Buy used 2 or 4 strokes

Hey there

I am looking to buy a bike in Australia. I moved to Australia 5 years ago and now it is time to get on the bike again.
I have been riding since I am 5 years old, in Brazil I still have a 2005 YZ125 and I love it. It is light and challenging.

I do have a limited budget, and I am willing to spend $3000 to $4000 on a used bike.
I have been looking around and same as we have in Brazil, 2 strokes are more expensive to buy than a second hand 4 strokes.

What I really would like to know is to maintain a bike here. How much more expensive is to maintain an 4 stroke than a 2? I know parts are more expensive and there are more parts. But is there a big difference?
Finally, I am willing to get an 4 stroke, I never had one, I would like to get on corners a little bit better, as they control are easier than 2 strokes.

Really appreciate you time and answers.
Regards
|
kb228
8/14/2019 4:57am
It depends. A new/freshly built 4 stroke has less maintenance. By the time you even touch the inside of the engine youll likely have done a piston or two on a 2 stroke. Not to mention not having to mix gas.. or mess with jetting

If theyre both used and not fresh, a 2 stroke all day long. a used high hour 4 stroke needs a lot of attention.

Also depends on how you ride too. Harder on the motor = more maintenance.

Just my opinion..
Talisker
8/14/2019 5:01am
The latest generation 4 strokes are way more reliable than two strokes ever were, so don't let the nay sayers scare you off. As a general common sense rule do the basics. Change oil and always clean your air filter. Change wearables when needed. There are good second hand bikes to be purchased with low hours. You will spot these like new gems immediately and will not have any buyers remorse.
8/14/2019 6:12pm
I only use the torque of the engine, pretty much low/mid range PRM
My dad and I used do maintain our bikes, and we just changed piston 2 times in our life time of the bikes. My 2005 is nearly without compression, and it is good because it doesn't have that kick from low to high RPM.

Thanks for the help guys.

The Shop

8/14/2019 6:14pm
Talisker
When you say the latest generation of 4 strokes, which year they start from?
Texas Built
8/14/2019 6:32pm
I would never buy a used 4 stroke more than a year or two old.
FARANG
8/14/2019 7:55pm
I'd never buy a used 4 stroke unless I knew the owner extremely well.

2 strokes you can take a bit more of a chance because if it rides OK, chances are it's pretty much OK.
wheres wally
Fantasy
809th
8/16/2019 4:20pm
There is nothing wrong with a used 250f once its clean and well looked after, I bought my first used bike in along time (Previously would buy my bikes new) when I moved to australia just over a year ago I bought a slightly used 18 250f before the 19s were released for half of what a new would cost.

My advice is don't be afraid of a used 4 stroke, just make sure its clean and doesn't look like it was abused. The same goes for a 2 stroke, just the 2 stroke costs less to set right.

Post a reply to: Buy used 2 or 4 strokes

The Latest