Burying things for jumps?

rt987
Edited Date/Time 10/7/2014 1:12pm
Anyone tried burying objects like round/square bales for jumps? I'm on a farm and have a pretty decent track, but my limiting factor is dirt. I haul dirt with a 3-ton grain truck and use a John Deere tractor with a loader for everything else. I was thinking, what if I buried round bales with dirt? That'd sure save a lot of it, and I'd get some pretty big jumps if I wanted.

Anyone done that? Is there something I should look out for? We have big square bales as well, that might be better.
|
ss415
10/5/2014 8:58pm
if its your land bury whatever you have as long as you have enough to cover it.
when i was in high school we built ALOT of huge bmx jumps in the desert by my house. we world bury everything from couches,cactus whole trees.

when a developer bought the land some ass hat went out and destroyed them claiming it was a liabilty. they tore them down then 2008 hit and there is still no houses where they used to be.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
10/5/2014 9:24pm
I buried my grandmother under a whoop in my backyard.
PTECH
10/5/2014 9:27pm
disbanded wrote:
Ahahahah! Well played.
10/5/2014 9:51pm Edited Date/Time 10/5/2014 9:51pm
I built the biggest double at our place with tree branches for the base of the takeoff and landing almost 10 years ago, saved me alot of dirt. Jumps still holding up great.

The Shop

me_da_racer
10/5/2014 10:04pm
I have a few junk cars that are going to be filler for a few jumps. Wish I had a bus.
Zracer
10/5/2014 11:45pm
Well at least it will look awesome as you jump through the putrid gases given off by the rotting hay.
40Plus_922mx
10/5/2014 11:48pm
Some of the teenage punks after my daughter serve our track well Wink
Crush
10/6/2014 3:15am
We had some big ass logs back in the day that were good for rhythm sections or singles and some smaller ones for whoops that were half buried... but you still needed to cover them with heaps of dirt cause you definitely didn't want a hard edge or log coming through... Basically the same as Martin's MXdN crash.
hillbilly
10/6/2014 5:26am
Haybales would rot overtime and leave a void which a wheel could break into and throw you into a double cain16 twist .

What I did and do building jump is rob the dirt at the low point of the track area. This hole becomes a sediment pond for the erosion to drain into and be reused.

I have a 3 bottom plow that is used to rip the ground ,this makes it much easier to scoop the dirt with the front loader .Also use a single bottom to cut drainage ditches from areas back to that pond so all the dirt washing away in heavy rains gets caught in the hole.

It is easier to pack the jumps if you make them a tractor and a half wide,this way you can back the tractor up the jump moving over a tire width each time and face the entire jump.. If its just tractor wide its impossible to pack the middle. of the jump.
rt987
10/6/2014 6:10am
hillbilly wrote:
Haybales would rot overtime and leave a void which a wheel could break into and throw you into a double cain16 twist . What I did...
Haybales would rot overtime and leave a void which a wheel could break into and throw you into a double cain16 twist .

What I did and do building jump is rob the dirt at the low point of the track area. This hole becomes a sediment pond for the erosion to drain into and be reused.

I have a 3 bottom plow that is used to rip the ground ,this makes it much easier to scoop the dirt with the front loader .Also use a single bottom to cut drainage ditches from areas back to that pond so all the dirt washing away in heavy rains gets caught in the hole.

It is easier to pack the jumps if you make them a tractor and a half wide,this way you can back the tractor up the jump moving over a tire width each time and face the entire jump.. If its just tractor wide its impossible to pack the middle. of the jump.
I wondered if they'd rot. Have to be super dry going in, I'd use straw for sure.

I've been using the tractor for 5 years now, getting pretty dang good at it! Taking dirt from the low spot isn't available, I'm in the middle of a hay field. Limited to using black dirt, due to the fact the boss wants to be able to level it all and farm it again should I move away. It's been a work in progress for 4 years now, what I really need is a gravel pup to haul more dirt from far away. That'd help a lot!

Guess the bales are out then.
IWreckALot
10/6/2014 6:21am
hillbilly wrote:
Haybales would rot overtime and leave a void which a wheel could break into and throw you into a double cain16 twist . What I did...

rt987 wrote:
I wondered if they'd rot. Have to be super dry going in, I'd use straw for sure. I've been using the tractor for 5 years now...
I wondered if they'd rot. Have to be super dry going in, I'd use straw for sure.

I've been using the tractor for 5 years now, getting pretty dang good at it! Taking dirt from the low spot isn't available, I'm in the middle of a hay field. Limited to using black dirt, due to the fact the boss wants to be able to level it all and farm it again should I move away. It's been a work in progress for 4 years now, what I really need is a gravel pup to haul more dirt from far away. That'd help a lot!

If you have hay bales readily available I wouldn't shy away from using them. They're not going to decompose overnight. It might even last a couple of years and the decomposition would be progressive so you could fill it as needed.

I get so tired of riding on black dirt though. The picture I posted above was from my race a couple of weeks ago. It was like holding on to an old school jack hammer for 70 minutes.
hillbilly
10/6/2014 6:24am
So you cant just dig a hole the width of the loader and biuld the jump beside the hole so you are not hauling then shove the jump back into the hole when done?

Ive built several tracks and have ripped up a section say 25 ft long with the plow then push that into a jump. It you are on level ground it would need to be beside the jump since it leaves a low spot on each side which would have standing water on flat ground.

I've found the rip method is easy on the loader. I've shoved around in hard ground with mine till it started having fatigue cracks in the bucket and bracing between the lift arms. An inspection and regular greasing will pay dividends.
hillbilly
10/6/2014 6:37am
I also use a hydraulic top link on the bottom plow so it can be lifted up out of the way to back over the jump for packing. You probably found that the narrow front tires just cut thru the loose pile.
huck
10/6/2014 7:02am
We have used hay for jumps for years for an arenacross...I'd say they would rot within a couple years, if they are dry or not.
At my house, I've used big rocks and stumps before. As long as you put enough dirt on top of them, it should be fine.
10/6/2014 7:29am
I have seen a semi trailer used to make a large table, it booted you way up, so the inside of the trailer had to be packed with stuff to make sure the structure didn't buckle when coming up short. It was setup in different configurations over the couple years it was used (tablel, step on/off, kicker in front of it and a dragon back off).
yak651
Fantasy
192nd
10/6/2014 7:45am
Hay bales will work, track I was a member of did this, redid the section 4 years latter and the bales were still in good shape. As long as you put enough dirt on and pack it down they should be fine.
Another person at a private track used telephone poles for whoops. Didn't put enough dirt on and they would just chew up your tires, definitely recommend fully covering anything you bury!
motoxxx599
Fantasy
875th
10/6/2014 8:52am
Ive jumped all kinds of jumps with cars, stacked lumber, etc. buried. there used to be this big double at this place in Houston called the door jump. The landing was a stack of old wooden doors with dirt on top.
10/6/2014 9:44am
i set out to build a double with nothing more than a shovel once.

turned out to be a pretty nice single lol

mxtech1
10/6/2014 10:51am
hillbilly wrote:

rt987 wrote:
I wondered if they'd rot. Have to be super dry going in, I'd use straw for sure. I've been using the tractor for 5 years now...

Have you talked to the "Boss" about burying things in the field? If he's concerned with being able to later re-take the spot for crop production, I would be skeptical to think he's going to want crap buried out there.

He's going to think, "Ok, so you want to move a bunch of dirt around and bury stuff, so when you leave not only do I have to re-grade the field, now I have to spend the extra time separating out all of the garbage you've buried?
Premix4Life
Fantasy
1148th
10/6/2014 11:32am
Back in the day, refrigerators worked well for BMX rhythm sections...
Outsider
10/6/2014 11:37am
disbanded wrote:
Gives new meaning to going down in the whoops
Cygnus
10/6/2014 11:38am Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 11:39am
hillbilly wrote:

rt987 wrote:

mxtech1 wrote:
Have you talked to the "Boss" about burying things in the field? If he's concerned with being able to later re-take the spot for crop production...
Have you talked to the "Boss" about burying things in the field? If he's concerned with being able to later re-take the spot for crop production, I would be skeptical to think he's going to want crap buried out there.

He's going to think, "Ok, so you want to move a bunch of dirt around and bury stuff, so when you leave not only do I have to re-grade the field, now I have to spend the extra time separating out all of the garbage you've buried?
Yea for sure. I've been tempted to use items for jumps like an old chevy suburban that I had. Well I recycled that old thing and got $400 dollars. Spent that on deisel for the loader and built 4 times what it would have been had it been buried. So I'd stick to biodegradable stuff if I were you.
mjskier
10/6/2014 12:38pm
There is a track in drive by once a year on my way to the DMV (because I'm too much pf a procrastinator to just return the license renewal card in the mail)
They used large cement pipes (sewer pipes) under several of the jumps. These come in all kind of sizes (probably expensive)

JustMX
10/6/2014 5:42pm
Been building tracks.for 25 years.

buried stuff always comes back to haunt you.

what would a.round bale.save you, two cubic yards at most? Not.worth the hassle.of it getting mixed.in with the good dirt if you make changes or more.importantly, making a soft spot that will cause problems.
dak446
10/6/2014 5:58pm
JustMX wrote:
Been building tracks.for 25 years. buried stuff always comes back to haunt you. what would a.round bale.save you, two cubic yards at most? Not.worth the hassle.of...
Been building tracks.for 25 years.

buried stuff always comes back to haunt you.

what would a.round bale.save you, two cubic yards at most? Not.worth the hassle.of it getting mixed.in with the good dirt if you make changes or more.importantly, making a soft spot that will cause problems.
This. The track will be incredibly difficult to change if you bury small objects. A big one here or there isn't a big deal, especially in a long tabletop or something that will likely never move, but use them sparingly, if at all
Racerx930
10/6/2014 6:33pm Edited Date/Time 10/6/2014 6:40pm
We buried a couple of oilfield tanks in ours.
MXVet261
Fantasy
4078th
10/6/2014 6:40pm
Motoland in Indiana buried parts of BUILDINGS.....

Post a reply to: Burying things for jumps?

The Latest