Burnt to a crisp

Related:
Create New Tag

12/9/2018 8:40 PM

How many bikes have actually burnt down because someone took the backfire screen out of their air box? Does anyone actually know anyone that this happened too?

|

12/9/2018 8:46 PM

I watched one burn down even though it still had the screen in.

Basic scenario goes like this..... clearance on intake valves zeros out. This means the valves are not shutting completely and are being held open a bit. We all know the bike gets difficult/impossible to kick start when intake valve clearance goes away. So, you sit there kicking away, dumping lots of raw fuel in there. Eventually the bike "coughs" or backfires backwards through the intake. That little screen isn't going to stop that fireball. It's gets even better if you clean your filter with gas/diesel/kerosene. That fireball loves that oil soaked foam rubber filter.

|

Powerband in every gear !

12/10/2018 5:55 AM

Gotcha. Safe to say it's really rare?

|

12/10/2018 6:18 AM

I can say ive never had one in my 450 the 4 years ive owned it and its never caught fire....

|

12/10/2018 6:29 AM

in 2010 at the catalina grand prix Kurt Caselli was leading the pro race when his bike caught fire. They had removed his backfire screen for better performance. It caused him to DNF, and Kendall Norman won the pro race.

|

12/10/2018 6:32 AM

I don't think the No Toil oil would catch fire, as it's not petroleum based. There are also non-flammable filters you can buy if you're worried about them catching fire. My ex bought my son a Chinese pit bike some years back and the filter caught fire. The bike had an open filter with no air box so it was easy enough to put out. Scared the shit out of my kid though! I'm glad I was right there to deal with it.

|

Current rides: 2016 KTM 250SXF, 2017 KTM 350SXF

12/10/2018 7:37 AM

2stroked wrote:

in 2010 at the catalina grand prix Kurt Caselli was leading the pro race when his bike caught fire. They had removed his backfire screen for better performance. It caused him to DNF, and Kendall Norman won the pro race.

And the race never came back sad

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

12/10/2018 8:55 AM

Been running no backfire on Hondas since 2004, never an issue.

But I am a No-Toil guy (mentioned above it doesn't burn), which you all should be.

|

12/10/2018 9:33 AM

I've seen a few of them catch fire and burn.

|

2017 RMZ450
2005 YZ250-sold :,(
1998 YZ250
2005 KX250F

80% of the time it works every time
IG @hammerfamily_4 & @2HRacing
Thanks to : Factory Effex, N2Dirt, Acerbis, DT1, Fasthouse, Matix, FMF, ASV, 100% & Mika Metals

12/10/2018 10:04 AM

I saw a backfire on a carbed Honda, maybe an 08. It was a freak deal I think. A guy over jumped, landed and stalled and bumped almost all at once. It backfired and started burning. It didn't burn completely, air filter, airbox and part of the airboot.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

12/10/2018 10:11 AM

It was more a problem on the carb bikes, with fuel injection it's no problem remove the backfirescreen.

|

12/10/2018 10:16 AM

I’ve seen a KTM catch fire cause of the screen being removed. However, it was a carbureted bike.

|

12/10/2018 10:52 AM

mtl wrote:

But I am a No-Toil guy (mentioned above it doesn't burn), which you all should be.

The red bottle no toil is alcohol based isn't it?

|

12/10/2018 10:53 AM

mtl wrote:

sam hain wrote:

Yes but the Green bottle not so much

|

12/10/2018 3:14 PM

It happened pichon s crf 450 in the GPS one year . .

|

12/10/2018 3:34 PM

I've had 6 450f's over the years.

All burnt to the ground.

|

12/10/2018 5:03 PM

mtl wrote:

I wanted to be a No-Toil guy, I really did. I swore by Bel-Ray for over 10 years before I was convinced to switch to No-Toil. It’s affordable, applying is easy, cleaning is easy, no chemicals/petrols needed.

I bought new filters for all my bikes and started using No-Toil. 3 different bikes, all the same outcome, sand getting through the filters into carb. Maybe it works in other parts of the world with different soil conditions, but in Florida sand it’s a joke. Switched back to Bel-Ray and haven’t had a problem since.

|

12/10/2018 6:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2018 6:32 PM

mtl wrote:

Iridereallyslow wrote:

I wanted to be a No-Toil guy, I really did. I swore by Bel-Ray for over 10 years before I was convinced to switch to No-Toil. It’s affordable, applying is easy, cleaning is easy, no chemicals/petrols needed.

I bought new filters for all my bikes and started using No-Toil. 3 different bikes, all the same outcome, sand getting through the filters into carb. Maybe it works in other parts of the world with different soil conditions, but in Florida sand it’s a joke. Switched back to Bel-Ray and haven’t had a problem since.

How often do you change filters and do you use rim grease? I ask because I run Twin Air filters and No-Toil oil and rim grease. I change filters every ride day without exception, and inspect my filters thoroughly. My wife loves all the clean oiled filter hanging all over the garage, se says they look like breast implants..... Anyway, I have never had so much as a speck come through. I live here in the Indiana/Michigan border about 25 min from Red Bud, and we have many, many sand tracks around here.

EDIT: I also leave backfire screens in.

|

12/10/2018 6:26 PM

JB500 wrote:

How often do you change filters and do you use rim grease? I ask because I run Twin Air filters and No-Toil oil and rim grease. I change filters every ride day without exception, and inspect my filters thoroughly. My wife loves all the clean oiled filter hanging all over the garage, se says they look like breast implants..... Anyway, I have never had so much as a speck come through. I live here in the Indiana/Michigan border about 25 min from Red Bud, and we have many, many sand tracks around here.

EDIT: I also leave backfire screens in.

My experience and approach is the same. Clean filter every ride, oiled the night before with rim grease. No issues here in NJ and pretty much nothing but deep sand hare scrambles, some of which are literally held at working sand pits. I check the airboot religioisly and have never found anything.

Cleaning with soap and water sure beats the chemicals.

And FWIW i leave the backfire screen in on the four strokes. smile

|

12/10/2018 7:05 PM

Iridereallyslow wrote:

Live in FL also, no such issues. No backfire screens in my fourstroke either.

|

12/13/2018 6:50 AM

mtl wrote:

sam hain wrote:

Even if it is, that should evaporate pretty quickly. Alcohol is used as a medium and thinning agent, but it’s volatility should leave just the sticky residue after it’s been applied for awhile.

|

12/13/2018 6:53 AM

MDana87 wrote:

Gotcha. Safe to say it's really rare?

More like really well-done.

|