Advice on rear wheel for sand/dunes

Related:
Create New Tag

1/14/2019 4:17 PM

Hi guys, I have a 2018 yz250f and I just bought a new rear wheel to use for dunes riding only (Glamis, Dumont, etc.). I wanted some advice on tires and gearing. First off, I'm assuming a paddle tire is the best option, but I see the Michelin Starcross 5 Sand and am wondering if people have ridden with this at the dunes and how they like it? It seems like it might be a pretty versatile tire, but I would be using this ONLY for dunes so I want to get what is best.

I don't recognize any of the manufacturers of the paddle tires, so does anyone have any recommendations for a tire model? Also, from what I'm reading I should be getting a 6-paddle as opposed to 8-paddle on my 250f?

Finally, I'm planning on getting a sprocket with stock 50T gearing, anyone recommend differently?

Thanks in advance.

|

1/14/2019 5:17 PM

I have used the MX12 and its awesome in the sand. If you are riding just dunes a legit 6 paddle would be better but the mx12 is a good all around sand tire. Star Cross 5 sand would be similar.

I never buy a legit paddle tire only because I can use a MX12 at tracks around Michigan, a light paddle tire is a dunes only expense.

|

1/14/2019 6:42 PM

Def use a 6 paddle and since it’s dune specific I’d recommend that over a Mx tire. It’s all about wheel speed in the sand, I’ve found that smaller scoops are actually faster that a paddle with huge scoops.

|

1/16/2019 11:17 AM

Thanks. Sounds like 6 paddle is the way to go, although they only one I can find that fits the bike is the AMS Sand Snake. Hopefully that one will work out for me.

|