Building My Track

1/18/2019 8:06pm
brody wrote:
any updates
Brody, more clay arriving in about nine hours. I think he's going to be able to run at least six dump truck loads tomorrow. That might do it. Thanks for asking.
brody
1/18/2019 8:15pm
cool
i could have got you about 6 clean loads of fill clay mix today, and a skid steer or loader, i posted eariler
we stopped hauling dirt today
1/18/2019 8:36pm
brody wrote:
cool i could have got you about 6 clean loads of fill clay mix today, and a skid steer or loader, i posted eariler we stopped...
cool
i could have got you about 6 clean loads of fill clay mix today, and a skid steer or loader, i posted eariler
we stopped hauling dirt today
Where in Georgia are you?
brody
1/18/2019 8:39pm
roswell
but we own a heavy civil construction company and were just hauling out dirt from down there about 45 min north of NFMX

The Shop

1/18/2019 8:46pm
brody wrote:
roswell
but we own a heavy civil construction company and were just hauling out dirt from down there about 45 min north of NFMX
Oh ok. Wow wish I hadn't missed that opportunity. Thank you for trying.
brody
1/18/2019 8:51pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2019 8:55pm
ill see if we are still hauling tomorrow and get back
edit- called my foreman not hauling tomorrow but maybe tuesday
1/18/2019 8:57pm
brody wrote:
ill see if we are still hauling tomorrow and get back
edit- called my foreman not hauling tomorrow but maybe tuesday
By the way I live just south of Folkston. About a half mile from the Florida/Georgia line.
brody
1/18/2019 9:02pm
i would call around to the local construction company and see if they have any extra dirt
we give it away all the time
if so you can get a dump truck and driver for about 12 an hour to hall an the company will load you.
1/22/2019 11:57am
Most of my jumps are lots of stumps that were covered up with existing dirt. My two water trucks were both $1000 each plus the tanks and pumps. Saved up and rented a dozer every six months for several years before I finally bought one.

dedi684
1/22/2019 6:29pm
Made my track with a 37 hp deere with bucket. Its wasnt perfect in the beginning but it was awesome for 10+ years. Pay attention to drainage or puddle areas. I towed disks as well they helped tremendously.
1/23/2019 5:14am
I'm getting better at making berms. It really helps when the clay is not dumped onto the very spot the berm is to be built.

Nearby is best for me.

brody
1/23/2019 5:53am
looking good
when you are done i would disk every thing then till it
mmain62
1/23/2019 6:17am
Anonymous wrote:
It's not as easy as I thought it would be. I've quickly figured out shaping berms is not easy with a tractor sporting only a front...
It's not as easy as I thought it would be. I've quickly figured out shaping berms is not easy with a tractor sporting only a front bucket and not enough horsepower. But I'll tell you I've rode that John Deere hard and it doesn't miss a beat. Anyhow, here's some pics. Obviously it still needs lots of work and a lot more clay. Weather permitting I should be getting at least five more loads delivered this coming Saturday.

Have faith brother IT CAN BE DONE. I do all of my dirt work with a 32hp Kubota with a bucket. Just takes time and finesse. Good luck on your track.

1/23/2019 7:40am
mmain62 wrote:
Have faith brother IT CAN BE DONE. I do all of my dirt work with a 32hp Kubota with a bucket. Just takes time and finesse...
Have faith brother IT CAN BE DONE. I do all of my dirt work with a 32hp Kubota with a bucket. Just takes time and finesse. Good luck on your track.

Man, that looks fantastic. There's definitely a learning curve to shaping a berm with a bucket. As I said above, it helps when the entire load of clay is not dumped into the corner. That's akin to trying to make a sculpture out of a block of marble.
mmain62
1/23/2019 7:57am
Man, that looks fantastic. There's definitely a learning curve to shaping a berm with a bucket. As I said above, it helps when the entire load...
Man, that looks fantastic. There's definitely a learning curve to shaping a berm with a bucket. As I said above, it helps when the entire load of clay is not dumped into the corner. That's akin to trying to make a sculpture out of a block of marble.
Thank You, I know all about the dirt being dumped in the wrong spot. I had a family member offer me free dirt and when they brought it out they dumped it directly on a jump face and it was full of trash and junk. Took a lil while to move it all, it was frustrating. Another family member built a house down the road and had the contractors dump all of the dirt near the track. I am pumped on how much dirt I got for free but it takes for ever to move dirt across 10 acres a loader bucket at a time. Post pictures of the finished product, I cant wait to see your set up. No better feeling then having your own track to rip moto after moto on.
Kid Spam
1/23/2019 9:22am Edited Date/Time 1/23/2019 9:23am
Ruts, ruts and more ruts. Berms just collect standing water. They will form themselves, or shape the lines you would want to berm up. Let anything you shape with your bucket set up for longer than you want to stay off of it. Remember, the liability is yours. Lay something out that flows and improves skills. Big jumps are at every other track on the planet. You will thoroughly enjoy that tractor time prepping and repairing. Have fun
1/23/2019 9:41am
Thanks man. No big jumps for me. I'm over that. I'm making a track that has lots of berms right and left. I have one small double and one regular jump. I want to put in some tables, but need more clay. I am always interested in improving my skills, but the main point to me is just having fun. I'm closing on 60, so I think the ship for me turning pro has sailed. In fact, it's not even in the harbor anymore.
Kid Spam
1/23/2019 10:04am
Thanks man. No big jumps for me. I'm over that. I'm making a track that has lots of berms right and left. I have one small...
Thanks man. No big jumps for me. I'm over that. I'm making a track that has lots of berms right and left. I have one small double and one regular jump. I want to put in some tables, but need more clay. I am always interested in improving my skills, but the main point to me is just having fun. I'm closing on 60, so I think the ship for me turning pro has sailed. In fact, it's not even in the harbor anymore.
That's great! I'm 57, had my own track for 10 plus years. Enjoyed it so much. BTW, you can rent a dump trailer fairly cheap. I've done that too move dirt faster. Worth a look.
Wade221
3/8/2019 8:32am Edited Date/Time 3/8/2019 8:38am
Harry, any updates on track? AA help ya out at all?

*Edit- I just noticed the infamous Brody offered to give you some free dirt a few months ago. Wow! What a guy??
Wiztardo
3/8/2019 11:54am
This really just makes me happy to see. Looking forward to more progress posts.
3/8/2019 12:11pm
Wade221 wrote:
Harry, any updates on track? AA help ya out at all? *Edit- I just noticed the infamous Brody offered to give you some free dirt a...
Harry, any updates on track? AA help ya out at all?

*Edit- I just noticed the infamous Brody offered to give you some free dirt a few months ago. Wow! What a guy??
I did get more done last week, but I'm still not done. It rained hard again for two days and caused carnage with everything but my crawfish and the fish pond. If it stays dry I should be able to get it done this weekend. AA volunteered his services but I told him "I got it." I've turned into a pretty good berm builder with some practice.
3/8/2019 12:12pm
Wiztardo wrote:
This really just makes me happy to see. Looking forward to more progress posts.
Thank you, sir. If you're ever in South Georgia, let me know. Update with pictures coming next week if the rain stays away for a few days.
JRT812
3/8/2019 12:50pm
Looking great my man! Harry bro... you sir are living life
3/19/2019 5:55am
Ok so got the track roughed in and had a fast friend bring his 2019 450 out so I could get an idea of how my corners worked out. They need work and I need more clay, but he really liked the little left hander in the vid below. More pictures coming shortly.

soggy
Fantasy
3846th
3/19/2019 6:57am
it's hard to make a berm from scratch where there isn't already an established line, getting the radius and length of it right is hard when your in the machine. Same goes for jump building, when the snow melts here and i start tuning up the track im going to start using stakes to mark out jump faces/ landings, whoops, corners etc..
Crush
3/19/2019 7:05am
Get that little tractor and push the ground up from the outside.

I may or may not have infuriated Dad working his John Deere to hell to build trails and jumps but you just gotta get digging! Good if you've had some rain too!
3/19/2019 8:07am
Crush wrote:
Get that little tractor and push the ground up from the outside. I may or may not have infuriated Dad working his John Deere to hell...
Get that little tractor and push the ground up from the outside.

I may or may not have infuriated Dad working his John Deere to hell to build trails and jumps but you just gotta get digging! Good if you've had some rain too!
Easier said than done, my Awesome Aussie Mate! The ground is harder than your boss' head around here. Which is so weird, because I'm exactly 3 miles north of North Florida Motocross track which if the owner hadn't brought in tons of Georgia Red it would be a beach sand track.

Anyhow, my tractor can dig, but it's a slow process due to the hardness of the gumbo clay. Plus, I want my track to be pure Georgia Red.

Another thing I learned Sunday...a 450 ridden by a good rider can make some freaking ruts. He went through the 5 or 6 inches of clay in a hurry and got down into the muck in probably six laps or so - but only in the low areas where it is almost perpetually wet. I'm going to have to bring in more clay - which I already knew because I want to build some jumps.
ZM956
3/19/2019 8:25am
Looks good! Love seeing the progress man. It would be nice to have some more tracks like these around my part of the state. I may need to just move down a little further south!

Post a reply to: Building My Track

The Latest