Budget MX tire review?

Edited Date/Time 4/28/2021 8:29am
I see quite a bit of positive feedback on many of the new "house brand" tires carried by several of the big online retailers. Has anyone done a budget MX tire shootout yet? I'd like to see how they compare to one another on a variety of different surfaces.

If not, I bet this would be a popular topic for you to tackle, VitalMX team.
|
Hman144
Fantasy
713th
4/27/2021 6:57am
Wachu talkin 'bout Willis? What big online retailers have house brand tires? Are there Tusk tires now? Fill us in s'il vous plait.
CKNY
4/27/2021 7:03am
Hman144 wrote:
Wachu talkin 'bout Willis? What big online retailers have house brand tires? Are there Tusk tires now? Fill us in s'il vous plait.
Tusk has a line of tires.
FWYT
4/27/2021 7:19am
I've also wondered about this brand. https://www.instagram.com/trustmemxtires/
Spoke to guy a couple times and he is for sure passionate about riding and trying
to do a decent tire at a decent price. Gotta at least applaud that!
docweedon
4/27/2021 7:35am
FWYT wrote:
I've also wondered about this brand. https://www.instagram.com/trustmemxtires/ Spoke to guy a couple times and he is for sure passionate about riding and trying to do a...
Spoke to guy a couple times and he is for sure passionate about riding and trying
I have used Trustme Mx tires and for the price was a great option when the funds were tight last summer. Mike is a good guy and am happy to support him when I can. Best thing is that Mike delivered the tire to my house. How cool is that?

With that said, I went with a 110/90-19 for my 450 and once mounted it looked to have a skinnier profile than the Dunlop MX3s I was replacing. It looked more like a 100/90-19. Tire wear surprised me after a few months of track riding and a couple desert trips, and while I have replaced in on my 450, it was good enough to put on my 250 2stroke.
Overall traction was good, though I always felt the side bite wasn't as good as the Dunlop it replaced. I will say, it is better than the Maxxis that is on my bike ATM, as there Maxxis is already chunking side knobs only after 3 rides.

I would for sure buy a TrustMe MX Tire again, mount it on my spare wheel and use for weekend track days.

The Shop

FWYT
4/27/2021 8:04am
FWYT wrote:
I've also wondered about this brand. https://www.instagram.com/trustmemxtires/ Spoke to guy a couple times and he is for sure passionate about riding and trying to do a...
docweedon wrote:
I have used Trustme Mx tires and for the price was a great option when the funds were tight last summer. Mike is a good guy...
I have used Trustme Mx tires and for the price was a great option when the funds were tight last summer. Mike is a good guy and am happy to support him when I can. Best thing is that Mike delivered the tire to my house. How cool is that?

With that said, I went with a 110/90-19 for my 450 and once mounted it looked to have a skinnier profile than the Dunlop MX3s I was replacing. It looked more like a 100/90-19. Tire wear surprised me after a few months of track riding and a couple desert trips, and while I have replaced in on my 450, it was good enough to put on my 250 2stroke.
Overall traction was good, though I always felt the side bite wasn't as good as the Dunlop it replaced. I will say, it is better than the Maxxis that is on my bike ATM, as there Maxxis is already chunking side knobs only after 3 rides.

I would for sure buy a TrustMe MX Tire again, mount it on my spare wheel and use for weekend track days.

Good to hear, thank you!

Yeah, just talking to him I got the feeling his heart is in the right place and that counts for some support itself.
Roostermx58
4/27/2021 8:13am Edited Date/Time 4/27/2021 8:14am
I ordered a tusk T-35. Just waiting to mount and ride with it.

BroFoSho
4/27/2021 8:37am
I've tried them before.
Are Dunlops better? Yes. Are the cheap tires horrible? No.

The biggest difference I felt was on the front. The tire wanted to push and wash out on flat corners. I think for me (mid-pack B rider) a great combo would be a dunlop front tire, and then the cheapo $35 rear tire.
garagedog
Fantasy
722nd
4/27/2021 11:50am
I purchased TUsk for a customer. Heavy and the rear 100/100x 18 was difficult to mount.
I rode a ride or 2 on it and the tire lasted good but didn't bite very well.

You get what you pay for most of the time.
4/27/2021 9:32pm
garagedog wrote:
I purchased TUsk for a customer. Heavy and the rear 100/100x 18 was difficult to mount. I rode a ride or 2 on it and the...
I purchased TUsk for a customer. Heavy and the rear 100/100x 18 was difficult to mount.
I rode a ride or 2 on it and the tire lasted good but didn't bite very well.

You get what you pay for most of the time.
I had the opposite experience mounting my 18” Tusk rear tire. Mounted in probably less than 10 minutes and has held up great for the price. Would strongly recommend as an affordable tire option.

4/27/2021 9:34pm
BroFoSho wrote:
I've tried them before. Are Dunlops better? Yes. Are the cheap tires horrible? No. The biggest difference I felt was on the front. The tire wanted...
I've tried them before.
Are Dunlops better? Yes. Are the cheap tires horrible? No.

The biggest difference I felt was on the front. The tire wanted to push and wash out on flat corners. I think for me (mid-pack B rider) a great combo would be a dunlop front tire, and then the cheapo $35 rear tire.
I wrote a review a couple weeks ago on the Tusk front tire and in my opinion it was great. I raced with it and felt like it resembled Dunlop’s old MX71.
ccullins
4/28/2021 8:29am
Picked up a RINALDI SR 39 just before the two stroke national at Glen Helen because we where out of his usual tires. My son and I shared his bike. Both of us got great starts and where extremely impressed with how the tire worked. He has left the tire on and it’s holding up really well. His best comment on the tire was that he didn’t even notice it, which means it was hooking up and not sliding out in corners.

https://www.chapmoto.com/rinaldi-sr-39-rear-tire.html
kNewc
4/28/2021 11:39am
I got some Sedoma Hard Packs for more than half off (only reason I got them) and they were terrible. I'm a slow C guy and I even noticed they were horrendous. I took them out in our hardpack field and slid all over the place. Then in soft stuff they just dug in and didn't do shit lol
Spudnut
4/28/2021 11:46am
Mx media outlets don’t cater to broke peasants like us
LungButter
4/28/2021 11:53am
Here's my thoughts from doing absolutely no actual "shootouts".

The cheap/bargain/house brand tires I've tried have been decent when they are fresh and the knobs are sharp. Where the "name brand" tires really start to shine over the others is when the knobs start to get a little rounded. My opinion is that Michelin have the best traction/performance for the entire life of the tire, makes it worth a few extra bucks most the time for me.

Post a reply to: Budget MX tire review?

The Latest