Budds Creek law suit

Related:
Create New Tag

3/5/2020 10:11 PM

Insurance sucks also. They get away with what they want. They will pay the claim but good luck getting insurance again and if you can it will be sky high. That’s the issue with insurance is they are allowed to do pretty much anything they want. You have it and something happens and then you can’t get covered again.

|

3/6/2020 4:48 AM

I never thought I'd read a Vital board where the consensus is that publicly owned health insurance would help save US motocross tracks.

|

3/6/2020 4:24 PM

This kind of stuff can kill our sport.

|

3/6/2020 4:38 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

I never thought I'd read a Vital board where the consensus is that publicly owned health insurance would help save US motocross tracks.

You still havent

|

3/6/2020 7:41 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

I hope the injured rider recovers and Budd's Creek doesn't have a lawsuit.

The combination of a litigious country with private sector health insurance is clearly bad for motocross tracks. Even without incident, I imagine liability insurance for the track owner is more expensive in the US than elsewhere.

What does private insurance have to do with this. So public insurance wpuldnt just outlaw dangerous activities? Like with a certain european country banning skateboarding, for having too many claims from injuries.

|

3/6/2020 7:49 PM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

I agree and its sad but when people get hurt they want to blame someone else. sad

|

Ed Johnson

3/6/2020 8:31 PM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

Not if the track owners did something that could be regarded as grossly negligent, fortunately.

|

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.

3/6/2020 10:30 PM

Whisky throttle in a big gulp? That’s gonna be a problem 😂

|

3/6/2020 11:19 PM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

Momus wrote:

Not if the track owners did something that could be regarded as grossly negligent, fortunately.

If there is something grossly negligent, I pack and leave the place,..... I do not keep riding and blame the track later if something happens.

And I could get paralyzed and do not pay a dime in my country.... It's about being accountable on what you do

|

3/6/2020 11:55 PM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

Momus wrote:

Not if the track owners did something that could be regarded as grossly negligent, fortunately.

Berni wrote:

If there is something grossly negligent, I pack and leave the place,..... I do not keep riding and blame the track later if something happens.

And I could get paralyzed and do not pay a dime in my country.... It's about being accountable on what you do

Ditto.

There is a case in Australia where a prominent rider struck some earth moving equipment that was being used on the track during a race. Hard to forsee that coming over a blind obstacle.

|

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.

3/7/2020 4:52 AM

sandtrack315 wrote:

I hope the injured rider recovers and Budd's Creek doesn't have a lawsuit.

The combination of a litigious country with private sector health insurance is clearly bad for motocross tracks. Even without incident, I imagine liability insurance for the track owner is more expensive in the US than elsewhere.

coastlinecascot wrote:

What does private insurance have to do with this. So public insurance wpuldnt just outlaw dangerous activities? Like with a certain european country banning skateboarding, for having too many claims from injuries.

That was Norway in the 1970s man. It was because they didn’t want kids hurt, not because they didn’t want to pay.

|

3/7/2020 5:13 AM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

While I agree to a extent, that’s easier to say than live through. I’ve seen panic do different things to different people. I think some start thinking worse case scenarios and mounting hospital bills and panic sets in. And some, unfortunately, just want to blame someone else.

|

3/7/2020 7:11 AM

Mossy wrote:

I do feel bad for the guy because obviously that sucks. But, it is 100% his fault. If I crash this weekend and get paralyzed, it's 100% my fault. I chose to ride the dirtbike on a track, and it is my responsibility to not do anything out of my skill level.

wolf918 wrote:

While I agree to a extent, that’s easier to say than live through. I’ve seen panic do different things to different people. I think some start thinking worse case scenarios and mounting hospital bills and panic sets in. And some, unfortunately, just want to blame someone else.

I can agree with that.

|

3/7/2020 8:14 AM

Esquire

|

3/7/2020 9:34 AM

Momus wrote:

Not if the track owners did something that could be regarded as grossly negligent, fortunately.

Berni wrote:

If there is something grossly negligent, I pack and leave the place,..... I do not keep riding and blame the track later if something happens.

And I could get paralyzed and do not pay a dime in my country.... It's about being accountable on what you do

Momus wrote:

Ditto.

There is a case in Australia where a prominent rider struck some earth moving equipment that was being used on the track during a race. Hard to forsee that coming over a blind obstacle.

That is different that's negligence on the track's behalf and the only reason to sue. If they leave a piece of equipment in the middle of the track without closing it down or are digging out a new section that again is not closed off than I could understand but if you get hurt riding and the track owners didn't have a hand in it then you should never file a lawsuit. He will never win all he will do is make their insurance go up. Only weekend warriors posers sue over injuries a real racer would never do that because they know it's their own fault. I don't care how hurt he got filing a lawsuit is the lowest of the low and that's why there are so many tracks closing they can't afford the insurance. I worked at the first indoor facility Mototown USA and we had Riders go out in the ambulance multiple times every day plus two deaths and we were only sued by beginners or people that have no idea what this sport is all about and they never won a single cent!

|

3/7/2020 9:35 AM
Edited Date/Time: 3/7/2020 9:36 AM

I'm at Budds right now. Track prep is excellent, flaggers everywhere, split practices, nothing exceptionally dangerous anywhere. Place is excellent so is the owner, I hope nothing comes of the lawsuit.

|

3/7/2020 10:13 AM

Berni wrote:

If there is something grossly negligent, I pack and leave the place,..... I do not keep riding and blame the track later if something happens.

And I could get paralyzed and do not pay a dime in my country.... It's about being accountable on what you do

Momus wrote:

Ditto.

There is a case in Australia where a prominent rider struck some earth moving equipment that was being used on the track during a race. Hard to forsee that coming over a blind obstacle.

Rider972 wrote:

That is different that's negligence on the track's behalf and the only reason to sue. If they leave a piece of equipment in the middle of the track without closing it down or are digging out a new section that again is not closed off than I could understand but if you get hurt riding and the track owners didn't have a hand in it then you should never file a lawsuit. He will never win all he will do is make their insurance go up. Only weekend warriors posers sue over injuries a real racer would never do that because they know it's their own fault. I don't care how hurt he got filing a lawsuit is the lowest of the low and that's why there are so many tracks closing they can't afford the insurance. I worked at the first indoor facility Mototown USA and we had Riders go out in the ambulance multiple times every day plus two deaths and we were only sued by beginners or people that have no idea what this sport is all about and they never won a single cent!

The degree of negligence is exactly what these cases are about. My example was blatant. What if a tyre is dislodged onto the track by a rider going off and that causes an accident, or an unnanounced kicker?

|

If the glass is half full it's twice as big as it needs to be.

3/7/2020 10:51 AM

To use negligence is just to open the door to let them dig into the business. Remember they want to insure but never want to have to use their money so when the losses become greater than they feel they will try and recoup some of their losses. Guys that’s the insurance business.
Now with this type of injury they will incur long term costs and it leads to a much larger lawsuit. Remember it’s not to go after someone because of dislike it’s going after them to recover their losses. Car insurance is almost the same way. That’s what the law allows. They have to go to the deepest pocket to get their money and sometimes they also drag the small ones along.

|

3/7/2020 1:29 PM

People kinda suck when they become invisible within a big business, but keep the spotlight on them and they'll at least act like they care about their job. But, healthcare as a human right will have very little to no effect on lawsuits. Even if they gave this guy a million dollars and covered his medical costs just to be nice, all it'd do is delay the inevitable lawsuit wanting more.

|

3/7/2020 8:39 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

I hope the injured rider recovers and Budd's Creek doesn't have a lawsuit.

The combination of a litigious country with private sector health insurance is clearly bad for motocross tracks. Even without incident, I imagine liability insurance for the track owner is more expensive in the US than elsewhere.

coastlinecascot wrote:

What does private insurance have to do with this. So public insurance wpuldnt just outlaw dangerous activities? Like with a certain european country banning skateboarding, for having too many claims from injuries.

sandtrack315 wrote:

That was Norway in the 1970s man. It was because they didn’t want kids hurt, not because they didn’t want to pay.

1996

|

3/7/2020 9:42 PM

This sure ain't the place to talk about it

|

3/7/2020 9:52 PM

disbanded wrote:

This sure ain't the place to talk about it

Gibby just hasn't seen it yet.

|

3/8/2020 5:06 AM

LOL. Check the stats. The US pays way more and has worse outcomes than most first world countries. We are the outlier. Insurance is just spreading the risk around. The government can do that just fine. And if you want faster or more specialized care, you pay. That’s how Singapore does it. I’m tired of tracks being sued by private insurance companies.

|

3/8/2020 5:07 AM

And the people saying you can switch? Most towns only have one cable provider. Most jobs only have one insurance option.

|

3/8/2020 8:18 AM

Zacka1661, do you have ANY comments on the title of this thread, Budd's Creek lawsuit??

Are there a lot of USA citizens coming onto AUS websites and telling them what is wrong with AUS?

If you need to bitch about a country you don't even live in, can you go to non-moto or even off VitalMX? This is "supposed to be" a dirt bike place.

Thanks.

|

3/8/2020 8:59 AM

They need to pass a law like in colorado. You cant sue the ski resort. Buy your own insurance. Take your own risk.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

3/10/2020 3:21 AM

" the publicly funded socialist american court system"

Dude. Why are you still on here bashing the USA then try to say it brings it back to on-topic?

Are you ever going to ride at Budd's Creek? Have you ever been there? I have. That is why I checked in on this thread, not to hear someone bashing some country and place they have nothing to do with.

Jeez.

|

3/10/2020 3:39 AM

How would that do anything? The insurance company will try to recover their costs regardless.

|

HAF

3/10/2020 3:58 AM

731chopper wrote:

I understand your point and I don’t have the answers on how to do it exactly but that’s why I said I’m somewhat for it and I said basic healthcare.

My girlfriend got an IV infusion to help with walking pneumonia she can’t get rid of from an IV bar yesterday. It was $90 and she said that was a lot less expensive than going to her primary care doctor where they charge over $300 for the same thing. I told her the difference is because health insurance is involved at the doctor where as the IV bar actually has to market a price the average cash paying American can afford. I think removing health insurance from a lot of healthcare services would be the best thing to get costs back in line of affordability but, unfortunately, I don’t think that will ever happen.

What's an " IV bar " ?

Like a Bar, where you go in to get a drink, but you just go in for an IV (of various substances) ? Or am I taking things too literally?

Just a question, that's all.

|

3/10/2020 6:03 AM

Some of you guys are making a pretty big assumption that it is an insurance company behind this lawsuit.

That seems unlikely to me because it is so soon after the incident. Insurance companies just don't seem set up to move that quickly.

I have some familiarity with track related litigation and also know promoters that have gone through lawsuits.

I really can't recall any that were brought by insurance companies.

That is not saying that litigants didn't feel pressure from medical and long term care expenses and grasp at straws when they feel overwhelmed.

|