Budds Creek Regional

JBlain619
Edited Date/Time 8/7/2013 7:20pm
Yesterday at the Budds Creek Amateur Regional there were 3 riders airlifted from the track. I was wondering if anyone knew the status of any of them. There was one in particular that happened right in from of us in the 2 stroke class, it was pretty bad. It was off the first step up and I think the riders name is Justin Steidler from ME. If anyone has any info, I would appreciate an update.

Thanks!
|
Jack mehoff
6/30/2013 8:04pm
Was the track prepped ? Or did they leave it the same from the national ? Or the usual hard packed blue groove non prep?
bogdan912
7/1/2013 6:56am
I was also wondering the status of those guys. The dude in 2strokeB/C in particular, that was one of the worst crashes I have ever seen...
jleews6
7/1/2013 7:33am
I know one of them riding a Honda in B class had broken ribs and collapsed lung but I think he is OK now. I wasnt there but my son got a phone call telling him that.
suzook241
7/1/2013 7:39am
bogdan912 wrote:
I was also wondering the status of those guys. The dude in 2strokeB/C in particular, that was one of the worst crashes I have ever seen...
I agree with you, I was in that class and was right beside him when everything happened, the bike almost hit me. I didn't see the end result, only heard about what happened but I saw everything up until I dodged the bike flying in the air. It was one of the worst ones I have ever seen... I was still thinking about it after the moto, scary stuff

The Shop

j100
7/1/2013 7:41am
Was the track prepped ? Or did they leave it the same from the national ? Or the usual hard packed blue groove non prep?
i was told they groomed it after the national, but let it go all weekend. heard it was really rough, to say the least.
CHaynes
7/1/2013 2:15pm
The crash in 2 stroke happened a little bit in front of me as we were heading over the step up. The guy just laid there looking like he was having convulsions. It was so nasty that I definitely second guessed my decision to even race MX anymore. Every lap I came by and saw the medics running around just freaked me out more and more. I think track prep could've been a lot better than it was over the weekend. Its a shame to have to fly 3 people out from a LL regional.
Team Ideal
7/1/2013 2:36pm
jleews6 wrote:
I know one of them riding a Honda in B class had broken ribs and collapsed lung but I think he is OK now. I wasnt...
I know one of them riding a Honda in B class had broken ribs and collapsed lung but I think he is OK now. I wasnt there but my son got a phone call telling him that.
I'm not positive but this one my have happen right beside my son, he said some kid on a Honda hit a kicker and the kid and the bike went flying over his head as he avoided it.

I think the only thing they did for Friday practice was take the ruts out of the corners. still braking and acceleration bumps everywhere and the jump faces were totally sketchy but I think they were dealing with rain issues. track prep Sat mourning was good IMO but the lack of taking a few 10 min breaks and watering a few sections really hurt. the complete over watering of Sat nite/Sun mourning was terrible.

I hope everyone has a complete recovery.
ovittmx
7/1/2013 3:58pm
I was there. The track Friday for practice was left a little on the rough side but not terrible..It was realistic for what was to come on race day. It rained pretty decent Friday night but I think it was good for the track. It got gnarly by the end of the day but it always does get that way. I saw one of the crashes over that jump in the 450 b class my son was racing right behind them. That jump face was wasted. I was watching motos before and was a little freaked out to see experts getting kicked around too off the face. It was definatly high risk to jump side by side or three wide. I believe it was the first lap and I understand the mentality at a LL regional its jump it or take the chance of getting jumped on.. It sucked to see it coming...To make matters even worse the following two laps these guys were so into the racing that they didn't see the red cross and yellow flags waving and jumped it anyway...that freaked me out even more because my son was in that race and rolling the jump. I started remembering numbers that were jumping on the red cross.. Do you think there was a penalty for that? Hell no.. There was no referee in sight.. I ran over to a track crew guy and told him to relay some numbers to the tower (I was told the ref was in the tower) and he said that's not my job...A few races later guys got smarter on the first lap and started cutting that jump section completely...yes gaining positions...I watched it...checked the results...no penalties given...later in my sons next race these guys were getting smarter and I watched a guy #808 cut the bottom of the big downhill and gain 2 positions..I asked another track guy wheres the referee? once again hes in the tower. This is the road to the biggest race in amateurs and really I thought it was a great event..But there was no penalty for cheating..I saw more track cutting in two motos than Id seen in 5 years.
bobby397
7/1/2013 4:10pm
ovittmx wrote:
I was there. The track Friday for practice was left a little on the rough side but not terrible..It was realistic for what was to come...
I was there. The track Friday for practice was left a little on the rough side but not terrible..It was realistic for what was to come on race day. It rained pretty decent Friday night but I think it was good for the track. It got gnarly by the end of the day but it always does get that way. I saw one of the crashes over that jump in the 450 b class my son was racing right behind them. That jump face was wasted. I was watching motos before and was a little freaked out to see experts getting kicked around too off the face. It was definatly high risk to jump side by side or three wide. I believe it was the first lap and I understand the mentality at a LL regional its jump it or take the chance of getting jumped on.. It sucked to see it coming...To make matters even worse the following two laps these guys were so into the racing that they didn't see the red cross and yellow flags waving and jumped it anyway...that freaked me out even more because my son was in that race and rolling the jump. I started remembering numbers that were jumping on the red cross.. Do you think there was a penalty for that? Hell no.. There was no referee in sight.. I ran over to a track crew guy and told him to relay some numbers to the tower (I was told the ref was in the tower) and he said that's not my job...A few races later guys got smarter on the first lap and started cutting that jump section completely...yes gaining positions...I watched it...checked the results...no penalties given...later in my sons next race these guys were getting smarter and I watched a guy #808 cut the bottom of the big downhill and gain 2 positions..I asked another track guy wheres the referee? once again hes in the tower. This is the road to the biggest race in amateurs and really I thought it was a great event..But there was no penalty for cheating..I saw more track cutting in two motos than Id seen in 5 years.
I'd cut it also
Jakes Dad
7/1/2013 4:49pm
ovittmx wrote:
I was there. The track Friday for practice was left a little on the rough side but not terrible..It was realistic for what was to come...
Just why we don't travel and waste our money, plus what is the return for all the headaches?
7/1/2013 5:51pm
from facebook:

Friends, Please say a prayer for my buddy Justin Steidler... He was at his MotoX Qualifier at Budds Creek in Maryland and he crashed really bad
He's in a hospital in Maryland... Pretty banged up. It appears that he has broken his femur and has a NASTY concussion... He's supposed to have surgery tomorrow on his leg.

No idea as to the accuracy, just something I saw
Grizz
7/1/2013 8:19pm
I did the medics a favor and wadded myself the Saturday before while practicing for the show before the show...
Jack mehoff
7/1/2013 9:37pm
This is going to be the next track that we lose a national at , I hope real soon he figures out how to slow that beltway with poor maintenance and over sized jumps for the average b/c racer , in all the years I have been going there I can never figure out if its the take the money and run mentality or laziness ? But I can not think off another track district 6 or 7 where the chopper Lands all day , every race . Its only a matter off time before some one dies and the state steps in and shuts the place down .I wish all the injured riders a speedy recovery .
smeg
7/2/2013 3:00am
Someone has already died there. Was back in 91-92 I think. It was my first race back after a long layoff and I remember being shocked at the riders meeting when they had a moment of silence for the guy.

It has always been a fast track.
JBlain619
7/2/2013 5:43am
This is going to be the next track that we lose a national at , I hope real soon he figures out how to slow that...
This is going to be the next track that we lose a national at , I hope real soon he figures out how to slow that beltway with poor maintenance and over sized jumps for the average b/c racer , in all the years I have been going there I can never figure out if its the take the money and run mentality or laziness ? But I can not think off another track district 6 or 7 where the chopper Lands all day , every race . Its only a matter off time before some one dies and the state steps in and shuts the place down .I wish all the injured riders a speedy recovery .
Spot on!!! We were discussing it all wknd. The step up off the start is just plain stupid. It needs to go back to being an ant hill like before it make it a table top. Then the double after the rollers before the National finish line needs to be built up or taken out. The jump after big gulp has sent it's fair share of riders to the hospital as well. It needs a complete makeover. The dirt is completely worn out.
Iwannaride
7/2/2013 6:10am
Sorry to hear and hope that the riders make a safe and speedy recovery. I watched one helicopter heading towards Budds as I was heading to the farm to practice. When my friend arrived we watched another helicopter en route, looked at eachother and commented "Budds". Unfortunately we participate in an extremely dangerous sport and Budds is a Pro National track. Track prep / maintanence is crucial, but riders will continue to push the limits at any track and serious accidents will happen.
JOHN CHOATE
7/2/2013 6:16am
The first rider that was air lifted out(Sat) was ok. I talked with him on Sunday and he indicated that it was a precautionary measure because he took a handlebar to the chest after landing wrong on the first tabletop after the start.

Even though there were some stars of tomorrow there, I thought the big step up after the first turn was a little extreme for an amateur race. The crash on that same jump where the riders bike was catapulted 10-15ft in the air was scary for sure.
Jack mehoff
7/2/2013 7:25am
I can tell you as a fact the state the state department off health meets with shock trauma quarterly and reviews the flights in , when they start bitching about budds it's going to get ugly . Greenbrier orv is shut down for this very reason . That is why earlier in this post I asked about prep, if the track is well prepped then its just racing incidents , I agree $hit happens , but when it's simple track matince , ( stopping the Motos to fix some off the jumps lips or if you don't want to maintain your track knock them down to the point where your not getting sky high and dropping 20 feet out off the sky ) mx sports should really look into giving ithe race to track owners that really put a lot off work into there track yentzer at doublin or chadd at tomahawk come to mind hopefully johnathin gets his act together before its to late
Iwannaride
7/2/2013 9:29am
Hi Jack,
This post is starting to go off topic; It was started out of concern for 3 riders that went down over the weekend. Let's hope that all riders, including those that were injured make it home soon and safely. I'd like to respond to your comments on prep; I'm aware of the meetings because I've spent the past 20 years in the OR supplying the implants to restore the broken bones. When the 2 groups meet the question is not concerning track maintenance, but how big/difficult the jumps/obstacles are. Ex. They are not concerned with or questioning the ruts on the face of a jump, but they are concerned with how big/difficult a jump is and the toll it will take when a rider goes down. If you've ever asked yourself why some tracks consist primarily of small tabletops it is because state and insurance regulations demand such. Unfortunately, I watched a rider die at Easton and it had nothing to do with maintenance; the rider jumped one tabletop and sadly plowed into the face of the second table. I've broken my hand at tomahawk and my leg at BDMX when I was T-boned in a turn, again nothing to do with maintenance, but the danger of our sport. My point is that the departments are not discussing maintenance, but they are discussing the degree of difficulty. One of 2 things may occur in the future, if the state jumps in; Budds is a Pro track and the jumps will be tamed for us amateurs or amateurs will be locked out of riding at Budds altogether.

I took a neighbor riding, for the first time, Sunday and I promised him 2 things. You will fall and you will stall the bike; both occured repeatedly. He went down in the sand 5 times and stalled so much that I put him on my new KTM. We play in a very dangerous sport!

Again, thoughts and prayers to the injured riders!
Grizz
7/2/2013 9:49am
Budds Creek is a landmark now. As in officially. So I don't think it will be going anywhere. I love that track though. It is definitely best for experts. Ride at your own risk.
JBlain619
7/2/2013 9:49am
Iwannaride wrote:
Sorry to hear and hope that the riders make a safe and speedy recovery. I watched one helicopter heading towards Budds as I was heading to...
Sorry to hear and hope that the riders make a safe and speedy recovery. I watched one helicopter heading towards Budds as I was heading to the farm to practice. When my friend arrived we watched another helicopter en route, looked at eachother and commented "Budds". Unfortunately we participate in an extremely dangerous sport and Budds is a Pro National track. Track prep / maintanence is crucial, but riders will continue to push the limits at any track and serious accidents will happen.
Pro national track...and your point??? Budds holds way more amateur events than it does pro events, just like every other track on the pro tour. I have been racing for 30+ yrs and its the first time that I can remember the Life flight chopper coming in for 3 different occasions at an event that I was at. The track was shit this wknd, plain and simple. The step up off the start is just a stupid, not safe jump period! It has a tunnel under it so the riders can get to the staging/starting line, I understand that. But why not go back to making it an ant hill like it used to be or a table top? Wouldn't be that difficult. I understand you are going to have people pushing the limits, its progression. Its time that they look into making it a little safer for the average rider, because more of them race there. This is coming from someone who actually clears this jump and I think its too sketchy for the average rider.
JBlain619
7/2/2013 9:53am
I agree this has gotten off topic and I will step down off my soap box. Any info on Justin Steidler???
Jack mehoff
7/2/2013 9:55am
Totally agree I am glad to hear one off them is all right
mxnick
7/2/2013 10:20am
I dont have any updates on the riders or even know who they are, but I do know from years of racing and visiting at Budds that they often life flight riders out because there is no hospital that is close to the track.

So I guess it can be more of a precautionary thing, because I think the closest hospital is like ~30 minutes or more away, which includes all that traffic in the Waldorf area.
Team Ideal
7/2/2013 10:31am Edited Date/Time 7/2/2013 10:37am
here's one of the guys, no idea which one or on what happen but pretty sure he was in the B class.

@bq365 can you help get #PrayersForJoshBoyd trending he was in a bad crash at Budds Creeks Regional and needs as many prayers as possible

EDIT
found this on his facebook page. says farther on down that at some point he had no feeling below his shoulder blades. Prayers to him and family.

Update ~ Josh Boyd
Tuesday, 7-2-13
2:00 pm
On a positive note... Josh had another night of healing. It was a difficult night for him but he is in excellent hands and docs are doing all that they can for him. They will continue doing many things for him throughout the day. Just know that he continues to be in a very critical state and your prayers are needed desperately. I will be making updates as I get info. from Grace/hospital.

Docs comment = Josh is running a marathon NOT sprinting ~ so hourly updates are difficult/impossible.

Continued positive thoughts and your prayers are all that is needed at this time.
bogdan912
7/2/2013 11:58am
I found this page for Josh Boyd - https://www.facebook.com/71Foundation

From that page -

"Alright thanks once again for all the likes and especially the T shirt orders. A few people have been asking now how this all happened. Josh, his dad, and myself went down to Budds Creek for the Lorretta Lynn Regional that he had qualified for. This is the last step in seeing if you get to race at Lorretta's which josh wanted to do so badly and was at the top of his game this year. It was the last moto before the end of the day when it happened. He went of a jump and the bike bucked him. I looked over and saw josh basically doing a handstand on the bike and it was heading for the ground, I took off and ran over to him, and that's when he said he couldn't feel his legs. That's when they life flighted him here to the University of Maryland hospital. Later on when me and Josh's dad starting looking at his gear, we found were he had landed right on his head, and where his Leatt neck brace had failed to do the jobs it's supposed to do which is protect the neck. Now he is on the road to recovery and is doing good and going day by day"
kDAY
7/2/2013 2:45pm
I was racing at budds last weekend also and I will totally say that the track was the roughest Ive ever seen it and I raced the national the weekend before. The step up next to the start took some skill to get over and the double into the pit was even worse. Im all for technical but when guys were almost dying every lap you would think the track workers would see the sign?? It would be nice if the Pro guys could have some say so on how the track prep is
mx-4-2
7/2/2013 3:27pm
Having raced Budds several times as well as renting the track out, its normally not that bad. I understand from my local friends who ride the track frequently as well, and raced this weekend that it was in the worse condition they had ever seen it. I also understand that MX Sports fully ran the event and Jonathan was not on site or involved at MX Sports direction.

Its really unfortunate that the track was so mismanaged for this event. One of our local riders ended up with a punctured lung. He will make a full recovery but with the nature of a full gate and the pressure that the regionals have to perform, the track should have been prepped much better.

We raced the Gatorback regional two weekends ago and while there was room for improvement, they did do a nice job in prepping the track as well as grooming through the day. I don't believe we had any significant injuries that entire weekend.
Team Ideal
7/2/2013 4:23pm
"I also understand that MX Sports fully ran the event and Jonathan was not on site or involved at MX Sports direction."

this explains a lot, we had never been there before but I knew I had seen a few of the workers faces before and when I had a couple of questions about where things were I never got a solid answer, just a over in that direction type of answer. while the step up after the start was a bit sketchy the rollers/double right after it left a lot to be desired. I saw only two guys doing it with any consistency and it total just beat the crap out of everyone else. a lot of jump faces really needed more attention also. they have to understand at some point these guys are all pushing the limits at these events and not making things safer is going to end bad. I really like to see a few things to separate people and roughness is one of them but sketchy jumps are not.

again really hope and pray everyone heals completely and quickly.
Jack mehoff
7/2/2013 5:12pm
mx-4-2 wrote:
Having raced Budds several times as well as renting the track out, its normally not that bad. I understand from my local friends who ride the...
Having raced Budds several times as well as renting the track out, its normally not that bad. I understand from my local friends who ride the track frequently as well, and raced this weekend that it was in the worse condition they had ever seen it. I also understand that MX Sports fully ran the event and Jonathan was not on site or involved at MX Sports direction.

Its really unfortunate that the track was so mismanaged for this event. One of our local riders ended up with a punctured lung. He will make a full recovery but with the nature of a full gate and the pressure that the regionals have to perform, the track should have been prepped much better.

We raced the Gatorback regional two weekends ago and while there was room for improvement, they did do a nice job in prepping the track as well as grooming through the day. I don't believe we had any significant injuries that entire weekend.
I owe mr Beasley a apology then , I hope the other kid makes a full recovery . Wow did that sound nasty with the leat brace on , it had me thinking about that racer all afternoon . I am sure he is good hands with md schock trama or Hopkins , and as much as I hate paying taxes , the Maryland choppers are always there when you need them

Post a reply to: Budds Creek Regional

The Latest