Budds Creek Crowd/Traffic/Exit Time

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 11:57am
I need help from someone who's been to the Budds Creek national, preferably more than once. (I'm from Virginia, not far away, but I've never been there.) A Maryland local might be the best person to answer.

Here's my question, and it's specific: At the end of race day, how long does it realistically take to get out of the place? I can see from Google Maps that the circuit is only 6.8 miles east of Route 301, so I know it'd be a matter of minutes on a random day of the week. But I want to factor in real crowds and real traffic on race day, so that means:

• Time to walk back to the car
• Time to get out of the lot with exiting traffic
• Time to drive out to Route 301 with exiting traffic

Back story: I might go to the national in August, but I'll need to get to Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia later that evening. Busy day. Thanks for your help.

|
Sierra Ranger
3/13/2019 9:46am
Go in the back way if possible, from the West. 234 is not the way to go. It's probably not as bad as the time I missed the first moto years ago sitting out there, but you want to come in the back way, park across the road in the field.
Take 5 to 236 if coming from the north and it dumps you right at the track. Park in the field on the left when you see it. It's a hike- take a wagon or something for stuff.
The heat is insane at Budds usually, too. I have seen plenty of severe sunburn at the end of the day.
3/13/2019 10:02am
Go in the back way if possible, from the West. 234 is not the way to go. It's probably not as bad as the time I...
Go in the back way if possible, from the West. 234 is not the way to go. It's probably not as bad as the time I missed the first moto years ago sitting out there, but you want to come in the back way, park across the road in the field.
Take 5 to 236 if coming from the north and it dumps you right at the track. Park in the field on the left when you see it. It's a hike- take a wagon or something for stuff.
The heat is insane at Budds usually, too. I have seen plenty of severe sunburn at the end of the day.
Thanks. Just to be clear, if I go, I'm going really early for practice and qualifying, so I'm not so worried about the ingress. It's the egress I'm worried about -- estimated time to get OUT. (And I am open to any suggested route for heading north and west.)

cousinskeet
3/13/2019 10:11am Edited Date/Time 3/13/2019 10:12am
Go in the back way if possible, from the West. 234 is not the way to go. It's probably not as bad as the time I...
+1 and park in the fields behind the general store. Don't park really close to the track. You will walk a little but save time driving out. And yes it's like the devils kitchen in August. It sits in a bowl and the air does not circulate so drink a lot.
Naanak
3/13/2019 10:38am
Last four years we park in the field off the drag strip entrance which I believe is overflow from the main parking by the pits. The walk is about 10 minutes. We leave on the road by the general store and traffic is never bad because that’s a back way.

The Shop

3/13/2019 11:25am
Now we're getting somewhere. By "general store," we have to mean Stones Store at the corner of Routes 234 and 236, ergo, the recommended way out if you're headed north (via Waldorf) would be the option shown in blue, yes?

greenmx5
3/13/2019 11:35am
It doesn't help that the people directing traffic the last few years at least at the entrance by the pro pit area have no idea what the hell they're doing.
DMJ232
Fantasy
1548th
3/13/2019 11:47am
Naanak wrote:
Last four years we park in the field off the drag strip entrance which I believe is overflow from the main parking by the pits. The...
Last four years we park in the field off the drag strip entrance which I believe is overflow from the main parking by the pits. The walk is about 10 minutes. We leave on the road by the general store and traffic is never bad because that’s a back way.
Same with us, 10 min walk to the car and Traffic isn't bad heading out. Traffic is normally lined up coming in early in the morning on Saturday (At least from my experience).
scottt89
3/13/2019 12:26pm
I agree with the others. I come in from the Baltimore area. Usually we come down 95 to 301 then 5 then 236 and park in the field behind the store as others have said. Going to Columbia you would be taking the same route home as I do. I would retrace my steps back to 95 then get off on 32 to 29 and into Columbia.

The only thing I will say is that usually getting back onto 301 can be a pain. Leave a few minutes budgeted in for that. The intersection at 236 and 5 can back up. Also, the congestion where 5 and 301 meet can be a pain for a few miles in my experience. After that thins out, it's usually smooth sailing. Typically we start making our way out with a few minutes left in the final moto unless there is a serious lead battle happening. But either way, I don't think you will have a problem getting out of the field onto 236 and out.
CHaynes
3/13/2019 2:32pm
The people that own the property across the street from the track let you park there, its like $20. When you leave, take Trinity Church to Olivers Shop. At end of Olivers Shop turn left onto Route 5. Pretty easy and goes quick.
Justin345
3/13/2019 4:56pm
Camp overnight and race amateur day the next day!
yzcrkxrm
3/13/2019 5:52pm
CHaynes wrote:
The people that own the property across the street from the track let you park there, its like $20. When you leave, take Trinity Church to...
The people that own the property across the street from the track let you park there, its like $20. When you leave, take Trinity Church to Olivers Shop. At end of Olivers Shop turn left onto Route 5. Pretty easy and goes quick.
Be careful. One year they had these guys collecting 5 bucks to park in that store just down the road. I told them to f-off because I paid for camper parking and wasn't paying again. Turns out they weren't from the track and we're just scamming people. I found Johnathan and he was like wtf, we aren't charging people to park there. Ha!
3/13/2019 6:52pm Edited Date/Time 3/14/2019 11:57am
scottt89 wrote:
I agree with the others. I come in from the Baltimore area. Usually we come down 95 to 301 then 5 then 236 and park in...
I agree with the others. I come in from the Baltimore area. Usually we come down 95 to 301 then 5 then 236 and park in the field behind the store as others have said. Going to Columbia you would be taking the same route home as I do. I would retrace my steps back to 95 then get off on 32 to 29 and into Columbia.

The only thing I will say is that usually getting back onto 301 can be a pain. Leave a few minutes budgeted in for that. The intersection at 236 and 5 can back up. Also, the congestion where 5 and 301 meet can be a pain for a few miles in my experience. After that thins out, it's usually smooth sailing. Typically we start making our way out with a few minutes left in the final moto unless there is a serious lead battle happening. But either way, I don't think you will have a problem getting out of the field onto 236 and out.
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of detailed info I was looking for, the kinda stuff that locals know. Am I correct in assuming that the "field behind the store" is the area selected in red below? And what's it usually cost?

The show I'm going to starts at 7:00, but there's an opening band, so I think I have until 8:00. Under normal conditions, the drive is less than 90 minutes (according to Google Maps), and figure if I allow for an hour of delays, I still can have butts in seats by 7:30.

Thanks again.
scottt89
3/13/2019 8:38pm
Yep, that is the area. I'd say we are normally home by 6:30 if not earlier and I'm about 40min north of Columbia.
Sierra Ranger
3/14/2019 12:17am
scottt89 wrote:
I agree with the others. I come in from the Baltimore area. Usually we come down 95 to 301 then 5 then 236 and park in...

Thanks. This is exactly the kind of detailed info I was looking for, the kinda stuff that locals know. Am I correct in assuming that the...
Thanks. This is exactly the kind of detailed info I was looking for, the kinda stuff that locals know. Am I correct in assuming that the "field behind the store" is the area selected in red below? And what's it usually cost?

The show I'm going to starts at 7:00, but there's an opening band, so I think I have until 8:00. Under normal conditions, the drive is less than 90 minutes (according to Google Maps), and figure if I allow for an hour of delays, I still can have butts in seats by 7:30.

Thanks again.
That's the field. I don't remember paying anything. You will likely see an Amish carriage or two on the road- so watch for them. And wave to them on the porches if you see them.
The best viewing at Budds is down in the center by the lake, if you want to see the most action. You can walk back and forth and see 80% of the track. There are plenty of good spots.
Sounds like you will sleep well that night, All day at the track and then a show. Woohoo
Kid Spam
3/14/2019 5:22am
Pony up and chopper in. Park at 301 and ride in, preferably on a metal flake raked out love machine.
jtmaster
3/14/2019 5:35am
The field behind the store is the way to go I’ve been parking there for years. Easy in and easy out on Thompson corner road. Last year there were some jack wagons that parked 3 deep and had the middle person parked in though. I’m not sure what goes through the minds of idiots like that.

Post a reply to: Budds Creek Crowd/Traffic/Exit Time

The Latest