Bubba Scrub or ??????

RandyS
Edited Date/Time 1/25/2019 8:33pm
1982 Huh, yeah it's possible he's falling but he sure looks like he meant to do that. I've seen pictures claiming JoJo Keller did it first although different. Where does this fit in?

|
h_reed
1/20/2019 8:49pm
All you poor people who never had the pleasure of watching Magoo ride in person, or better yet have him fly over your head totally pancaked have never got to enjoy pure motocross. God only made one of that man!
RandyS
1/20/2019 9:05pm
I got this photo from a Facebook group from my local riding area which is where it was shot(Mammoth Bar). But it originated from a Magoo page a week ago and the poster claims it's never been seen prior to that post. And guess who's on there arguing with everyone that it's not the same thing as Stewart, here's a hint his name on this board before he was booted multiple times starts with a B and ends with a Lenny. The more things change....
jeffro503
1/20/2019 9:06pm
Well to be completely accurate , the scrub itself was started off in BMX. A lot of guys through out the years were some what doing it , but I think James sorta brought it to an extreme that nobody had seen before.

What shocks me ( think about this for a second ) is that I've seen other old photo's of guy's scrubbing the hell out of their bikes , but some how during the 80's , 90's and 2000's ( even MC )....nobody was taking advantage of it.

It's almost like they either forgot about it , or didn't think it was worth the risk? James definitely did NOT invent the scrub , as it was around decades before he was even born , in MX and BMX , but he definitely made it extreme and made it so guy's ride their bikes differently today. My opinion anyways.
T-Fish
Fantasy
335th
1/20/2019 9:58pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well to be completely accurate , the scrub itself was started off in BMX. A lot of guys through out the years were some what doing...
Well to be completely accurate , the scrub itself was started off in BMX. A lot of guys through out the years were some what doing it , but I think James sorta brought it to an extreme that nobody had seen before.

What shocks me ( think about this for a second ) is that I've seen other old photo's of guy's scrubbing the hell out of their bikes , but some how during the 80's , 90's and 2000's ( even MC )....nobody was taking advantage of it.

It's almost like they either forgot about it , or didn't think it was worth the risk? James definitely did NOT invent the scrub , as it was around decades before he was even born , in MX and BMX , but he definitely made it extreme and made it so guy's ride their bikes differently today. My opinion anyways.
I think the Bubba scrub is different than the scrubs prior to his.

The Shop

jeffro503
1/20/2019 10:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Well to be completely accurate , the scrub itself was started off in BMX. A lot of guys through out the years were some what doing...

T-Fish wrote:
I think the Bubba scrub is different than the scrubs prior to his.
How so? I've asked this before and nobody has given me a logical answer. If it was being done to keep the bike low ( like BMX ) then I'm not sure why James's scrubs would be any different. I get why a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it......but it was being done 20 - 30 years before James's was even born. Not to the extremes James brought to it mind you , but honestly , he seems to be a middle man since guys now days have made it even more extreme ( and dangerous ).
1/20/2019 11:34pm
Another reason I also think JS did it in a time when camera phones, youtube etc hence he was the first guy to have the whole world see it constantly.
1/21/2019 12:43am
Would say he changed the technique from being on top of the bike to almost/sometimes under the bike in mid air, makes a big difference to the difficult and effectiveness of the scrub.
AUS_Twisted
1/21/2019 2:51am
jeffro503 wrote:

I think the tracks have a lot to do with it also especially when a track is heavily rutted it's not exactly ideal to scrub a triple and come off the track like James did several times in his career. I remember Supercross tracks being more technical and choppy then the current tracks that get well maintained between races.
pete24
1/21/2019 5:49am
the one and only Paul Buckley told me tripes was doing it at southwick in 76
Tarz483
Fantasy
665th
1/21/2019 6:11am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2019 6:13am
RandyS wrote:
1982 Huh, yeah it's possible he's falling but he sure looks like he meant to do that. I've seen pictures claiming JoJo Keller did it first...
1982 Huh, yeah it's possible he's falling but he sure looks like he meant to do that. I've seen pictures claiming JoJo Keller did it first although different. Where does this fit in?

You can see that the jump in the picture has a turn to the right , so its natural to scrub while trying to make the turn,
After Bubba came around people started doing it or trying to do it on every jump, so something changed, if he didnt invent it he at the least perfected it.
slipdog
1/21/2019 6:14am
RandyS wrote:
I got this photo from a Facebook group from my local riding area which is where it was shot(Mammoth Bar). But it originated from a Magoo...
I got this photo from a Facebook group from my local riding area which is where it was shot(Mammoth Bar). But it originated from a Magoo page a week ago and the poster claims it's never been seen prior to that post. And guess who's on there arguing with everyone that it's not the same thing as Stewart, here's a hint his name on this board before he was booted multiple times starts with a B and ends with a Lenny. The more things change....
Blenny?
ruy
1/21/2019 6:31am
[/embed]
Surely there were riders who did scrubs before Glover, since the Motocross starts, there were sure to be riders who did these techniques at some point to be faster.
Now it is popular and also many young ¨riders¨ now think that the old riders were like cavemen, very basic, lacking in technique.
tingo
1/21/2019 6:37am
jeffro503 wrote:
How so? I've asked this before and nobody has given me a logical answer. If it was being done to keep the bike low ( like...
How so? I've asked this before and nobody has given me a logical answer. If it was being done to keep the bike low ( like BMX ) then I'm not sure why James's scrubs would be any different. I get why a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it......but it was being done 20 - 30 years before James's was even born. Not to the extremes James brought to it mind you , but honestly , he seems to be a middle man since guys now days have made it even more extreme ( and dangerous ).
Why would a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it? Unless I'm missing something, the term "Bubba scrub" is attributed to a person, not a nationality.
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
1/21/2019 9:48am
Back in the '80s we called it "prejumping." You would find any possible bump, rock or steeper part of the jump that started lower on the face and leave the ground there, instead of going all the way to the top before you left the ground. The fastest, smartest guys, (Glover, like above, for instance,) would throw in a little whip action to keep it even lower.
Nobody made that technique synonymous with his own name until James, however. 259 did it best.
BR8ES
1/21/2019 10:00am
Please... let's not discredit James Stewart and what he has done for the sport regarding riding techniques and such. Magoo and JoJo are certifiable legends and folk heroes however...
dsmith
Fantasy
1470th
1/21/2019 10:05am
canard was real good at scrubbin
loftyair
1/21/2019 10:07am
The 'scrub' is a technique that is advanced, but not necessarily needed. Pourcel wasnt much of a 'scrubber', but still went faster than most.
Wintyfresh
1/21/2019 10:12am
tingo wrote:
Why would a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it? Unless I'm missing something, the term "Bubba scrub" is attributed to a person...
Why would a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it? Unless I'm missing something, the term "Bubba scrub" is attributed to a person, not a nationality.
James Stewart Jr. was born in Bartow, Florida... so I guess he's talking about Americans?
kNewc
1/21/2019 10:32am
Oh, so you started it? Well that settles it.

Much ty.
Ruy invented it and DDavis perfected it.
Motox627!
1/21/2019 11:11am
RandyS wrote:
I got this photo from a Facebook group from my local riding area which is where it was shot(Mammoth Bar). But it originated from a Magoo...
slipdog wrote:
Blenny?
#nailedit
ruy
1/21/2019 12:47pm
loftyair wrote:
The 'scrub' is a technique that is advanced, but not necessarily needed. Pourcel wasnt much of a 'scrubber', but still went faster than most.
Also Stefan Everts never do any scrub
ruy
1/21/2019 12:53pm
Pastrana no scrubing good
ruy
1/21/2019 1:11pm
Falcon wrote:
Back in the '80s we called it "prejumping." You would find any possible bump, rock or steeper part of the jump that started lower on the...
Back in the '80s we called it "prejumping." You would find any possible bump, rock or steeper part of the jump that started lower on the face and leave the ground there, instead of going all the way to the top before you left the ground. The fastest, smartest guys, (Glover, like above, for instance,) would throw in a little whip action to keep it even lower.
Nobody made that technique synonymous with his own name until James, however. 259 did it best.
Yes, I say it before, surely some old riders do it before.
And in the 80 they have a name; Prejump
And sure, before this technique has a name "prejump", other riders do it
No name, just the instinct to go fast and stay low, put the wheel on the ground and open the gas

ruy
1/21/2019 1:27pm
loftyair wrote:
He is a Superman

zippytech
1/21/2019 1:31pm
I remember back in the late 80's and early 90's that most of the jumps was difficult enough to just make the jump, hell not all the bike could do some of the jumps. now with all the power they have, they have to slow down so they don't jump out of the stadium.
jeffro503
1/21/2019 4:18pm
tingo wrote:
Why would a certain nationality want to stamp their name on inventing it? Unless I'm missing something, the term "Bubba scrub" is attributed to a person...
Wintyfresh wrote:
James Stewart Jr. was born in Bartow, Florida... so I guess he's talking about Americans?
It was a poor use of words on my part. What I should of said was " Group "......the same group that thought James's walked on water type group. The same group that thinks he invented the scrub. I don't know wtf I put nationality down , as that sounds terrible.
aeffertz
1/21/2019 5:40pm
I think it just comes to the frequency and the speed James was doing it at that really brought it to the limelight. I’m not saying he invented it but I think he was probably the first dude doing it almost every lap on certain tracks.

I remember first watching him scrub a SX triple, that was crazy. Shit, I remember him scrubbing so hard he flew off the side of the track Grinning

Post a reply to: Bubba Scrub or ??????

The Latest