Broken tib fib recovery

Edited Date/Time 5/11/2018 3:58am
Broke my tib fib around the ankle 2 weeks ago.. surgery last Tuesday to put some hardware in.. anyone who’s dealt with this injury how long before you were walking/back on the bike?
|
5/9/2018 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 5:52pm
I did my tib/fib with no hardware, but many more breaks and was able to start walking after a few months. Broke my fib and had it plated and was off of work for about 3 months. Was able to start putting weight on it fairly quickly in a rocking boot. Both times were leading into winter so I didn't ride until the following spring. The bones should be all healed before you'll want to get on a bike. Will probably be more about strengthening the ankle and regaining motion without pain.
sdjeff
5/9/2018 6:55pm
I'm a little over 6 months out. I started walking around 3 months and have had what seems like a slow recovery. I still haven't gotten back on a dirt bike but do ride my mountain bike but with some considerable pain on drops or big bumps. I can walk without a limp most of the time but any surfaces left/right are tough. Get into PT as fast as you can to keep range of motion in your ankle. I started about 2.5 weeks after surgery with already 90% of my movement restricted but got back to 10% restricted after a few weeks and now have full range. PT sucks when you get to weight bearing but it's only the way to fully recover. My doctor says it will be about a year before I stop having pain when I walk and I'm hoping to get the metal out around then. Be careful with the pain pills too.. 2 weeks on oxy and I quit cold turkey and had some pretty bad withdrawals that really f***ed with my brain.

devindavisphoto
Fantasy
3875th
5/9/2018 7:01pm Edited Date/Time 5/9/2018 7:01pm
I broke both of my ankles when I was 14. It could have just been due to my age, but I was back walking after 2 months, and riding after 3 or 4 months, but I wasn't the smartest at that age. I'd give yourself around 4 months at the very minimum before you even think about riding again, but to be honest it all depends on how your ankle/leg feel. Don't put yourself on a 4 month timeline if 4 months comes around and they still feel weak.

hippie
5/9/2018 7:30pm
Compound fractured my tib/fib, had rods put in. That was a rough one with all the muscle/nerve damage. Sounds like you're much better off though than I was. My recovery was around 3 months, went through about three casts, maybe 4-5 months no riding if I can remember correctly. Heal up quick!

The Shop

racerx217
5/9/2018 7:32pm
I broke the other end, tibia plateau fracture and fib, took 5 operations and 2 years to get back on a bike, still dont walk right. Permanent pimp limp.
5/10/2018 8:47am
Only thing that’s giving me hope is the papers I had to give to work from my doctor saying I’ll be back to work 8/1/18. Just wanna walk again although it’s gunna be tough staying off the bike, I just can’t sit on the couch like this
5/10/2018 9:27am
racerx217 wrote:
I broke the other end, tibia plateau fracture and fib, took 5 operations and 2 years to get back on a bike, still dont walk right...
I broke the other end, tibia plateau fracture and fib, took 5 operations and 2 years to get back on a bike, still dont walk right. Permanent pimp limp.
Im here with you man.
Pimp limp and Forrest Gump running with pain..

As stated, stay away from the oxys. I ate like 50mg/day in the beginning and used it for a few months. Needless to say I had a few tough weeks stepping down from the clouds..
bodean123
Fantasy
2112th
5/10/2018 9:57am
Wife went through a plateau break of her tib-fib from a moto crash...was 2 months with no weight. Probably 6 months were it felt somewhat normal, but still gives her issues to this day.
reded
5/10/2018 10:07am
I had nearly the exact same breaks only on right side (good part is, you'll be able to drive with the right) nearly 6 weeks ago. Doc released me to bear weight on May 2. I'm just now able to bear maybe 50% but I have pretty good range of motion and do lots of PT on my own. I'm thinking I MIGHT be walking with a cane in another week or so.
Get yourself a knee scooter and ditch those fucking crutches. It's made my life way better by being able to go places on my own haul stuff around. Try to keep your spirits up cause the boredom and lengthy drag on life will get you down. I try to do as much as possible on my own, almost to a fault but at least I'm busy and not laying on the couch.
sdjeff
5/10/2018 10:12am Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 10:13am
^^ Ditch the Knee Scooter and get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/iWALK2-0-Hands-Free-Knee-Crutch/dp/B00092RB06

It looks ridiculous but it changed everything for me. It lets you keep use of your hands which was important for me because I live alone. I was even able to start mowing my lawn again 1 month after the break. Insurance doesn't cover them but for $150 it's worth it. It's a great convo starter too when you're out and about.
TJMX947
5/10/2018 10:15am
racerx217 wrote:
I broke the other end, tibia plateau fracture and fib, took 5 operations and 2 years to get back on a bike, still dont walk right...
Same injury for me, it only took me one operation. I couldn't walk for about 3.5 months. I waited too long to do PT, lost a ton of ROM in my knee. How did you do yours? I hit a frickin water truck that was on the track, while trying to miss it my handlebar caught the side fender and pulled me back into it. My right leg was basically crushed between the bike and the truck. Bounced like a ragdoll off it.

To the OP do your best to get to the PT ASAP, You don't want to be sitting on your butt all summer not moving.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
5/10/2018 10:35am
I have broken the left tib/fib back in the 90s, no surgery, and right tib/fib almost 10 years ago with surgery. Surgery was SO much faster of a recovery. Broken on Dec 12. Surgery that night with rod, plate, screws, no cast. Was riding stationary bike trainer by Feb, mountain biking outdoors the first week in April. Doc said once plated, the strength is there structurally, so at that point it's all about getting range of movement back and the swelling reduced. The one in the 90s occurred mid May, and it was thanksgiving before I raced again.
reded
5/10/2018 10:54am
sdjeff wrote:
^^ Ditch the Knee Scooter and get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/iWALK2-0-Hands-Free-Knee-Crutch/dp/B00092RB06 It looks ridiculous but it changed everything for me. It lets you keep use of...
^^ Ditch the Knee Scooter and get one of these: https://www.amazon.com/iWALK2-0-Hands-Free-Knee-Crutch/dp/B00092RB06

It looks ridiculous but it changed everything for me. It lets you keep use of your hands which was important for me because I live alone. I was even able to start mowing my lawn again 1 month after the break. Insurance doesn't cover them but for $150 it's worth it. It's a great convo starter too when you're out and about.
In my work world (went back 2wks post op) I need to get from one place to another fairly quickly so the scooter made sense. You wouldn't believe how fast you can cruise through Walmart on it....in/out!

I'm also using it to rehab by trying to push it a little better/faster each day with my bad leg.
Switch
5/10/2018 11:50am
I had the same injury 2 years ago from a Harley accident. The surgeon put 1 plate and 9 screws in the lower leg, and a wrope/string (sounds crazy but yea) around the ankle and under the skin to secure it. I was walking on it after 4 weeks, and riding after 2 month. It still bothers me, I still limp on cold days, and have surgery scheduled for June to have the hardware removed.
jonboy688
5/10/2018 12:24pm
it sucks!!! i got so much metal in mine you cant see the bone from the side, i am 6 months no weight so far, go back to the doctor at the end of this month with hopes of limping out!
5/10/2018 1:21pm
jonboy688 wrote:
it sucks!!! i got so much metal in mine you cant see the bone from the side, i am 6 months no weight so far, go...
it sucks!!! i got so much metal in mine you cant see the bone from the side, i am 6 months no weight so far, go back to the doctor at the end of this month with hopes of limping out!
Unreal.. hope for the best man good luck
Brent
5/10/2018 1:25pm
...shattered my tub/fib in 12 places at Lake Elsinore, my left foot was turned around almost backwards. 10 months off for me before I could start riding a bicycle again.
reded
5/10/2018 1:48pm
jonboy688 wrote:
it sucks!!! i got so much metal in mine you cant see the bone from the side, i am 6 months no weight so far, go...
Holy shit those pics are brutal!
RandyS
5/10/2018 8:28pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 8:28pm
I did a tib/fib with no displacement, I was riding in about 3 weeks just to prove I could(stupid). In an air cast in about 6 weeks I think. That was 30 years ago, doubt I'd heal that fast today.
brocster
5/10/2018 8:33pm Edited Date/Time 5/10/2018 8:42pm
Dec 3rd 2017. Broken tib/fib external fixator installed. Dec 14th fixator removed and 4 plates 22 screws installed. Tib only. Knee scooter and iwalkfree.com was the saving grace for 3months of no weight baring. I pushed/push in physical therapy. Its a slow process. Released to weight bare as tolerated with the boot on Feb 27. Two weeks later was hobling with a crutch for another 2 weeks. Been walking/limping for a few weeks now and I am coming up on 5 months post op. Stiff as eff in the morning pretty good throughout the day then sore as eff in the evening. Can pedal a cruiser around but surely couldn’t take any kind of stress. I have a high tolerance for pain and I push hard at therapy and the gains are minimal at best. Have to wear a compression sock on it to keep the swelling down, still gets big. Dr. Told me would take 9 months to a year for the pain and swelling to go away and to not run or jump on it for a year. Good luck to you guys going thru the same shit. Sorry to say but this injury will test you mentally for sure...

BTW- I have a modified (extra padding) iwalk free that I’m looking to sell if anyone is interested. Make me an offer I paid $150 but I am willing to help a brother out.
Motoxdoc
5/10/2018 11:10pm
Shit, looks like you're on easy street! That medial malleolus fracture (tibial part) is not fun...it is part of the mortise joint (ankle), but your joint space looks well preserved and not destroyed. However you will get bony spurs, scar tissue and arthritis. After your doc gives you the go ahead to do therapy...DO IT!...and keep that ankle joint moving as it further heals (within reason)...that way when scar tissue or new bone forms it will be conducive to movement. There's a lot of truth to the saying, If you don't use it, you'll lose it. The higher up fibula fracture is of little worry. I'm guessing 1 strip of plumbers tape and 6 screws for the fib and 1 or 2 screws for the tib. Hopefully it didn't require a syndesmotic screw (a screw that attaches the tib to the fib). When I did my tib/fib I didn't even crash. When I lifted my foot back onto the peg, my toes were pointing at a 45 degree angle outwards. I've got 23 screws and 2 plates in my lower tib/fib and another 10 screws and 2 plates on the same side tibial plateau! (2 separate accidents). That's 33 screws and 4 plates in my left entire tib/fib....and I can run a 5K and race my bike with no problem. Oh, and get the hands free iWalk thing! I had a different hands free crutch thingy I rented, but the iWalk looks better...they make a BIG difference with regards to mobility and comfort. It really sucks right now, but there is life after a tib/fib. Good Luck!!!!!
5/11/2018 3:52am
Appreciate all the feedback.. getting stitches out Monday and we’ll go from there
Betuel
5/11/2018 3:55am
I broke rib/fib just a tad higher than yours. Rod and screws in the tib from knee to ankle. Was riding again in 6 weeks, just to prove i could. No no nerve or muscle damage.

Post a reply to: Broken tib fib recovery

The Latest