Broken arm questions

Hey guys I'm new to the site but I have a quick question about 2 months ago I broke my arm really bad and so now I have muscle tendon and nerve damage along with them having to take out a piece of my muscle and a skin graft along with them having to reconstruct my arm and I have a plate and 9 screws so I got a bit going on haha but real question is do you guys think it's a career ender or do you think I can still ride. Thanks
|
Motofinne
3/9/2017 6:57am
I think your doctors would know better than any of us idiots on Vital Laughing

But it sounds like a difficult thing to go through, how old are you and how good are you? Follow the instructions(physio therapy) you get and take the time necessary off the bike and then get back to it when you're ready! Good luck!
305FC250
3/9/2017 7:04am
Doctor and others who've had similar injuries are the only ones who can really answer that...
3/9/2017 7:06am
Motofinne wrote:
I think your doctors would know better than any of us idiots on Vital :laugh: But it sounds like a difficult thing to go through, how...
I think your doctors would know better than any of us idiots on Vital Laughing

But it sounds like a difficult thing to go through, how old are you and how good are you? Follow the instructions(physio therapy) you get and take the time necessary off the bike and then get back to it when you're ready! Good luck!
I'm 16 so I'm still relatively young and I'm a Top 10 C rider and thank you! I have aggressive therapy now so I should be back in about 9 months
oceantrav
3/9/2017 7:11am
I remember when I broke my arm 15 years ago when I was about 15 years of age. I was right handed and broke my right arm. Had to switch to jerking with my left hand. 15 years later and still use that left hand. Not really sure if my story is relevant though...

The Shop

3/9/2017 7:17am
oceantrav wrote:
I remember when I broke my arm 15 years ago when I was about 15 years of age. I was right handed and broke my right...
I remember when I broke my arm 15 years ago when I was about 15 years of age. I was right handed and broke my right arm. Had to switch to jerking with my left hand. 15 years later and still use that left hand. Not really sure if my story is relevant though...
Lmao I'm right handed but I broke my left so I'm still good Haha, I'm super pissed about this injury though because it wasn't my fault at all someone was going the wrong way on the track and the flagger or I didn't see him so I went over the jump and I saw him and couldn't do anything about it so I went straight into him and the handlebars snapped my arm and created a 3 inch wide hole all the way down to the bone and everything else in the thread above so I'm pissed Haha
dsmith
Fantasy
1485th
3/9/2017 7:32am
sounds like roczen injury...maybe see how he does when it over...I broke my wrist real bad over the summer about 30 years ago....it still has an effect on movement....but it was so hot that summer I jumped right in a pool...itched like hell after that......
MVmoto
3/9/2017 10:11am
I compound fractured my radius and ulna in my left arm when I was 18. I had 2 steel plates and 13 screws installed by my friends father (who actually invented hang gliding and is now an orthopedic surgeon). About 6 months later I got the plates and screws removed and it made me feel much better. 16 years later I can still shred moto for the day and not feel any pain in my arm. I didn't have muscle or nerve damage though..... Good luck kid!
EMA884mx
3/9/2017 12:57pm
I broke my arm (ulna and radius) 11 years ago when I was 21 years old. Same sort of thing, head-on collision with another rider but I was riding desert trails and not on a motocross track. I had to have plates, pins, and screws placed in order to put it back together. I have never had the metal appliances removed as they have never given me any problems. Thank God I had no nerve damage and no loss of function. Hang in there, you are young and will heal quickly. You must though, think seriously about what you want to do in the future as injuries can limit what you may be able to do in the years ahead. Good luck!

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/9/2017 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2017 2:17pm
A friend of mine is a decorated MX champion from New Zealand (Daryl Atkins.) He suffered a horrific arm injury in a car accident, I believe, and had some major damage, but was able to recondition himself. He very nearly won the 2008 AMA Supermoto Unlimited Championship a few years after the injury.

Don't ever let the doctors decide your fate. Listen to medical advice, but don't let them tell you you'll never ride again.
gnarwhip
3/9/2017 2:56pm
I broke off the tip of my humerus (about a one inch square chunk) and the tip of my ulna in the elbow. Before my surgery he said doc said he would be happy if it was "functional". He put in a plate with 8 screws on the humerus and two pins and wire in the ulna. After a bunch of pt, I was racing full speed a year later. and 15 years later it's 90% with very little pain. That's just me though.
3/9/2017 3:02pm
gnarwhip wrote:
I broke off the tip of my humerus (about a one inch square chunk) and the tip of my ulna in the elbow. Before my surgery...
I broke off the tip of my humerus (about a one inch square chunk) and the tip of my ulna in the elbow. Before my surgery he said doc said he would be happy if it was "functional". He put in a plate with 8 screws on the humerus and two pins and wire in the ulna. After a bunch of pt, I was racing full speed a year later. and 15 years later it's 90% with very little pain. That's just me though.
That's sweet! I'm just hoping to be back before Loretta's next year
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
3/9/2017 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 3/9/2017 3:33pm
Was the skin graft used because of the damage caused by the protruding trauma only? Infection issues? What career are you referring to?

But really, there are so many questions that have to be answered before any inkling of a prognosis can be considered. Stuff like this can be very difficult to assess from a few pictures and posts.

One thing on your side is that you're 16.
dirtnapper
3/9/2017 4:27pm
oceantrav wrote:
I remember when I broke my arm 15 years ago when I was about 15 years of age. I was right handed and broke my right...
Lmao I'm right handed but I broke my left so I'm still good Haha, I'm super pissed about this injury though because it wasn't my fault...
Lmao I'm right handed but I broke my left so I'm still good Haha, I'm super pissed about this injury though because it wasn't my fault at all someone was going the wrong way on the track and the flagger or I didn't see him so I went over the jump and I saw him and couldn't do anything about it so I went straight into him and the handlebars snapped my arm and created a 3 inch wide hole all the way down to the bone and everything else in the thread above so I'm pissed Haha
Perhaps as you wait to heal up you can learn how to use periods and commas........Tongue

Get well soon
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
3/9/2017 4:31pm
I have to follow up from my last post:

Definitely do what you have to do to heal up as completely as you are going to get. Then, spend all the PT time you can.
After that, work on adapting to your new set of capabilities, whatever they are. Good luck!
3/9/2017 4:53pm
kzizok wrote:
Was the skin graft used because of the damage caused by the protruding trauma only? Infection issues? What career are you referring to? But really, there...
Was the skin graft used because of the damage caused by the protruding trauma only? Infection issues? What career are you referring to?

But really, there are so many questions that have to be answered before any inkling of a prognosis can be considered. Stuff like this can be very difficult to assess from a few pictures and posts.

One thing on your side is that you're 16.
I had a skin graft because I had a 3 inch wide hole all the way down to the bone on the top of my forearm and since I had emergency surgery they had to cover up the hole with the skin from the crease of my arm and they left that open for about a week and then I got a second surgery to cover the hole were they took the skin and so they got skin from my hip and put it there
3/9/2017 4:55pm
Falcon wrote:
I have to follow up from my last post: Definitely do what you have to do to heal up as completely as you are going to...
I have to follow up from my last post:

Definitely do what you have to do to heal up as completely as you are going to get. Then, spend all the PT time you can.
After that, work on adapting to your new set of capabilities, whatever they are. Good luck!
Thank you ! I'm definitely working hard at pt with agresive pt so hopefully I can be back way sooner than expected and make a full recovery!
gnarwhip
3/9/2017 7:01pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
That's an impressive run-on.
Ok typo-police. It's a f-ing internet forum...relax. Did you notice my ellipses was three dots and not four, or five? Happy?
Juice_Mann
3/9/2017 8:03pm
Juice_Mann wrote:
That's an impressive run-on.
gnarwhip wrote:
Ok typo-police. It's a f-ing internet forum...relax. Did you notice my ellipses was three dots and not four, or five? Happy?
Um... I wasn't referencing your post so chill out bro.
MX678
3/14/2017 3:14pm
I broke my humerus pretty bad in June of last year. Steel plate and 10 screws. I had radial nerve palsy from the get go and my first Dr opted for no surgery in the beginning. Three months late I had the surgery and started rehab about 2 months after. I have just started to regain wrist and finger extension. I'm figuring about 3-5 more months before I regain use of my thumb. I bought another bike about two weeks ago in hopes to ride late summer. A little premature but at the same time a little motivation. Don't give up on the nerve damage. It takes a long time to heal but keep trying to move the muscles that are effected.

Post a reply to: Broken arm questions

The Latest