Broc Tickle provisional antidoping suspension from WADA/FIM

FIREfish148
4/13/2018 5:57pm
How powerful of a stimulant is it comparable to though? Seems harsh to ban the kid from racing...
dkg
4/13/2018 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:00pm
Well, I have some mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I feel sorry for Tickle given this could very well be a career ending suspension. On the other hand, it looks like information about this banned supplement has been around for years. I find it difficult to believe that Tickle’s ingestion of the supplement was anything other than intentional or perhaps a case of simply being incredibly negligent. With the atheletes knowing they are going to be tested, I find it incomprehensible that they would get within a 100 miles of these supplements or anything else they don’t know for a certainty is safe.

As for penalties, basing it on the Olympic sport cycle and then applying the ban equally to all sports is a bit draconian. The penalty ought to be tailored to the sport. For some of these penalties where the athelete is wading through the apparent maze of the TUE process (for a legitimately prescribed medication) or where the ingestion is a result of tainted food at a restaraunt or something similar, a reduced penalty or probation seems more appropriate. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that either of these circumstances exist in Tickle’s case.

The sport rightfully asked for and implemented a testing process. Just because a positive test occurs is no reason for all the abuse directed towards the process. Anyone racing knows what they are signing up for.
GuyB
Fantasy
1215th
4/13/2018 6:00pm
dkg wrote:
Well, I have some mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I feel sorry for Tickle given this could very well be a career ending...
Well, I have some mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I feel sorry for Tickle given this could very well be a career ending suspension. On the other hand, it looks like information about this banned supplement has been around for years. I find it difficult to believe that Tickle’s ingestion of the supplement was anything other than intentional or perhaps a case of simply being incredibly negligent. With the atheletes knowing they are going to be tested, I find it incomprehensible that they would get within a 100 miles of these supplements or anything else they don’t know for a certainty is safe.

As for penalties, basing it on the Olympic sport cycle and then applying the ban equally to all sports is a bit draconian. The penalty ought to be tailored to the sport. For some of these penalties where the athelete is wading through the apparent maze of the TUE process (for a legitimately prescribed medication) or where the ingestion is a result of tainted food at a restaraunt or something similar, a reduced penalty or probation seems more appropriate. Unfortunately, it doesn’t seem that either of these circumstances exist in Tickle’s case.

The sport rightfully asked for and implemented a testing process. Just because a positive test occurs is no reason for all the abuse directed towards the process. Anyone racing knows what they are signing up for.
I completely agree on the penalty portion of your comments.

I like the idea of testing, but I think the WADA penalty structure is way over the top.
dirtmike86
4/13/2018 6:01pm
The 90s were so much cooler when the only thing riders did outside of racing was coke, strippers and ride the hills.

The Shop

js451
4/13/2018 6:06pm
How powerful of a stimulant is it comparable to though? Seems harsh to ban the kid from racing...
I tried jacked pre workout a few years ago from a mate that had it. It was similar to coffee for me (which i dont drink), left me a bit jittery, couldnt really sit still, maybe helped me lift a tiny bit more weight but nothing substantial. I never took it again and I really wouldnt consider it performance enhancing.

However if I was getting paid to compete in a sport where you can get tested I really do think I would be aware of what i was eating and consmuming.
Asimo
4/13/2018 6:06pm
dkg wrote:
Well, I have some mixed feelings about this. On the one hand I feel sorry for Tickle given this could very well be a career ending...

Yes, and some in MMA are asking for lifetime bans for some substances because it is too easy to pass tests and still be jacked to the gills.

So if you get popped, you're done. Some also want to do away with weight cuts and start using everyday weights because weight cutting is basically lots of diuretics, stims, and crazy shit like DNP. You can literally cook yourself with DNP but it works.

Some guys are dropping 40+ lbs in a few days. Its nuts.
BobKerr
4/13/2018 6:07pm
With the typical pro career lasting only 10 years, a 4 year suspension is WAY too harsh. 6-12 months is much more reasonable.
Premixed112
4/13/2018 6:10pm
Anyone that agrees with a FOUR YEAR ban for one bad test needs some sense slapped into their stupid ass. What are these people thinking?? Penalties like that shouldn't even be considered for a sport with as limited of a shelf life for its athletes like this one has, no matter what the violation is.
Panic_Rev
4/13/2018 6:19pm
Was this Dungeys big announcement? He’s coming back to fill in?
4/13/2018 6:20pm
Tickle (or KTM) pays a ton of money for him to be trained by Aldon. If he was taking a supplement without running it by his trainer, shame on him. On the other hand, if it was his trainer that advised him to take the supplement, that would place the blame on a different party.
BobKerr
4/13/2018 6:20pm
Jumping to conclusions is ALWAYS a bad idea.
I would love to listen to an interview with Aldon later on when all of this is settled.
goonslurkin316
Fantasy
1212th
4/13/2018 6:21pm
I’m not commenting to say Broc, or anyone else involved with racing has done this. Not really my business what anyone does, nor do I care too much; hope it works out for him, as he’s a great rider.

I’m only posting to talk about my experience, with DMAA; as it really caught me by surprise to see it mentioned on a motocross site, of all places. I don’t drink energy drinks, and not even coffee; so any sort of caffeine, or stimulant, would lead you to believe that I react in a pretty elevated manner to such.

I hadn’t taken any type of pre workout for my life’s entirety, never once using any kindof boost going to the gym. Moving away from racing, I began to lift weights years ago, and really put my focus towards the strength side, of strength and conditioning. However, about 5 months ago, I was convinced by my friend, to try this pre-workout, taking his word, and using a 1/2 scoop. It was a branch of the Jack3d series, was a “proprietary blend” of ingredients, and contained the 1-3 DMAA. The scoop, was about the size of my thumbnail.

I’ve never taken adderall, vivance, or anything like that. But my goodness, was this stuff performance changing. I was supersetting considerable deadlifts, with farmers walks as my breather. Literally just wanted to break the bar across my leg, almost like an entire different level of testosterone and aggression. It had me beyond energized, and the focus, for me, was out of this world. A definite rage like mentality.

After using it for about a week and a half, I progressed to a full scoop (two thumbnails), after a day at work, and light eating that day. Wrong move. I came home about 3 hours later, and legitimately thought I was going to have a heart attack, while I was laying down on the couch.

It was my ignorance to progress so fast, jumping head first into the most potent of stimulants. I should’ve eaten, taken it slow, and tried another pre workout, prior to dabbling into the hardcore stuff. To my knowledge, many retail stores won’t carry any product with the ingredient in it. I eventually told a friend, that I couldn’t imagine having this when I raced. I would either collapse on the track, win at all costs, or walk way injured. No in between. It’s a definite game changer.

Hope to see Broc on the track as soon as possible, and wish him the best.

4/13/2018 6:22pm
dkg wrote:

Asimo wrote:
Yes, and some in MMA are asking for lifetime bans for some substances because it is too easy to pass tests and still be jacked to...
Yes, and some in MMA are asking for lifetime bans for some substances because it is too easy to pass tests and still be jacked to the gills.

So if you get popped, you're done. Some also want to do away with weight cuts and start using everyday weights because weight cutting is basically lots of diuretics, stims, and crazy shit like DNP. You can literally cook yourself with DNP but it works.

Some guys are dropping 40+ lbs in a few days. Its nuts.
I knew fighters did crazy weight cuts but only recently realised how much those guys are actually cutting. For example apparantly Khabib weighs 200lbs between fights and comes down to 155. I can't imagine the state Holloway was in trying to make weight on such short notice.
ChubbyCat113
4/13/2018 6:24pm
MxKing809 wrote:
Man.... why did my Jeff Alessi meme get clipped?
GuyB wrote:
I dunno. Maybe because jokes seem a little out of place in here, and Jeff has nothing to do with the topic?
I found that out quick.....feel free to delete my comments if needed, not trying to start anything.
ChubbyCat113
4/13/2018 6:28pm
So I take it we don't have any real information from KTM or BT?
hamncheeze
4/13/2018 6:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:40pm
After I quit racing Moto I went to university and got an education. Then I started racing MTB in 1992. That led to racing road bikes and from 1996 to 2011 I managed to race at a pretty high level in N. America. Not pro, but at the cat 1 amateur level for most of those years. I raced against a crapload of guys from 2000-2008 who have since admitted to doping with EPO, HGH, cortisone, etc, etc. The testing was sparse. I was the opposite, because of my education, my age, my maturity and my non-reliance on cycling to absolutely determine my life....I never took anything. I raced sick. I skipped races when I was really sick. I never gambled on taking some OTC medicine unless I knew I was OK, like Benadryl for seasonal allergies. I saw guys like me actually test positive for stimulants in cold medicine before some of the WADA language was refined.

Here's the point I'm getting to. The athlete is ultimately responsible for what he/she puts in his/her body. They are responsible for knowing the risks, and the ingredients. Cade Clason seems like a nice guy, but he started taking Adderall AFTER the whole JS7 debacle without knowing for absolute certainty that he was good to go. I'm sure it was a naive mistake. But, he was dumb enough to roll the dice. Same thing with Tickle. Maybe he had a sniffle in early Feb and his wife bought him some cold medication at an alternative health place. And he just took it. What can I say....stupid is as stupid does. Guys like Anderson, Marvin and Tomac have been tested way more this year and have not tested positive. I'm not going to cry for Broc Tickle.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
321st
4/13/2018 6:30pm
Whatever happened to just eating REAL food, drinking water (or tea), and "supplements" were just vitamins. Feel bad for Broc.
Bry145
4/13/2018 6:31pm
Anyone that agrees with a FOUR YEAR ban for one bad test needs some sense slapped into their stupid ass. What are these people thinking?? Penalties...
Anyone that agrees with a FOUR YEAR ban for one bad test needs some sense slapped into their stupid ass. What are these people thinking?? Penalties like that shouldn't even be considered for a sport with as limited of a shelf life for its athletes like this one has, no matter what the violation is.
Having strong penalties should create a deterrent.

How many people would drink then drive (over the limit) if getting caught came with a four-year ban?

Part of being a professional athlete is following rules to the letter and dealing with consequences if caught doing otherwise.

That said, maybe the test was a false-positive and Tickle was following the rules. If so, he should get to return to action right away. If he was breaking the rules, at this point in his career he may be done. That's life in the jungle of pro racing.

Is his deal at KTM through 2019 or does it end this year?

And, dare I say, what if we tested the athletes at amateur motocross nationals?

Crush
4/13/2018 6:32pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:33pm
Wow. So is it definitely only through a pre-workout or bar or something? Like there’s not a tablet that someone might take?

Be interesting to see if we find out how he ingested it and if it was an oversight on his or Aldon’s behalf.... because that program ain’t cheap and this is likely Broc’s career.
kkawboy14
4/13/2018 6:34pm
APLMAN99 wrote:
If he can convince WADA/FIM that it was an unintentional, one off incident, he could be free and clear with a warning according to the FIM...
If he can convince WADA/FIM that it was an unintentional, one off incident, he could be free and clear with a warning according to the FIM Anti-Doping Code. But that might be pretty difficult.

Sounds like the 4 year ban could be reduced significantly if he can convince them that he wasn't intentionally cheating, also. Again, it'd be a tough stream to paddle up but it could be tried.
I have a feeling those people don’t listen very well when someone is trying to plead a case!
Premixed112
4/13/2018 6:36pm
Bry145 wrote:
Having strong penalties should create a deterrent. How many people would drink then drive (over the limit) if getting caught came with a four-year ban? Part...
Having strong penalties should create a deterrent.

How many people would drink then drive (over the limit) if getting caught came with a four-year ban?

Part of being a professional athlete is following rules to the letter and dealing with consequences if caught doing otherwise.

That said, maybe the test was a false-positive and Tickle was following the rules. If so, he should get to return to action right away. If he was breaking the rules, at this point in his career he may be done. That's life in the jungle of pro racing.

Is his deal at KTM through 2019 or does it end this year?

And, dare I say, what if we tested the athletes at amateur motocross nationals?

The punishment doesn't at all fit the crime if people are saying this substance is present in things like pre-workout... All I'm asking for is some rationality here. A ban for a year for a first time offense sends a plenty good message, and will affect the athlete's income and their future prospects a good deal when you factor in how short-term memory this sport is with results. But, a four year ban can kill a career in this sport. I can't support that.
hamncheeze
4/13/2018 6:38pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 7:02pm
It’s must be an absolute minefield for these guys trying to train, recover etc and knowing what to take and what to avoid. Would this stuff...
It’s must be an absolute minefield for these guys trying to train, recover etc and knowing what to take and what to avoid. Would this stuff really have any beneficial effect to a rider...doubtful.
It's actually not that hard. You train and rest and recover and you eat well. You don't take any chemical crap. If you are talented enough, you work hard and avoid the temptations of life along the way AND the gene pool gave you enough gifts you rise to the top. Don't ever make excuses for any athlete who tests positive.
Bry145
4/13/2018 6:44pm
The punishment doesn't at all fit the crime if people are saying this substance is present in things like pre-workout... All I'm asking for is some...
The punishment doesn't at all fit the crime if people are saying this substance is present in things like pre-workout... All I'm asking for is some rationality here. A ban for a year for a first time offense sends a plenty good message, and will affect the athlete's income and their future prospects a good deal when you factor in how short-term memory this sport is with results. But, a four year ban can kill a career in this sport. I can't support that.
No offense to Tickle, but at this point in his career a one-year ban may be terminal at his age and with 4-6 250 racers moving up to 450s soon.

Whether the punishment fits the crime is subjective and up to the sanctioning body.

I'd wager a guess Tickle has made millions and is healthy. He has done better than most in pro racing. If this is the end he has done pretty well for himself.

That said, maybe it was a false-positive, he did no wrong, and can return right away. Let's hope for the best.

4/13/2018 6:48pm Edited Date/Time 4/13/2018 6:49pm
Our sport is a joke.

The entire involvement of olympic type drug testing with penalties that don't remotely suit our sport are ridiculous.

And further - Broc still isn't a winner. Not hating - just stating. He can take every drug on the banned list - and he won't go one tenth faster.

Moto is the rare sport where it isn't something measureable in strength or pure fitness.

Shame for him - it's costly to appeal and not worth his time. Typical bureaucratic bullshit..he can call it a career in a sport where not nearly enough money is made for anyone involved for the investment, risk and longevity.
Asimo
4/13/2018 6:49pm
A false positive doesn't happen on a substance like DMAA.
jeffro503
4/13/2018 6:50pm
Asimo wrote:
Dont waste your money. Even if you could get legit stuff, it's questionable if it does anything.
GuyB wrote:
You’re starting to sound familiar. What can you tell us about real estate, snowmobiles, pizza, and naps?
I like the way you're rolling tonight Steve!
jeffro503
4/13/2018 6:53pm
GuyB wrote:
For those of you who think it’s funny to toss around names, or accuse particular trainers of running a “drug program”, bring evidence, or STFU.
Meant to quote this one.....
acres951
4/13/2018 6:58pm
Xracer wrote:
He's not shooting heroin into his eyelids, guys. If this is trace amounts, he may have had a low-end protein bar at the airport the day...
He's not shooting heroin into his eyelids, guys. If this is trace amounts, he may have had a low-end protein bar at the airport the day before the test...

https://www.usada.org/athlete-advisory-methylhexaneamine-and-dietary-supplements/
51xc wrote:
athlets could just stay clear of supplements and eat healthy. don't eat shit you have no clue about what it contains...athlete or not. pretty simple.
Clara Hughes. Multi Olympic Medalist. Heard her say only natural foods for her - apples, bananas and water.
I’m not though this thread yet but read your post and thought the same thing.
Even if you’re not doing anything on purpose, too much risk of ending a career.
IMO
JB 19
4/13/2018 7:02pm
If stick and ball players can eat hgh in the off season and turn into gorillas is all this Olympic testing really necessary?
aedwards07
4/13/2018 7:05pm
ML or GUYB,
Is there a list of guys who have been tested this year or last year? I would be curious who has been tested so far.

Post a reply to: Broc Tickle provisional antidoping suspension from WADA/FIM

The Latest