Brit in Atlanta

2/19/2018 12:10am
Hi all

I'm coming over to watch Atlanta and wondering if there's anywhere I can ride whilst I'm over there. Are there places you can hire bikes just for a day?

Cheers Matt
|
354racing
2/19/2018 3:58am
Highland park/Durhamtown
2/19/2018 6:23am
Highland Park MX / KTM World is a much better facility than Durhamtown. Vet track, A level track, trails from easy to extreme with lots of elevation changes. NO 4 wheelers/quads allowed on tracks and many of the trails. They rent bikes half day and full day.
2/19/2018 8:07am
Hey Matt, how did you get on for plane ticket pricing?, we have been trying to get a trip over planned but the prices of the flights were crazy.

Good on you for going tho!.

The Shop

jdsmooth
2/19/2018 8:17am
Matt,

I am from Georgia, and I have been riding at both places for years. I have rented bikes from both facilities, and rode both back in January. Neither Highland Park nor Durhamtown takes very good care of their motocross tracks. If you are interested in riding exclusively moto, I would encourage you to look into one of the training facilities in the state, and maybe they will have rental options. Durhamtown and Highland Park both offer great trail systems with trails ranging from beginner to expert. Both facilities are relatively close to Atlanta//the Georgia Dome (where the race will be held).

Durhamtown's rental fleet is solid for the beginner to intermediate rider, and the mechanics there are very helpful. That said, maintenance isn't top priority, and the majority of their rental vehicles are locked up in a "corral" outside. Durhamtown has approximately 12-15 tracks scattered over the property. The pro-level mx track is maintained, but the rest of the tracks are subject to the elements. Still very fun. Lots of good trails if you can find them deep in the woods.

Highland Park's rentals are top of the line KTM machines. That said, rentals here are expensive. The 2-3 tracks are not well maintained and grow boring quickly (beginner to intermediate level). However, the trails at Highlands are phenomenal, and very well kept.

Whatever you pick, have fun!
bball35
2/19/2018 9:41am
jdsmooth wrote:
Matt, I am from Georgia, and I have been riding at both places for years. I have rented bikes from both facilities, and rode both back...
Matt,

I am from Georgia, and I have been riding at both places for years. I have rented bikes from both facilities, and rode both back in January. Neither Highland Park nor Durhamtown takes very good care of their motocross tracks. If you are interested in riding exclusively moto, I would encourage you to look into one of the training facilities in the state, and maybe they will have rental options. Durhamtown and Highland Park both offer great trail systems with trails ranging from beginner to expert. Both facilities are relatively close to Atlanta//the Georgia Dome (where the race will be held).

Durhamtown's rental fleet is solid for the beginner to intermediate rider, and the mechanics there are very helpful. That said, maintenance isn't top priority, and the majority of their rental vehicles are locked up in a "corral" outside. Durhamtown has approximately 12-15 tracks scattered over the property. The pro-level mx track is maintained, but the rest of the tracks are subject to the elements. Still very fun. Lots of good trails if you can find them deep in the woods.

Highland Park's rentals are top of the line KTM machines. That said, rentals here are expensive. The 2-3 tracks are not well maintained and grow boring quickly (beginner to intermediate level). However, the trails at Highlands are phenomenal, and very well kept.

Whatever you pick, have fun!
One correction the race is at Mercedes-Benz Stadium now. Georgia Dome is no more.
mxr746
2/19/2018 10:27am
The best tracks are in Alabama. Several hours drive but well worth it. Monster mountain is well prepped every practice. Finding a bike is the problem as they don’t have rentals. Mill creek is also a great choice but practice days are not as frequent as Monster.
Jeff alessi
2/19/2018 10:44am Edited Date/Time 2/19/2018 10:48am
Take a look at scrubndirt mx, they are really good people and the lady who runs it (Lori) is a racer herself that has a great group working the track. She may even be able to find you a bike for the day. N it’s close to Atlanta. I also add the track is probably a perfect mixture for most talent levels, even I had a lot of fun their!

https://instagram.com/p/BfTWvoPAmwZ/
Ramptester
2/19/2018 10:45am
Agree with the assessment of rental bike options, although sometimes you may find a new rental at Durhamtown. Durhamtown has side by side rentals as well. Highland Park is an Alta electric bike dealer in addition to being called KTM world. The pro level track at Durhamtown is groomed a bit more than the pro track at HP, but both have monster jumps. The intermediate tracks have safe jumps that are still big. You would have a hard time seeing everything either place has to offer in one day. Durhamtown is close to 7000 acres (or 3000 hectares). If you go to HP, whatever you do, follow the directions on the website. GPS can take you down some sketchy fire roads in the middle of nowhere. Also suggest staying in a hotel. Rental “cabins” are pretty rustic...
2/22/2018 1:53pm
Cheers everyone for the replies I'll check them out. I can't wait its my first time in the state's
2/22/2018 1:55pm
#76 wrote:
Hey Matt, how did you get on for plane ticket pricing?, we have been trying to get a trip over planned but the prices of the...
Hey Matt, how did you get on for plane ticket pricing?, we have been trying to get a trip over planned but the prices of the flights were crazy.

Good on you for going tho!.
Flights was £550 in think we're staying at my mates dad's in Atlanta so saved on hotels

Post a reply to: Brit in Atlanta

The Latest