Bring Herlings to US full time!

3/27/2018 7:19pm
drt410 wrote:
Uhhh... Villopoto won his first MXGP race in the second friggin round. He was doing really well all while racing on tracks these guys always race...
Uhhh...

Villopoto won his first MXGP race in the second friggin round. He was doing really well all while racing on tracks these guys always race on and its literally his first time, he's also across the world in random countries racing against riders he's never raced against and he wins his second race. He only raced 4 races over there what point was made besides the fact that hes a badass that he won his second race he ever raced in the GP's against guys you guys are saying are the fastest in the world and in the premier series in the world, which in mx I agree, and by round 4 he's already won a round and is in 4th overall in points. He was 4th in points heading into Trentino where he crashed.

So his first ever MXGP race he gets 7th... (or as they say now we got 7th). So he gets comfortably within the top 10 in the premier mx series in the world his first race ever against guys he doesn't race and tracks he doesn't ride on a bike he doesn't ride in a country he's probably never been to. Then his second race ever over there he WINS. Nuff said there besides it wasn't one of those 2-3 type of wins where the other guys sucked so you get the overall type of wins. Na he won his first main and earned it. He went 1-3. Then the 3rd race he goes 4-4 for a fourth overall. Finally in the 4th round and in his final professional race he gets a 4th in moto 1 and then a DNF while in 3rd and the season/career is over.

So thats a 7th, 1st, 4th, then a 4th in moto 1 and a crash while in 3rd in moto 2 while trailing Cairoli who is in second. So in moto 2 Nagl is 13 seconds up on Cairoli, Villopoto is riding in 3nd right behind Cairoli but he's also battling with Desalle. He gets passed by Desalle and immediately passes him back within the same corner two times in a row to settle back into 3rd. They ride around a bit and while still in 3rd Desalle again makes another attempt and comes right next to him coming out of a corner and over a roller and Villopoto accidentally whiskey throttles it on the downside, breaks his tail bone, and his career is over with a DNF and subsequent retirement.

He was killing it over there and absolutely was a threat for the Championship with already a win and sitting comfortably in 4th place by round 4. This is Ryan Villopoto. Again he's racing guys he doesn't race, on tracks he doesn't ride, on a bike he doesn't ride, and he wins round 2 and is sitting in 4th in points and in his last moment he's in 3rd right behind Cairoli and battling with Desalle. If anything he proved that he's even more badass than we knew and was a threat for the championship over there too. Cant really argue against that when the facts are laid out.

It sucked to see him get hurt and then retire, but he DOMINATED over here against guys like idk..... Ryan Dungey who if you don't bring you A-game EVERY single race and slip up -1 time... Dungey wins the Championship. Yet he whoops him 4 straight years in a row in sx. Thats almost impossible to do, hell beating Dungey 1 year in supercross is almost impossible to do because he podiums every race....yet Villopoto did it. All this while riding like a freaking bat out of hell being clearly the fastest guy on the track every weekend and still having the consistency to beat Dungey 4 straight years. Thats insane.

Idk what anyones trying to prove, but Villopoto achieved something that is literally almost impossible to do and never rode for podiums and cemented himself as a certified badass that was a major success once he got to factory equipment. We were lucky to have had that period in MX/SX history and I just realized I didn't even address his MX championships either but theres already enough info and it was getting pretty long.
Dude, don't flip over Villopoto. He did fine in MXGP for the short period he was there, especially with all the challenges you mentioned.

But most people who really watched -- practice, qualifying races and motos -- would agree that he looked like a solid Top 5 guy, sometimes a podium guy, about on the level of Desalle. In fact, he was mixing it up with Desalle for fourth when he had his final crash; at that same event, he was ninth in timed practice and fourth in the qualifying race.

But that's as far as it went. There were retards here saying that Villopoto would dominate Cairoli and company. Wasn't gonna happen. Even with all the other injuries, I don't think Villopoto could've beaten Febvre, who was on fire in the second half of the season.

3/27/2018 7:22pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Dude I was there in Charolette and yes Webb did come back and run Jeffrey down in second Moro but that was a semi hybrid track...
Dude I was there in Charolette and yes Webb did come back and run Jeffrey down in second Moro but that was a semi hybrid track with supercross style to it as well and Herlings smoked him in first moto and that was the last time they raced ever!! I was cheering for Webb and screaming like everyone else but you make no sense and obviously aren’t paying attention to what’s going on across the pond!! They are dominating motocross right now and have a deep field of 450 pilots right now and Ironman should of opened your eyes last summer but gives. You did not see the difference in corner speed and style that Herlings was doing compared to our riders but no worries and you have your opinion like everyone else but as I stated earlier I would not bet against ac#222 or Herlings if they flew over here tonite at any of our outdoor tracks right now!! The way those guys are going right now if they get near front in October at des nations- game over!!
People conveniently forget that, at Charlotte, Herlings was in only his second race back from a broken clavicle. At the previous race (Assen) Herlings had struggled to beat Prado.

Herlings and Webb are in different universes now.
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 7:38pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Dude I was there in Charolette and yes Webb did come back and run Jeffrey down in second Moro but that was a semi hybrid track...
Dude I was there in Charolette and yes Webb did come back and run Jeffrey down in second Moro but that was a semi hybrid track with supercross style to it as well and Herlings smoked him in first moto and that was the last time they raced ever!! I was cheering for Webb and screaming like everyone else but you make no sense and obviously aren’t paying attention to what’s going on across the pond!! They are dominating motocross right now and have a deep field of 450 pilots right now and Ironman should of opened your eyes last summer but gives. You did not see the difference in corner speed and style that Herlings was doing compared to our riders but no worries and you have your opinion like everyone else but as I stated earlier I would not bet against ac#222 or Herlings if they flew over here tonite at any of our outdoor tracks right now!! The way those guys are going right now if they get near front in October at des nations- game over!!
People conveniently forget that, at Charlotte, Herlings was in only his second race back from a broken clavicle. At the previous race (Assen) Herlings had struggled...
People conveniently forget that, at Charlotte, Herlings was in only his second race back from a broken clavicle. At the previous race (Assen) Herlings had struggled to beat Prado.

Herlings and Webb are in different universes now.
Again spot on and guess some need another eye opener but you go it figured out!!
cbuehler767
3/27/2018 7:41pm
v1rus99 wrote:
The MXGP structure allows for a longer career. Even though Supercross is a great for viewers it really takes it toll on the riders. Look at...
The MXGP structure allows for a longer career.

Even though Supercross is a great for viewers it really takes it toll on the riders. Look at how many riders are injured this year alone.

To be honest I am enjoying the MXGP's more than the supercross. Villopoto went over the Europe and didn't replicate the results he got in the US. Not saying that he was slower but adapting to the weather, food and so on just take its toll on you.

Anyway, if I were Herlings I would stay where I am. Great Racing, World Titles and more time off during the year.
MXGP RV was already retired in his head simple as that. Nothing to do with travel, competition, adapting, etc

The Shop

3/27/2018 8:04pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 8:05pm
Beeby wrote:
How different it is to see people talk about the US Nationals as being inferior to MXGP. It certainly wasn't the case 10 years ago when...
How different it is to see people talk about the US Nationals as being inferior to MXGP. It certainly wasn't the case 10 years ago when you won the nationals and you were 'the fastest man on the planet'.

Its refreshing to see. I wonder how much credit should go to Villopoto for shining a light on the MXGP during his short stint in it.
I think the credit goes to Villopoto and to TV coverage in the US (from CBS SN or the Web package). I think more people see what a tremendous series they have in Europe, especially the diversity of circuits. (And the field of riders is just getting stronger, what with Anstie, Seewer and Lieber.)

It's MotoGP on dirt, and MotoGP is F1 on two wheels. Nothing else quite measures up.
3/27/2018 8:16pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 8:17pm
It's sad when euros try to discredit RV. I feel like MXGP gets way more viewers since then.. it was an eye opener for alot of people, including me
Ted722
3/27/2018 8:28pm
I haven't read the entire thread, but I like it the way it is. Come over here once a year, drop the mic, and go back across the pond continuing to attract more and more MXGP fans.
Beeby
3/27/2018 8:31pm Edited Date/Time 3/27/2018 8:34pm
It's sad when euros try to discredit RV. I feel like MXGP gets way more viewers since then.. it was an eye opener for alot of...
It's sad when euros try to discredit RV. I feel like MXGP gets way more viewers since then.. it was an eye opener for alot of people, including me
I don’t think anyone discredited him did they? It just seems you can ride an outdoor season here on a set of tracks that are fairly similar in format and layout and claim to be the best but never face the true challenge of a World Series.

People have talked about the challenges that poto faced being on the other side of the world, travelling etc but that is exactly what a WORLD championship is to me. You prove you can win anywhere, on any track at any time and to me travelling across the US doesn’t compare to truly international travel and cultures.

That’s before you roll in the variety between a hard pack track in some far flung track in Asia or somewhere, lommel and the wet of matterley.
B DUB 333
3/27/2018 8:31pm
Herlings beating a 32 year old dude.... put him over here and he's toast man. He's barely beating the senior citizen, wait, he's not they're tied. I pay plenty of attention to the gp's. There's two reasons he's not over here, first is Supercross, he may be good he may not, until he sacks up well never know. Second is competition, race a bunch of super fast kids he's already lost to, or, race Fred Sanford. Nothing but facts baby.
3/27/2018 8:33pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Herlings beating a 32 year old dude.... put him over here and he's toast man. He's barely beating the senior citizen, wait, he's not they're tied...
Herlings beating a 32 year old dude.... put him over here and he's toast man. He's barely beating the senior citizen, wait, he's not they're tied. I pay plenty of attention to the gp's. There's two reasons he's not over here, first is Supercross, he may be good he may not, until he sacks up well never know. Second is competition, race a bunch of super fast kids he's already lost to, or, race Fred Sanford. Nothing but facts baby.
I hope your job doesn't require random drug testing.
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 8:35pm
Ted722 wrote:
I haven't read the entire thread, but I like it the way it is. Come over here once a year, drop the mic, and go back...
I haven't read the entire thread, but I like it the way it is. Come over here once a year, drop the mic, and go back across the pond continuing to attract more and more MXGP fans.
That’s funny and very true as well!! I struggled thru supercross race sat nite as looked like arena cross track with 45 second lap times and have re watched mxgp race twice already!! Such a wide, fast track with so many different lines being taken that I saw something different each time I watched!! I love our guys as much as anyone but as soon as mxgp series starts I’m basically done with supercross over Here and look forward to nationals so I can see motocross from both sides of the pond!!
B DUB 333
3/27/2018 8:35pm
And if you were at that race with Webb you know damn well Webb had no third gear! He used second and fourth the last half of moto one!
Beeby
3/27/2018 8:36pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
Herlings beating a 32 year old dude.... put him over here and he's toast man. He's barely beating the senior citizen, wait, he's not they're tied...
Yeah. Are you sure you’ve ever watched this sport
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/27/2018 8:38pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
If you needed Ironman to see how fast he is your only proving your ignorance. Like so many that had no idea that AC was fast until the 2012 MxDN. Far too much is made of one race. It's still ACs world by the way as far as GPs are concerned. You keep mentioning Ironman, it was Musquin who threw down the fastest laps of the day and crashed out of an easy victory. The next race in Flordia it was Tomac who had the fastest laps of the races and he never attempted the quad and then the quad out. Herlings was the best rider overall he did not crash like Musquin and AC in Florda which cost both riders the win. You keep saying you don't pay attention to guys across the pond yet didn't know how fast Herlings was until he came to America? I can't be the only one who finds this ironic.
Beeby
3/27/2018 8:40pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Park Boys wrote:
If you needed Ironman to see how fast he is your only proving your ignorance. Like so many that had no idea that AC was fast...
If you needed Ironman to see how fast he is your only proving your ignorance. Like so many that had no idea that AC was fast until the 2012 MxDN. Far too much is made of one race. It's still ACs world by the way as far as GPs are concerned. You keep mentioning Ironman, it was Musquin who threw down the fastest laps of the day and crashed out of an easy victory. The next race in Flordia it was Tomac who had the fastest laps of the races and he never attempted the quad and then the quad out. Herlings was the best rider overall he did not crash like Musquin and AC in Florda which cost both riders the win. You keep saying you don't pay attention to guys across the pond yet didn't know how fast Herlings was until he came to America? I can't be the only one who finds this ironic.
Don’t feed the troll
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 8:40pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
And if you were at that race with Webb you know damn well Webb had no third gear! He used second and fourth the last half...
And if you were at that race with Webb you know damn well Webb had no third gear! He used second and fourth the last half of moto one!
I talked to Webb after the race big guy and like I said earlier he rode great and was stoked but moving forward Herlings could spot Webb a simpsons episode right now and run him down and if you don’t believe it your simply out of touch with reality of the sport right now!!
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/27/2018 8:41pm
B DUB 333 wrote:
AC might as well be god as far as your concerned. Unless your trolling otherwise keep up the good work.
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 8:44pm
I actually got to see Webb and Kenny get their #1 plates at Budds creek and two weeks later got to see Herlings and Ggeisar get their plates at Charlotte and that was kinda cool I thought as that probably won’t happen for me again!!told my son he got to witness something pretty cool in two weeks time!! Webb signed some stuff for my boy after race!!
3/27/2018 8:44pm
It's sad when euros try to discredit RV. I feel like MXGP gets way more viewers since then.. it was an eye opener for alot of...
Beeby wrote:
I don’t think anyone discredited him did they? It just seems you can ride an outdoor season here on a set of tracks that are fairly...
I don’t think anyone discredited him did they? It just seems you can ride an outdoor season here on a set of tracks that are fairly similar in format and layout and claim to be the best but never face the true challenge of a World Series.

People have talked about the challenges that poto faced being on the other side of the world, travelling etc but that is exactly what a WORLD championship is to me. You prove you can win anywhere, on any track at any time and to me travelling across the US doesn’t compare to truly international travel and cultures.

That’s before you roll in the variety between a hard pack track in some far flung track in Asia or somewhere, lommel and the wet of matterley.
I've seen it a lot. Basically anytime a mxgp vs national conservation comes up.

Stuff along the lines of..
-RV couldn't handle a real mx series
-the euros retired RV
-he broke his bum trying to ride euro speeds.

A lot of people don't like to give credit where it is due. I'll admit I see that from both sides though
3/27/2018 8:51pm
Park Boys wrote:
If you needed Ironman to see how fast he is your only proving your ignorance. Like so many that had no idea that AC was fast...
Dude, you cherry-pick. At the second moto at Ironman, Herlings crashed too. Why do you count one and not the other? Musquin turned fastest lap from the front (duh), while Herlings was burning through traffic. Herlings was fastest in every practice/qualifying session and won both motos. I like Marvin a lot, but, at most, he'd have won the overall on a tie-breaker. That's your "easy win"?

At the USGP, similar thing: In the first moto, Tomac made a great start, and Herlings and Cairoli made terrible starts. Credit to Tomac (I like him a lot too), but he turned fast laps from the front, while Herlings and Cairoli were tearing that field to pieces. Even then, Tomac had fastest lap by an eyelash -- 3 tenths. In Moto 2, Tomac was a non-factor, and his best lap was about a second and a half off Cairoli's best. Tomac himself said he was surprised by the pace those two guys set.

Do you think no one else was watching?
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 8:58pm
Park Boys wrote:
Dude, you cherry-pick. At the second moto at Ironman, Herlings crashed too. Why do you count one and not the other? Musquin turned fastest lap from...
Dude, you cherry-pick. At the second moto at Ironman, Herlings crashed too. Why do you count one and not the other? Musquin turned fastest lap from the front (duh), while Herlings was burning through traffic. Herlings was fastest in every practice/qualifying session and won both motos. I like Marvin a lot, but, at most, he'd have won the overall on a tie-breaker. That's your "easy win"?

At the USGP, similar thing: In the first moto, Tomac made a great start, and Herlings and Cairoli made terrible starts. Credit to Tomac (I like him a lot too), but he turned fast laps from the front, while Herlings and Cairoli were tearing that field to pieces. Even then, Tomac had fastest lap by an eyelash -- 3 tenths. In Moto 2, Tomac was a non-factor, and his best lap was about a second and a half off Cairoli's best. Tomac himself said he was surprised by the pace those two guys set.

Brownstone322 for da win!! I’ve been watching motocross and following sport including mxgp for many years but some of these guys are have a hard time with the truth but whatever and if it wouldn’t have been Ironman it would have been at any other national on the circuit IMO!! I believe soe Will get another wake up call come October!!
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/27/2018 9:02pm
Dude, you cherry-pick. At the second moto at Ironman, Herlings crashed too. Why do you count one and not the other? Musquin turned fastest lap from...

Musquins best lap of the race was running Jeffrey down in Moto 1 at Ironman, Herlings had the faster lap time in Moto 2 coming from behind. If your gonna come at my with stats at least be right.... no one ever is.

The point I'm making is he is freaking out about Herlings at Ironman like he was in a league by himself. Both guys best laps were very similar in both motos.

As far as bad starts in Florida they were both top 10 starts and yes Tomac was flat in Moto 2 and lost but it was his first GP Moto loss after all and people use his one loss and they are like look look at that couldn't hang nevermind you his laptime gaps form 2016 were some of the biggest I have ever seen for a non sand track.

I don't really care either way I have said before I and I'll say it again Tomac and Herlings are very similar in one respect they needed Roczen to not be lined up against them to win a title, although Tomac beat Roczen for a 250 title.
Shaned9326
3/27/2018 9:11pm
Park Boys wrote:
Musquins best lap of the race was running Jeffrey down in Moto 1 at Ironman, Herlings had the faster lap time in Moto 2 coming from...
Musquins best lap of the race was running Jeffrey down in Moto 1 at Ironman, Herlings had the faster lap time in Moto 2 coming from behind. If your gonna come at my with stats at least be right.... no one ever is.

The point I'm making is he is freaking out about Herlings at Ironman like he was in a league by himself. Both guys best laps were very similar in both motos.

As far as bad starts in Florida they were both top 10 starts and yes Tomac was flat in Moto 2 and lost but it was his first GP Moto loss after all and people use his one loss and they are like look look at that couldn't hang nevermind you his laptime gaps form 2016 were some of the biggest I have ever seen for a non sand track.

I don't really care either way I have said before I and I'll say it again Tomac and Herlings are very similar in one respect they needed Roczen to not be lined up against them to win a title, although Tomac beat Roczen for a 250 title.
Brol I’ve been watching Herlings for many years and the reason I’m using Ironman is because it’s the only damn national he raced!! Would you of rather it been Southwick? Think not!! I personally pull for tomac wherever he is and am damn glad to see him win and hate to see him lose!!
3/27/2018 9:14pm
Park Boys wrote:
Musquins best lap of the race was running Jeffrey down in Moto 1 at Ironman, Herlings had the faster lap time in Moto 2 coming from...

You seem very knowledgable, so, goddamn, you already know the basics about Ironman: Herlings was on a borrowed AMA-spec bike on a track he'd never seen before. And he rolled those fuckers. It was an impressive performance, not quite like anything I'd ever seen. In the first moto, I thought Musquin was gonna kill himself trying to stay on Herlings' rear wheel. Herlings broke him. Fuck his fast lap.

And keep trying to convince yourself that 2010 is relevant now. No one else buys it.

Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/27/2018 9:18pm
Shaned9326 wrote:
Brol I’ve been watching Herlings for many years and the reason I’m using Ironman is because it’s the only damn national he raced!! Would you of...
Brol I’ve been watching Herlings for many years and the reason I’m using Ironman is because it’s the only damn national he raced!! Would you of rather it been Southwick? Think not!! I personally pull for tomac wherever he is and am damn glad to see him win and hate to see him lose!!
Actually if I can think of one dream race it's Tomac vs Herlings at southwick. In Deep sand sure Tomac would need some help to beat Herlings but at southwick that would be the race of the year. That is undoubtedly Tomacs best track.
mxjon454
3/27/2018 10:12pm
You guys really think that Tomac wouldnt be able to run with him here in the states over the course of a season? Lol Tomac was trying to wrap up the title in the last round of the nationals last year and he probably didnt even want to be at the MXGP. We'll see what Tomacs got this year outdoors now that he won the title last year, but i dont think hes going to make the same mistakes hes made in supercross this year and outdoors last year. Tomacs gunna be on another level outdoors IMO.
Park Boys
Fantasy
32nd
3/27/2018 10:24pm
You seem very knowledgable, so, goddamn, you already know the basics about Ironman: Herlings was on a borrowed AMA-spec bike on a track he'd never seen...
You seem very knowledgable, so, goddamn, you already know the basics about Ironman: Herlings was on a borrowed AMA-spec bike on a track he'd never seen before. And he rolled those fuckers. It was an impressive performance, not quite like anything I'd ever seen. In the first moto, I thought Musquin was gonna kill himself trying to stay on Herlings' rear wheel. Herlings broke him. Fuck his fast lap.

And keep trying to convince yourself that 2010 is relevant now. No one else buys it.

The butt hurt in you is stong, on this very site Herlings said the bike was good and couldn't be used as an excuse. But if you think in a sense I thought the 40 guys at Ironman were competiton for Herlings no. By Moto 2 he had to beat Musquin all things considered for speed and Musquin crashed all by himself crusing out front. Roczen and Anderson were gone. Bagget was hurt and was never close to his early - mid season form and Tomac was just racing to win a title by Moto 2 after crashing in Moto 1. Injuries and situations are why I don't go nuts for Ironman 17. Herlings baseline speed is gonna be way faster than all the other guys out there sans those listed. I said he would win Ironman that year. But he didn't have to race most of the Elite AMA guys and you can't judge everything off of that Race. Would be like Judging Herlings vs Anderson using MxDN in 16, too small of a sample size and a lot talent wasn't there. More or less that race was Herlings 1 Musquin 0. Just like the GPs right now, with Gasjer coming back from injury and Febvre it seems hasn't been the same since Matterly 16. The rest of the guys are just filler to AC and Herlings at this moment. This MXGP season has been one big match race so far, just like Ironman ended up being.
KennyT
Fantasy
280th
3/27/2018 10:29pm
Pretty obvious. If you are good enough to b World champion why settle for National?
jemcee
3/27/2018 10:34pm
I mean yeah Herlings was super impressive at Ironman but some argue the US riders had a few 'reasons' they weren't trying their hardest, but let's say a guy went over to the states at about round 4 and only rode once before the race and came second in the first moto now THAT would be impressive
RG1
3/27/2018 10:51pm

Park Boys wrote:

It's kind of harsh to say that Herlings needed Roczen to not be lined up against him to win a title. They only really had 1 season where they went head to head for a title, Roczen won reasonably comfortably, no doubt about that, but he did have almost a complete season of GP experience over Herlings, which counts for a lot at that age, and I'm not sure it's enough of a sample size to say that Herlings could not have beaten Roczen for a title.

Post a reply to: Bring Herlings to US full time!

The Latest