Bring Back the Claiming Rule

WFO
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:51am
Bing Back the Claiming Rule, and hurry!
Our sport needs someone that is a forward thinker. Someone that is thinking of taking our sport to a higher level 10 years from now and beyond.
The 250 four stroke isn't killing our sport, rather the people making the decisions are.
We all know the 250 class is the entry level class, yet we have allowed "money" (and politics)to dictate the direction of this class and, in turn, the level of racing.
Unfortunately, bringing back the "Claiming Rule" would fix this for the short term, but some major changes in our sport remain.
A few "shops" shouldn't be able to dominate the entry level class just because of $$$, especially when it threatens the future of the Sport.
Allowing more kids to have a shot at racing is obviously better in the long run.
More bikes racing is definitely better than a few with all the glitter.
It's not about today, it's about tomorrow, and I sure don't see anything positive coming from the people holding the strings.

|
mx184
1/12/2011 3:53pm
You can still claim a bike If I remember correctly, it just cost more.
flarider
1/12/2011 3:55pm
mx184 wrote:
Not in pro racing

Only amateur offers a claim rule
TeamGreen
1/12/2011 4:01pm
O.K., set a price:

$10,000?

$15,000?

$20,000?

$25,000?

Lites Only? (Makes more sense to me!)

Do you really HATE seeing the trick bikes and parts at an SX?

'Cause that shit will be OVER if you pursue this at the "wrong-price".

I'm jus' sayin'...
mx184
1/12/2011 4:08pm
mx184 wrote:
flarider wrote:
Not in pro racing

Only amateur offers a claim rule
Thanks for the info sir.

The Shop

flarider
1/12/2011 4:10pm
If you brought it back, it'd just be the lottery game again anyway.

Every team would show at every race with the required claim amount, once any claim is presented, every team will enter the claim pool, requiring a drawing of straws lottery, lessening the odds for the original claimant. Once one of the teams win the claim, they hand the bike back to the original team, who repays the claim money paid.

Collusion

haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/12/2011 4:11pm
Is there really that much difference between Tickles bike and mine if i took it to PC and got them to build a motor and do my suspension?

I mean the fact that they have the funds and time to make sure the bike is rebuilt down to the frame every race and testing time is the obvious difference but other than that?

Can i actually buy his motor and forks from PC??
jndmx
1/12/2011 4:15pm
haydos25 wrote:
Is there really that much difference between Tickles bike and mine if i took it to PC and got them to build a motor and do...
Is there really that much difference between Tickles bike and mine if i took it to PC and got them to build a motor and do my suspension?

I mean the fact that they have the funds and time to make sure the bike is rebuilt down to the frame every race and testing time is the obvious difference but other than that?

I would say no, you could not buy the stuff that goes on Mitch's bikes or any of the factory bikes.

You can buy some great stuff from PC but nothing close to what they are riding on the track.
flarider
1/12/2011 4:16pm
haydos25 wrote:
Is there really that much difference between Tickles bike and mine if i took it to PC and got them to build a motor and do...

No

and some parts are so expensive, it cost more than the bike
I believe the transmission costs more than the whole bike new.
(they still using that French or is it Italian tranny?)
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/12/2011 4:19pm
Well if that's the case then that's wrong. I understand this is a professional class and everything but that goes against the grain of having a production rule and the whole rules with the suspension having to be available to privateers.

They should be forced to run standard gear boxes at the minimum.

WFO
1/12/2011 4:21pm
My post was in regards to the Lites class.

15k or less, and the "trick" bikes in the Lites class should be finished!

We have priced "most" kids and parents out of racing the 250 class. Either that or start a Support class with only 125 2 strokes and age 14-16.
TeamGreen
1/12/2011 4:28pm
WFO wrote:
My post was in regards to the Lites class. 15k or less, and the "trick" bikes in the Lites class should be finished! We have priced...

We have priced "most" kids and parents out of racing the 250 class. Either that or start a Support class with only 125 2 strokes and age 14-16.
In all honesty...

You can build a helluva bike for $15K and the factories would simply have to up-the-game on their end (A few better OEM parts right out of the box) to keep things damn near where they're at, now.

You'd be surprised at how progressive the rate is on an expenditure to performance basis.

There's an awful lot of money spent on that last 5%.
Mstock
1/12/2011 4:33pm
I would like to see the production rule dropped and full on works bikes again.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/12/2011 4:34pm
If you bring in a 15 grand claim price, are we just gonna see somebody claim the PC and Geico bikes every week? I mean, they're awesome bikes, but the fact is they're up front every week mainly because the factory spots them the cash to hire the best riders year in and year out. If you told Mitch to build bikes with 15 grand a piece budget i'd still be willing to back his riders in every week, because they are the best riders, plain and simple.

How far do you go? is there gonna be a salary cap come in?
WFO
1/12/2011 4:35pm
WFO wrote:
My post was in regards to the Lites class. 15k or less, and the "trick" bikes in the Lites class should be finished! We have priced...

TeamGreen wrote:
In all honesty... You can build a helluva bike for $15K and the factories would simply have to up-the-game on their end (A few better OEM...
In all honesty...

You can build a helluva bike for $15K and the factories would simply have to up-the-game on their end (A few better OEM parts right out of the box) to keep things damn near where they're at, now.

You'd be surprised at how progressive the rate is on an expenditure to performance basis.

There's an awful lot of money spent on that last 5%.
I'm with ya,......

I would prefer to limit the 250 class to pipe, sprockets, piston (stock bore) and suspension valving but nothing more. Add on's such as levers, bars, seats, filters etc are ok.
No A-kit, no trannys, no coatings, motor work at all.
1/12/2011 4:36pm
check out transworlds thing on kevin windhams bike. tho im sure there are some hidden parts. and maybe tranny, most of that bike can be bought.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
1/12/2011 4:39pm
haydos25 wrote:
If you bring in a 15 grand claim price, are we just gonna see somebody claim the PC and Geico bikes every week? I mean, they're...
If you bring in a 15 grand claim price, are we just gonna see somebody claim the PC and Geico bikes every week? I mean, they're awesome bikes, but the fact is they're up front every week mainly because the factory spots them the cash to hire the best riders year in and year out. If you told Mitch to build bikes with 15 grand a piece budget i'd still be willing to back his riders in every week, because they are the best riders, plain and simple.

My guess is, $15,000 would be a bargain price for one of the Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasakis.
1/12/2011 4:42pm
haydos25 wrote:
If you bring in a 15 grand claim price, are we just gonna see somebody claim the PC and Geico bikes every week? I mean, they're...

GuyB wrote:
My guess is, $15,000 would be a bargain price for one of the Monster Energy Pro Circuit Kawasakis.
hell yea, id be game for one.
a new 250 is what, like 6000. add a pipe, suspension revalve and springs, bars and clamps, trick wheels and your already close to 10k.
TeamGreen
1/12/2011 5:46pm
haydos25 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
As it stands, right now?

Absolutely.
BobbyM
1/12/2011 6:00pm
WFO wrote:
Bing Back the Claiming Rule, and hurry! Our sport needs someone that is a forward thinker. Someone that is thinking of taking our sport to a...
Bing Back the Claiming Rule, and hurry!
Our sport needs someone that is a forward thinker. Someone that is thinking of taking our sport to a higher level 10 years from now and beyond.
The 250 four stroke isn't killing our sport, rather the people making the decisions are.
We all know the 250 class is the entry level class, yet we have allowed "money" (and politics)to dictate the direction of this class and, in turn, the level of racing.
Unfortunately, bringing back the "Claiming Rule" would fix this for the short term, but some major changes in our sport remain.
A few "shops" shouldn't be able to dominate the entry level class just because of $$$, especially when it threatens the future of the Sport.
Allowing more kids to have a shot at racing is obviously better in the long run.
More bikes racing is definitely better than a few with all the glitter.
It's not about today, it's about tomorrow, and I sure don't see anything positive coming from the people holding the strings.

yea...and pudding bowl helmets too!
CCMX
1/12/2011 6:03pm
Adam Chatfield claimed Mike Alessi's supermini at LL's a few years back. Not sure if a claiming rule would work, most of these kids parents realized the future of mx for their kids was 15 years and 60 amateur nationals ago, not to mention the hundreds of thousands of dollars and emergency room visits it took to get here. Most top level entry guys have earned that high dollar ride and most would probably do well with just good suspension.
FastEddy
Fantasy
890th
1/12/2011 6:16pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2011 6:18pm
haydos25 wrote:

GuyB wrote:
Yep.
In 2001 I was looking into buying either a PC KX125 or a new YZ250F (same year Ern won on one at the opener). I called PC and after about 20minutes on the phone,it was a 250F. Smile
I think just for the forks they quoted me something like 4k to 5k and that was 10 years ago,so I could only imagine now....
mxb2
1/12/2011 8:06pm
haydos25 wrote:

Rumor has it Pourcels 250f transmission last year cost 20g s, the suspension probably 8 gs, do they still have the restriction on money spent on suspension in the 250 class? I thought the limit was 8 grand. Bike 7 grand, etc PC bikes easy 40 grand IMO.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/12/2011 8:13pm Edited Date/Time 1/12/2011 8:14pm
mxb2 wrote:
Rumor has it Pourcels 250f transmission last year cost 20g s, the suspension probably 8 gs, do they still have the restriction on money spent on...
Rumor has it Pourcels 250f transmission last year cost 20g s, the suspension probably 8 gs, do they still have the restriction on money spent on suspension in the 250 class? I thought the limit was 8 grand. Bike 7 grand, etc PC bikes easy 40 grand IMO.
I thought they still did have the limit on suspension. Or had to have proof that they have supplied the same suspension to others at a reasonable cost, or something along those lines, im going purely from memory here.

But if you had a 15 grand claim rule it might cap PC's spending. But say they only spend 15 grand on parts for the bike. They still rebuild them every week, they still spend countless hours testing different set ups pre season, they are still perfect and brand new every time the gate drops and more importantly they still win because they have the best riders, paid for by monster and in part im sure Kawi.

There is no way to stop that going on. It may shorten the gap between the haves and have nots but they will still win due to the riders, and thats the beauty of it, the best riders always win.
Mod Killer
1/12/2011 8:19pm
haydos25 wrote:

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

youre never going to get the worx tires

youre never going to get the worx suspension

youre never going to get the worx tranny

and all those things are legal.

nevermind the fact that the title sponsor of the series is also PC's title sponsor. talk about a conflict of interest.

they havent done a post-race tear down in years. and if they did, their wouldnt be a disqualification of a monster sponsored bike unless the ama/feld suddenly thought not having a title sponsor was a good idea.

if monster is paying the bills, they want their guys on tv. if you dont like that, the alternative is no televised racing, or no pro racing for that matter.

everyone is so bitter about what goes on behind the scenes. and to a degree, i dont blame you, and i share many of the same sentiments. that other thread attacking DC and Jody is maybe one of the more intelligent and civil threads this sites ever seen. but its all for not. the oem's are going to do what they are going to do, and the majority of you lemmings are going to fall right into line. its what were all conditioned to do from a very early age.

its no different than those who complain about the lakers dominance in the nba and the favourtism they recieve. without the lakers, the nba would be dead. so pick your poison.

its all WWE to some degree. entertainment, sports, elections, etc. you want results? either start burning shit down and get crazy and the results will come.... or go ride and just enjoy what little time you have on the planet.
haydos25
Fantasy
3325th
1/12/2011 8:31pm
Mod Killer wrote:
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha youre never going to get the worx tires youre never going to get the worx suspension youre never going to get the worx tranny and...

nevermind the fact that the title sponsor of the series is also PC's title sponsor. talk about a conflict of interest.

they havent done a post-race tear down in years. and if they did, their wouldnt be a disqualification of a monster sponsored bike unless the ama/feld suddenly thought not having a title sponsor was a good idea.

if monster is paying the bills, they want their guys on tv. if you dont like that, the alternative is no televised racing, or no pro racing for that matter.

everyone is so bitter about what goes on behind the scenes. and to a degree, i dont blame you, and i share many of the same sentiments. that other thread attacking DC and Jody is maybe one of the more intelligent and civil threads this sites ever seen. but its all for not. the oem's are going to do what they are going to do, and the majority of you lemmings are going to fall right into line. its what were all conditioned to do from a very early age.

its no different than those who complain about the lakers dominance in the nba and the favourtism they recieve. without the lakers, the nba would be dead. so pick your poison.

its all WWE to some degree. entertainment, sports, elections, etc. you want results? either start burning shit down and get crazy and the results will come.... or go ride and just enjoy what little time you have on the planet.
Take off the tin foil cap mate. Conspiracy theory's are getting old.

Pro circuit and factory's were winning championships before monster came on board so to flat out accuse them of cheating is a bit off the mark i think.

If they havn't done a tear down in years then why isn't everyone cheating??

The fastest guys get to ride the fastest bikes because they are the fastest. That is also why they win.

You want a better bike? ride faster and somebody will give you one.
CCMX
1/12/2011 8:32pm

WOW. X2
Robert
1/12/2011 9:12pm
I say we bring back full blown one off factory bikes. You want a good ride? Earn it. Claiming is gay
Mod Killer
1/12/2011 9:21pm
Mod Killer wrote:
hahahahahahahahahahahahaha youre never going to get the worx tires youre never going to get the worx suspension youre never going to get the worx tranny and...

haydos25 wrote:
Take off the tin foil cap mate. Conspiracy theory's are getting old. Pro circuit and factory's were winning championships before monster came on board so to...
Take off the tin foil cap mate. Conspiracy theory's are getting old.

Pro circuit and factory's were winning championships before monster came on board so to flat out accuse them of cheating is a bit off the mark i think.

If they havn't done a tear down in years then why isn't everyone cheating??

The fastest guys get to ride the fastest bikes because they are the fastest. That is also why they win.

You want a better bike? ride faster and somebody will give you one.
no theory here. ask DC how many technical tear downs they did at the nationals last year.

you asked a question, im giving you an answer. you dont have to find me credible. you dont know who i know or what ive had the chance to see up close. and thats ok if you dont believe me. but you'll notice, nobody credible here is going to argue with my statements.

u take a kid with his pro license and LL's filled resume down to Pro Circuit and buy everything they sell, youre not even going to be in the same league as one of their team bikes. thats not a conspiracy theory, thats a fact ive seen with my own eyes.

who's cheating depends on who's allowed to get away with it. before the energy drinks, the oem's paid the bills, and they were running worx cylinders and heads on their 125's/250's. just cause it looks like production from the outside doesnt mean shit.

its the whole reason the production rules even exist. the oem's can cheat, you cant. with true worx racing and no displacement limits, hp is cheap, innovation can come from anywhere, and the playing field is truly level.

have you ever actually seen a factory bike up close? if you have a keen eye, you will see welds and differences in the frame from oem spec.

hell, there was a privateer a few years back running a big bore kit in the outdoors. after two holeshots the accusations started flying and he was under a microscope and then his bike got waaay slower and made quite the different sound. i dont blame the kid for trying one bit. i wish more privateers and private teams just said fuck it! and started playing by the same rules.

its why im a big fan of JGR. private team. the oem's hate em. beating them at their own game. i hope H&H reach that status at some point.

but you do bring up one good point, yes, most the fastest guys do get the fastest bikes. true. the cream do rise to the top. that doesnt mean the fastest bikes are exactly legal.
CamP
1/12/2011 9:23pm
WFO wrote:
I'm with ya,...... I would prefer to limit the 250 class to pipe, sprockets, piston (stock bore) and suspension valving but nothing more. Add on's such...
I'm with ya,......

I would prefer to limit the 250 class to pipe, sprockets, piston (stock bore) and suspension valving but nothing more. Add on's such as levers, bars, seats, filters etc are ok.
That's exactly what should happen.
Mod Killer
1/12/2011 9:32pm
WFO wrote:
I'm with ya,...... I would prefer to limit the 250 class to pipe, sprockets, piston (stock bore) and suspension valving but nothing more. Add on's such...
I'm with ya,......

CamP wrote:
That's exactly what should happen.
who's going to enforce this?

also, you put the mfg's in a horrible position of trying to balance producing a bike that is marketable on the pro racing scene (as in, fast as shit but nothing any consumer wants to buy) versus a bike that is rider friendly and reliable for the average consumer. take the current situation in world superbike for instance. kawasaki chooses to build a bike that is great for the street in the zx-10. due to the fact that wsbk is one of the few series that actually enforces it rules, the bike is next to impossible to make competitive on the track. on the flip side, aprilia makes a bike thats a world beater on the track....but far from a great bike for the average consumer on city streets.

not allowing motor work and certain other mods just isnt realistic.

then the mfg's circumvent your rule by making homologation specials that only some have access too. i know, your solution is to raise the homologation limits? thats only perpetuates another problem that currently exists. homologation rules severely hurt new oem's from getting started and joining racing, furthering the monopoly that the few in control have.

"superstock class" rules are great in theory. and great for amateur racing. but have no business near pro racing as it just makes more problems than it solves.

Post a reply to: Bring Back the Claiming Rule

The Latest