Bring Back Straw Bales

Grizz
2/2/2021 9:44pm
Yes landing on a hard hay bale sounds much better than a soft foam block.
crockett
2/2/2021 10:14pm
Bring back racing banners too! Love seeing guys hit triples with them caught in the rear wheel.
RaceFan
2/2/2021 10:22pm
When Jett went down I knew tough blocks would be the new enemy no.1 Smile

The Shop

Motofinne
2/2/2021 11:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2021 11:38pm
This isn't a new thing. We get these threads every year.

SX should switch to the inflatable or hollow ones that are used in many international SX and AX races. But that wont happen cuz it costs money.

With that said. They need to figure out how to keep them in place better and the placement of them has to be better. The one that Jett landed on should not be there, it's 100% unnecessary at that spot. It could only harm a rider.

GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/2/2021 11:37pm Edited Date/Time 2/2/2021 11:40pm
I worked Supercross tracks back in the days when straw bales were still used. When they'd blow up (which they did frequently), they were a giant mess, and really slippery in the areas where they were scattered across the track.

Back then we also had a method of wrapping the streamers around the stakes, stapling it on both sides of the stake, and then using a box cutter to create a split. That way it would only drag a small section of them, rather than 100 feet or so.
devotid
Fantasy
367th
2/2/2021 11:46pm
GuyB wrote:
I worked Supercross tracks back in the days when straw bales were still used. When they'd blow up (which they did frequently), they were a giant...
I worked Supercross tracks back in the days when straw bales were still used. When they'd blow up (which they did frequently), they were a giant mess, and really slippery in the areas where they were scattered across the track.

Back then we also had a method of wrapping the streamers around the stakes, stapling it on both sides of the stake, and then using a box cutter to create a split. That way it would only drag a small section of them, rather than 100 feet or so.
But when the bales didnt get hit or damaged... the race promoter could sell them back to the farmers for $0.80 on a dollar. Basically they rent them for a small fee. I always thought that was a good deal.
ctbale
2/3/2021 12:14am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 12:15am
Op has a good point but missdirected. Wtf was that TB doing getting pushed into the inside line that took out Webb and freezy??? Then it was pulled back. I guess it keeps the riders on their toes..... Ok, where is the tough block going to be THIS lap? Haha!! What guidence does that track worker have to placement. And the 250 main start was f-ed up by shitty TB placement. The same main that omitted the white flags.
Crush
2/3/2021 12:31am
We fixed this in a thread last year haha.

But there is also a pretty easy answer to a lot of this. Be better and learn from mistakes. Like use more dirt, don't put them on landings, make landings slightly wider.... but it took them three years to get more nets... and tonight we saw a race clock ignored and the rulebook thrown out for LCQ qualification.... So. Good luck. Been a shitshow for years, always will be.
MasonMan
2/3/2021 1:06am
GuyB wrote:
I worked Supercross tracks back in the days when straw bales were still used. When they'd blow up (which they did frequently), they were a giant...

I get it, so why did the innovation stop at "Cutting the banner"? which was a bad Idea from the start ( Banners), Why did SX need to wrap foam with Advertisements that has caused numerous Riders their racing career rather then come up with something that does not hang onto the bike like a Banner or a wrap?
Has to be something better that riders can feel comfortable getting off track to avoid or gain control without having a "Wrap" take them out of contention.

MasonMan
2/3/2021 1:14am
Grizz wrote:
Yes landing on a hard hay bale sounds much better than a soft foam block.
"Hard"? you HerSIR need to get out of Cali
CPR
2/3/2021 1:28am
Crush wrote:
We fixed this in a thread last year haha. But there is also a pretty easy answer to a lot of this. Be better and learn...
We fixed this in a thread last year haha.

But there is also a pretty easy answer to a lot of this. Be better and learn from mistakes. Like use more dirt, don't put them on landings, make landings slightly wider.... but it took them three years to get more nets... and tonight we saw a race clock ignored and the rulebook thrown out for LCQ qualification.... So. Good luck. Been a shitshow for years, always will be.
Spot on Crush. Not enough dirt was clear to see in certain places; they tried to mask that with ill- placed tuff blocks, like the one Jett hit. I noticed it was removed for the rest of the night, funnily enough with no consequences. In other words, it wasn’t required in the first place.
The one Do landed on at the finish line also served absolutely no purpose and was actually inside an already marked outside track edge. When the inside corner block that Friese and Webb caught was changed, there were no further incidents.
It was almost like the track crew hadn’t done this before......
2/3/2021 1:46am Edited Date/Time 2/3/2021 1:59am
We have complained about tuff blocks for years and nothing has been done. They don't even put them in the way of a downed rider. Watching the gas gas rider wave is arms so he doesn't get hit was horrible to watch. In Europe they use small yellow poles to mark the track in areas where they don't put tuff blocks. I don't think hay bales are the way to go as it will make a mess when hit and there's an added fire risk
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/3/2021 3:30am
We have complained about tuff blocks for years and nothing has been done. They don't even put them in the way of a downed rider. Watching...
We have complained about tuff blocks for years and nothing has been done. They don't even put them in the way of a downed rider. Watching the gas gas rider wave is arms so he doesn't get hit was horrible to watch. In Europe they use small yellow poles to mark the track in areas where they don't put tuff blocks. I don't think hay bales are the way to go as it will make a mess when hit and there's an added fire risk
I believe you are referring to "Freckle" on the red Honda. Where's Ralph when you need him?
motomike137
2/3/2021 4:24am
Maybe just rethink the placement of some of the tough blocks? They obviously shouldn't be on jump landings, it appears that many places they could be scooted a foot or two to make the track wider and whatever that giant tapered thing was have the corner flagman make sure it is kept a couple feet from the inside rut and properly aligned.
2/3/2021 4:33am
I loved hay bales, I used to put a hale bale on every corner on my track, with a small American flag sticking up. I thought they looked cool when I would bust one up in a turn.
2/3/2021 4:50am
We have complained about tuff blocks for years and nothing has been done. They don't even put them in the way of a downed rider. Watching...
EZZA 95B wrote:
I believe you are referring to "Freckle" on the red Honda. Where's Ralph when you need him?
Sorry I was watching a bad stream though is was gas gas. I'm missing something with the commentary because it's really bad how much they miss this year
2/3/2021 6:58am
Lets put a wood stake in the straw bail too to hold it in place. Are you serious? Tough blocks are way better to hit than a straw bail. I've hit both and will take the tough block every time.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
2/3/2021 8:42am
Let's also not forget that a Tuff Block serves to separate two lanes of a SX track. Often times, the lanes are headed in different directions. It may be better to take out an out-of-control rider with a Tuff Black than to allow him to shoot into another lane of traffic.
2/3/2021 9:08am
RaceFan wrote:
Yep lol. They usually end up tangling one or two guys throughout a race day but as soon as one effects Jett’s race its time to burn the tough blocks.
Elbows
Fantasy
1171st
2/3/2021 2:04pm
How about soft foam boxes without a cover. Just have the logo printed on the foam?
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1154th
2/3/2021 5:04pm Edited Date/Time 2/4/2021 12:22am
Bayle landing on a bale... Should've bailed.

EngIceDave
2/3/2021 5:29pm
Because no one has ever hung a footpeg on a bale band
2/3/2021 5:47pm
RaceFan wrote:
Wilson and Craig are " so last week"!
2/3/2021 5:56pm
BobbyLight wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/02/03/476670/s1200_4521F3BE_BA7A_4841_9345_1F141B2095B6.jpg[/img]

Doug who?

yak651
Fantasy
214th
2/3/2021 6:29pm
They could till the hay into the dirt between races to improve the soil!!

Post a reply to: Bring Back Straw Bales

The Latest