Brian Kranz (Tomac’s former mechanic) is in major need…

ML512
10/1/2022 9:10am Edited Date/Time 10/7/2022 11:36am
Just saw this on Eli’s IG…

https://www.gofundme.com/f/brian-kranzs-medical-bills?member=22384831&u…

“ My name is Eli Tomac, I’m reaching out to the motocross community to ask for help for my buddy and longtime mechanic, Brian Kranz. Brian and I began working together in 2010. Brian was my mechanic for 11 years, we’re the second longest standing rider/mechanic relationship in the industry. Brian is the realest guy I know, he’s a true friend and would do anything for his family, friends and team. When Brian was my mechanic, I knew without a doubt that my bike was safe and ready to go. Brian took his job to heart and he dedicated everything to his role as my mechanic.

Now the one who always kept me safe and ready to race is in the fight of his life. On August 29, Brian noticed a small lump in his armpit, he pointed it out to his wife Abbey and they didn’t think much of it. Just days later, the lump nearly tripled in size and they knew something wasn’t right. Brian called his primary care physician and was able to get an appointment on September 9. Brian received a chest x-ray that was flagged for abnormalities, so he went in for a CT scan. When the results of the CT scan came back, the doctor told Brian to immediately find an oncologist and schedule a biopsy. The biopsy was on September 21, the next day, the doctor called and with urgency told Brian to immediately head to the emergency room. Brian and Abbey went to the ER and Brian was admitted, he’s been in the hospital since. Brian has been diagnosed with Tcell ALL – Acute Lymphoblastic Lymphoma. This is a rare, yet aggressive form of cancer that has taken a hold of Brian’s body. He has a lump in his armpit, one near his heart and one on his thyroid. Doctors have created an intensive chemotherapy regimen in effort to combat this cancer as quickly and aggressively as possible. Brian was admitted to the hospital on September 23 and began his chemotherapy treatments on September 27. He will have 4 weeks of the most intensive treatments in the hospital. When Brian is released, he will continue to receive treatment for 5 months that will be approximately 4 hours a day, 4 times a week. The road to recovery isn’t going to be easy, but if anyone is up for the fight, it’s Brian. The doctors have stated that if Brian survives treatment, there is a 70% cure rate. There isn’t anything that Brian wants more than to live out the rest of his life healthy while enjoying his awesome wife Abbey and three beautiful kids – Keira (9), Chloe (6) & Corbin (4).

As if the stress and anxiety of this current situation isn’t bad enough – there is added stress with regards to Brian’s insurance coverage. Brian does not have cancer treatment coverage, so every single penny spent on treatment, care, medications and more will be billed to the Kranz family for them to pay out of pocket. There’s no telling now exactly what the financial ramifications will be, but they’re expecting hundreds of thousands in medical bills. This is why I’m reaching out to you – our motocross community. Brian needs our help, we can’t let him face this alone. If you can, please consider donating towards Brian’s medical bills. I would love to see our community come together and help to ease the financial burden that he is feeling – let’s do this”
|
kage173
10/1/2022 9:18am
Holy crap that's scary
Magoofan
Shadow Glen (for those who remember), CA US
10/1/2022 9:28am
Damn... Sad

How in the hell does insurance coverage disallow cancer treatment coverage??? Freaking insurance companies....how easily they take your money and screw you when you need it.

Prayers for Brian and his family.

Let's go moto community!
aeffertz
10/1/2022 9:32am
Cancer sucks. Insurance sucks too, apparently. Get well soon, Kranz!
KONG
10/1/2022 9:55am
Truly hope he'll find all the resources to win the fight.

The Shop

10/1/2022 10:07am
Magoofan wrote:
Damn... :( How in the hell does insurance coverage disallow cancer treatment coverage??? Freaking insurance companies....how easily they take your money and screw you when you...
Damn... Sad

How in the hell does insurance coverage disallow cancer treatment coverage??? Freaking insurance companies....how easily they take your money and screw you when you need it.

Let's go moto community!
right? what is the point of insurance if it doesnt cover you when you get sick. this is crazy
__bgreene
10/1/2022 10:32am
You got this Brian 🙏 Stay Strong
Hman144
10/1/2022 10:32am
So let's pitch in and help, but take this as an alarm bell for our own coverages. Call your carrier. Make sure you're covered.
mx_phreek
10/1/2022 10:43am
Give him half of one of your bonus checks and job done on one fell swoop.
Mavetism
10/1/2022 10:47am
Cancer fucking sucks.. I hope everything goes well for him..
If I may ask, since I have no clue how it works out in the US, if you pay regularly for health insurance, what excactly do they cover for you, only a small percentage or?
Front242
10/1/2022 10:49am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2022 10:49am
Magoofan wrote:
Damn... :( How in the hell does insurance coverage disallow cancer treatment coverage??? Freaking insurance companies....how easily they take your money and screw you when you...
Damn... Sad

Let's go moto community!
USA USA USA

Tomac should fix that if he is a true friend.
Kelz87
10/1/2022 10:51am
Dang, that’s the same diagnosis as Destry Abbott had.
Brian can beat this 💪🏼
nytsmaC
10/1/2022 10:58am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2022 11:02am
Magoofan wrote:
Damn... Sad

Let's go moto community!
Front242 wrote:
USA USA USA

Tomac should fix that if he is a true friend.
It appears as though that is exactly what he is trying to do, no? Much respect to him for spearheading this campaign. This is what GFM type platforms should actually be used for, it’s just too bad that they skim as much as they do from a worthy cause like this. I’d much rather drop a check in the mail.
Shawn142
10/1/2022 11:00am
Mavetism wrote:
Cancer fucking sucks.. I hope everything goes well for him.. If I may ask, since I have no clue how it works out in the US...
If I may ask, since I have no clue how it works out in the US, if you pay regularly for health insurance, what excactly do they cover for you, only a small percentage or?
Most people have insurance through their employer so it really depends on the quality of provider they go with. You have little to no say in what that covers, and as you can imagine the quality of the plans vary dramatically. Most people would go the cheapest possible plan anyway to have the smallest bill.
bh84
10/1/2022 11:07am
Good god that is awful. This is the kind of thing that makes me feel extremely lucky to live in a country with government funded healthcare. You should never have to choose between your health and your financial security. Wishing nothing but the best for him.
DKmxFAN
10/1/2022 11:11am
Shitty news, I hope u beat this Brian. Good on you Eli for doing this as well.
10/1/2022 11:18am
Shawn142 wrote:
Most people have insurance through their employer so it really depends on the quality of provider they go with. You have little to no say in...
Most people have insurance through their employer so it really depends on the quality of provider they go with. You have little to no say in what that covers, and as you can imagine the quality of the plans vary dramatically. Most people would go the cheapest possible plan anyway to have the smallest bill.
Damn, that US system is so harsh when it comes to healthcare... Sounds so alien to us europeans that you would have to pay hundreds of thousands to get treatment for cancer. Your income tax is like super low then, basically zero? I don't know how your system works so I am interested to hear about it as well.

All the best to Brian Kranz, stay strong buddy. Love from Finland
ML512
10/1/2022 11:18am
mx_phreek wrote:
Give him half of one of your bonus checks and job done on one fell swoop.
Eli put in $10,000 to start this off and you never know what’s going on behind the scenes…. Don’t be that guy, would love to see the forum be better than Instagram’s comment section…
731chopper
10/1/2022 11:25am Edited Date/Time 10/1/2022 11:29am
My little sister had an aggressive form of cancer in 2019 that required two different types of chemo treatment, radiation and surgery. She is still with us, thankfully, but I believe the last total cost she told me was over $1 million.

Yes, it sucks that insurance doesn’t just cover everything but the issue is much more complicated than that. The drugs that are used are nsanely expensive, the equipment used is insanely expensive, the amount of doctors and nurses, their expenses, etc etc. The cost of healthcare in general is a very complicated problem.
Ozzy
10/1/2022 11:30am
DONATE!!👍🙏🙏
I had the Honor & Pleasure of working with Brian at YOT Yamaha of Troy.
Brian’s 1 of the best guys as I came to know him.
All these yrs later we’ve remained friends.
Every now & then we’ve rode MTB’s together as he has family where I live.
I remember the day he came to me & said he’d been offered the Mechanics Job at Factory Connection Honda.
As happy as I was for Brian, I immediately told him to “get on their bus when it pulled up”, I was sad due to the fact that I was loosing him.
Eli’s 100% correct, guys like Brian Kranz are rare in Life & especially in the work place.
As I grew as a Team Manager as well, I always used Brian as sort of an imaginary yard stick for Crew I would hire throughout my Career.
My Family’s sad to hear of this as many are as well.
We hope & pray Brian BEATS THIS!!!
Please DONATE whatever you can.
👍🙏🙏 DaveO
ToolMaker
10/1/2022 11:38am
Mavetism wrote:
Cancer fucking sucks.. I hope everything goes well for him.. If I may ask, since I have no clue how it works out in the US...
Brian was/is probably an independent contractor. Meaning that he is his own company that contracts with Eli for mechanic services at a specific $$ amount. He would then take care of his own insurance. Many people believe
they are young and healthy and buy only "catastrophic insurance" (think spend less money per month).
That means they pay if you are in the hospital, however most cancer treatments are not in the hospital so they are not covered. If he were an employee of Tomac, he "could get fired" and though Obama care purchase a new policy that covers his treatment but likely he was not an employee. If you get fired or change jobs they let you change insurance mid year. But not if you organize your own insurance.
Since the sign up period for the next year starts soon but does not take effect until the new year, and he needs treatment ASAP, he's stuck with what he has. This is all speculation, I have NO inside information that this is the case. This was only to address the question of how insurance works. I do know someone that had this exact same insurance dilemma so it is a real possibility.
TM
Joey_Bridges
10/1/2022 11:55am
Magoofan wrote:
Damn... Sad

Let's go moto community!
It's insane how much insurance DOES NOT cover when it comes to treating cancer.

There are financial assistance programs available direct from the drug companies.
I'm enrolled in one that saves me close to $100,000 a year.
That's just one script.
Then there are the meds needed just to deal with the side effects.

I seriously hope he can overcome this hideously unfair disease.
jtiger12
10/1/2022 12:18pm
Hman144 wrote:
So let's pitch in and help, but take this as an alarm bell for our own coverages. Call your carrier. Make sure you're covered.
Exactly what I just said to my wife. We will be checking coverage and donating once we get back home
swe292
10/1/2022 1:13pm
Donated. Cool to see almost 50k in just a few hours
OleTex
10/1/2022 1:37pm
Done. Brian will not fight alone.
Radical
10/1/2022 2:00pm
Donated. Will also be praying.

Brian, if you read this, ask your doctor about SRS Stereotactic Radio Surgery, and the fairly new drug Keytruda. They saved a close friend's life.
CDA331
10/1/2022 2:05pm
Thank God I have Christian healthcare ministries. I have been praying for Brian ever since I saw Eli’s Instagram post. Anyone wanting to know about CHM shoot me an email. Just tying to help. Thorracer5@hotmail.com
ToolMaker
10/1/2022 2:21pm Edited Date/Time 10/1/2022 2:29pm
Radical wrote:
Donated. Will also be praying. Brian, if you read this, ask your doctor about SRS Stereotactic Radio Surgery, and the fairly new drug Keytruda. They saved...

Brian, if you read this, ask your doctor about SRS Stereotactic Radio Surgery, and the fairly new drug Keytruda. They saved a close friend's life.
I believe keytruda is a solid tumor drug not a blood cancer drug.
Update, I did a quick search and did see some limited use in blood cancer.
TM
10/1/2022 4:02pm
Radical wrote:
Donated. Will also be praying. Brian, if you read this, ask your doctor about SRS Stereotactic Radio Surgery, and the fairly new drug Keytruda. They saved...

ToolMaker wrote:
I believe keytruda is a solid tumor drug not a blood cancer drug. Update, I did a quick search and did see some limited use in...
I believe keytruda is a solid tumor drug not a blood cancer drug.
Update, I did a quick search and did see some limited use in blood cancer.
TM
Keytruda or any of the other PD-1's or PD-L1's are not indicated for acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL). Other than chemo, the available treatments are TKI's or MAB's. I launched one of the TKI's and one of the MAB's for ALL a number of years ago.

The 5-year survival rate for ALL across all age groups is ~68%, but the older you are, the lower the expected survival rate.

You can't afford to get proper treatment for cancer in the US without excellent health insurance coverage. National health insurance like the rest of the developed world already has, is now needed in the US more than ever.

Post a reply to: Brian Kranz (Tomac’s former mechanic) is in major need…

The Latest

The Latest