Brian Deegan on The Whiskey Throttle Show- Season 3, ep. 1

dpingree101
Edited Date/Time 1/29/2021 11:04am
With guest co-host, Kenny Watson. Great stories between these two friends. Brian’s evolution is pretty incredible; Definitely have a newfound respect for him as a competitor, a dad, and a man.

|
MDana87
1/18/2021 6:04am
I haven't listened to all of the WT pods, but most. This was easily one of the best to date.

I'd agree with your comment 100%: "Definitely have a newfound respect for him as a competitor, a dad, and a man.". Great job. I dig Watson's stories too.
Holigan
1/18/2021 6:46am
I love these WTS podcasts. So much you never knew about all these guys when they were racing.

Kenny had some good stories Brian didn't remember or chose not to remember. We need a "Whiskey Throttle Show After Dark" for the rest of the stories.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
1/18/2021 6:57am
“We’ll race Ryder! We’ll get there, we’ll race em when it’s time!” Thanks wedge, this is all I hear hahaha

The Shop

BIGRIGGIN
1/18/2021 8:19am
Great Job Pingree - really appreciate your efforts on this endeavor to story talk with all these legends. Love it.
Wandell
1/18/2021 9:38am
Watching it now. Another great show. Honestly, I've never been a big Deegan fan but this show is changing my opinion. Really enjoying Watson. I was able to meet him once at a local track when he was involved with the H&H team and he seems to be a great guy.
JB500
1/18/2021 10:03am
As always, great show.

Look at the above photo of the AMA official with the checkered flag...the dude seems to be hovering in mid air. Nice form.
AH387
1/18/2021 12:02pm
Great episode. I always liked Deegan and it was a fun listen, for sure.
diz330
1/18/2021 12:49pm
pretty impressive business sense to start the metal mulisha LLC. He must hold the record for most money made post racing career with just 1 win to his name. Gotta have more $ in the bank than Mgrath or any other rider from the 90's. His East coast home is to die for.
1/18/2021 12:57pm
diz330 wrote:
pretty impressive business sense to start the metal mulisha LLC. He must hold the record for most money made post racing career with just 1 win...
pretty impressive business sense to start the metal mulisha LLC. He must hold the record for most money made post racing career with just 1 win to his name. Gotta have more $ in the bank than Mgrath or any other rider from the 90's. His East coast home is to die for.
Carey Hart (including spouse) $230,000,000.00
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
1/18/2021 2:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/18/2021 2:02pm
diz330 wrote:
pretty impressive business sense to start the metal mulisha LLC. He must hold the record for most money made post racing career with just 1 win...
And for the hell of it, people involved in the sport:

Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull) $28.1 Billion
Russell Weiner (Rockstar Energy) $3.7 Billion
Rodney Sacks (Monster Energy) $2.9 Billion
Hilton Schlosberg (Monster Energy) $2.8 Billion
Jim Jannard (Oakley founder) $2.8 Billion
Jimmy John Liautaud (Jimmy John's) $1.7 Billion
Kenneth Feld (Feld Entertainment) $1.4 Billion
Stefan Pierer (KTM) $1.3 Billion
face biter
1/18/2021 3:50pm
diz330 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
And for the hell of it, people involved in the sport: Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull) $28.1 Billion Russell Weiner (Rockstar Energy) $3.7 Billion Rodney Sacks (Monster...

Also:
Iron Balls Mcginty $1.09
Talisker
1/18/2021 3:53pm
Just finished listening. Great job, good podcast. Watson always cracks me up.
orange_44
1/18/2021 4:25pm
Kenny’s awesome. Good dude that’s been there, done it and seen a lot of shit
G-man
1/18/2021 4:43pm
Add me to the list of I was not a real Brian Deegan fan but respected what he did.

After watching that interview, I was very impressed with Brian and how he has turned his life around 180 and is a great father to his kids and a very successful businessman.

Great interview Ping. 👍
diz330
1/18/2021 4:46pm
diz330 wrote:
Marrying into money doesn't count. He is self made %100.
G-man
1/18/2021 4:48pm
I was at Washougal one year that Brian raced this bike.
He had strippers in the pits with high platform boots.
I thought it was pretty funny but maybe if I was a parent with kids not so much.

Just like Frank Sinatra.
"I did it My way...." Cheerful

Flatliner
1/18/2021 4:59pm
diz330 wrote:
Cmon now lol more than MC?!

He did a heck of a job marketing his brand while linkogle dealt with some demons. But Brian kept the mulisha 50/50.
Zaugg
1/18/2021 6:13pm
As always, great job with the interview Ping. (I've been an avid listener even on episodes I didn't think I'd like and found myself glad I did.)

Let's chat about the new intro and commercials. If I might offer some suggestions:

(Keep in mind I don't watch the show, I listen to it only.)

1. I understand the need for advertising however, what made your show so unique was how you incorporated the sponsor read at the beginning with that typical Pingree wit and delivery. (Dopn't be a dick to your feet - Loved That!!!) It also makes it hard to skip over because you always seem to make the sponsor read interesting. (Now you sound a little like everybody else.)
Solution- keep the old intro strategy and do your sponsor read like years past so people don't want to skip to the content. (Unless you have data to support the change - I wouldn't have changed it.)

2. I don't know who your new booming southern announcer VO guy is but I would have only used him to introduce the show and VO a couple ads. He seems to be dominating your VO work. (This is just opinion so take it with a grain of salt.) I think when the host is participating in the ad VO, it adds more authenticity to your connection with those brands.
Solution - You want to keep people engaged during the ad break, be more engaging. That's what sponsors want...they don't want people skipping to the content.

3. Keep asking questions the way you ask them...you do an awesome job as an interviewer. You genuinely sound interested in the story. Keep doing that. Unlike some other podcasts where the host(s) might sound like a fanboy or a know-it-all - you provide a different perspective and approach. Very well done. (I also like that you told Watson to shut up because he started monopolizing the interview. I think he forgot this was about Brian and not about him. HAHA)

You can take this input or leave it... I wanted to offer this up because with GL not being a regular, a new producer, and a revolving door of guest hosts, I think you're going to find it hard to maintain the spirit of the show if you change too much too soon.

Food for thought. Keep up the good work.

dpingree101
1/18/2021 8:06pm
Zaugg wrote:
As always, great job with the interview Ping. (I've been an avid listener even on episodes I didn't think I'd like and found myself glad I...
As always, great job with the interview Ping. (I've been an avid listener even on episodes I didn't think I'd like and found myself glad I did.)

Let's chat about the new intro and commercials. If I might offer some suggestions:

(Keep in mind I don't watch the show, I listen to it only.)

1. I understand the need for advertising however, what made your show so unique was how you incorporated the sponsor read at the beginning with that typical Pingree wit and delivery. (Dopn't be a dick to your feet - Loved That!!!) It also makes it hard to skip over because you always seem to make the sponsor read interesting. (Now you sound a little like everybody else.)
Solution- keep the old intro strategy and do your sponsor read like years past so people don't want to skip to the content. (Unless you have data to support the change - I wouldn't have changed it.)

2. I don't know who your new booming southern announcer VO guy is but I would have only used him to introduce the show and VO a couple ads. He seems to be dominating your VO work. (This is just opinion so take it with a grain of salt.) I think when the host is participating in the ad VO, it adds more authenticity to your connection with those brands.
Solution - You want to keep people engaged during the ad break, be more engaging. That's what sponsors want...they don't want people skipping to the content.

3. Keep asking questions the way you ask them...you do an awesome job as an interviewer. You genuinely sound interested in the story. Keep doing that. Unlike some other podcasts where the host(s) might sound like a fanboy or a know-it-all - you provide a different perspective and approach. Very well done. (I also like that you told Watson to shut up because he started monopolizing the interview. I think he forgot this was about Brian and not about him. HAHA)

You can take this input or leave it... I wanted to offer this up because with GL not being a regular, a new producer, and a revolving door of guest hosts, I think you're going to find it hard to maintain the spirit of the show if you change too much too soon.

Food for thought. Keep up the good work.

Thanks for the feedback! There will be lots of tweaks for a few shows until we get it right. I certainly listen to the folks watching/listening, so please keep the constructive thoughts coming. We’ll keep working on getting better!
AxlBundy
1/19/2021 4:49am
Good show. Thought you did a great job digging out Brian Deegan from the character that Brian Deegan has portrayed.

Really finding myself watching the interviews instead of the audio version. Love the context of seeing the peoples expressions in addition. Its cool when you pull up the pictures as well to the story
yak651
Fantasy
214th
1/19/2021 10:26am
Brian's very well spoken, not anyone could've did what he did. Glad it paid off for him.
1/19/2021 1:42pm
Miss GL, but hey I guess that can’t be helped right now.

I’m not a fan of the new husky voiced advertisement guy- it goes on too long and is too monotone. I wasn’t listening after a while. Then to find that you use him to introduce the star guest.. go back to your read-out of the adverts, again, GL’s “ don’t be a dick to your feet” & “trust me on this” was great.

I can’t listen to that monotone guy for that length of time every show- I’ll skip right to the content.

If Kenny could just hold back 50% of the swearing that’d be good. I’m not averse to swearing, but if I’m playing the audio in my shop and a customer and family comes in, I need to know the swearing isn’t going to be excessive. Part of this show, every 2nd word was f*ck!

I have been a staunch supporter of WTS and still am. I’m so glad you’re continuing.

Brian... he wasn’t a top TOP guy in moto and therefore didn’t flag on my radar enough for me to be a fan. (That said, I was neither a hater)
And freestyle wasn’t my thing, but I listened and in the end when it finished up, I’m now a BD fan!
Good work Brian, David, Kenny.👍🏻
1/20/2021 11:16pm
I look at Brian as a 125 rider, a lot of people wanted to see him kick some more ass. But where happy he got that 1 win. Remember Brian wearing a open face pudding helmet in 95, practice at a national. Haha. Running a stock cylinder on his 96 cr125, what chaparral couldn’t afford a 250 port job. Using a German helmet for the image of metal mellisha is genius. 7 yr old boy wants a toy, mom looks that’s perfect. A military guy doll riding a dirt bike, cost under 10 bucks mom can afford it. My Dutch grandpa was a pow in a nazi work camp, hogans heroes had the same image. Gramps was more afraid of my Dad a farmer, can,t be afraid of a farmer image right. So it doesn’t affend me at all. Brian was a pretty good truck racer, crandon, bark river, etc tracks. Not to nit pick, but cover more details of the beginning when the riders started winning and or 1st year pro. Just like a band, the beginning is always the best story.
stangkag
1/21/2021 6:18am
diz330 wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
And for the hell of it, people involved in the sport: Dietrich Mateschitz (Red Bull) $28.1 Billion Russell Weiner (Rockstar Energy) $3.7 Billion Rodney Sacks (Monster...

Kyle Glassman - $437.28

https://youtu.be/zMRrNY0pxfM
MX114
1/21/2021 7:03am Edited Date/Time 1/21/2021 7:04am
Deegan will always be one of the coolest pro riders I’ve ever met. Despite the bad boy image back in the day he couldn’t of been any nicer to a young moto rat like myself. RM Cup Cooperland OK 1997. After this pic (which Ronnie Tichenor took) Brian hooked me up with a bunch of Moto XXX stickers and asked about my motos that weekend. Super down to earth
Stevo683
1/21/2021 12:58pm
Good show. I would like my 10 year old to watch it with me, But with all the F bombs, not going to do it. We all talk about appealing to the new viewer and growing the "Family" sport, but most parents would not allow their kids to listen to all the swearing. Even at the track when I am there with my son, and some kid or dad comes over to talk and they start cussing like a sailor..smh.. not house broken..
mx_563
1/21/2021 1:54pm
Can anyone explain to me where that silly pulpmx "drop" comes from...it's supposedly Deegan (someone pretending to be Deegan) talking about Ryder D.

Matthes used the drop a lot on the Nicolletti show few weeks back. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

Post a reply to: Brian Deegan on The Whiskey Throttle Show- Season 3, ep. 1

The Latest