Breathing while riding? MX Trainers advice

kkawboy14
Keep mouth closed? And breath thru the nose only?

Breath inthe nose out out of the mouth?

Breath in and out of the mouth?

does it matter at all which way you breath or what do you recommend?
|
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
7/18/2017 7:59am
I've always found that it's better to breathe through the nose. Breathing through the mouth usually ends up with my mouth being dry and full of dust and a need for water asap. That's my experience though. Easier to calm myself down and slow my heart rate breathing through my nose also
kkawboy14
7/18/2017 8:11am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 8:12am
In through nose, out through mouth.

Science says so, anyhow.
That's what some guys were saying in another thread but I was always taught in riding schools to always keep my mouth shut.

I would guess if Pros are wearing mouth guards it helps them not breath thru their mouth.

Thumper243
7/18/2017 8:26am
Do you guys really think a guy like Stewart or Roczen is thinking about breathing when doing a 3-4-4-3 or something and getting bucked off?

I'm pretty sure that gulp of air you take right before slamming the ground is a natural response also.

I mean Timmy Ferry used to think about if he had enough money to quit this sport.
He was a pretty damn good racer. Summercross Champ. Beat McGrath.

We hear this every Monday night almost.

The Shop

harescrambled
Fantasy
1942nd
7/18/2017 8:30am
I keep my mouth closed as much as possible...nothing worse than inhaling a bug, hacking and trying not to puke while swapping out trying to get slowed down for a corner Woohoo
Swann
7/18/2017 8:37am Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 8:37am
Breathing is breathing dude. You can get a larger volume of air through your mouth. If you're not breathing [properly] then you'll just need to think about it more while riding until you do. Nose, mouth, ass, it's all air.
bvm111
7/18/2017 8:38am
Thumper243 wrote:
Do you guys really think a guy like Stewart or Roczen is thinking about breathing when doing a 3-4-4-3 or something and getting bucked off? I'm...
Do you guys really think a guy like Stewart or Roczen is thinking about breathing when doing a 3-4-4-3 or something and getting bucked off?

I'm pretty sure that gulp of air you take right before slamming the ground is a natural response also.

I mean Timmy Ferry used to think about if he had enough money to quit this sport.

BlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlinkBlink

what?
TeamGreen
7/18/2017 9:29am
Breathing is an important issue with a lot of riders. Have you noticed all the nose-strips and magnets...etc.?

Often when you're riding "tight" it can involve issues like not breathing enough. Have you ever noticed yourself holding your breath when you do that "panicky grab" of the handlebars when you swap or get out of shape? Often, when you're riding a really difficult section, you may find yourself NOT breathing and actullay HOLDING YOUR BREATH. I call that "Instant Tightness".

How you breathe is something that you need to get figured out; but, I sure do see A LOT of Pro's using various "nose strips" and the like to improve their breathing...thru their nose. As others have said, breathing thru your mouth is gonna taste pretty crappy...or nasty...pretty quickly.
Swann
7/18/2017 9:49am
TeamGreen wrote:
Breathing is an important issue with a lot of riders. Have you noticed all the nose-strips and magnets...etc.? Often when you're riding "tight" it can involve...
Breathing is an important issue with a lot of riders. Have you noticed all the nose-strips and magnets...etc.?

Often when you're riding "tight" it can involve issues like not breathing enough. Have you ever noticed yourself holding your breath when you do that "panicky grab" of the handlebars when you swap or get out of shape? Often, when you're riding a really difficult section, you may find yourself NOT breathing and actullay HOLDING YOUR BREATH. I call that "Instant Tightness".

How you breathe is something that you need to get figured out; but, I sure do see A LOT of Pro's using various "nose strips" and the like to improve their breathing...thru their nose. As others have said, breathing thru your mouth is gonna taste pretty crappy...or nasty...pretty quickly.
This was actually a big part of my problem off-road. Nose strips do help a lot because, contrary to my nonsense above, inhaling through your nose is preferable. Built in air filters and such.

I started doing breathing exercises before the bomb just to get my brain thinking about breathing.
NorCal 50+
7/18/2017 10:34am
Breathing while riding....interesting. I will have to try this some time.
mx510
Fantasy
1744th
7/18/2017 11:11am
Not breathing properly always leads to arm pump for me. A really good racer friend of mine who did Worcs, mx and sx told me to focus on breathing in through the nose out through the mouth as you enter turns. Make it habit in turns to take deep breaths.
kkawboy14
7/18/2017 11:29am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Breathing while riding....interesting. I will have to try this some time.
You realize you are the only guy in this thread that is voting for not breathing while riding?
kkawboy14
7/18/2017 11:32am
mx510 wrote:
Not breathing properly always leads to arm pump for me. A really good racer friend of mine who did Worcs, mx and sx told me to...
Not breathing properly always leads to arm pump for me. A really good racer friend of mine who did Worcs, mx and sx told me to focus on breathing in through the nose out through the mouth as you enter turns. Make it habit in turns to take deep breaths.
I started golfing a couple years ago......breathing out the whole time your swinging back and forwards made a HUGE difference in how relaxed I was when I hit the ball. After I figured that out I can golf 78 to 85...........on the front 9 Smile
419250f
7/18/2017 12:17pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 12:19pm
Is it possible to exclusively breath through your nose when your heart is 180bpm?
I know Kailub Russell posted his heart rate for 3hrs and was up in that range.
Markee
Fantasy
1890th
7/18/2017 12:32pm
419250f wrote:
Is it possible to exclusively breath through your nose when your heart is 180bpm? I know Kailub Russell posted his heart rate for 3hrs and was...
Is it possible to exclusively breath through your nose when your heart is 180bpm?
That's insane (for me).
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
7/18/2017 12:37pm
When I'm riding hard (which is always, even though I'm not that fast yet) sometimes I just can't get enough air through my nose, so I breathe through both. When your sinuses aren't 100% clear it takes far more effort to breathe only through your nose, plus you get less air. Same with running, mountain biking, and basketball for that matter. I don't get the point of it. I guess once again I disagree with the "experts". Call it arrogance or stubbornness, but usually I've ended up right, and the experts eventually changed their minds.
Turbojez
7/18/2017 1:15pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 1:15pm
419250f wrote:
Is it possible to exclusively breath through your nose when your heart is 180bpm? I know Kailub Russell posted his heart rate for 3hrs and was...
I ride with a HRM and during the motos never go below 180. There is no fucking way my nose could let enough air into my lungs at that intensity. Also I have something fucked up with my sinus (not grown enough I believe) which might be one of the reasons I choose to suck some air in through my mouth, at the expense of eating a fly every now and then. Well, that's free protein, right?
7/18/2017 1:31pm
Thumper243 wrote:
Do you guys really think a guy like Stewart or Roczen is thinking about breathing when doing a 3-4-4-3 or something and getting bucked off? I'm...

Wrong.
kkawboy14
7/18/2017 1:45pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Wrong.
Thumper totally missed all the mechanics and Big James writing "breath" on their pit boards
Elite
7/18/2017 1:52pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Are you drunk ?
7/18/2017 1:53pm
As a few guys said above...just make sure you ARE breathing regularly and not ever holding your breath. That happens more than you might think.
When I start "hitting the wall" in the woods, I find that I am staring at my front fender, holding my breath and gripping the bike too tightly.

Thumper243
7/18/2017 3:13pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Wrong.
kkawboy14 wrote:
Thumper totally missed all the mechanics and Big James writing "breath" on their pit boards
Do you think Breathe means to think more about how to breathe or just relax?
Do you think they also think about gas/clutch/brakes/ or the gear they are in?

Never. It's a natural reflex.

I find it funny that not a single animal in the wild running for their lives and something to eat(not a plastic trophy) is ever thinking about how they should be breathing.

Would you like to buy some nose magnets? You need these to survive and not starve.

Thumper243
7/18/2017 3:18pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Elite wrote:
Are you drunk ?
No, but you are a great consumer. Marketing execs love people who sell themselves on bullshit.

I'm pretty sure when James and RC were trying to kill each other, the last thing on their minds was "In through nose, out through mouth"

snackfedbear
7/18/2017 3:23pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 3:23pm
Thumper243 wrote:
No, but you are a great consumer. Marketing execs love people who sell themselves on bullshit. I'm pretty sure when James and RC were trying to...
No, but you are a great consumer. Marketing execs love people who sell themselves on bullshit.

I'm pretty sure when James and RC were trying to kill each other, the last thing on their minds was "In through nose, out through mouth"

Bro. Do you even breathe?
Seriously though have you ever ridden Glen Helen on a Thursday?
7/18/2017 3:28pm
Thumper243 wrote:

Elite wrote:
Are you drunk ?
Thumper243 wrote:
No, but you are a great consumer. Marketing execs love people who sell themselves on bullshit. I'm pretty sure when James and RC were trying to...

I can guarantee you that RC practiced breathing techniques when training so that it would be habit in races. He did every other damn thing to be competitive.

Breathing technique is important. And all elite athletes work on it at some point.
7/18/2017 3:28pm
As a few guys said above...just make sure you ARE breathing regularly and not ever holding your breath. That happens more than you might think. When...
As a few guys said above...just make sure you ARE breathing regularly and not ever holding your breath. That happens more than you might think.
When I start "hitting the wall" in the woods, I find that I am staring at my front fender, holding my breath and gripping the bike too tightly.

This.
Thumper243
7/18/2017 4:57pm Edited Date/Time 7/18/2017 4:57pm
Elite wrote:
Are you drunk ?
Thumper243 wrote:

I can guarantee you that RC practiced breathing techniques when training so that it would be habit in races. He did every other damn thing to...
I can guarantee you that RC practiced breathing techniques when training so that it would be habit in races. He did every other damn thing to be competitive.

Breathing technique is important. And all elite athletes work on it at some point.
You proved my point. Thanks.

Post a reply to: Breathing while riding? MX Trainers advice

The Latest