Breathing in cold, dry weather.

Nielsen277
Edited Date/Time 2/14/2016 11:53am
Recently started riding again after 4-5 years away from the sport! My first couple of rides back were f***ing awesome. I'm in the best shape of my life and the only thing that kept me from riding 20+ minutes at a time were my hands! Last weekend I made it out to the track and it was in the upper 40s with 0% humidity and I was struggling to breathe pretty badly. I wasn't necessarily out of breath; I just couldn't take the deep breaths that I needed and my riding time was cut in half. My lungs/chest felt very "tight" if that makes any sense. Is this kind of an endurance issue? It's been so long since I rode that I can't remember if I struggled with this in the past. I don't have asthma or anything as far as I know. Is there anything I can take OTC to help me get through the day? Or is it something that will get better with time?
|
ns503
2/12/2016 4:15am
Upper 40s is a long way from 'cold'. It's -12c/10f here right now, and this is a mild winter.

I think it's an endurance thing, should improve with more exercise. Assuming there really is no asthma type thing going on or other underlying issues.

(I am no way in heck anything close to a Doctor...)
Stephon
2/12/2016 4:23am
What about those nose strips that some athletes wear? Aren't they suppose to help get more air into the lungs.

(I AM in EVERY way VERY close to a being a Doctor...) I missed a few classes here and there, didn't get the degree, hate blood, wait tables as a side gig and am a regular on the internet...you should trust me...totally.
Bultaco
2/12/2016 4:29am
I find as I get older that it takes me longer and longer to warm up. Until then, heart rate is high, breathing constricted similar to what you describe. Now days with anything (running, swim team, riding) that involves cardio it takes me a half hour to really start feeling good.

As for the cold air, I don't think that is your problem. In my mountaineering days we would routinely be breathing hard with a high heart rate for hours and hours each day in temps well below 0f without ill affect. I think your deal is just getting your body/and cardio warmed up.
hillbilly
2/12/2016 4:54am
I always took myself to the redzone on a mt bike riding around the pit before getting on the bike.

Even on practice days here at my house i did it the same way. This way i always felt the same when i fired up and went to the gate.

The Shop

newmann
2/12/2016 6:12am
Stephon wrote:
What about those nose strips that some athletes wear? Aren't they suppose to help get more air into the lungs. (I AM in EVERY way VERY...
What about those nose strips that some athletes wear? Aren't they suppose to help get more air into the lungs.

(I AM in EVERY way VERY close to a being a Doctor...) I missed a few classes here and there, didn't get the degree, hate blood, wait tables as a side gig and am a regular on the internet...you should trust me...totally.
But you care Stephon.Smile

For those who say 40 isn't cold....well when it is usually 100 plus degrees with 277% humidity, a 40 degree no humidity day will wreck you around here. I feel your pain Neilsen! How old are you?
KMC440
2/12/2016 6:32am
On those colder days try a bandana to cover your nose and mouth getting a little warmer air in the lungs. I'm not a doc but figuring the cold air is irritating the lung tissue causing protective fluid to build in the sacs making it feel like pneumonia and that tightening sensation.

Just a thought. And you'll look like a moto bandito!
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/12/2016 6:33am
Nasal breathing will help a bit. Your sinuses have a lot of surfaces and little hairs that serve to warm and put moisture into the air you breathe. Your lungs are still related to the gills that they evolved from in that the require water to absorb oxygen.
Gringoe
2/12/2016 6:33am
hillbilly wrote:
I always took myself to the redzone on a mt bike riding around the pit before getting on the bike. Even on practice days here at...
I always took myself to the redzone on a mt bike riding around the pit before getting on the bike.

Even on practice days here at my house i did it the same way. This way i always felt the same when i fired up and went to the gate.
You know your shit hillbilly
disbanded
Fantasy
1734th
2/12/2016 6:54am
Stephon wrote:
What about those nose strips that some athletes wear? Aren't they suppose to help get more air into the lungs. (I AM in EVERY way VERY...

But do you know anything about radiology?
newmann
2/12/2016 7:08am
hillbilly wrote:
I always took myself to the redzone on a mt bike riding around the pit before getting on the bike. Even on practice days here at...

Being warmed up and ready also cuts down on arm pump. Worked wonders for my slow ass.
Panic_Rev
2/12/2016 7:22am
KMC440 wrote:
On those colder days try a bandana to cover your nose and mouth getting a little warmer air in the lungs. I'm not a doc but...
On those colder days try a bandana to cover your nose and mouth getting a little warmer air in the lungs. I'm not a doc but figuring the cold air is irritating the lung tissue causing protective fluid to build in the sacs making it feel like pneumonia and that tightening sensation.

^ This

My weather is about the same as the OP described. When I mountain bike in this weather I wear a neck gaiter that can be worn different ways (just around the neck, over the mouth, or wrapped to cover head, mouth, and neck). I have found that breathing in the warm air helps the lungs. I would recommend going to your local cycling shop and buying one there as the material seems to be better and thinner then the ones at big box athletic stores. With the thinner material it can also be worn under the helmet and not compromise fit.
Uncle Tony
2/12/2016 7:39am
Here's what I used to do when I ran in cold weather
jeffro503
2/12/2016 8:29am
I'm the same as what the OP stated. If it's cold and dry , I struggle with breathing as well. If it's moist out , I don't struggle near as bad. Two years ago I rode all day in 35-40 degree temps and it was super dry out , and the next day my lungs felt burnt. Got sick after that and it took me damn near two weeks for my lungs to clear out.
Uncle Tony
2/12/2016 9:25am
Ok here's what I use to do when it got cold, don't laugh take a clear brand new fuel line, length varies as to how tall you are run it in your pants by your nads but not where it interferes with anything run it up your body under your clothes so the other end can be put in your mouth, it kinda acts like a humidifier, same thing use to happen to me when it got cold my chest would tighten up this seemed to help me, although I never tried it when riding only when running in very cold weather good luck

BTW 40 degrees is not cold, tomorrow 9 degrees in NYC area

bh84
Fantasy
1830th
2/12/2016 9:41am
Go play some hockey, gets the breathing going more than MX if you're skating hard, its great cardio. ANd if you really feel like a workout, strap on the pads. Holy hell thats a full body workout, looks easy, but its one of the most difficult positions in sport, and it gets the cardio going in cold weather
BobPA
2/12/2016 9:47am
KMC440 wrote:
On those colder days try a bandana to cover your nose and mouth getting a little warmer air in the lungs. I'm not a doc but...

This.

When I lived in CO and would go for a run I would do this and it helped a ton
Stephon
2/12/2016 11:28am
Stephon wrote:

disbanded wrote:
But do you know anything about radiology?
Radiology?

Actually, that's my specialty. I don't have all the paperwork, ya know, from the school, but my price structure enables me to see more patients at an affordable rate. Cash only...it's faster.
Olson
2/12/2016 11:31am
I've done a fair share of winter sports. The one thing that comes to mind is playing icehockey indoors during the summer. Used to have a hard time getting used to breathing in the cold. But it always went away after a while.
ttugrad1793
2/12/2016 2:03pm
Nasal breathing will help a bit. Your sinuses have a lot of surfaces and little hairs that serve to warm and put moisture into the air...
Nasal breathing will help a bit. Your sinuses have a lot of surfaces and little hairs that serve to warm and put moisture into the air you breathe. Your lungs are still related to the gills that they evolved from in that the require water to absorb oxygen.
Ummmm....we evolved lungs from gills? WTH are you even talking about? Please show me definitive proof that we once had gills. I'll be grabbing my popcorn and anxiously awaiting your reply.
jeffro503
2/12/2016 2:18pm
Nasal breathing will help a bit. Your sinuses have a lot of surfaces and little hairs that serve to warm and put moisture into the air...
Ummmm....we evolved lungs from gills? WTH are you even talking about? Please show me definitive proof that we once had gills. I'll be grabbing my popcorn...
Ummmm....we evolved lungs from gills? WTH are you even talking about? Please show me definitive proof that we once had gills. I'll be grabbing my popcorn and anxiously awaiting your reply.
You must go to church huh? Don't believe in the whole evolution thing?

Don't even ask that question on a fucking moto board. It'll turn this thread into a pile of shit....then get flushed.
ttugrad1793
2/12/2016 2:23pm
Ummmm....we evolved lungs from gills? WTH are you even talking about? Please show me definitive proof that we once had gills. I'll be grabbing my popcorn...
jeffro503 wrote:
You must go to church huh? Don't believe in the whole evolution thing? Don't even ask that question on a fucking moto board. It'll turn this...

Don't even ask that question on a fucking moto board. It'll turn this thread into a pile of shit....then get flushed.
Like I said, I'll be waiting for TheGetFresh to answer my question. Moto-board or not, that was one of the most unbelievably stupid things I've read on the interwebs in a while and had to comment (coming from a guy that rarely comments).
jeffro503
2/12/2016 2:27pm
jeffro503 wrote:
You must go to church huh? Don't believe in the whole evolution thing? Don't even ask that question on a fucking moto board. It'll turn this...

Like I said, I'll be waiting for TheGetFresh to answer my question. Moto-board or not, that was one of the most unbelievably stupid things I've read...
Like I said, I'll be waiting for TheGetFresh to answer my question. Moto-board or not, that was one of the most unbelievably stupid things I've read on the interwebs in a while and had to comment (coming from a guy that rarely comments).
Can you prove we didn't come from the ocean? Im a firm believer in evolution. I don't believe Adam and eve walked the earth with a T-rex or that the planet and the life on it are 6000yrs old. Anyone that follows science knows this. So if anything , i tend to lean towards his observation.
Uncle Tony
2/12/2016 2:30pm
Why does it have to come to this? Breathing issues in the winter is a common problem for lots of people
Nielsen277
2/12/2016 6:55pm
Hahahahaha yes I understand that 40 is not cold to you guys, but it's in the upper 80s and humid as hell for 8 months out of the year here. We get maybe two months of temps under 50.
hillbilly
2/12/2016 7:45pm
hillbilly wrote:

newmann wrote:
Being warmed up and ready also cuts down on arm pump. Worked wonders for my slow ass.
Yep, i always did the same routine,figured it out the the mid 80s when i got serious. Carried a piece of carpet to stretch on and use to get dressed.

If i just hopped on and went to moto I'd go into the redzone in 5 minutes.

And,if your stretched out and warmed up a hard crash is way more survivable.
munsch121
2/12/2016 9:18pm
Nielsen277 wrote:
Recently started riding again after 4-5 years away from the sport! My first couple of rides back were f***ing awesome. I'm in the best shape of...
Recently started riding again after 4-5 years away from the sport! My first couple of rides back were f***ing awesome. I'm in the best shape of my life and the only thing that kept me from riding 20+ minutes at a time were my hands! Last weekend I made it out to the track and it was in the upper 40s with 0% humidity and I was struggling to breathe pretty badly. I wasn't necessarily out of breath; I just couldn't take the deep breaths that I needed and my riding time was cut in half. My lungs/chest felt very "tight" if that makes any sense. Is this kind of an endurance issue? It's been so long since I rode that I can't remember if I struggled with this in the past. I don't have asthma or anything as far as I know. Is there anything I can take OTC to help me get through the day? Or is it something that will get better with time?
wear a face mask, something that covers your nose and mouth. I have done many laps in sub 25 degree weather and the best thing that worked for me was simply wearing a bandana wrapped around my nose and mouth. Also taping up your chin bar vent.
2/12/2016 9:57pm
dyspnea, pain with breathing in extreme heat/cold or with exertion......

I get the same way in the cold, but I do have asthma.

do you smoke?
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2551st
2/12/2016 10:27pm
More accurately they evolved from gas carrying sac organs in fish that would extract oxygen from water through gills and transfer it into the air bag. Not directly from gills, so I guess you're right. Hope the popcorn was good.

Post a reply to: Breathing in cold, dry weather.

The Latest