Breaking in a bike

sambiso
Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 5:34pm
So I bought my first bike the other day! I fired it up at the shop and warmed it up. Then drove home 30 minutes with it in the back of my van! Then i fired it up and it didnt need the choke or anything and must have still been warm. I then proceded to ride and stall, rode and stall over and over for 20 minutes and let it cool and then repeated this process. Does it matter that i stalled it when braking it in? Will i have done damage? Is the point of a brake in to just keep the rpms low for the first few hours or does it have to be done in a very specific way? Im really worried ive damaged my bike! Ive never really ridden a dirt bike hence the stalling! Thanks. Any help would be Appreciated massively!
|
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/16/2017 12:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 12:22pm
As long as you didnt kick it from above TDC...
sambiso
6/16/2017 12:23pm
early wrote:
Why is that?
Tracktor
6/16/2017 12:25pm
Break'em in like you race them. One medium moto then give'er the onion.......

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/16/2017 12:26pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 12:28pm
early wrote:
Noticed is location. Same as Tomoss GBR. Same guy?
early
Fantasy
2231st
6/16/2017 12:26pm
early wrote:
sambiso wrote:
Why is that?
Nevermind dont worry about it. Youre fine.
c0ncEpT
6/16/2017 12:29pm
I just ride mine at the track like I normally would.

1st lap is an easy lap after that just hammer down.

Change the oil when I get home. Done
sambiso
6/16/2017 12:44pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
I just ride mine at the track like I normally would. 1st lap is an easy lap after that just hammer down. Change the oil when...

How long would you ride on the first oil?
sambiso
6/16/2017 12:44pm
early wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Noticed is location. Same as Tomoss GBR. Same guy?
What?
avidchimp
Fantasy
1250th
6/16/2017 12:48pm
c0ncEpT wrote:
I just ride mine at the track like I normally would. 1st lap is an easy lap after that just hammer down. Change the oil when...

sambiso wrote:
Who changes their oil?
6/16/2017 12:57pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 12:57pm
I've been told by a few people (not really anyone with a vast amount of knowledge) that the best way to break in an engine is to beat the shit out of it as it makes the rings seat better and won't allow blow by as easily. Haven't tested the theory but it kind of makes sense. Anyone ever heard the same?
Tracktor
6/16/2017 1:04pm
I've been told by a few people (not really anyone with a vast amount of knowledge) that the best way to break in an engine is...
I've been told by a few people (not really anyone with a vast amount of knowledge) that the best way to break in an engine is to beat the shit out of it as it makes the rings seat better and won't allow blow by as easily. Haven't tested the theory but it kind of makes sense. Anyone ever heard the same?
Pretty much 100% right. Since we went to breaking in like we race them our motors have ran better & lasted longer with no blow-by. I usually warm them up to make sure everything is seated and sounding good then go do a moto at 80%. After that it's one. Plenty of times we take them straight from the shop to the track if it's just a top end.............Done more than I can count this way both 2 & 4 stroke with great success. Note - these are all newer bikes with plated cylinders. Older stuff may be different if sleeved..............
c0ncEpT
6/16/2017 1:26pm
c0ncEpT wrote:

sambiso wrote:
1 practice day at the track. Probably 1 hour in total.
TeamGreen
6/16/2017 1:31pm
Calmly and soberly...

Take the chassis apart and grease EVERYTHING.

Pull the valve cover and torque the head.

Ride the living shot out of it and let us know how you're doing.

Manny
c0ncEpT
6/16/2017 1:43pm
I've been told by a few people (not really anyone with a vast amount of knowledge) that the best way to break in an engine is...
Tracktor wrote:
Pretty much 100% right. Since we went to breaking in like we race them our motors have ran better & lasted longer with no blow-by. I...
Pretty much 100% right. Since we went to breaking in like we race them our motors have ran better & lasted longer with no blow-by. I usually warm them up to make sure everything is seated and sounding good then go do a moto at 80%. After that it's one. Plenty of times we take them straight from the shop to the track if it's just a top end.............Done more than I can count this way both 2 & 4 stroke with great success. Note - these are all newer bikes with plated cylinders. Older stuff may be different if sleeved..............
I worked at a shop that built all the race engines for GM in the 2000's (C5R, GTO, CTSV-R, Ect). We actually had data off of a car from a race at Road Atlanta that we would use to break in the engines with.

Cylinder finish (surface finish and straightness) and proper proper break in are the key to good ring seal. The better the ring seal the more power an engine will make. Period.

When its time to rebuild my YZ250F I'm going to take the cylinder over there and measure how out of round it is with with PAT gauge. Should be interesting.
Mx286
6/16/2017 2:12pm
Is there any way to control the troll accounts? Geez this stuff is getting ridiculous.
captmoto
6/16/2017 2:20pm
Sounds like Tomoss opened another account.
10000hrs
6/16/2017 2:24pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 2:26pm
double post
10000hrs
6/16/2017 2:25pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 2:26pm
triple post.

step away from the keyboard.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/16/2017 2:27pm Edited Date/Time 6/16/2017 2:28pm
captmoto wrote:
In the HELP thread Tomoss started I asked if this guy aka. Tomoss was for real. I then said something about having 3 troll accounts and having plenty of time playing 3 persons. One thing led to another and this guy sambiso chimes in calling me a retard and saying nobody got time for that outing himself as a troll with multiple accounts.

He forgot he wasn't posting as Tomoss lol.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
6/16/2017 2:33pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:
In the HELP thread Tomoss started I asked if this guy aka. Tomoss was for real. I then said something about having 3 troll accounts and...
In the HELP thread Tomoss started I asked if this guy aka. Tomoss was for real. I then said something about having 3 troll accounts and having plenty of time playing 3 persons. One thing led to another and this guy sambiso chimes in calling me a retard and saying nobody got time for that outing himself as a troll with multiple accounts.

Yep, that was the best thing I've read today but the day is early…
sambiso
6/16/2017 2:34pm
captmoto wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:
In the HELP thread Tomoss started I asked if this guy aka. Tomoss was for real. I then said something about having 3 troll accounts and...

I wasn't calling you a retard i was calling the guy that started 3 accounts a retard...
BobPA
6/16/2017 2:39pm
I guess I am one of the lone rangers who actually break my bikes in. KTM wanted 3 hours on the bike before full throttle operation. Kawasaki 450's claim an hour of break in.
6/16/2017 2:40pm
captmoto wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

sambiso wrote:
I wasn't calling you a retard i was calling the guy that started 3 accounts a retard...
Yeah, that's exactly how it reads. How's your new cat?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
6/16/2017 2:46pm
captmoto wrote:
-MAVERICK- wrote:

sambiso wrote:
Not calling me a retard? Why quote my post then?

From the HELP thread Tomoss started.

peelout
6/16/2017 2:47pm
-MAVERICK- wrote:

sambiso wrote:
Yeah, that's exactly how it reads. How's your new cat?
much ty bro

Post a reply to: Breaking in a bike

The Latest