Breaking News: 2017 MXGP of USA Changes Venues

Moto_Geek
Fantasy
1666th
7/19/2017 8:20am
I fell alseep while riding at this new track once.. They added couple rutts which kept me awake.
agn5009
7/19/2017 8:22am
Some Euro fans (notice how I said fans, not riders) will complain no matter where it is in the USA. If they dont have home field advantage they know their riders will get smoked like they did last year at Glen Helen.
Brent
7/19/2017 8:36am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 8:37am
...so, if you are a promoter of dirt cycle racing, you need to:

(1) re- negotiate lease with property owner, with permission to hold international events;

(2) sign contract for international event.

Sounds like the promoter did the deal backwards, giving ALL the leverage to the land owner.
Tzevtkoff
7/19/2017 8:45am
agn5009 wrote:
Some Euro fans (notice how I said fans, not riders) will complain no matter where it is in the USA. If they dont have home field...
Some Euro fans (notice how I said fans, not riders) will complain no matter where it is in the USA. If they dont have home field advantage they know their riders will get smoked like they did last year at Glen Helen.
Totally agreed.

I hope Eli will come to the MXDN to close their mouths.

The Shop

DC
7/19/2017 9:21am
ehr400 wrote: Re-read, the promoters, Luongo and crew. I realize DC is falling on the sword for YS but lets face it, every year there are multiple venue changes or TBD's on their schedule. Cmon man.

400, they have multiple venue changes and TBDs because the FIM requires a provisional schedule almost a full year in advance, and things can and will change, as we just saw with Gatorback. I'm not falling on the sword for anyone, we are all trying to make this work after getting blindsided by the new lease terms. I don't know if Gatorback is gone forever or not, but WW Motocross Park stepped up immediately to help save this event (and likely the Mini O's too). Give the race (and the place) a chance and I think a lot of you will be pleasantly surprised...

DC
Racer X

motomike137
7/19/2017 9:35am
DC wrote:
ehr400 wrote: Re-read, the promoters, Luongo and crew. I realize DC is falling on the sword for YS but lets face it, every year there are...
ehr400 wrote: Re-read, the promoters, Luongo and crew. I realize DC is falling on the sword for YS but lets face it, every year there are multiple venue changes or TBD's on their schedule. Cmon man.

400, they have multiple venue changes and TBDs because the FIM requires a provisional schedule almost a full year in advance, and things can and will change, as we just saw with Gatorback. I'm not falling on the sword for anyone, we are all trying to make this work after getting blindsided by the new lease terms. I don't know if Gatorback is gone forever or not, but WW Motocross Park stepped up immediately to help save this event (and likely the Mini O's too). Give the race (and the place) a chance and I think a lot of you will be pleasantly surprised...

DC
Racer X

DC I do not envy the position you are in a lot of days but I am DAMN glad we have you at the helm!
fast willy
7/19/2017 9:44am Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 9:45am
Wow, looks real fast.
jamma10
7/19/2017 11:00am
agn5009 wrote:
Some Euro fans (notice how I said fans, not riders) will complain no matter where it is in the USA. If they dont have home field...
Tzevtkoff wrote:
Totally agreed.

I hope Eli will come to the MXDN to close their mouths.
Pretty certain all the feedback was positive when they announced there was going to be a GP at Gatorback.
brlatm
7/19/2017 12:14pm
There's some nice hotels at Chaffee and Crystal Springs right off I10 and they are just a few miles from the track.
Thanks Harry Bro, I'd rather stay downtown though in JAX and eat some kickass food, then eat at some local Chilis or such.
kkawboy14
7/19/2017 12:37pm
There's some nice hotels at Chaffee and Crystal Springs right off I10 and they are just a few miles from the track.
brlatm wrote:
Thanks Harry Bro, I'd rather stay downtown though in JAX and eat some kickass food, then eat at some local Chilis or such.
Anyone who goes there should at least visit St Augustine, oldest city in America
7/19/2017 12:41pm
brlatm wrote:
That's up to you, my friend. Whatever you do, enjoy it. If you'd like to come to Casa-de-Harry for some southern smoked food (using blackjack oak) and a swim, let me know.
7/19/2017 12:43pm
brlatm wrote:
kkawboy14 wrote:
Anyone who goes there should at least visit St Augustine, oldest city in America
Agreed, though it has become more and more of a tourist trap type place. Still has an interesting vibe at night and some good places to eat, drink and be merry.
brlatm
7/19/2017 12:54pm
That's up to you, my friend. Whatever you do, enjoy it. If you'd like to come to Casa-de-Harry for some southern smoked food (using blackjack oak)...
That's up to you, my friend. Whatever you do, enjoy it. If you'd like to come to Casa-de-Harry for some southern smoked food (using blackjack oak) and a swim, let me know.
Thanks for the invite, I'm bringing my 19yr old with and it's father/son bonding weekend over food, bikes and love of racing.
St Ann More
7/19/2017 1:01pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 1:06pm
ehr400 wrote:
And GP fanboys wonder why we laugh at the promoters of their series. What fucking joke. This is supposed to be the top tier of your...
And GP fanboys wonder why we laugh at the promoters of their series. What fucking joke. This is supposed to be the top tier of your racing and this shit happens year after year. Switching venues multiple times after people have started lining up accomodations is bs.
It is a shit show at times but isn't DC running this show? ;-)
CalRMX
7/19/2017 1:32pm
I wonder how many spectators are going to show up, 1000-2000 maybe?

Can spectators get to the infield, will there be tunnels under the jumps to allow spectators to cross under the track?

If not it's going to be a worthless fan experience. probably as bad as trying to spectate at the Elsinore MX nationals.

With all the outstanding tracks that could have been used I can't understand how this debacle happened.

I bet glen Helen is having a quite chuckle nowing their not involved in this clusterf'
7/19/2017 1:38pm
That's up to you, my friend. Whatever you do, enjoy it. If you'd like to come to Casa-de-Harry for some southern smoked food (using blackjack oak)...
brlatm wrote:
Thanks for the invite, I'm bringing my 19yr old with and it's father/son bonding weekend over food, bikes and love of racing.
Would love to have you both over on Saturday.
Squitlege
7/19/2017 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 7/19/2017 1:49pm
Can we get a solid round of appluase for the harryBro today... guy has been throwing out invites to his home all day like a boss! You sir, are the epitome of southern hospitality. Making us ol hillbillies in the south look good!
7/19/2017 1:51pm
Squitlege wrote:
Can we get a solid round of appluase for the harryBro today... guy has been throwing out invites to his home all day like a boss...
Can we get a solid round of appluase for the harryBro today... guy has been throwing out invites to his home all day like a boss! You sir, are the epitome of southern hospitality. Making us ol hillbillies in the south look good!
Thank you. Of course you and your fam are invited. PM for details.
brlatm
7/19/2017 1:55pm
Squitlege wrote:
Can we get a solid round of appluase for the harryBro today... guy has been throwing out invites to his home all day like a boss...
Thank you. Of course you and your fam are invited. PM for details.
You da man Harry! Thanks for the invites.
F.B
7/19/2017 3:16pm
That's a good move, Jacksonville has a wonderful TGI Fridays.
DonM
7/19/2017 4:22pm
A mxgp on a moto-supercross track?

I call bs.
JoJmoto wrote:
What I find funny about people from Euro complaining about jump filled tracks is, wtf does it matter? As my kid was coming up, he wouldn't...
What I find funny about people from Euro complaining about jump filled tracks is, wtf does it matter? As my kid was coming up, he wouldn't jump anything while on 65cc bikes and I would get pissed. Now he is on big bikes, the speed is on the ground, not jumps. Everyone jumps everything no time is made up in the air.
jamma10 wrote:
You just answered your own question; [i]'Everyone jumps everything'[/i] Jump filled [u]flat[/u] tracks are dull as shit. Maybe not much for amateurs, but for seasoned professionals...
You just answered your own question;

'Everyone jumps everything'

Jump filled flat tracks are dull as shit. Maybe not much for amateurs, but for seasoned professionals... where's the challenge?

Millville it ain't.
Have you ever been to Florida?? The majority of the state is FLAT...The only reason Gatorback isn't flat is because it is built in an old limestone quarry....Think the Netherlands...not much elevation there either...but you all love those tracks...Give it a chance because what you see now may not be what you see later...fucking complainers...
Whitey
7/19/2017 4:46pm
Davey, hearing that the new place is òn flat land you might want to convince youthstream to do something about the trackside advertising. I have been to a couple of flat land gps and it is almost impossible to see anything trackside (kids definitely wont see anything) due to how tall the banners are.

Might save yourselves a lot of agro from spectators
DanDunes818
7/19/2017 10:27pm
I've heard nothing but good things about WW and the people that run the facility. I think no matter where this is run, if DC and the teams get the top USA riders to attend, it will be a massive success. I dream of USGP events like the 70's and 80's and hope this is the first step in getting back to that.
philG
7/20/2017 12:14am
Whitey wrote:
Davey, hearing that the new place is òn flat land you might want to convince youthstream to do something about the trackside advertising. I have been...
Davey, hearing that the new place is òn flat land you might want to convince youthstream to do something about the trackside advertising. I have been to a couple of flat land gps and it is almost impossible to see anything trackside (kids definitely wont see anything) due to how tall the banners are.

best of luck with that ... it blows . And they don't care, Only need to be a few inches shorter and it would be much better.
mx1234
7/20/2017 2:48am
Motocross? haha

this is motocross:
RG1
7/20/2017 3:08am
I think the new place will be fine for racing. It's sandy, so the lack of elevation doesn't matter as much. It probably won't be as good as Gatorback would've been, but considering the circumstances of them having to find a new venue close by at short notice. It could've been much worse
Bearuno
7/20/2017 3:35am
Whitey wrote:
Davey, hearing that the new place is òn flat land you might want to convince youthstream to do something about the trackside advertising. I have been...

philG wrote:
best of luck with that ... it blows . And they don't care, Only need to be a few inches shorter and it would be much...
best of luck with that ... it blows . And they don't care, Only need to be a few inches shorter and it would be much better.
You're not wrong with that, Phil. I blows, and they (Luongo) don't care.

I've been at GPs, were you can see buggerall, because of the enormous size of the ad boards. I've spoken with spectators who've been so pissed by it happening so often, that their approach was to try Not to use products that are advertised by such huge boards. And tell the advertiser of their reasons for doing so.And / or, stop going to the GPs. And watch it on screens - which is what Luongo wants.............

All it would take, most times, is 6" from the top and bottom, and there'd still be a Bloody Big sign for TV footage, and 'at track' spectators would have a far better time. Though, I'm starting to see some ridiculous signage at US events, and the VIP tent thing, is getting more over the top than the GPs.

It's the main problem at flat land tracks - vision for the attending spectators..

But hell, MX is (well it started about) Natural Terrain, and a hell of a lot of land, is flat. You build to the terrain you have. Remember the vast amount of 'twattage' here, and elsewhere, by dickheads that know eff all about MX, when they bleated about Lommel before the MXDN? Pictures were put up of the flat plot of sand that it is, set in a light industrial zone - but it is one of the Palaces of Motocross, once it gets put to use. But of course, those same twats will go on about GP tracks with no elevation change, even if they watch racing at a place like Loket this coming weekend. I've traipsed up and down that track many times over the years, and it doesn't get any less of a climb(s) and descent(s).

All the stuff I've seen of WW Ranch, shows an incredibly enthusiastic bloke in charge. The stuff about his dad not letting him ride there, but the Grandson being let do it, was classic. Well, He's got his chance at a Big race now - I wish him well, and success. Hopefully, he won't be bled dry by Luongo - but I'm pretty sure he will - that's Luongo's business model. As much as I despise Luongo , this venue change is purely down to an domestic fuck up through greed.. I really hope it hasn't lost you, Floridians, the Gatorback track, permanently.
jamma10
7/20/2017 4:25am
JoJmoto wrote:
What I find funny about people from Euro complaining about jump filled tracks is, wtf does it matter? As my kid was coming up, he wouldn't...
What I find funny about people from Euro complaining about jump filled tracks is, wtf does it matter? As my kid was coming up, he wouldn't jump anything while on 65cc bikes and I would get pissed. Now he is on big bikes, the speed is on the ground, not jumps. Everyone jumps everything no time is made up in the air.
jamma10 wrote:
You just answered your own question; [i]'Everyone jumps everything'[/i] Jump filled [u]flat[/u] tracks are dull as shit. Maybe not much for amateurs, but for seasoned professionals...
You just answered your own question;

'Everyone jumps everything'

Jump filled flat tracks are dull as shit. Maybe not much for amateurs, but for seasoned professionals... where's the challenge?

Millville it ain't.
DonM wrote:
Have you ever been to Florida?? The majority of the state is FLAT...The only reason Gatorback isn't flat is because it is built in an old...
Have you ever been to Florida?? The majority of the state is FLAT...The only reason Gatorback isn't flat is because it is built in an old limestone quarry....Think the Netherlands...not much elevation there either...but you all love those tracks...Give it a chance because what you see now may not be what you see later...fucking complainers...
I realise WW Motocross Park stepped in to help out and fair play to them for doing so - it's certainly better than not having a USGP at all. If the locals think the track is OK then great, from what I've read the owners sound like they're good people so Iet's see how it turns out.

My comment was more a general point in response to JoJmoto about jump filled tracks. I have an accute dislike of manmade circuits built on barren expanses of flat land. It doesn't matter to me which country it is; Thailand, England (Mallory Park), USA (Miller Motorsports Park & Lake Elsinore)... they offer little in the way of a unique technical challenge, rarely have any natural features and tend to lack any sort of character whatsoever - All the ingredients that a Motocross track should have in my opinion. Just pinning the throttle between precisely engineered jumps built on a soulless landscape is so far removed from my own belief of what Motocross is about. Those sort of tracks are virtually indistinguishable from one another and offer very little appeal for me as a spectator or as a rider (with 30+ years of dedication)

Lierop is great because it's situated in a beautiful forest and naturally gets rough as hell, there are very few jumps, but I'm not a huge fan of Lommel - it's situated slap bang in the middle of an industrial trading estate but just happens to have very deep sand. The intriguing aspect to Lommel is the way the track breaks down and constantly evolves. However I don't agree with the idea that you can just dump a load of sand on a road racing facility and call it Motocross (Assen).

My intention wasn't to sound ungrateful for WW Motocross Park, but I make no apologies feeling the way I do about wanting to prioritise the fundamental principles of Motocross and retaining - for want of a better word - the sports charm.
Tzevtkoff
7/20/2017 4:45am
jamma10 wrote:
I realise WW Motocross Park stepped in to help out and fair play to them for doing so - it's certainly better than not having a...
I realise WW Motocross Park stepped in to help out and fair play to them for doing so - it's certainly better than not having a USGP at all. If the locals think the track is OK then great, from what I've read the owners sound like they're good people so Iet's see how it turns out.

My comment was more a general point in response to JoJmoto about jump filled tracks. I have an accute dislike of manmade circuits built on barren expanses of flat land. It doesn't matter to me which country it is; Thailand, England (Mallory Park), USA (Miller Motorsports Park & Lake Elsinore)... they offer little in the way of a unique technical challenge, rarely have any natural features and tend to lack any sort of character whatsoever - All the ingredients that a Motocross track should have in my opinion. Just pinning the throttle between precisely engineered jumps built on a soulless landscape is so far removed from my own belief of what Motocross is about. Those sort of tracks are virtually indistinguishable from one another and offer very little appeal for me as a spectator or as a rider (with 30+ years of dedication)

Lierop is great because it's situated in a beautiful forest and naturally gets rough as hell, there are very few jumps, but I'm not a huge fan of Lommel - it's situated slap bang in the middle of an industrial trading estate but just happens to have very deep sand. The intriguing aspect to Lommel is the way the track breaks down and constantly evolves. However I don't agree with the idea that you can just dump a load of sand on a road racing facility and call it Motocross (Assen).

My intention wasn't to sound ungrateful for WW Motocross Park, but I make no apologies feeling the way I do about wanting to prioritise the fundamental principles of Motocross and retaining - for want of a better word - the sports charm.
7/20/2017 4:48am
Remember when everyone said Argentina looked like a shit track... That is one of the best tracks on the circuit.

WW Ranch is a cool place, I believe the racing will be great there.

Post a reply to: Breaking News: 2017 MXGP of USA Changes Venues

The Latest