Brand New bike that has problems immediately

Related:
Create New Tag

5/30/2019 12:14 PM

Every time I buy a new bike I miss work and loose gas money to get the filtered oiled from the dealership, I'll learn one day!

|

5/30/2019 12:27 PM

I picked up my '18 KTM 150 XC-W "brand-new". Upon getting home, it ran like crap. I found clogged pilot and main jets, white junk in the carb, black junk in the carb which came from a degraded fuel line, sand in the air box (but not in the boot, so it probably just blew in from being outside in the day. Worse, I found 2 hours on the odometer, which I'm hoping came from just riding it in and out for 2 years. The air filter oil was dry and pooled.

Aside from THOSE things, which I fixed myself w/out saying anything, the dealer being over 2 hours away, and WTF... I'm a big boy and can handle these things... there were the typical KTM 150 things... piss-poor jetting, worthless front suspension, and too big rear tires.

I dunno. Life sucks. I just deal with it. And I _will_ mention it to the dealer IF I ever have opportunity.

|

2019 KTM 150 SX
2019 Husqvarna TX300
2021 Honda CB500X

5/30/2019 12:32 PM

Markee wrote:

Every time I buy a new bike I miss work and loose gas money to get the filtered oiled from the dealership, I'll learn one day! ...more

If you get a cat this won't be an issue.

|

5/30/2019 12:48 PM

in 85 I bought a brand new wicked pissa water cooled kx 500 from a dealer it seized in less than one hour I took it apart and told the dealer they had me bring it in he told me he would give me gaskets and a piston kit but I had to buy the cylinder for dealer cost, I was ok with that and I bought many more bikes from that guy

|

5/30/2019 12:51 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I think I'm the only one that sees why this guy isn't happy. I've never bought a brand new bike before, but I'd hope it would ...more

I guess I am out of line for thinking a bike shouldn't have issues when its brand new...

|

5/30/2019 12:53 PM

The air filter is a non issue. Just oil the filter and move on. Excess packing blowing out of the muffler is also a non issue. The packing that's supposed to be in the muffler is probably still in the muffler. The launch control is the only real issue here, and is not exactly an emergency. Just be glad you can ride the bike until you can find the time to get the launch control fixed. In the bigger picture of problems that people have with new bikes, this is really trivial - despite what a new buyer's frustration level might indicate.

|

Current rides: 2021 TM 144

5/30/2019 1:00 PM

Manufacturers use a light oil on the filter and it turns to nothing by the time it makes its way to your garage. It's in the standard list of thing to check anytime you buy a new "toy" that has an engine. Most people would scratch this one from your list.

The packing is a consumable. If it sucks, repack it. Most people would also scratch this from your list.

The last item, which is the only item as far as I'm concerned, is the launch control and if you haven't been around dirt bikes long enough to know about the filter oil, then it wouldn't surprise me if you're not understanding how it works. So, the only item on your list is a 50/50 thing at best.

The above combined with the mention of the lemon law really make this look like buyer's remorse.

|

5/30/2019 1:08 PM

Lol there would be a lot of different tunes being sung in anyone else on this thread was the OP. I’d be pissed as hell and rightfully so, the PITA factor is worse than the mo way in this case, that’s a lot of driving and time off work for stuff that should have been checked in the first place.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

5/30/2019 1:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2019 1:13 PM

If you dont even know how to put oil on a filter I dont think launch control is going to help you much.

Seriously, if filter oil and silencer packing has you totally stumped and requires a dealer visit, I question how much experience on a bike you really have.

|

5/30/2019 1:19 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

I think I'm the only one that sees why this guy isn't happy. I've never bought a brand new bike before, but I'd hope it would ...more

will4796 wrote:

I guess I am out of line for thinking a bike shouldn't have issues when its brand new...

No, you're not out of line for thinking that at all, it's just that your expectations of how it will get resolved aren't realistic. If you think that the dealer is: a) Going to make a house call or, b) Going to reimburse you for travel/time off work, that isn't reality. It just isn't.

I will add this: If I were the dealer, I would (at the very least) meet you at the shop on a Saturday so they could take your bike.

|

5/30/2019 1:25 PM

Texas Built wrote:

If you dont even know how to put oil on a filter I dont think launch control is going to help you much.

Seriously, if filter ...more

|

5/30/2019 1:52 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

will4796 wrote:

DoctorJD wrote:

No, you're not out of line for thinking that at all, it's just that your expectations of how it will get resolved aren't ...more

Never said they were going to reimburse me for travel/ time off work. Which is why I was wondering if anyone else had these issues ever, and there was ways around me taking it in to the dealer. As far as leaving it at the dealer, that might be my only option, with that being said I would enjoy racing/riding my brand new bike on the weekends and cant do that if its in the dealer...

|

5/30/2019 2:09 PM

The empathy level is low here Luke....

|

5/30/2019 2:15 PM

I actually do empathize with him for the real reason, not so much for this facade.

|

5/30/2019 2:22 PM

Photo

Don't put a pipe on it!
|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

5/30/2019 2:25 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

will4796 wrote:

No, you are not out of line for expecting to get a fully functioning bike for the money you spent.
But, sometimes a manufactured vehicle isn’t 100% when new.
It sucks, but you’ll just have to take step back and accept it.
The dealer didn’t create any of the issues, imho.
As mentioned above, motorcycle dealers cannot be trusted to race prep a new bike.
None do so your shop is typical.

Lemmon laws only apply when a car has repeatedly been taken to a dealer and spent excessive time trying to get the same problem corrected.

You have a big let down now but just get it to them, let them sort it ou and move on.
Don’t let a couple of days problems now ruin the fun you’ll have when you are past these small issues.

|

5/30/2019 2:33 PM

Like said above, the air filters do come pre-oiled from the factory and it is a light mist at best. Bikes probably sit for at least a month and of course over time air filter oil migrates to the bottom. They probably do this on purpose so there isn't filter oil dripping out of the air box at the dealer.

I didn't think my 19 KX had any oil until I pulled it off and there was a little bit accumulated at the bottom of the filter. Personally I think this should be on the dealer as they should check and oil the filter when they sell the bike.

|

5/30/2019 3:02 PM

That sucks man. As others have said, make them fix the exhaust and launch control. You’re right to be upset. I’d be pissed. But these things happens when you deal with machines built by humans.

For what it’s worth I have never had this issue, but I did have a dealer take the used wheels from a team’s race bike and try to put them on one of my “new” bikes. It was missing break pads too. Obviously was a parts bike. I got a totally new one with a different VIN a week later, but it required some driving!

Also, I broke down a YZ250F when it was new to grease everything and wow that was a waste of time. Plenty of grease everywhere. The air filter is usually very light on oil but not bone dry. I never run the stock one anyways.

|

5/30/2019 3:10 PM

I don’t think a dealer in my city would look at any bike after the ink dried, they are box store horrible.

Two hours away, some excellent dirt bike service, knowledge and enthusiasm.
Don’t need them often, but it’s worth the drive to me.

Take her to the dealer, shit happens. I just got done greasing the brake pins on my one year old truck.
Took it to the dealer for squeaky brakes, they IDed the problem, $120. Did it myself.

Walmart world.

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

5/30/2019 3:12 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

That sucks man. As others have said, make them fix the exhaust and launch control. You’re right to be upset. I’d be pissed. ...more

Missing brake pads😮

|

In my 60’s and still loving dirt scoots up here in the frozen north.

2021 Husky 501s

5/30/2019 3:22 PM

Here, let me slide you an extra $10 on top of my "Dealer setup Fees" to lube up my filter good and proper.

|

5/30/2019 3:22 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

That sucks man. As others have said, make them fix the exhaust and launch control. You’re right to be upset. I’d be pissed. ...more

Drtbykr wrote:

Missing brake pads

Yes. I won’t put them on blast because they are good people in general and sold me bikes and parts at cost for years. Goes to show BS happens everywhere. It’s just human error.

|

5/30/2019 3:24 PM
Edited Date/Time: 5/30/2019 3:25 PM

What the hell kind of bike dealership is closed on Saturdays ?? And why would anyone buy from a dealer closed on Saturday,the busiest day of the week in the motorcycle business.pinch

|

5/30/2019 4:24 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

Nope I see it his way too fuck these assholes.
A new motorcycle should come ready to fucking go.

Not only is it how it should be with anything you buy but they charge you a bullshit prep charge for putting a few parts on.

I have had to tear down every new bike just to protect myself from these non caring retailing assholes that call themselves professionals.

What the fuck do you ssshats think warranty
Administration would say if you rode bike first
Day and found out air filter wasn’t oiled correctly and dirt cussed the failure? You guessed it not warranted.

And you know what? Riding a not ready to race
Race bike or dirt bike causes damage.

What the hells wrong with you idiots.

If you bought a new car and they told you might have lube your suspension or wheel bearings or air up your new tires before driving you’d say fuck you deaker, really?

|

5/30/2019 4:26 PM

|

5/30/2019 4:27 PM

GoggleFiend904 wrote:

STLSharky wrote:

Nope I see it his way too fuck these assholes.
A new motorcycle should come ready to fucking go.

Not only is it how it ...more

Lmao, go drink a beer and settle down Francis.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

5/30/2019 4:30 PM

Dealer has offered to make it right so unless you can learn to fix your bike yourself bite the bullet and make the trip.

Years ago I bought a brand new Maico 450. First ride and the bike quit shifting. Called the dealer the next day and they told me their rate to check it out. Once it was sold there was no warranty. Now if the dealer wanted to keep a good customer they could of made the effort to check it out. They didn’t care. I took the clutch side cover off and found a Allen head case screw behind the clutch backed out and was blocking the shifting mechanism. I pulled the clutch and tightened up the screw and put everything back together and was good to go.

|

5/30/2019 4:30 PM

It's always weird to be when the Lexus/BMW/Mercedes new car attitude makes its way into dirt bikes. That's exactly why there's hardly any warranty on them, too many entitled people out there that don't know what they're doing. Dirt bikes are not hammers.

|

5/30/2019 4:31 PM

sandtrack315 wrote:

Drtbykr wrote:

Missing brake pads

sandtrack315 wrote:

Yes. I won’t put them on blast because they are good people in general and sold me bikes and parts at cost for years. Goes to ...more

No it’s negligent and poor service

|

5/30/2019 4:32 PM

If it was 2 of the 3 issues mentioned, it may not seem so out of line.. but so many twinks here focusing on a dry fuckin air filter, mind blowing to think this is brought up.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.