Brand New bike that has problems immediately

WW444
5/31/2019 11:57am
WW444 wrote:
Kawasaki just rebuilt my motor for a major engine vibration I was having on my 18 KX250f with 3 hours on it. Took it in to...
Kawasaki just rebuilt my motor for a major engine vibration I was having on my 18 KX250f with 3 hours on it. Took it in to them and they performed tear down and found a side main bearing intermittently seizing. Kawasaki took care of everything for me and the dealer was the best experience I could ask for. BUT I still had vibration.. ended up being my brand new Pro Circuit TI6 Pro exhaust system because it is solid mounted and not rubber mounted. A fellow vital member mentioned it so I put my stock exhaust back on(rubber mounted) and no more vibration. I could not believe the solid mounted system was causing so much vibration. Has anyone experienced this with theirs because I believe all pro circuit and fmf are solid mounted for 250s. None of my previous 250s had this problem with exhaust... So moral here is Kawasaki goes far and beyond for their customers and I have bought several new bikes from them and I will continue to.So even though the circumstances don't comfort you. Give them a chance and they will make it right.
scott_nz wrote:
there has been a number of issues with PC pipes breaking the tab off the subframe of 19 kx450's, never understood why the aftermarket companies solid...
there has been a number of issues with PC pipes breaking the tab off the subframe of 19 kx450's,

never understood why the aftermarket companies solid mount the pipes, they all use the std rubbers for the 2 strokes mufflers,
Yeah I knew of the pc pipes breaking the tabs on the 19 450s but Im talking about the pc pipe on my 250. I have a 19 kx450 as well but haven't put exhaust on it yet. The pc pipes are now rubber mounted for them though because of the tab issue. I called Pro circuit to see if they can replace my bracket with a rubber grommet for my 250 and they haven't gotten back to me yet. Yoshimura pipes are rubber mounted so I may have to go with that for the 250.
5/31/2019 12:12pm
I still think this guy should "game the system." At the very least go to your local track and have a buddy film you on the start gate. Look into the camera and say, "My awesome new KX450. Launch Control is ready to go and I'm going to see how it works by revving this green monster to the moon and letting the clutch fly!" Next, rev the bike until the limiter kicks in and starts popping and pinging. Dump the clutch and loop out. Have your buddy doing the filming come up to you as you lie on the ground screaming and writhing in pain (whether real or fake doesn't matter) and get some good footage of you rolling around and holding your legs or arms or neck or all the above or whatever. Next, if you don't actually need crutches or a wheelchair, borrow one or the other (or both) and have yourself wheeled into the dealership with the video ready to play. This should result in you getting an oiled filter and a repaired launch control. They might even be so sympathetic as to offer you free fork oil for life.

Or, you could follow my original advice and just jump off a building or out of a tall pine tree. However, I recommend you land on grass or soft soil if you pursue that route.
5/31/2019 12:36pm
Markee wrote:
Every time I buy a new bike I miss work and loose gas money to get the filtered oiled from the dealership, I'll learn one day!
If you get a cat this won't be an issue.
Thank you for restoring my faith in the system Harry Bro

The Shop

racerx217
5/31/2019 4:53pm
Dear OP, you are way to soft for mx. Sell it and buy some golf clubs.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
6/1/2019 5:47am
I still think this guy should "game the system." At the very least go to your local track and have a buddy film you on the...
I still think this guy should "game the system." At the very least go to your local track and have a buddy film you on the start gate. Look into the camera and say, "My awesome new KX450. Launch Control is ready to go and I'm going to see how it works by revving this green monster to the moon and letting the clutch fly!" Next, rev the bike until the limiter kicks in and starts popping and pinging. Dump the clutch and loop out. Have your buddy doing the filming come up to you as you lie on the ground screaming and writhing in pain (whether real or fake doesn't matter) and get some good footage of you rolling around and holding your legs or arms or neck or all the above or whatever. Next, if you don't actually need crutches or a wheelchair, borrow one or the other (or both) and have yourself wheeled into the dealership with the video ready to play. This should result in you getting an oiled filter and a repaired launch control. They might even be so sympathetic as to offer you free fork oil for life.

Or, you could follow my original advice and just jump off a building or out of a tall pine tree. However, I recommend you land on grass or soft soil if you pursue that route.
To get the full effect it really needs to be snowing muffler packing in the video
mxer15
6/1/2019 7:02am
Having had probably 20 new "race bikes" cause that's what they are, I always started them before I left dealerships checked clutch engagement brakes etc. some dealers even have little dirt areas they use after they " set up" bikes so I would do ride it just to check it out for basics. Then take it home and tear it down lube every thing, check clickers etc. in old days jap bikes came with what we used to call fish oil in the forks lol . So that said change all fluids to good quality shit make all adjustments. A true racer would never ride a bike until set up properly. Good luck
katoom350
6/3/2019 9:28pm
My husky had leaking countershaft seal on the first ride. Was cheaper to just replace myself instead of driving to the dealership. The slave cylinder failed as well with under 2 hours on it. I put on a rekluse manual slave as the replacement magura parts are faulty as well. And yes, tear down everything and grease/torque it down yourself when buying brand new. Just part of buying new...
Motohead279
6/6/2019 10:12am
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes...
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes. Air filters are almost never properly oiled by the dealership. You’ll want to grease the linkage and head tube bearings as well. Bummer your new bike is having issues, but they aren’t handling it incorrectly.
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This 100%! I've never bought a brand new bike and not oiled the filter myself. All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they...
This 100%!

I've never bought a brand new bike and not oiled the filter myself.
All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they can properly diagnose the issue.
Why do you seem to have such an issue taking it back to the dealer when there is a problem with the launch control? Don't you want that taken care of as well as the packing issue?

As far as the packing coming out, how much is coming out? I've seen plenty of new bikes spit out some excess packing as well as when people repack them.

$300 in gas to get to and from your dealer? How far away did you buy the bike?
will4796 wrote:
That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf...
That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf 250r air filter was oiled when it came so I just thought this was odd. And I didn't notice the launch control until I went to race it for the first time so that is just another issue that I found out later.

The issue I am at is it really worth the time and money to get these things fixed. Just a bummer that the bike came with these problems and there was nothing in my control I could do to prevent this.

and the dealer is 2 hours away from me one way right now.

I mean its easy for people to laugh at the dollar amount when they didn't go out and buy a brand new bike that came with issues.

And cars have lemon laws in which the car would've been purchased back, so I mean its different in that way as well.

I guess if that's the standard, then that's the way it has to be, just sucks that there is no other way.
Geez a bit over dramatic?!

And no a lemon law does not work like that FYI. If you have to take the car back 3 times for the same “major” issue then the lemon law can be applied.
6/6/2019 11:19am
I still think this guy should "game the system." At the very least go to your local track and have a buddy film you on the...

GrapeApe wrote:
To get the full effect it really needs to be snowing muffler packing in the video
Grape! Yeah man, that would be perfection and not really that hard to rig up.

LaughingLaughingLaughing
Starrr69
6/13/2023 6:15pm
will4796 wrote:
I recently bought a brand new 2019 KX 450 and it has come with issues right from the box . I am just wondering what peoples...
I recently bought a brand new 2019 KX 450 and it has come with issues right from the box . I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are and if anyone has gone through this themselves..

Problem 1 Bike was sold to me without an oiled air filter, only reason I caught this before riding was I noticed it when putting on my hour meter. I am wondering if this is a standard or was this a mess up by the dealer?

Problem 2 Road the bike 1st time and the packing started coming out the muffler, right where the end cap meets the muffler

Problem 3 Launch Control doesn't work, Yes I have the bike in neutral and yes I held the button. It doesn't work

So I reached out to the dealer ship and they said I would have to bring it in to get it fixed, Rather than just sending me a new muffler and I send the old one in.

I reached out to Kawasaki and they made it seem like they could help me, but once again said I would have to bring it to the dealer. Bringing it to the dealer is kind of a big inconvenience, being that my bike isn't stored at my apartment, so I would have to drive 1 hour to pick up the bike and another 1 hour to get to the dealer, so 2 hours one way!

There's more though, the dealer isn't open on weekends and I also would like to race my brand new bike on weekends anyways. All in all it would cost me probably over 300$ in gas and missing work during the week to bring this brand new bike in to get the work done.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues like this with other brands or even Kawasaki and how it was handled?? Kawasaki is insistent that the only we this can be handled is bringing it to the dealer.. I am not too happy that my brand new $8,000++ is already costing me money and came from the factory with issues. Let me know your thoughts or experiences with this issue.

I don't think believe they're any lemon laws revolving dirt bikes, but I sure wish there was in times like these, I want nothing to do with this brand new bike and I unfortunately will not buy another Kawasaki due to this hassle.

Have a 2023 kx250 and it has been nothing but issues. Less than a year old and motor is shot. Not many hours and not a gard rider. My 07 Honda and 2003 Suzuki are tried and true. The only bikes I can trust on the weekends

nate 415
6/13/2023 6:47pm
will4796 wrote:
I recently bought a brand new 2019 KX 450 and it has come with issues right from the box . I am just wondering what peoples...
I recently bought a brand new 2019 KX 450 and it has come with issues right from the box . I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are and if anyone has gone through this themselves..

Problem 1 Bike was sold to me without an oiled air filter, only reason I caught this before riding was I noticed it when putting on my hour meter. I am wondering if this is a standard or was this a mess up by the dealer?

Problem 2 Road the bike 1st time and the packing started coming out the muffler, right where the end cap meets the muffler

Problem 3 Launch Control doesn't work, Yes I have the bike in neutral and yes I held the button. It doesn't work

So I reached out to the dealer ship and they said I would have to bring it in to get it fixed, Rather than just sending me a new muffler and I send the old one in.

I reached out to Kawasaki and they made it seem like they could help me, but once again said I would have to bring it to the dealer. Bringing it to the dealer is kind of a big inconvenience, being that my bike isn't stored at my apartment, so I would have to drive 1 hour to pick up the bike and another 1 hour to get to the dealer, so 2 hours one way!

There's more though, the dealer isn't open on weekends and I also would like to race my brand new bike on weekends anyways. All in all it would cost me probably over 300$ in gas and missing work during the week to bring this brand new bike in to get the work done.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues like this with other brands or even Kawasaki and how it was handled?? Kawasaki is insistent that the only we this can be handled is bringing it to the dealer.. I am not too happy that my brand new $8,000++ is already costing me money and came from the factory with issues. Let me know your thoughts or experiences with this issue.

I don't think believe they're any lemon laws revolving dirt bikes, but I sure wish there was in times like these, I want nothing to do with this brand new bike and I unfortunately will not buy another Kawasaki due to this hassle.

1. Oil the air filter. Hint. clean and oil it every ride

2. Ignore packing or repack yourself.  Very common horspower robbing  maintenance  item often neglected

3 Based on the fact you don't understand what a "lemon " is or basic new bike prep, you don't need launch control.

And good luck with your gas milage problem

cbarber
Fantasy
2028th
6/13/2023 7:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/13/2023 7:07pm
will4796 wrote:

nate 415 wrote:
1. Oil the air filter. Hint. clean and oil it every ride 2. Ignore packing or repack yourself.  Very common horspower robbing  maintenance  item often neglected...

1. Oil the air filter. Hint. clean and oil it every ride

2. Ignore packing or repack yourself.  Very common horspower robbing  maintenance  item often neglected

3 Based on the fact you don't understand what a "lemon " is or basic new bike prep, you don't need launch control.

And good luck with your gas milage problem

Hint: This thread is like 4 years old. 

Post a reply to: Brand New bike that has problems immediately

The Latest