Brand New bike that has problems immediately

will4796
5/30/2019 10:01am Edited Date/Time 6/6/2019 11:19am
I recently bought a brand new 2019 KX 450 and it has come with issues right from the box . I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are and if anyone has gone through this themselves..

Problem 1 Bike was sold to me without an oiled air filter, only reason I caught this before riding was I noticed it when putting on my hour meter. I am wondering if this is a standard or was this a mess up by the dealer?

Problem 2 Road the bike 1st time and the packing started coming out the muffler, right where the end cap meets the muffler

Problem 3 Launch Control doesn't work, Yes I have the bike in neutral and yes I held the button. It doesn't work

So I reached out to the dealer ship and they said I would have to bring it in to get it fixed, Rather than just sending me a new muffler and I send the old one in.

I reached out to Kawasaki and they made it seem like they could help me, but once again said I would have to bring it to the dealer. Bringing it to the dealer is kind of a big inconvenience, being that my bike isn't stored at my apartment, so I would have to drive 1 hour to pick up the bike and another 1 hour to get to the dealer, so 2 hours one way!

There's more though, the dealer isn't open on weekends and I also would like to race my brand new bike on weekends anyways. All in all it would cost me probably over 300$ in gas and missing work during the week to bring this brand new bike in to get the work done.

I am wondering if anyone has had any issues like this with other brands or even Kawasaki and how it was handled?? Kawasaki is insistent that the only we this can be handled is bringing it to the dealer.. I am not too happy that my brand new $8,000++ is already costing me money and came from the factory with issues. Let me know your thoughts or experiences with this issue.

I don't think believe they're any lemon laws revolving dirt bikes, but I sure wish there was in times like these, I want nothing to do with this brand new bike and I unfortunately will not buy another Kawasaki due to this hassle.
|
Mr. Afterbar
5/30/2019 10:07am
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes. Air filters are almost never properly oiled by the dealership. You’ll want to grease the linkage and head tube bearings as well. Bummer your new bike is having issues, but they aren’t handling it incorrectly.
5/30/2019 10:08am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 10:09am
You always go over a new bike prior to riding and should re grease everything as new bikes come with limited grease. Take it back to the dealer and get it fixed is the only option I see. Get it done sooner than later and enjoy your new bike. Dont give them attitude, people never go the extra mile for jerks.
dean122
5/30/2019 10:13am
Shit happens. Yes, you need to bring the bike in, that's standard procedure. If you just send parts through the mail to get fixed, they have no idea that came off a bike they sold you. Non-oiled filter doesn't sound like a big deal. I would re-oil the filter and pull all bearing items (linkage) and re-grease them anyway before riding it. Yeah, the muffler packing is a bummer, but there's folks that have much worse issues than that from a brand new bike. These types of things can happen with any brand.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/30/2019 10:13am
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes...
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes. Air filters are almost never properly oiled by the dealership. You’ll want to grease the linkage and head tube bearings as well. Bummer your new bike is having issues, but they aren’t handling it incorrectly.
This 100%!

I've never bought a brand new bike and not oiled the filter myself.
All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they can properly diagnose the issue.
Why do you seem to have such an issue taking it back to the dealer when there is a problem with the launch control? Don't you want that taken care of as well as the packing issue?

As far as the packing coming out, how much is coming out? I've seen plenty of new bikes spit out some excess packing as well as when people repack them.

$300 in gas to get to and from your dealer? How far away did you buy the bike?

The Shop

mxb2
5/30/2019 10:16am
No different than buying a car. You have issues and they don’t just send you new parts. They need to diagnose it themselves for warranty purposes...
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This 100%! I've never bought a brand new bike and not oiled the filter myself. All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they...
This 100%!

All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they can properly diagnose the issue.
Why do you seem to have such an issue taking it back to the dealer when there is a problem with the launch control? Don't you want that taken care of as well as the packing issue?

As far as the packing coming out, how much is coming out? I've seen plenty of new bikes spit out some excess packing as well as when people repack them.

Missing work and fuel. Imo it sucks but like others said, take it. To the dealer. Their not sending parts. At least they are taking care of it.
will4796
5/30/2019 10:26am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This 100%! I've never bought a brand new bike and not oiled the filter myself. All issues need to be handled at the dealer so they...
This 100%!

That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf 250r air filter was oiled when it came so I just thought this was odd. And I didn't notice the launch control until I went to race it for the first time so that is just another issue that I found out later.

The issue I am at is it really worth the time and money to get these things fixed. Just a bummer that the bike came with these problems and there was nothing in my control I could do to prevent this.

and the dealer is 2 hours away from me one way right now.

I mean its easy for people to laugh at the dollar amount when they didn't go out and buy a brand new bike that came with issues.

And cars have lemon laws in which the car would've been purchased back, so I mean its different in that way as well.

I guess if that's the standard, then that's the way it has to be, just sucks that there is no other way.
kb228
5/30/2019 10:29am
$300 in gas??? What do you live 10 hours from the closest dealer? $100 will get me a 10 hour round trip in a 5.4 f150.

Take it to a dealer. Thats how it works. You dont get free parts until they verify its broken.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/30/2019 10:30am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 10:32am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This 100%!

will4796 wrote:
That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf...
That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf 250r air filter was oiled when it came so I just thought this was odd. And I didn't notice the launch control until I went to race it for the first time so that is just another issue that I found out later.

The issue I am at is it really worth the time and money to get these things fixed. Just a bummer that the bike came with these problems and there was nothing in my control I could do to prevent this.

I mean its easy for people to laugh at the dollar amount when they didn't go out and buy a brand new bike that came with issues.

And cars have lemon laws in which the car would've been purchased back, so I mean its different in that way as well.

I guess if that's the standard, then that's the way it has to be, just sucks that there is no other way.
Why not take it to a closer Kawasaki dealer that is open at least 1 day during the weekend? I don't see why that would be an issue.

There are a shitload of Kawi dealers near your city.
Mr. Afterbar
5/30/2019 10:32am
will4796 wrote:
That was the same scenario when I bought the bike, had to already take time off work to go pick up the bike. My 18 Crf...

I understand your frustration if it makes you feel better. You’re not going to get much sympathy here. And I don’t see anything that would constitute your bike a lemon. Those are a few minor issues.
byke
5/30/2019 10:32am
Plus, what if you live way out in the middle of northern Canada or Alaska and it's accessible only by air? Are they supposed to charter a local bush plane? The service is the constant and the buyer is the variable. Bummer, but that's what you agree to. If you need all included delivery services, replacement loaner bike services, rental car services, snacks in transit, etc. to go along with your bike purchase, then look for a broker which offers them. Your $8k bike turns into a $30k bike, but that's the other way and at least you'll get what you want.
Payup_199
5/30/2019 10:36am
These issues are not even close to relevant for lemon laws, so throw that talk right out the window on your 2 hour drive to the dealership.

BR8ES
5/30/2019 10:40am
Pix of the packing would be nice, the air filter is hardly an issue, launch control may just be not plugged in or something. I wouldn't trust a dealer to PDI the bike for actual riding without going over it myself.
will4796
5/30/2019 10:41am
mattyhamz2 wrote:
This 100%!

will4796 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Why not take it to a closer Kawasaki dealer that is open at least 1 day during the weekend? I don't see why that would be...
Why not take it to a closer Kawasaki dealer that is open at least 1 day during the weekend? I don't see why that would be an issue.

They're not many Kawi dealers by my city, closest one is about 40 minutes away, and I did not know I could take it to any Kawi dealer, I assumed it had to be the one that I bought it from.
byke
5/30/2019 10:42am
Payup_199 wrote:
These issues are not even close to relevant for lemon laws, so throw that talk right out the window on your 2 hour drive to the...
These issues are not even close to relevant for lemon laws, so throw that talk right out the window on your 2 hour drive to the dealership.

That's what's really going on here; buyer remorse and seeking affirmation. Not gonna find either.
will4796
5/30/2019 10:43am
Payup_199 wrote:
These issues are not even close to relevant for lemon laws, so throw that talk right out the window on your 2 hour drive to the...

Ok well cars also come with warranties so that talk could've been thrown out from the start. and ive only had the bike for 2 rides and it already has these issues so its on pace for lemon law issues.
BR8ES
5/30/2019 10:45am
Lemon law is bringing it to the dealer back and forth, have you done that?? Are you really harping on a dry air filter? Do you bring it to the dealer for service too?
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/30/2019 10:46am
will4796 wrote:

mattyhamz2 wrote:
Why not take it to a closer Kawasaki dealer that is open at least 1 day during the weekend? I don't see why that would be...

will4796 wrote:
They're not many Kawi dealers by my city, closest one is about 40 minutes away, and I did not know I could take it to any...
They're not many Kawi dealers by my city, closest one is about 40 minutes away, and I did not know I could take it to any Kawi dealer, I assumed it had to be the one that I bought it from.
According to GoogleMaps there's quite a few. Closest shows 32 minutes from the center of your city, with many others not much further. So maybe GoogleMaps is wrong. I'm not sure. I just did a bit of research.

Call Kawasaki and they will tell you if you can or can't take it to another dealer.
Doddy
5/30/2019 10:55am
will4796 wrote:
Ok well cars also come with warranties so that talk could've been thrown out from the start. and ive only had the bike for 2 rides...
Ok well cars also come with warranties so that talk could've been thrown out from the start. and ive only had the bike for 2 rides and it already has these issues so its on pace for lemon law issues.
No warranty offered on Kawasakis? My Yamaha came with a 30 day. I thought they all did..
will4796
5/30/2019 10:56am
will4796 wrote:
Ok well cars also come with warranties so that talk could've been thrown out from the start. and ive only had the bike for 2 rides...
Doddy wrote:
No warranty offered on Kawasakis? My Yamaha came with a 30 day. I thought they all did..
Unfortunately no....
5/30/2019 10:58am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2019 11:14am
I think you should "game the system" by finding a building or tree where you can jump off from at least 20 feet in height. After you get out of the hospital, take the bike to the dealership and blame the launch control for your broken legs, arms and bandaged head. When your mom pushes you through the door in that new wheelchair with your head all bandaged up and you looking like Zippy The Pinhead, and with your legs and arm in casts, they'll have sympathy and give you an oiled filter and maybe even fix the launch control.
49weasel
5/30/2019 10:59am
Payup_199 wrote:

will4796 wrote:
No lemon law on competition vehicles. Quickest way for a dealer or Kaw not to help is to threaten lemon law.
Even if there was a lemon law on your bike you would have to let the dealer attempt to fix your bike several times before you remotely had a chance to cry lemon law. Also the launch control isn't keeping you from riding it. It's not Kaws fault you chose to buy a bike from a dealer that's 40 mins away.

The only real issue is the launch control not working, I would be willing to bet you're doing something wrong. Is your idle set too high? I thought I had an issue with my 18 Crf450 because it wouldn't switch maps, once I educated myself I figured out that my idle was set too high..
Shaggin589
5/30/2019 10:59am
The 19 was my first new bike and all I’ve ever heard was new bikes don’t come oiled or anything so I pulled the air filter and checked bearings and sure enough it was all drier than a popcorn fart.

As for the muffler I changed mine after 20 minutes because it’s so dang ugly and I’ve never even used the launch control but I’ll have to check it this weekend!
baii3r
5/30/2019 11:03am
Someone is just a little baby
will4796
5/30/2019 11:05am
Payup_199 wrote:

will4796 wrote:
49weasel wrote:
No lemon law on competition vehicles. Quickest way for a dealer or Kaw not to help is to threaten lemon law. Even if there was a...
No lemon law on competition vehicles. Quickest way for a dealer or Kaw not to help is to threaten lemon law.
Even if there was a lemon law on your bike you would have to let the dealer attempt to fix your bike several times before you remotely had a chance to cry lemon law. Also the launch control isn't keeping you from riding it. It's not Kaws fault you chose to buy a bike from a dealer that's 40 mins away.

The only real issue is the launch control not working, I would be willing to bet you're doing something wrong. Is your idle set too high? I thought I had an issue with my 18 Crf450 because it wouldn't switch maps, once I educated myself I figured out that my idle was set too high..
everything is stock so I don't think that's the case.
BR8ES
5/30/2019 11:06am
will4796 wrote:
49weasel wrote:
No lemon law on competition vehicles. Quickest way for a dealer or Kaw not to help is to threaten lemon law. Even if there was a...

will4796 wrote:
everything is stock so I don't think that's the case.
What you think and what is reality of a law are 2 entirely different things.
Shaggin589
5/30/2019 11:13am
I can’t believe there is even talk of a lemon law in this thread for some silencer packing, a couple ounces of filter oil and probably an easy fix launch control issue. What is this world coming to
byke
5/30/2019 11:25am
A fellow I knew used to say, "morals are a wonderful thing, if you can afford them". My guess is he's young and financed a bike with a shitty rate paying $250 a month for four years on a rapidly depreciating asset and it's cutting the finances too close and he's looking for a way out.
5/30/2019 11:25am
I think I'm the only one that sees why this guy isn't happy. I've never bought a brand new bike before, but I'd hope it would come ready to ride with no issues. I also live an hour away from the nearest dealer (which is shit) and wouldn't want to take time off work to deal with it.
Madmax31
Fantasy
128th
5/30/2019 11:33am
People just want to jump his ass cause they have KX hardons.
Markee
Fantasy
2006th
5/30/2019 12:14pm
Every time I buy a new bike I miss work and loose gas money to get the filtered oiled from the dealership, I'll learn one day!

Post a reply to: Brand New bike that has problems immediately

The Latest