Brake combos

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2017 10:44 AM

Tried in it race shop but no one goes there.

Ive been looking into what I want to do with my 2011 yz250.
A lot of people say to swap out a Honda master cylinder.
Honda pads in pre 08 calipers.
Some say swap out the caliper and master cylinder for Honda units. but this was mostly recommended for YZs before the 08 caliper change.
And mxa once said they liked the brembo master cylinder with the Honda caliper. That is what geico Honda does.
Brembo caliper would be nice but it won't mount without modification.

So other than rotor and braided line what is the best set up for 08+ yz? Or any yamaha really.

|

12/10/2017 10:51 AM

Zesiger 112 wrote:

Tried in it race shop but no one goes there.

Ive been looking into what I want to do with my 2011 yz250.
A lot of people say to swap out a Honda master cylinder.
Honda pads in pre 08 calipers.
Some say swap out the caliper and master cylinder for Honda units. but this was mostly recommended for YZs before the 08 caliper change.
And mxa once said they liked the brembo master cylinder with the Honda caliper. That is what geico Honda does.
Brembo caliper would be nice but it won't mount without modification.

So other than rotor and braided line what is the best set up for 08+ yz? Or any yamaha really.

Just as a note; the GEICO Honda team used a Brembo master cylinder with a works Nissin caliper, not a production version. Not all their riders used it either and as of late, none are using it...at least as far as I noticed.

|

12/10/2017 10:55 AM

ML512 wrote:

Just as a note; the GEICO Honda team used a Brembo master cylinder with a works Nissin caliper, not a production version. Not all their riders used it either and as of late, none are using it...at least as far as I noticed.

Yeah I did consider that when I was looking into it. I guess I need to get some buddies to swap parts with me at the track.

|

12/10/2017 11:42 AM

I used a Honda caliper and master cylinder on my yz with a galfer 270mm rotor and SS brake line, it's incredible. Very firm at the lever and stops fast.

|

12/10/2017 11:48 AM

Would this same approach work for an ‘05 RM125?

|

12/10/2017 12:12 PM

Jmicmoto13 wrote:

Would this same approach work for an ‘05 RM125?

I just did the same on my '08 Rm250. I think the biggest improvement is in the master cylinder, from what I've read the caliper is much the same as the Honda in piston size, ect. Although I have yet to ride (its winter up here) the feeling at the lever is 110% better. SS brake line, Honda master and 270 mm rotor and you'll be golden.

|

12/10/2017 2:30 PM

beamer wrote:

I just did the same on my '08 Rm250. I think the biggest improvement is in the master cylinder, from what I've read the caliper is much the same as the Honda in piston size, ect. Although I have yet to ride (its winter up here) the feeling at the lever is 110% better. SS brake line, Honda master and 270 mm rotor and you'll be golden.

Awesome. Thank you for that. Any particular year Honda master cylinder? And it was a SS Suzuki line or a Honda line to the OE caliper?

|

12/10/2017 4:50 PM

Jmicmoto13 wrote:

Would this same approach work for an ‘05 RM125?

beamer wrote:

I just did the same on my '08 Rm250. I think the biggest improvement is in the master cylinder, from what I've read the caliper is much the same as the Honda in piston size, ect. Although I have yet to ride (its winter up here) the feeling at the lever is 110% better. SS brake line, Honda master and 270 mm rotor and you'll be golden.

Jmicmoto13 wrote:

Awesome. Thank you for that. Any particular year Honda master cylinder? And it was a SS Suzuki line or a Honda line to the OE caliper?

I bought a master from a 2012 crf but I do believe anything from 2008 up is the same. I bought a set of front and rear lines from core moto, $100 front and back. You can run the stock Suzuki spec lines and it will bolt right up to the new master without a problem.

|

12/10/2017 5:16 PM

beamer wrote:

I bought a master from a 2012 crf but I do believe anything from 2008 up is the same. I bought a set of front and rear lines from core moto, $100 front and back. You can run the stock Suzuki spec lines and it will bolt right up to the new master without a problem.

Thank you my friend. Sounds like a good Christmas project.

|

12/10/2017 5:18 PM

On my 15 I used the Honda master cylinder and line from an 04 crf250. I don't think the caliper will make much of a difference, so I just used the stock yz one. I also ran a floating oversized rotor for a long time, but recently I switched to a solid oversized rotor and the feel is a lot better.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com



12/10/2017 5:48 PM

08' cr450f caliper line and master, braking 270 solid mount rotor, ebc red pads, almost too much.

|

12/10/2017 5:53 PM

I Have a 05 yz250 and run a brembo master from like a ktm Exc off eBay and then a braking USA oversized rotor and I’ve been really happy with it

|

12/10/2017 6:31 PM

Personally i found the stainless brake line not to my liking.
It produced a solid feel to the lever, i used just a crf master cylinder alone.
A solid feel to the lever and braking pwer are two diffent objectives, do you want both.

|

12/11/2017 12:25 AM

As above, a CRF master cylinder alone is a great mod. But I'm also currently using a CRF front caliper as well and really like it.
However I think a lot of the added power and bite is down to the stock Nissin pads I'm running. They are better than any other pad I have tried

|

@russ_69

12/11/2017 2:14 AM

Jmicmoto13 wrote:

Would this same approach work for an ‘05 RM125?

Just put brembo MC, stainless KTM brake line and Galfer 270mm kit up front on my 05 RM. All I can say is I have to be really careful with the front brakes now.

|