Brad Lackey's 1978 RC500M Honda.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 2/17/2016 8:16am
Just arrived back on American soil. Identical to the one I picked up recently. Having two of these beauties next to each other after all these years is very cool to say the least. Other than the handlebars, seat and fenders, nearly nothing else on the entire bike could be considered a stock part. Even a good portion of the misc. hardware and bolts on the bike that are not titanium are still specially machined parts.

As featured in VMX Magazine back in 2000

Fresh off the plane from Australia.

Shipped with the factory works rear strut in place. Fox Airs boxed separately. These struts were used to transport the bikes while allowing the suspension to be serviced.

Lightweight magnesium hubs had steel spoke retainer rings to beef things up. MIsc. ti bits, and drilled out everything else. 41mm works Showa forks knurled uppers to prevent slippage in the upper magnesium clamp.

Several years before Honda even offered an open class bike to the public, they had an open checkbook going on with the works bikes of the day. The square downtube and backbone were unique to the 78 RC. The sand cast cylinder and head are huge, sand cast cases, full ti treatment on the engine, multi piece fiberglass airbox and the $10,000.00 magnesium carb to go along with the $10,000.00 laser welded, hollow journal, snap ring retained, interchangeable weight crankshaft. Displaced 450cc and cranked out 62 hp.

|
Hoodie
4/1/2013 12:12pm Edited Date/Time 4/1/2013 12:13pm
How much does it weight?
newmann
4/1/2013 12:59pm
Hoodie wrote:
How much does it weight?
208 lbs. rumored, if I remember correctly. Eventually as I get mine all together it will be weighed properly.

The Shop

bents
Fantasy
909th
4/1/2013 1:40pm
You must have Mafia connections Newmann....in my next life I want to come back as you, or at least have your collection in my garage! What's is the plan with the bike?
yam261
4/1/2013 4:35pm
Can you get a video of it running. I want to hear it.
PTshox
4/1/2013 5:00pm
What did that bad boy cost you in US $?
CR250Rider
4/1/2013 8:16pm
Best thread here in a loong time, GuyB should kiss your feet Newman, this bike exudes cool and you posted it here

TerryK
4/1/2013 8:22pm
Simply beautiful Newmann! In my opinion, this is one of the top ten most iconic bikes in motocross history. Incredible.
4/1/2013 8:29pm
Lucky Dude or good gumpin'Laughing Very nice to find 2 lined up like these.Effin nice
newmann
4/1/2013 8:49pm
TerryK wrote:
Simply beautiful Newmann! In my opinion, this is one of the top ten most iconic bikes in motocross history. Incredible.
As a kid, these bikes were almost mythical to me. As an adult, albeit a childlike one, they still are. Since getting sucked into the whole vintage mx scene 22 years ago I've been able to collect a few cool things , even a works bike or two. But owning a true to life RC Honda was just one of those things I pretty much never thought would happen. While searching this one out and making a deal for a customer, I stumbled across another identical bike and was actually able to purchase for myself. I had to sell off a thing.....or two, but I was hypnotized by that point. Smile It's missing a few pieces, but will soon be complete prepped, fired up and even ridden a lap or two.

CamP
4/1/2013 9:19pm
Lots of good RC500 footage in this vid.

BobbyM
4/1/2013 10:49pm Edited Date/Time 4/2/2013 5:22am
newmann wrote:
Just arrived back on American soil. Identical to the one I picked up recently. Having two of these beauties next to each other after all these...
Just arrived back on American soil. Identical to the one I picked up recently. Having two of these beauties next to each other after all these years is very cool to say the least. Other than the handlebars, seat and fenders, nearly nothing else on the entire bike could be considered a stock part. Even a good portion of the misc. hardware and bolts on the bike that are not titanium are still specially machined parts.

As featured in VMX Magazine back in 2000

Fresh off the plane from Australia.

Shipped with the factory works rear strut in place. Fox Airs boxed separately. These struts were used to transport the bikes while allowing the suspension to be serviced.

Lightweight magnesium hubs had steel spoke retainer rings to beef things up. MIsc. ti bits, and drilled out everything else. 41mm works Showa forks knurled uppers to prevent slippage in the upper magnesium clamp.

Several years before Honda even offered an open class bike to the public, they had an open checkbook going on with the works bikes of the day. The square downtube and backbone were unique to the 78 RC. The sand cast cylinder and head are huge, sand cast cases, full ti treatment on the engine, multi piece fiberglass airbox and the $10,000.00 magnesium carb to go along with the $10,000.00 laser welded, hollow journal, snap ring retained, interchangeable weight crankshaft. Displaced 450cc and cranked out 62 hp.

fuggen badass newman...i watched that scooter and bad brad lay waste to more than a few racers back then. bigtime power like nobodies bidness if i remember right.

and my real question is what the fuck is a hodaka wolverine?
yam261
4/2/2013 4:59am
CamP wrote:
Lots of good RC500 footage in this vid.

Thanks for posting this video, it was awsome.
TJorski
4/2/2013 5:28am
TerryK wrote:
newmann wrote:
As a kid, these bikes were almost mythical to me. As an adult, albeit a childlike one, they still are. Since getting sucked into the whole...
As a kid, these bikes were almost mythical to me. As an adult, albeit a childlike one, they still are. Since getting sucked into the whole vintage mx scene 22 years ago I've been able to collect a few cool things , even a works bike or two. But owning a true to life RC Honda was just one of those things I pretty much never thought would happen. While searching this one out and making a deal for a customer, I stumbled across another identical bike and was actually able to purchase for myself. I had to sell off a thing.....or two, but I was hypnotized by that point. Smile It's missing a few pieces, but will soon be complete prepped, fired up and even ridden a lap or two.

Man I wish I was the guy getting to ride it a lap or 2. Very Nice!
4/2/2013 6:34am
TerryK wrote:
newmann wrote:
As a kid, these bikes were almost mythical to me. As an adult, albeit a childlike one, they still are. Since getting sucked into the whole...

TJorski wrote:
Man I wish I was the guy getting to ride it a lap or 2. Very Nice!
That would be very interesting too.
nytsmaC
4/2/2013 9:51am
That thing is unbelievable, you lucky SOB! Bikes of this era usually don't do much for me since they were before my time, but that one, wow..
just James
4/2/2013 10:09pm
Let me know when you get 'er all spiffed up. I'd be so kind as to take her for a couple of laps for you. Just to make sure everything is up to par. After all, I used to ride a '79 CR250R, and it too was red, with the kick start on the left. How much difference could there possibly be?Laughing
4/3/2013 1:56am
just James wrote:
Let me know when you get 'er all spiffed up. I'd be so kind as to take her for a couple of laps for you. Just...
Let me know when you get 'er all spiffed up. I'd be so kind as to take her for a couple of laps for you. Just to make sure everything is up to par. After all, I used to ride a '79 CR250R, and it too was red, with the kick start on the left. How much difference could there possibly be?Laughing
Smile
newmann
4/3/2013 8:51am
Sorry for the crappy pic, but two of these gems occopying the same floor space just seemed worth mentioning. In 1978 these were valued at $80,000.00 per copy. Considering everything that goes into building every single part of these from scratch to only mfg. a couple dozen bikes that seems like a low number even for 1978.

Wandell
4/3/2013 10:25am
Amazing pieces of history!
Tbteam
4/3/2013 10:39am Edited Date/Time 4/3/2013 10:40am
Dammit Joe! You did it again!
Pauliemon
9/10/2015 9:07pm

Then you'll like these. These were some of his first rides for Honda. 1977 or 78 Golden State Series at Prairie City OHV Park. I'm not sure of the year.
Pauliemon
9/10/2015 9:11pm
Sorry for the poor quality. I took pictures of pictures with my phone.

Post a reply to: Brad Lackey's 1978 RC500M Honda.

The Latest