Box Van Set Ups?

ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
6/2/2010 5:51am
That's a sweet rig you have Newmann!! I'm not fast enough to show up with something like that. lol.
huck
6/2/2010 6:01am
I think it's "core" when assholes tell other people how they should be spending their money!!!
Racer92
6/2/2010 6:12am
ky_savage wrote:
That's a sweet rig you have Newmann!! I'm not fast enough to show up with something like that. lol.
Fast enough? Whats that hafta do with it?

If I had the scratch to buy a nice rig like that I wouldnt give 2-shits what anyone said about how 'fast' I was or wasnt. I just love it when local yahoos talk about how 'fast' they are, totally cracks me up. 'Fast' guys are making the gate at Nationals and SX races, everyone else is varying levels of slow.

Huck, when you gonna show us your sweet 5th wheel rig ?

6/2/2010 6:12am
my 14 year old box truck with plywood walls hauls six bikes. not that pretty, but gets the job done. we also use it for hauling furniture, going fishing and other lame ass stuff. it's not the only transporter that i have, but it did haul six people and four bikes to every national arenacross in 2005. with over 200,000 miles and 13 miles to the gallon, it stays within 200 miles of the home 20 now. david, glad you didn't call me an asshole.......

The Shop

ky_savage
Fantasy
490th
6/2/2010 6:15am
ky_savage wrote:
Racer92 wrote:
Fast enough? Whats that hafta do with it? If I had the scratch to buy a nice rig like that I wouldnt give 2-shits what anyone...

If I had the scratch to buy a nice rig like that I wouldnt give 2-shits what anyone said about how 'fast' I was or wasnt. I just love it when local yahoos talk about how 'fast' they are, totally cracks me up. 'Fast' guys are making the gate at Nationals and SX races, everyone else is varying levels of slow.

I'm all for anyone who can have things like that to get them by all means. For me it would add more pressure to perform than I already put on myself. It would be cool to have though.
aedwards07
6/2/2010 8:33am
What does fast have anything to do with it?Hes apparently worked hard enough to afford something like that.If I worked that hard and can afford it I would get it to as would many other people.Right now ill stick with my truck and toy hauler but one day I would love to have one.
huck
6/2/2010 8:41am
ky_savage wrote:
Racer92 wrote:
Fast enough? Whats that hafta do with it? If I had the scratch to buy a nice rig like that I wouldnt give 2-shits what anyone...

I'm not fast enough to post pictures of it.

-----------

Oh, and DBM, I don't have to call you an asshole...people that know you, know the truth!! Wink
nytsmaC
6/2/2010 8:42am
If Dickhead1 sees that rig parked at the races he'd probably key it. He probably has a dead end job with no ambition or work ethic, and can't comprehend that some people own nicer stuff than he'll ever have because they work their ass off for it.
Racer92
6/2/2010 8:49am
huck wrote:
I'm not fast enough to post pictures of it. ----------- Oh, and DBM, I don't have to call you an asshole...people that know you, know the...

-----------

Oh, and DBM, I don't have to call you an asshole...people that know you, know the truth!! Wink
Oh quit being modest, I wanna see yer toyhauler, dammit.

Ms. Huck in a bikini modeling said trailer would be fine, too.
huck
6/2/2010 8:51am
huck wrote:
I'm not fast enough to post pictures of it. ----------- Oh, and DBM, I don't have to call you an asshole...people that know you, know the...

-----------

Racer92 wrote:
Oh quit being modest, I wanna see yer toyhauler, dammit.

Ms. Huck in a bikini modeling said trailer would be fine, too.
I'll work on that...the toyhauler picture! lol

The wife and kids are in Florida...so the picture will be without any models.
nytsmaC
6/2/2010 8:54am
Post it huck, I want to see it too.. Plus it will drive you-know-who into a jealous rage!
5/16/2022 8:48am
mxnick wrote:
Ah the mighty box van! Bring us back to 1991 and let’s get down to it! There are plenty of empty ones out there, but setting...
Ah the mighty box van! Bring us back to 1991 and let’s get down to it!

There are plenty of empty ones out there, but setting one up properly (and so it looks nice) is a big job. It is best to buy one that is already built and set up for MX by someone else. Finding one can be hard, as most people are not building these anymore, so you are looking at one that is likely going to be older than a 97 model or so. The good news is the price is usually cheap! Look in Cycle News, Ebay, Craig’s List and some of the more popular Moto/off road Forums, as there are some out there.

The best body style to get is a Grumman Olsen all aluminum body. These can be very hard to find however, and Grumman Olsen (truck bodies) went out of biz back in 2002 or so. Best case scenario, regardless of who makes the body, is to get a body style that has swing out (aka: “barn doors”) on the back. Roll up doors are messy, ugly and take up a TON of space that can be otherwise utilized for storage of clunky items such as hoses, cords, overhead lighting and lawn chairs, brooms and other large tools that most races are likely to carry with them.

Once you have those basics, it is all about the interior layout. I once had a Ford 16’ with an overhang. It resulted in a ton of usable space between the rear doors, ceiling, overhang and various other areas. I had a 12’ shop and 4’ living area with overhang. I basically had a sleeping area up front that was plush and sealed off from the back. It was simple, comfortable and practical for sleeping at the track or in truckstops. I would sleep 1-2 nights in the truck, shower with the power wash and have other friends with motorhomes that cooked.

My truck was also set up so that everything that I owned for racing was fully contained, and never had to come out when I was at home.

The back included special and secure “slots” for the following:

All spare parts for bikes (levers, pistons, forks, plastic etc etc)
Tire Rack for up to 12 tires/wheels
EZ Up (10x10)
Lawn Chairs (4-6)
Garden Hoses and wash lines
Pressure wash (permanently mounted under the truck)
Tool Box and all tools
Parts Washer
Air compressor and various air lines on bench and out the back
Helmet and gear storage
Google storage and supplies
Dirty Gear
Extra plastic
Gas cans (3 - 5 gallon race jugs)
Oils and Lubes (with separate countersunk holes for up to 15 aerosol cans and 10 cans of oil and or premix oil)
120 gallon pressurized water tank
microwave
Enough overhead fluorescent lighting to have solved the Vegas SX blackout in ‘95
Event the Mountain bike had a place to hang that was secure and out of the way.

I am sure there was more I cant think of, but layout your items and find a place for everything…..

It made packing and traveling super, super easy, because the truck was ALWAYS ready to go. Everything had a special place that I had built into it. When I was at home, I just backed it up to my garage and opened it up, and was able to work directly out of the back. I did not have a home workshop, except in the wintertime.

Many people who set up a van mount kitchen cabinets and countertops and don’t really give much thought to making maximum use of available space, and building things specifically for the items that you personally travel with.

I think the best suggestion is to simple take all the items that you bring to the races into consideration and make a place for them. The only items that I did not have a place for was a BBQ and my cooler, which always just sat on the floor of the truck when it was in motion. Good luck.
Excellent write up yeah I,m sure that it’s a huge project. I,ve been looking for a g20 van or a express the good ones that r priced rt r gone asap. I,ve noticed box vans with the airow panel ovr the cab selling for 5,500 -10k. What would b the best insulating material for the box ? I used home insulation with white paneling on a van I did. It kept it really cool.

Post a reply to: Box Van Set Ups?

The Latest