Boots with best (durable) soles?

flykay
Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 11:45am
Sorry if there is a thread on this subject (Moderator could just post link and close this then).

The thing is, even though I use stock like footpegs, I tend to wear down the left sole in just 10-15 hours of riding (MX) depending boot. I often buy mid-high cost boots. I have used several generations of Alpinestars Tech 7:s and changed my fair share of mid sole inserts. But I am sick and tired of that. If someone does not come up with other suggestions, I will give the Sidi SRS boots a try (the model with the screw on soles). But if these are soft as well, and I have to change these as often as say Tech 7 inserts, it will get expensive!!!

Also, I keep my equipment in good condition, so the boots are barely broken in at the time the sole is all chewed up Sad That sucks!

Could it be so that Gaerne's boots have tougher soles? I have note tried these yet either.

Also, If there are any European guys out there, does anyone know of a re-soling company in Europe?

Looking forward to some feedback, have a nice weekend y'all!
|
mmcmx
2/8/2019 1:12pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 1:13pm
I used to have the same problem. I bought a pair of Gaerne SG 10 in 2011 and still ride them, only changed soles once in both. I buy the sole and then bring the boot to the same place the mrs gets her shoes fixed to do it, charged me 20 € last time I think.
flykay
2/8/2019 1:24pm
mmcmx wrote:
I used to have the same problem. I bought a pair of Gaerne SG 10 in 2011 and still ride them, only changed soles once in...
I used to have the same problem. I bought a pair of Gaerne SG 10 in 2011 and still ride them, only changed soles once in both. I buy the sole and then bring the boot to the same place the mrs gets her shoes fixed to do it, charged me 20 € last time I think.
Hey mmcmx! Thanks for your input and information on the SG10's. Also, I was wondering if "ordinary shoemakers" could fix MX boots. Definitely worth checking up now after your experience, thanks!
Titan1
2/8/2019 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 1:30pm
I have the Sidi SRS...love it. Just buy new screws when you buy new soles....My pegs ruined the screws around the ball of my foot and I couldn't get them out with a screw driver, I had to cut the sole out with a blade, and then pull the screws out with pliers.
Renner153
Fantasy
3578th
2/8/2019 1:31pm
Do yourself a favor and get some TCX boots. The soles last forever.

The Shop

peelout
2/8/2019 1:35pm
this is a hard one to answer

some people are really really hard on the soles and others are not.

i've had a pair of Tech 10's for 4 years, well over 4,000 miles offroad, and the soles are in great shape. a buddy of mine has had a pair for about a year, not even a fraction of the mileage/time as i have, and they are trashed.
crowe176
2/8/2019 1:41pm
You can pick up replacement sole's for almost any boot for cheap. (ebay) Find a local shoe cobbler, and they can usually swap them out. I've had old tech 8's and sg10's replaced for less than a hundred.

I would rather have a good grippy softer sole and have to replace them, than have to run a boot with a stiff sole.
flykay
2/8/2019 1:44pm
crowe176 wrote:
You can pick up replacement sole's for almost any boot for cheap. (ebay) Find a local shoe cobbler, and they can usually swap them out. I've...
You can pick up replacement sole's for almost any boot for cheap. (ebay) Find a local shoe cobbler, and they can usually swap them out. I've had old tech 8's and sg10's replaced for less than a hundred.

I would rather have a good grippy softer sole and have to replace them, than have to run a boot with a stiff sole.
Hey crowe176, yes I know! Smile I have replaced several inserts and Alpinestar soles. I am just tired of doing this after such short period of use. Hence, I would like get to hear other riders experiences on soles and the brand/models durability! Smile Thanks!
2/8/2019 1:48pm
I vote for SG12's, had them since 2013 and although I don't ride all year round, when I do it's all summer.

Still in great shape and really are a great boot, but I have just parted ways with them....

I am looking into something else for this year, as the SG12 is one stiff boot man!. Tried on a pair of 2016 model AStars and was much more supple, I do (did) mis-shift a few times in a day and when I had a blast with the Astars on no mis-shift's at all!. But as you have said FlyKay, the soles on the Astars are crap.... The whole reason I went over to SG12's in the first place, then I was set to buy some of the new 2019 Astars but read that they are stiff and someone even said that they are going to release another revised boot soon?!..... Not sure I believe that but I am not buying nothing atm.

Try some SG's, they are awesome but bloody stiff!. Good luck.
flykay
2/8/2019 1:48pm
I might as well list the last couple of years boots I have worn which is several Alpinestar Tech 7's and now this year I have tried Forma Comp 2 (They wore down after maximum 8 hours).
flykay
2/8/2019 1:53pm
#76 wrote:
I vote for SG12's, had them since 2013 and although I don't ride all year round, when I do it's all summer. Still in great shape...
I vote for SG12's, had them since 2013 and although I don't ride all year round, when I do it's all summer.

Still in great shape and really are a great boot, but I have just parted ways with them....

I am looking into something else for this year, as the SG12 is one stiff boot man!. Tried on a pair of 2016 model AStars and was much more supple, I do (did) mis-shift a few times in a day and when I had a blast with the Astars on no mis-shift's at all!. But as you have said FlyKay, the soles on the Astars are crap.... The whole reason I went over to SG12's in the first place, then I was set to buy some of the new 2019 Astars but read that they are stiff and someone even said that they are going to release another revised boot soon?!..... Not sure I believe that but I am not buying nothing atm.

Hey #76, thanks for your input. I have SG12's in stock and I have been ohso close dragging them out in the dirt Smile But as you mentioned, they feel quite stiff. Also, as I want at least 2 pairs in different colors to have one pair fresh to second moto if muddy, and the SG12's are quite expensive.
BTW, you've got my number! ? (76)
2/8/2019 1:57pm
Been riding with sg12s since 2013, recently bought a new pair and again sg12, very durable boots, a little stiff but i don’t like flex where bones are..
Racerxx
2/8/2019 2:10pm
I've been in Gaernes since 1999 soles seem to hold up a lot longer than my friends boots. The SG10 aren't as stiff as the SG12's and hold up just as good. They may cost more up front but they seem to last longer than most other brands. I keep a pair of older boots for trail riding and mud races and use a newer pair for motocross both soles are still in great shape. Oh and ride on the balls of your feet
2/8/2019 2:14pm Edited Date/Time 2/8/2019 2:15pm
peelout wrote:
this is a hard one to answer some people are really really hard on the soles and others are not. i've had a pair of Tech...

i've had a pair of Tech 10's for 4 years, well over 4,000 miles offroad, and the soles are in great shape. a buddy of mine has had a pair for about a year, not even a fraction of the mileage/time as i have, and they are trashed.
I can vouch for this. Doesn't matter what boots I run, the soles won't last any more than 20 hours yet some people run the same boots for 5 years and don't wear them out.

This is why I wear Tech 10's. I can swap the soles easily myself at home.
flykay
2/8/2019 2:15pm
Racerxx wrote:
I've been in Gaernes since 1999 soles seem to hold up a lot longer than my friends boots. The SG10 aren't as stiff as the SG12's...
I've been in Gaernes since 1999 soles seem to hold up a lot longer than my friends boots. The SG10 aren't as stiff as the SG12's and hold up just as good. They may cost more up front but they seem to last longer than most other brands. I keep a pair of older boots for trail riding and mud races and use a newer pair for motocross both soles are still in great shape. Oh and ride on the balls of your feet
Hey Racerxx, thanks for your input! Smile But man, the last part is tough! Wish I could re-program my brain and body and ride on the balls... But it's though when you have reached the 40's and have a habit the incorrect position Sad (I stand somewhere in between on the ball and the arch of the foot)
Spooner
2/8/2019 5:20pm
#76 wrote:
I vote for SG12's, had them since 2013 and although I don't ride all year round, when I do it's all summer. Still in great shape...

I’m wearing the new tech 10 and have the A1 LE boots which are supposedly ‘updated’. I tried them on back to back with the first batch of new tech 10’s and I really don’t think I could tell a difference. I don’t have much time in the new ones but I’d say when brand new they feel a little stiffer than the old version but they broke in pretty fast and now feel a little more flexible than the old ones. Especially when flexing your foot downward so you get even better feel down shifting and braking.
mmcmx
2/9/2019 2:45am Edited Date/Time 2/9/2019 2:50am
Indeed, like others have mentioned Gaerne boots are on the stiffer side, they aren't very comfortable on the first rides, but in the long term it pays dividends.
I prefer sg10 over sg12 because they are lighter and with a narrower toe box, better for shifting, which is very important for big foots like me. I also have a pretty wide feet, which again the gearnes really suit me while for example Sidi's are for a more narrow feet.

About riding on the balls of your feet, older bikes used to have very narrow footpegs, when I bought some wide footpegs it really helped with not feelig so easily stuck in one position, sole life vastly improved too.

Plus, from time to time I spray whale oil all over them, that really helps the leather last longer and feel softer. Mine are 7 years old and still in good condition. I also use it on the leather in the inside of the pants after every wash, it works wonders.
kb228
2/9/2019 3:19am
Hope you guys are right on the sg12s. Just ordered a pair of the LEs lol.

I have a pair of shift boots in my garage that are at least 5 years old and the soles arent too bad. Depends on the rider i think. Destroying soles in a year is bizzare to me.
Motofinne
2/9/2019 3:37am
The problems with boots and their durability is that everyone is different. Some riders can use a pair of high-end boots for 6 months or less before they are completely trashed. Some are able to get years with the boots.

Personally the sole durability is low on my list of what i look in a boot. Ankle protection is by far the most important thing for me so i ride with Tech 10s. If the sole gets worn out i can always replace it.

Also having 2 or more boots is a good thing, especially if you ride a lot. Very few boots are going to withstand 70-80h of riding in one year. If you have 2 you can mix it up and they might last a bit longer.
Lastander
2/9/2019 4:28am
Renner153 wrote:
Tcx are pure thrash, my soles was actually the only thing that didnt break, i barely got 50 hours before i had several holes in my boots.

I get around 125-150 hours on my tech 10s before they get punctured by the shifter, but the soles are still fine
c0ncEpT
2/9/2019 4:37am
Sidi SRS are easy to replace but do wear out quickly. I wore a pair of soles out in 1 year (about 40 hours).
cody41
2/9/2019 5:44am
Key note: do not sharpen your stock foot pegs- that will destroy your soles. If you want more grip, pick up a pair or raptor or pro pegs. It looks like they will shred your soles, but they actually don’t due to the larger contact patch.
kkawboy14
2/9/2019 7:49am
Only 10-15 hours with stock pegs? That doesn’t seem possible.
Motofinne
2/9/2019 8:06am
cody41 wrote:
Key note: do not sharpen your stock foot pegs- that will destroy your soles. If you want more grip, pick up a pair or raptor or...
Key note: do not sharpen your stock foot pegs- that will destroy your soles. If you want more grip, pick up a pair or raptor or pro pegs. It looks like they will shred your soles, but they actually don’t due to the larger contact patch.
Very good tip. I have had my Twenty Ti Pegs for about 20h now and they aren't tougher for the soles compared to stock pegs.
flykay
2/9/2019 10:57am
mmcmx wrote:
Indeed, like others have mentioned Gaerne boots are on the stiffer side, they aren't very comfortable on the first rides, but in the long term it...
Indeed, like others have mentioned Gaerne boots are on the stiffer side, they aren't very comfortable on the first rides, but in the long term it pays dividends.
I prefer sg10 over sg12 because they are lighter and with a narrower toe box, better for shifting, which is very important for big foots like me. I also have a pretty wide feet, which again the gearnes really suit me while for example Sidi's are for a more narrow feet.

About riding on the balls of your feet, older bikes used to have very narrow footpegs, when I bought some wide footpegs it really helped with not feelig so easily stuck in one position, sole life vastly improved too.

Plus, from time to time I spray whale oil all over them, that really helps the leather last longer and feel softer. Mine are 7 years old and still in good condition. I also use it on the leather in the inside of the pants after every wash, it works wonders.

Good input on the toebox and width on the Gaerne/Sidi mmcmx, thanks! I had multiple fractures in my right foot and its almost 15mm wider then the left ? And when I have to narrow shoes or boots, this foot gets sore and hurts bad! So, I probably cannot use the Sidi's then ?
flykay
2/9/2019 11:02am
Renner153 wrote:
Lastander wrote:
Tcx are pure thrash, my soles was actually the only thing that didnt break, i barely got 50 hours before i had several holes in my...
Tcx are pure thrash, my soles was actually the only thing that didnt break, i barely got 50 hours before i had several holes in my boots.

I get around 125-150 hours on my tech 10s before they get punctured by the shifter, but the soles are still fine
125-150 hours on Tech 10's is unreal!!! ? Lyckliga du! ?
Lastander
2/9/2019 11:04am
Renner153 wrote:
Lastander wrote:
Tcx are pure thrash, my soles was actually the only thing that didnt break, i barely got 50 hours before i had several holes in my...

flykay wrote:
125-150 hours on Tech 10's is unreal!!! ? Lyckliga du! ?
Det har sina fördelar att väga 68kgLaughing
flykay
2/9/2019 11:04am
kkawboy14 wrote:
Only 10-15 hours with stock pegs? That doesn’t seem possible.
I know!!! And on my latest Forma, not even 10 hours! ? That's why I wanted to get input before buying my next pair.
flykay
2/9/2019 11:06am
cody41 wrote:
Key note: do not sharpen your stock foot pegs- that will destroy your soles. If you want more grip, pick up a pair or raptor or...
Motofinne wrote:
Very good tip. I have had my Twenty Ti Pegs for about 20h now and they aren't tougher for the soles compared to stock pegs.
That's really surprising!!! Good info, thanks! ?
cwtoyota
2/9/2019 11:14am
peelout wrote:
this is a hard one to answer some people are really really hard on the soles and others are not. i've had a pair of Tech...

That's the deal.

I wear Gaerne SG12 and so does one of my riding buddies.

I ride more engine hourse per year than he does, stand up a ton and move around a lot on the bike. My boot soles outlast the rest of the boot. Eventually I wear through the plastic where it touches the frame, but that takes almost two years of riding racing.

He is 20 years older and about 40 lbs heavier and rides with his boots in the same place on the pegs but he stands up plenty of the time. He wears a foot-peg shaped notch in the soles right in the arch where he stands. That happens long before the rest of the boot wears out. Still, I think he got almost two years out of his SG-12 boots.

I never really had trouble with the Alpinestars soles either. I had them all the way back since the 1990s, and only switched to Gaerne about 5 years ago.
flykay
2/9/2019 11:20am
peelout wrote:

cwtoyota wrote:
That's the deal. I wear Gaerne SG12 and so does one of my riding buddies. I ride more engine hourse per year than he does, stand...
That's the deal.

I wear Gaerne SG12 and so does one of my riding buddies.

I ride more engine hourse per year than he does, stand up a ton and move around a lot on the bike. My boot soles outlast the rest of the boot. Eventually I wear through the plastic where it touches the frame, but that takes almost two years of riding racing.

He is 20 years older and about 40 lbs heavier and rides with his boots in the same place on the pegs but he stands up plenty of the time. He wears a foot-peg shaped notch in the soles right in the arch where he stands. That happens long before the rest of the boot wears out. Still, I think he got almost two years out of his SG-12 boots.

I never really had trouble with the Alpinestars soles either. I had them all the way back since the 1990s, and only switched to Gaerne about 5 years ago.
cwtoyota, I wish I could move around (and toss around the bike) more, but it's hard to change your riding style when you have past 40 ?
I believe there is something to it (standing alot on the same spot). I am fairly lightweight though. I wonder if riding 2-stokes with the vibrations has a part of the "fast wearing"!?

Post a reply to: Boots with best (durable) soles?

The Latest