Boots for injured ankle, SG12 / tech 7

Related:
Create New Tag

2/19/2018 3:37 AM

Hi.

Last easter i was riding when i got cross rutted on a jump face, this resulted in a couple of hucka bucks where i landed with my toes on the pegs and hyperextended my ankle shattering it.
So today i have it buildt up with 19 screws and 3 plates.

So the question, i rode with the tech 7 boots when this happend, and i used tech 7 when i came back to riding, but its time to replace the boots anyway.

My choise is between the Gaerne SG12 and the alpinestars tech 7.
i have bought a set of tech 10 but the inner bootie is rubbing one of the screws on my inner ankle joint.

I am looking for the best ankle support but yet comfort at the same time.

|

2/19/2018 3:48 AM

I shattered my ankle casing a double with Tech 7's. Nice comfortable boots but I feel ankle support simply is not the best. Sidi Crossfire 3's on the way. I tried some Fox Instincts but after wearing those for a bit the tops of my feet would start to hurt.

|

2/19/2018 3:51 AM

Have you thought about ankle savers foot pegs?

|

2/19/2018 3:58 AM

I have also tried the sidi`s but they kind of pinch my foot in a wierd way.

I have also considered the ankle savers as i saw them in Stankdog videoes and they look genius, but regardless i need new boots and i want to do all i can to protect what is left of my ankles, both boots and pegs.

|

2/19/2018 3:58 AM

Tech 7s are way too soft. I bought them once for Enduro riding. Comfortable and all but if you can fold the whole boot together with your hands, it just can't be protective enough...
Buy sg12 or sidi

|

2/19/2018 4:02 AM

I broke my ankle in 2010 because of Tech7. They are comfortable but doesn't offer much protection agains angle injuries. I broke my other ankle really badly in 2013 (13 screws and 2 plates). I was using the Tech 10 but it wasn't the boots fault. The boots did the job it has to do but the crash was really bad (imagine tumbling down glen helen with your feet stuck in the bike...). I couldn't wear the Tech10 after has my plates were rubbing against the inner boots. I switched to the SG12 and it was perfert. I used the SG12 for over 140 hours and it's still really protective compare to any other boots I had before (Tech 7-8-10 and Forma Predator). You can't go wrong with them. They are pricy and heavier than some other boots but it worth it. I prefer the Tech10 fit for shifting but I prefer to be able to ride without pain.

BTW if possible whenever you can get rid of the screws and plates it's a smal surgery, in 1 days you'll be able to work and it feel sooooooo good.

|

2/19/2018 4:11 AM

SG12 100%. A really great boot, I wont buy another brand now since switching to Gaerne. I'm on my 2nd set but they last ages and don't go loose even after 2 seasons use.

|

@russ_69

2/19/2018 5:07 AM

I love my SG12s when I put them on for the first time I remember thinking it felt like I was putting on an air cast (in a good way, not a bad way). That's how much support they gave my ankle. I have a ton of hours on them also and they are holding up very well.

|

2/19/2018 5:38 AM

Thanks a lot for the great answers, it looks like the next days will be done shopping around online for good deals on the sg12, and also find "the" color combo !

|

2/19/2018 6:01 AM

With all your hardware, I’d go to a shop and try them all on. You might have pressure points in different spots.

I tried a pair of UFO Recond boots that have an ankle brace built in like a knee brace. I have a set for sale size 9 if you want to try.

|

2/19/2018 6:07 AM

For sure the SG12's. My ankles aren't that great and I feel a ton of support in them. They've saved my ankles on a few crazy over jumps already.

|

2018 KTM 250sx
Instagram CamaroAJ

2/19/2018 7:31 AM

SG12’s rubbed my injured ankle and I had to use one size bigger last year. I would recommed trying Tech 8s, before deciding as although they are old design they are really confortable and have great support for ankle.

|

2/19/2018 9:02 AM

MBR wrote:

SG12’s rubbed my injured ankle and I had to use one size bigger last year. I would recommed trying Tech 8s, before deciding as although they are old design they are really confortable and have great support for ankle.

Yes Tech 8 RS, I can strap them so tight my ankle feels like it's in a ski boot, then I loosen them just a tad to get some ankle movement. Comfy as they come. After 60 hrs of moto, time to replace to get that stiff ankle back however. Worth it though.

|

2/19/2018 10:12 AM

I think the Tech 8 has the perfect angle on the second (from bottom) strap that I can get the ankle area tight enough. With boots that have only 3 straps it feels like the ankle and the heel are too loose.

|

2/19/2018 11:06 AM

Have you asked your doctor about removing some of the hardware?
That might help with comfort in the boot but as others have said, SG12 boots rock.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

2/19/2018 12:51 PM

I still have 1 plate and 8 screws in my ankle and the SG12's don't cause me any problems riding, they are good boots.

|

2/19/2018 9:46 PM

I've got 22 screws and 2 plates in my ankle, and also a carbon kevlar wire fixed on my 4 toes so I can lift my big toe, as well as a massive excess bone growth the size of a golf ball right above my ankle.

Best advice to you is to try on the boots that interest you locally and check your options out with what fits you best. Different boots will give you different pressure points / tight spots. I personally am riding Sidi Crossfire 2's and Gaerne SG12's. Each of the boots have their pros and cons and different pressure points. Obviously both are hinged and an awesome boot, it really depends on the person.

I work for a major snowboard boot company, I definitely suggest trying these boots on locally if possible and try to spend some time in them if you can before purchasing to make your decision a little easier.

|

2/19/2018 11:21 PM

MBR wrote:

100% had the same exact problem.I have two plates and 8 screws and absolutely CAN NOT wear SG12s..I wear tech 10's but loved the tech 7's as well..i gave the SG12s a solid chance but that ankle support extremely aaggravates my ankle. With that being said it seems like every has a different opinion. Goodluck

|

2/20/2018 12:05 AM

A part of my problem is that my closest MX shop is 1 hour away, and they sell TCX boots.
There are just so little dealers in my part of the country so trying boots is almost impossible, i have to order and try, and if it does not work i will have to return them.

But from what i read the quality of gaerne is good, and i just have to order a pair to try them on to see if it will work.
I love my Tech 7`s but i am afraid that they are just to soft to protect enough.

|

2/20/2018 1:24 AM

I tore my calf with too soft Thor boots landing from a step-up and I moved to Tech 10s, which are massively better. Now, those ankle saver pegs posted above might be the thing I need. Huge thanks for posting

|

2/20/2018 5:19 AM

If your looking for SG12s there's a eBay seller that sells them for 390-410 depending on which color. I may pick some up this year.

|

2/20/2018 5:24 AM

squeeze the ankle section on a tech 8 and an sg12........SG12 has the best support out there. Get to a bike shop and look at the boots in person

|

2/20/2018 5:28 AM

Like i said before, i live to far away to go to a shop and look.
So i need to order and just try them on, if they dont work i need to return.

Its a big hassle but the only option unfortunatly.

|

2/20/2018 10:18 AM

Had a tri malleolar fracture of my right leg 3 years ago. Id highly recommend SG-12's. Excellent support and the hinged ankle has saved me a few times. They also seem to last forever.

Id also highly recommend getting the hardware out if its possible. I had a short recovery and it helped me regain alot of range of motion/comfort in moto boots/hockey skates.

|

2/20/2018 11:52 AM

ktm350norway wrote:

Hi.

Last easter i was riding when i got cross rutted on a jump face, this resulted in a couple of hucka bucks where i landed with my toes on the pegs and hyperextended my ankle shattering it.
So today i have it buildt up with 19 screws and 3 plates.

So the question, i rode with the tech 7 boots when this happend, and i used tech 7 when i came back to riding, but its time to replace the boots anyway.

My choise is between the Gaerne SG12 and the alpinestars tech 7.
i have bought a set of tech 10 but the inner bootie is rubbing one of the screws on my inner ankle joint.

I am looking for the best ankle support but yet comfort at the same time.

Try using the booties out of a Tech 8 boot. They are much easier and much more comfortable than the tech 10 booties.

|

2/20/2018 6:13 PM

FYI I wear size 8 1/2 -9 street shoe and size 9 SG-12 too big, so I ordered size 8 and they fit perfect. A lot of riders say the same about this boot, order the size smaller than your street shoe.

|

2/20/2018 6:29 PM

It sounds like the old Scott boots might be the answer to most of these threads.

|

2/21/2018 10:11 AM

Member since Monday, first post, hmm. Tech 7’s taking a beating.

|

3/3/2018 5:19 AM

So I had originally wanted to go with the Crossfire 3's but after reading this thread I purchased the SG12'S. The only issue I'm having is they are aggravating the upper portion of the inside of my ankles. I've read in other threads and forums that this is normal and the boots will break in and that will go away. Any thoughts before I wear these outside? Other than that they are fantastic boots.

|

3/3/2018 6:14 AM

RCMXracing wrote:

Member since Monday, first post, hmm. Tech 7’s taking a beating.

I can't even imagine what join date has to do with a thread like this at all. Joining a forum to obtain information, what a crazy idea.

|