Boo Stichter at Lakewood

Related:
Create New Tag

7/17/2011 3:08 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2011 3:17 PM

This may belong in the Old School Moto section, but there was a thread on here earlier this week regarding Travis Stichter. It was mentioned that his father, Boo, almost won the national at Lakewood. I think it was '80 but could have been '79. Boo grabbed the holeshot and led to the last lap when he bobbled and Hannah got by him.
Here's the picture I said I'd dig up and post of Boo throwing a one-footer off the big downhill jump at Lakewood after grabbing the holeshot. Dig it....[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/17/2011 3:40 PM

I have heard that too. But I believe THAT national was at the old Lakewood track wich was located across C470 to the East on the big hillside.

|

How do you make a cat go . ."WHOOOF" ? . . .Dowse it in gasoline and throw it in the fireplace.

7/17/2011 4:04 PM

boo stichter had a natural racing ability few possessed, very fast and smooth but edgy.

saw that race trackside and we were cheering for him although we didn't know boo from shit.

maybe podium'd that day.

i remember that race well since i believe i placed 10th oa in the 500 class.

my sac got fried when my gas cap came loose bout 2 laps from the end. i pulled in to the mech area and my mechanic said "don't you fucking quit mofo" so i pulled back onto the track and kept going...in agonizing pain. smile

|

7/17/2011 4:06 PM

Boo is Colorado legend and his son is a burner as well!

|

7/17/2011 4:08 PM

colorado had/has a lot of good mxers

|

7/17/2011 4:13 PM

Thanks for the picture.

|

7/17/2011 4:19 PM

Yes, that race was at the "old Lakewood". Was an exciting race no doubt cheering for the underdog.

|

7/17/2011 4:25 PM

I was there and saw him jump that on the first lap, old school baby.

|

Motocross is a contact sport

7/17/2011 4:49 PM

#26 Fay Myers Honda 83. I think that year or the next year he raced the Lakewood National again. This picture was at Berthoud Colo. I would be #815. I showed him the FAST way around the track for a good 2 or 3 more turns. LOL LOL

Photo

|

7/17/2011 4:57 PM

[LINK TO IMAGE]\

check out that maico on the inside...smile
|

7/17/2011 4:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/17/2011 5:00 PM

Arlo!!!!!!!!! And Super Seer.

|

7/17/2011 5:45 PM

Very cool pic, Kenny. I was asking people in the press tent at the National if Travis was any relation to Boo, but no one knew jack shit. It kinda sucks when the "beat reporters" of our sport are so apathetic and disinterested in the history of our sport. If it's not about Bailey, Hannah, or Johnny O' they don't care and don't want to know.

It's been interesting staying up at Goat Breker's house a few times in the last month. Goat and I go so far back to when he was a kid on an XR-75, always putting around. His brother Troy was my second sponsor and that's when they started calling him Goat, cuz he'd ride that XR over anything. Anyway, Goat won the Lakewood National twice and we talked about it a bit. He hates talking about the past and won't even get on a bike, but we sure talked about a bunch of stuff.

Another thing I learned up at Randsberg is do not ever put Ben-Gay on your ballsack. Never.

|

7/17/2011 5:57 PM

carlosmacho wrote:

I was there and saw him jump that on the first lap, old school baby.

Hell yeah. I, along with everyone else, went nuts when he launched off that jump on the first lap, cheering our asses off. It's cool to see his son hauls ass too.

|

7/17/2011 6:05 PM

I grew up on Stichter street in Dallas. Never had any idea where the name came from. Now I know.....

|

7/17/2011 6:11 PM

Bauer wrote:

Very cool pic, Kenny. I was asking people in the press tent at the National if Travis was any relation to Boo, but no one knew jack shit. It kinda sucks when the "beat reporters" of our sport are so apathetic and disinterested in the history of our sport. If it's not about Bailey, Hannah, or Johnny O' they don't care and don't want to know.

It's been interesting staying up at Goat Breker's house a few times in the last month. Goat and I go so far back to when he was a kid on an XR-75, always putting around. His brother Troy was my second sponsor and that's when they started calling him Goat, cuz he'd ride that XR over anything. Anyway, Goat won the Lakewood National twice and we talked about it a bit. He hates talking about the past and won't even get on a bike, but we sure talked about a bunch of stuff.

Another thing I learned up at Randsberg is do not ever put Ben-Gay on your ballsack. Never.

I pointed this out earlier in the week and can't get enough of motocross history.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/07/13/privateer-profile-travis-stichter

|

7/17/2011 6:33 PM

I was in the senior class in Colorado in the late eighties and that National race was still a topic. They said Hannah asked where that guy he chased the whole moto was when they came back the following year. Arlo Englund was racing Vets in the late eighties, maybe 88, after laying out for a time and he won the season championship easily. Arlo always smiled as he rode.

|

7/17/2011 8:32 PM

Who out there remembers the "Birth of the Boo" ad that KTM ran in Cycle News back then?

|

“Adhering to 1970’s Standards of Political Correctness”

7/17/2011 9:02 PM

Chris O'Neal wrote:

I pointed this out earlier in the week and can't get enough of motocross history.

http://www.racerxonline.com/2011/07/13/privateer-profile-travis-stichter

Good one, Chris. It's good to know the privateers have someone on their side!

|

7/17/2011 9:11 PM

|

7/18/2011 10:31 PM

BobbyM wrote: [LINK TO IMAGE]\

check out that maico on the inside...smile

Yeah, who the hell is that guy ?

|

RIP Danny "Magoo" Chandler 1959-2010

7/19/2011 12:16 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2011 9:58 PM

I just laugh when I see the ( Tom Pyle the picture man ) pictures posted. I have a stack of them as do most Colorado racers

|

Ed Johnson

7/19/2011 5:30 AM

lostboy819 wrote:

I just laugh when I see the ( Tom Pyle the picture man ) pictures posted. I have a stack of them as do most Colorado racers

Thank you, I had forgot his name. I have about 15 of his Pictures. Thanks again.

|

7/19/2011 8:29 AM

I raced there in 79,80 in the 250 class. Anybody you recognize here?

[LINK TO IMAGE]

|

7/19/2011 8:53 AM

I am glad to say I did a lot of laps at the old Lakewood track. It was a great place. It sucked when they closed it. We did sneak in for a while after the closing but the cops caught on to us quick.

|

well we ain't the smartest folks in the world...i mean we're fucking dirtbike riders for christ sakes.- BobbyM

If you chose not to decide you still have made a chioce.

7/19/2011 9:08 PM

Boo put a exhaust system on my 73 Dodge Challenger a few years back and I run into him every now and then at a race, Still skinny and a great guy.

|

Ed Johnson

7/19/2011 9:09 PM

Cygnus wrote:

I am glad to say I did a lot of laps at the old Lakewood track. It was a great place. It sucked when they closed it. We did sneak in for a while after the closing but the cops caught on to us quick.

We did the same thing, it was almost as fun to run from the cops when they showed up as it was to ride.

|

Ed Johnson

7/19/2011 9:12 PM

Crazy part is Boo almost won that moto on a KTM that was a bigger pile of S**T than they are nowwhistling . And that was going up against true works bikes.

|

Ed Johnson

7/19/2011 9:17 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2011 9:17 PM

Reese95w wrote:

Who out there remembers the "Birth of the Boo" ad that KTM ran in Cycle News back then?

I remember a quote when someone asked him why he goes by "Boo" and he said "its better than Ralph"

|

Ed Johnson

7/19/2011 9:40 PM

lostboy819 wrote:

Crazy part is Boo almost won that moto on a KTM that was a bigger pile of S**T than they are nowwhistling . And that was going up against true works bikes.

No joke, in 1980 I had a 78 RM250. I took a spin on a 1980 KTM, made it half a lap at the Berthoud track. I cut the track and went back to the pits. I do not know how Boo road those things???

|

7/19/2011 11:41 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/19/2011 11:42 PM

I dug through my some of my old pics of that Lakewood race. I know I have some of Boo somewhere, I will have to keep searching but. I was able to find a couple of my old favorites.
Arlo Englund who was also a Colorado rider I was pulling for and of course Bob Hannah which as kids, we pretty much worshiped.
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo
Photo

|

Motocross is a contact sport