Body protection -L1 vs L2

Froggy76
Hi team,

Does anybody know or have any info on the level for body protection.

Is there a massive difference between the two to justify almost double the price.

Do you need to race or go really fast to have a serious injury?
|
5/31/2019 3:47am
In my personal opinion Level 1 is sufficient for MX because the speeds are relatively low. I find the Level 2 protectors too bulky and restrictive. I run an modified A-stars A-4 on which I replaced the Level 1 plastic/foam back panel (which is very stiff) with an Level 1 foam back panel. Perfect combination for me.
stone881
5/31/2019 8:34am
I have been running a Leatt under protector with CE 2 and quite like it. I did remove a couple of the pads from the chest, but the back protector doesn't bother me and CE2 is a big level up in protection. Sorry can't remember what they call it, but it works quite nicely.
Madmax31
Fantasy
91st
5/31/2019 8:56am
I wish they'd do a study on back protection like they did neck braces. I don't care if something is bulky/restrictive or hot.

I've been looking at the RXR, Alpinestar Bionic, and even road bike type protection. Just hard to know which would be best. I've broke my back before and not wanting to do it again.

Whatever is safest and would work with my Atlas is what I'm looking for.
419250f
5/31/2019 9:52am
I just got the Alpinestars A-10 after eyeing it up for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger and rode with it last night.
Never knew it was on me until I was done with my moto and standing around I felt warmer than usual, so I took it off.
Impressive product, Level 2 as well.
I just feel better knowing if I get tagged by my bike in my back during a crash, it should do it's job.

The Shop

MPJC
Fantasy
704th
5/31/2019 10:20am
419250f wrote:
I just got the Alpinestars A-10 after eyeing it up for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger and rode with it last night. Never knew...
I just got the Alpinestars A-10 after eyeing it up for a couple years. Finally pulled the trigger and rode with it last night.
Never knew it was on me until I was done with my moto and standing around I felt warmer than usual, so I took it off.
Impressive product, Level 2 as well.
I just feel better knowing if I get tagged by my bike in my back during a crash, it should do it's job.
Agree completely. I’ve had the Leatt 4.5 and prefer the A 10 for fit and ventilation.
Supermega1
5/31/2019 11:15am
I have the older Leatt Pro Roost Deflector which is CE 2 on the back. I use it strictly for trail/desert riding.

Unlike on a track, you never know what you are going to land on when falling. I've fallen back first on to large rocks/boulders and even came down back first on a foot peg after a particularly nasty downhill tumble. All without any issue. Also, good protection from cactus which out here can pierce handguards

Personally, I don't find it that bulky at all and think the extra protection is well worth the money. Now if I was riding tracks only it might be a different story.

Froggy76
5/31/2019 2:58pm
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, very interesting.

I have just sold my A-10.
Was bothering me with my leatt neck brace. Never felt confortable when using both. When I did not wear the brace it was absolutely fine and never felt it to be bulky.

I am torn between the leatt 4.5 body armour (level 2 back and chest) and the LEATT 3DF AIRFIT (level 1 for both front and back).

I like wearing my armour under the jersey hence why I am looking at the 3D from leatt but I guess safety comes first, especially at my age of 43 so my have to settle for the more bulkier.
6/1/2019 12:12am
Froggy76 wrote:
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, very interesting. I have just sold my A-10. Was bothering me with my leatt neck brace. Never felt confortable...
Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, very interesting.

I have just sold my A-10.
Was bothering me with my leatt neck brace. Never felt confortable when using both. When I did not wear the brace it was absolutely fine and never felt it to be bulky.

I am torn between the leatt 4.5 body armour (level 2 back and chest) and the LEATT 3DF AIRFIT (level 1 for both front and back).

I like wearing my armour under the jersey hence why I am looking at the 3D from leatt but I guess safety comes first, especially at my age of 43 so my have to settle for the more bulkier.
I had the leatt 4.5 didn‘t like it. The back panel is much to stiff, like a piece of wood. Newer felt comfy.
Try the 3D. The newer foams do a very good job. I had a big crash onto my backside with an ortema P1 on. My ass was black, I split my helmet and had a concussion, but my back was fine, not one sore spot.

Post a reply to: Body protection -L1 vs L2

The Latest