Bobby K calls it a career

motox11
Edited Date/Time 11/6/2015 7:05am
Press Release
(Vaughan, ON – November 5, 2015)

Bobby Kiniry retires from motocross

Rockstar Energy OTSFF Yamaha’s ace MX1 rider Bobby Kiniry has announced he is calling a premature end to an illustrious motocross career that saw him rank as high as No.2 in the CMRC Canadian MX1 Motocross Nationals.

The Syracuse, NY native spent the past five years as a valued member of Team Rockstar Energy OTSFF Yamaha, during which time he became a fan favourite and one of only a handful of elite riders to score national motocross wins and consistent podium results.

Kiniry made the difficult decision to retire from active motocross participation, after suffering serious injuries on October 9th at Round 3 of the Canadian AX Tour in Sarnia, ON. He has since that time undergone surgery and is on the mend from a number of broken bones and a concussion.

“It was a rough year for me injury wise in the nationals and my crash in the arenacross series was the final straw. I had many good years in the sport, but it was time to consider retirement. It’s never an easy decision to call an end to something you love doing and have been doing a long time, but the time had come for me to make the decision and start looking at a post motocross career,” Kiniry said.

“I’m comfortable walking away from the sport now because I lived my childhood dream. I can walk away happy with everything I’ve done and achieved. That’s what it was all about, making a living as a professional motocross racer and finish my career with a top team like Rockstar Energy OTSFF Yamaha. It doesn’t get much better than that.”

Kiniry, who turned 30 on October 1st, began racing motocross at the tender age of four, turning pro in 2003. Although his talent never attracted the attention of a major factory sponsorship in his homeland, Kiniry regularly booked top-10 finishes in AMA Motocross and Supercross and raced on various teams.

Among his best finishes stateside were an impressive 3rd at the US Open Supercross Lites in 2006; 3rd at the AMA Supercross Lites West in San Diego in 2008; and an equally impressive 10th place overall ranking in the World Supercross Championship in 2008.

Kiniry’s true grit, amicable demeanour, and dedication to the sport on and off the track secured him his first Canadian Nationals ride in 2009 with a Texas-based Kawasaki team managed by Billy Whitley. The following year Kiniry’s long tenure began with OTSFF Suzuki, later OTSFF Yamaha.

Kiniry garnered runner-up in the CMRC Canadian MX1 Nationals in 2013. Among his most memorable Canadian victories were 1st overall at the Walton TransCan Grand National in 2010 and 2nd overall in the Lites Class at the Toronto Supercross in 2006, his first year of racing in Canada.

While Kiniry has no plans to race motocross any more, he is currently looking at an association with Rockstar Energy Lucas Oil OTSFF as a rep as well as participant in the Bass Pro Fishing Series. Kiniry has been an avid fishing enthusiast since he was a youngster and has fished competitively over the years.
|
RutDipper
11/5/2015 8:37am
Good Luck Bobby K! Always was one of my fav riders.....just a savage & a brute on a bike
mx836
11/5/2015 9:08am
Bummer. Good luck to Mr. Kiniry in his future endeavors.
ML512
Fantasy
45th
11/5/2015 9:11am
I can already imagine him on a lake, fishing, and cussing at the fish. Laughing

The Shop

IWreckALot
11/5/2015 9:26am
ML512 wrote:
I can already imagine him on a lake, fishing, and cussing at the fish. Laughing
Lol.

Hey on a slightly related note, it would be cool if you could catch up from some of the guys that have decided to get out of the sport to see where they end up once they're gone. It's not real often that we hear about these guys' ventures once they're out. Unless it's a Stroupe or JLaw story.
tomm55x
11/5/2015 10:11am
Bobby K is one of the nicest people you could ever meet unless of course you were lined up with him on the gate. I hope he has the best of luck in his future endeavors and heals up quickly so he can start enjoying life after racing, thanks for all the memories Bobby!!!!
Spydee
11/5/2015 10:15am
Shame, he's one hell of a character... very entertaining to watch during an interview as he seems absolutely pumped on adrenaline (or cocaine?! Woohoo )...

Good luck Bobby!
GD2
Fantasy
815th
11/5/2015 10:42am
3 years later Bobby K is a Bass Pro champion and has one mean beer belly
DanDunes818
11/5/2015 11:18am Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 1:02pm
Congrats to Bobby Kiniry on an awesome career. I think Bobby is one of those guys that realized early that he didn't have the AMA Championship type talent and squeezed every ounce of a living out of moto with very smart decisions. I hope he has just as successful of a post-racing career.

I got to say, though, I generally take "just after injury/during recovery" retirements a little lighter than the normal planned out retirement. It's kind of like back in high school or college when you would get way past wasted and tell the porcelain God, if he can just stop the room from spinning and get me through this one, I'll never drink again. I'm not close to Bobby, so maybe he was on his way out before this happened, but I wouldn't be surprised or bummed to see Bobby K at an AX near you again.
ebers
Fantasy
174th
11/5/2015 11:55am
My emotionals are a wreck reading this press release. Can the sport seriously continue?

It's time I come clean...
I'm a huge Kinry fan. Not because I'm from NY where he should be given keys to the state, but because the guy is an absolute animal! I've never enjoyed watching someone ride as much as Bobby. To hear the stories of Bobby and his racing endeavors are almost like folk tales, just hard to believe sometimes. His interviews are awesome, he's just one of us who happens to be extremely talented on a bike!

For those who care to read, my embarrassing moment meeting Kiniry...
In the tunnel of the Toronto SX after the main events, he was sitting in all his glory next to his bike. His pit was one of the last ones at one end, and while the tunnel was already pretty cleared out, he was still hanging there in his lowers talking to one of the Yamaha guys. I stared from a distance at him, not much traffic around me so I had to have stood out like the biggest creeper ever. I stood there for a minute with my girlfriend, and I told her I wanted to meet him and ask for a jersey! She said go up to him but I couldn't, and finally with hesitation I took the steps towards him. I walked up and said good ride, knowing it wasn't his best performance and I think he knew that, but I said good ride anyways! I was nervous as hell at this point, and just asked if it was possible for a jersey, I then without even pausing, to make myself sound less creepy I proceeded to tell him that if there was one jersey I could have to hang on a wall, it would be his. I continued with I promised I would never have another jersey if I had his. He was smiling at this point and said sure no problem and was going through his gear bag and grabbed a jersey for me! He tossed it to me, and then looked for a sharpie to sign it... I didn't have one so to not bother him, I simply told him his autograph wasn't nescarary!!! Hahaha What an idiot I was! So embarrassing to be there in that moment but he couldn't have been cooler to me.
The next summer I got to catch him at Unadilla and brought my jersey with him and he signed it no problem. Just a class dude and honestly I will be bummed! I wish Bobby all the best in his future, I don't think anyone will ride as tough as that guy!!

Calihusky
11/5/2015 12:11pm
Kiniry is a great guy and I wish him nothing but the best. I met him once at an autograph signing and he was the nicest guy and was amped to be there interacting with fans. I'm from New York originally and went to school up in Syracuse and when I mentioned that we just got to talking a while about the Orangemen and different local spots. I was a fan already but became a bigger fan seeing how enthusiastic he was about motocross and appreciating all the fans.
TFuchs978
11/5/2015 12:17pm
ebers wrote:
My emotionals are a wreck reading this press release. Can the sport seriously continue? It's time I come clean... I'm a huge Kinry fan. Not because...
My emotionals are a wreck reading this press release. Can the sport seriously continue?

It's time I come clean...
I'm a huge Kinry fan. Not because I'm from NY where he should be given keys to the state, but because the guy is an absolute animal! I've never enjoyed watching someone ride as much as Bobby. To hear the stories of Bobby and his racing endeavors are almost like folk tales, just hard to believe sometimes. His interviews are awesome, he's just one of us who happens to be extremely talented on a bike!

For those who care to read, my embarrassing moment meeting Kiniry...
In the tunnel of the Toronto SX after the main events, he was sitting in all his glory next to his bike. His pit was one of the last ones at one end, and while the tunnel was already pretty cleared out, he was still hanging there in his lowers talking to one of the Yamaha guys. I stared from a distance at him, not much traffic around me so I had to have stood out like the biggest creeper ever. I stood there for a minute with my girlfriend, and I told her I wanted to meet him and ask for a jersey! She said go up to him but I couldn't, and finally with hesitation I took the steps towards him. I walked up and said good ride, knowing it wasn't his best performance and I think he knew that, but I said good ride anyways! I was nervous as hell at this point, and just asked if it was possible for a jersey, I then without even pausing, to make myself sound less creepy I proceeded to tell him that if there was one jersey I could have to hang on a wall, it would be his. I continued with I promised I would never have another jersey if I had his. He was smiling at this point and said sure no problem and was going through his gear bag and grabbed a jersey for me! He tossed it to me, and then looked for a sharpie to sign it... I didn't have one so to not bother him, I simply told him his autograph wasn't nescarary!!! Hahaha What an idiot I was! So embarrassing to be there in that moment but he couldn't have been cooler to me.
The next summer I got to catch him at Unadilla and brought my jersey with him and he signed it no problem. Just a class dude and honestly I will be bummed! I wish Bobby all the best in his future, I don't think anyone will ride as tough as that guy!!

First off Seth, congrats on fitting into an adult small jersey! I think it would be cool if GuyB could do a QNA with Bobby. First time I got to meet Bobby was a race at Frozen Ocean, he showed up with his camo TLD helmet and a pick up full of fishing poles. He was always down to earth and seemed to be willing to talk to anyone. I wish the best for him and his family!
TankSlapper
11/5/2015 1:25pm
Good Luck Bobby K. Dude always rode with heart...

TeamGreen
11/5/2015 1:41pm
GD2 wrote:
3 years later Bobby K is a Bass Pro champion and has one mean beer belly
I can't see the Beer belly...
MX114
11/5/2015 4:09pm Edited Date/Time 11/5/2015 4:17pm
Bobby Kiniry is core moto. Always was on the grind to get better and did whatever it took. They don't come any tougher or fearless. Grew up very close to each other and been good friends since our dirtbike racing days began. He is the first guy to ever jump the Arenacross Catapult jump on a 60 cc. When he did it the announcer about lost his mind!! It had never been done till that point when meathead decided to send it. A Good Bobby K story... So in 2000 I believe it was Bob was killing it in his last year of his 85cc and supermini days. He won mammoth Mtn and a bunch of national events leading up to LL that year. I had just busted my colorbone so his dad asked me to drive down to the ranch with him in the van that year to help with the small errands of racing all week and that much less things for them to have to be distracted with. Bobby was by himself in Ponca with the FMF crew and was doing very well all week leading into Lorettas. His father and I drive from New York and meet Bob and the FMF guys and his mechanic at the ranch. Bobby, Broc Hepler , and Jimmy Nelson were three main guys going for the championship. Bob had some highlights in the first Motos of the week with some blazing speed and podiums but bad luck all week after. Crashes and just anything that could go wrong did. However in one Moto before the long sweeper going toward the finish there was this very large roller type single jump . Every other rider there all week would just pop off it jumping maybe 40-50 feet at most... Not Bobby though?! After he was coming from behind in one moto he starts absolutly hucking this thing on his RM big wheel! Pinned with not ounce of scared. Wide open just flat landing and bottom out like a mother fucker lap after lap. To the point it literally put the bars in his lap and the Moto was done after that if I remember right. It was classic bobby and even was made mention in Racer X after that. Talking about the insane leaps off that jump he was taking on mini. Been to the ranch a bunch and never seen anyone else pull a leap like that there. Bobby is a class act and my hats off in respect to a great career and all he has accomplished
notme
11/5/2015 4:27pm
Going to miss him in Canada, hope he heals up from his recent injuries and concussion.

visser62
11/5/2015 4:54pm
I'll miss meathead. Good luck to Bobby in his future endeavors.
TeamGreen
11/5/2015 7:22pm
notme wrote:
Going to miss him in Canada, hope he heals up from his recent injuries and concussion. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2015/11/05/110194/s1200_IMG_1480.jpg[/img]
Going to miss him in Canada, hope he heals up from his recent injuries and concussion.

He's doing great and has some new internal hardware. He's got a new mission and is VERY serious about going fishing.

The Stoke is full.
11/6/2015 5:47am
Ill always remember working with the otsff yamaha team and what bobby brought to it, I always thought he was so serious but he is actually one of the nicest, funniest riders youll find. My favourite memory was in Ulverton 2014, going down the start straight by the mechanics area he was going inside the track markers and nearly hitting us mechanics!
after the moto i asked him what he was doing and said you nearly hit us! he simply answered "well, get the fuck out of the way!" huge fan, hope he gets to come back and hang out at future races!
chadder44
11/6/2015 6:24am
I rode in WNY from 1997-2001 and got to see Bob race from junior mini through his early days on a 125. No matter what age he was, his races were my favorite to watch. I watched him staggered start in junior mini 30 seconds behind the senior mini class, only to catch and pass everyone on the track at least once. I saw him jump things on his 80 that only a few experts would do. I remember the first time I saw him on an RM125 at frozen ocean practice, wondering if he would be anywhere near the pace of the experts at such a young age and small stature.....only to realize that he was in fact faster than them all. He looked like he was riding a jetski, standing up everywhere with his face and chest over the bars. He attacked the track with anger, but I'm certain that he was also having the most fun. He had the style and comfort in the air at age 12 that some pros only pretend to have today. From mini battles with Ryan Mills to big bike sprints with Paul Carpenter, I'm really glad I got to see Bobby ride.
11/6/2015 7:02am
chadder44 wrote:
I rode in WNY from 1997-2001 and got to see Bob race from junior mini through his early days on a 125. No matter what age...
I rode in WNY from 1997-2001 and got to see Bob race from junior mini through his early days on a 125. No matter what age he was, his races were my favorite to watch. I watched him staggered start in junior mini 30 seconds behind the senior mini class, only to catch and pass everyone on the track at least once. I saw him jump things on his 80 that only a few experts would do. I remember the first time I saw him on an RM125 at frozen ocean practice, wondering if he would be anywhere near the pace of the experts at such a young age and small stature.....only to realize that he was in fact faster than them all. He looked like he was riding a jetski, standing up everywhere with his face and chest over the bars. He attacked the track with anger, but I'm certain that he was also having the most fun. He had the style and comfort in the air at age 12 that some pros only pretend to have today. From mini battles with Ryan Mills to big bike sprints with Paul Carpenter, I'm really glad I got to see Bobby ride.
I remember him crushing every 125 at Frozen with a supermini. Must have been '99 or 2000. Him and Paulie were a blast to watch! District 3/4 was awesome then.
Mini Elsinore
11/6/2015 7:05am Edited Date/Time 11/6/2015 7:07am
First time my family met Bobby was at Ponca 2001. My oldest (on a pee wee and 65) was having a tough week and was pretty bummed. Bobby was standing at the fence watching and I chatted him up. He asked how my kid was doing, and I told him. He asked where he was and i pointed to staging. Bob walked over to him and chatted him up---they take off walking together towards the fence. Bob pointed out lines and encouraged Hayden to have fun----and for the rest of the week my son was on cloud 9 and constantly scanning the pits for his new buddy, Bobby Kiniry. My wife has a pic of them standing at the fence----I'll try and hunt it down. Bob is a class act and any organization who he affiliates with will benefit greatly from his positive energy and never say quit attitude. Hat tip to Mr. K!!

Post a reply to: Bobby K calls it a career

The Latest