Bob Moore's 909 FMF Honda

Related:
Create New Tag

10/7/2019 11:13 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/7/2019 11:16 PM

Year 1999

Photo

How the 909 bike came about. Chris Gosselaar was one of four riders on the FMF Honda team. An unfortunate incident left him with two broken feet when his bike shut down on the face of a big jump.

Bobby was the FMF team manager at the time.

Along came Danny LaPorte who was launching the 909 range of product, Danny pitched his idea to Bob. Build a 909 bike and hit the outdoors to promote 909.

Bobby decided to roll with the idea. Goose's mechanic was gone and I was pulled in to come wrench for Bob. We used Goose's bike as a base and with time dialed it in for Bob. While his fitness was not where it should have been he nevertheless was fast.

The dream started to derail - Varner, Bobby and myself were out testing carburators one day (a few weeks out from the start of the outdoors) when Bob went down hard and injured his shoulder.

That appeared to be the end of Danny's promo.

Come Glen Helen and Bob decided to give it a go. He was on pace in practice but his shoulder was still hurting so he decided to call it a day....or season..

Then came Mount Morris...Bob wanted another shot.

Both motos he was running top five before fading. The speed was there but not the fitness.

It was fun whilst it lasted and I stand to be corrected but that was Bob's last pro race.

Sadly, pictures of the bike are rare. We did do a professional photo shoot at a studio with the bike but can't remember where or who shot the pics.

Bob Moore is a great guy and it was a privilege to be part of that deal. Awesome memories.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/7/2019 11:22 PM

Photo
|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/8/2019 1:20 AM

I like it with the pipe and white
Don’t happen to have a seat cover laying around? Im thinking of doing mine in a replica

|

10/8/2019 3:08 AM

I don't think he gets enough credit from Americans for how fast he was because he spent most of his professional career racing the GPs.

|

10/8/2019 3:11 AM

I read that when he was team boss at FMF Honda in maybe 98, he was faster than any of his riders on an outdoor when they went testing.

|

10/8/2019 3:13 AM

slipdog wrote:

I don't think he gets enough credit from Americans for how fast he was because he spent most of his professional career racing the GPs.

I think most people between 45-50 years old remember what a badass he was on minibikes, but you’re right, him and Trampas Parker are the 2 most underrated American champs I can think of.

|

10/8/2019 3:14 AM

Muscle-Milk-KTM wrote:

I read that when he was team boss at FMF Honda in maybe 98, he was faster than any of his riders on an outdoor when they went testing.

You read correct.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/8/2019 3:16 AM

slipdog wrote:

I don't think he gets enough credit from Americans for how fast he was because he spent most of his professional career racing the GPs.

Sully wrote:

I think most people between 45-50 years old remember what a badass he was on minibikes, but you’re right, him and Trampas Parker are the 2 most underrated American champs I can think of.

*Donny Schmit and many more.

|

10/8/2019 3:18 AM

Phillip_McCavity wrote:

I like it with the pipe and white
Don’t happen to have a seat cover laying around? Im thinking of doing mine in a replica

At one point FMF were selling the Graphics kits with seat covers included...that was back then. You would need to contact them and ask if they have any old stock laying around.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/8/2019 3:21 AM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 3:51 AM

Photo


Moore, Vohland, Brown and others, should have cleaned up in AMA Outdoors seeing as all they did was ride/race motocross... That's what Daniel Blur would say.

|

10/8/2019 7:17 AM

Me and some buddy’s were riding at a local spot north east of Phoenix one day, had to be 1996ish I think or maybe a little later, and we notice a lowered full size truck pull in and promptly get stuck in a rain rut. This unassuming guy wanders over and says, hi guys my name is bob moore would you mind trying to pull my fathers truck out of the rut. I was the only guy in the group that actually followed racing and my jaw hit the ground and responded, bob moore as in Bobby Moore former World champion Bobby Moore? I think he was more surprised I knew who he was, my friends had no idea and I had to explain it them after we got them out of the rut. No idea why he would want to come out there and ride that clapped out desert track but it sure was cool experience for me!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/8/2019 7:35 AM

bvm111 wrote:

Me and some buddy’s were riding at a local spot north east of Phoenix one day, had to be 1996ish I think or maybe a little later, and we notice a lowered full size truck pull in and promptly get stuck in a rain rut. This unassuming guy wanders over and says, hi guys my name is bob moore would you mind trying to pull my fathers truck out of the rut. I was the only guy in the group that actually followed racing and my jaw hit the ground and responded, bob moore as in Bobby Moore former World champion Bobby Moore? I think he was more surprised I knew who he was, my friends had no idea and I had to explain it them after we got them out of the rut. No idea why he would want to come out there and ride that clapped out desert track but it sure was cool experience for me!

Yup, he did reside just outside Phoenix. A portion of his garage has a display corner where his Chesterfield w/championship bike lives.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/8/2019 7:51 AM

bvm111 wrote:

Me and some buddy’s were riding at a local spot north east of Phoenix one day, had to be 1996ish I think or maybe a little later, and we notice a lowered full size truck pull in and promptly get stuck in a rain rut. This unassuming guy wanders over and says, hi guys my name is bob moore would you mind trying to pull my fathers truck out of the rut. I was the only guy in the group that actually followed racing and my jaw hit the ground and responded, bob moore as in Bobby Moore former World champion Bobby Moore? I think he was more surprised I knew who he was, my friends had no idea and I had to explain it them after we got them out of the rut. No idea why he would want to come out there and ride that clapped out desert track but it sure was cool experience for me!

Boomslang wrote:

Yup, he did reside just outside Phoenix. A portion of his garage has a display corner where his Chesterfield w/championship bike lives.

That is Cool, I didn’t know that about Bobby and still remember it like it was yesterday. I grew up watching Jimmy Button, Shaun Kalos and Jimmy Gaddis ride in the PHX area, in fact Jimmys dad worked at Western Honda and gave me my first 10% discount deal when I was on my 87 CR125 and I thought I was the coolest guy ever! Those guys wouldn’t know who I am but it sure was cool watching them ride at Canyon and Thrasher Land back in the day!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250

10/8/2019 8:48 AM

When Bob first showed up at the Nationals (pre European adventures) the guy driving the van and turning wrenches I only knew as "Hoss". Where did Hoss get to?

|

10/8/2019 9:48 AM

bvm111 wrote:

Me and some buddy’s were riding at a local spot north east of Phoenix one day, had to be 1996ish I think or maybe a little later, and we notice a lowered full size truck pull in and promptly get stuck in a rain rut. This unassuming guy wanders over and says, hi guys my name is bob moore would you mind trying to pull my fathers truck out of the rut. I was the only guy in the group that actually followed racing and my jaw hit the ground and responded, bob moore as in Bobby Moore former World champion Bobby Moore? I think he was more surprised I knew who he was, my friends had no idea and I had to explain it them after we got them out of the rut. No idea why he would want to come out there and ride that clapped out desert track but it sure was cool experience for me!

BOBBY Moore is a great racer and part of the norcal elite racer group but in no way shape or form associated with the legend known as bobbym. You should have known. 😜👍😎

|

10/8/2019 3:35 PM

I got to see all the top guys that came over here, Moore,Schmit, Healey, Parker , Brown and the others, and the thing they all had was a love of pure motocross, none of them really made SX their thing and they came here and straight up killed it... seeing them race 125 GPs was an absolute pleasure, and iwas at Moore's last GP in Holzgerlingen in Germany, where he spent ages with fans and riders lapping up his last weekend. Cool guy

|

10/8/2019 4:47 PM

slipdog wrote:

I don't think he gets enough credit from Americans for how fast he was because he spent most of his professional career racing the GPs.

Sully wrote:

I think most people between 45-50 years old remember what a badass he was on minibikes, but you’re right, him and Trampas Parker are the 2 most underrated American champs I can think of.

EZZA 95B wrote:

*Donny Schmit and many more.

I never really considered Donny to be underrated, though.

|

10/8/2019 9:46 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/8/2019 11:31 PM

Sully wrote:

I never really considered Donny to be underrated, though.

Sorry man, didn't mean you.

*The new thing (after listening to PulpMX yesterday) is to suggest the European riders looked like goons back in the day. Nice work Blair. Dude's not too bright.

|

10/9/2019 2:54 AM

EZZA 95B wrote:

*Donny Schmit and many more.

Sully wrote:

I never really considered Donny to be underrated, though.

EZZA 95B wrote:

Sorry man, didn't mean you.

*The new thing (after listening to PulpMX yesterday) is to suggest the European riders looked like goons back in the day. Nice work Blair. Dude's not too bright.

This is why i cant take Blair seriously at all. His lack of understanding of this stuff is embarrassing, When you watch back some of those ols races , you expect the US riders of the day to be in a different zip code, and they just wernt.. yes they were good, and all the riders always had factory kit, and yes they could jump stuff that nobody here would do, but euro riders won plenty of moto's , just never had a strong enough team to take the win.

And its not like Blair was that good himself.

Think he does a great job on SX live but his take on world MX is woeful... its refreshing to hear JT$ tell it like it is over here and Weege also gets it.

|

10/9/2019 4:47 AM

Many forget that he won a 125 SX championship after graduating (public) high school. He was fun to watch ride, I was lucky enough to grow up with Bobby and we were and still are good friends. He’s also the last American to win a MXGP championship. He’s made a good career in the industry and was also inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I will send him a link to this thread, he gets a kick out of it, as he doesn’t really do social media or forum boards.

|

10/9/2019 5:26 AM

langhammx wrote:

Many forget that he won a 125 SX championship after graduating (public) high school. He was fun to watch ride, I was lucky enough to grow up with Bobby and we were and still are good friends. He’s also the last American to win a MXGP championship. He’s made a good career in the industry and was also inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I will send him a link to this thread, he gets a kick out of it, as he doesn’t really do social media or forum boards.

Sweet, maybe Bobby can chime in a little on the topic.

On a side note, I saw him lose his cool once and it was effing funny. We all new who the guilty party was except for Bobby....and I doubt he ever found out.

One fine afternone in the Race Semi, Bobby went to the heads and found it properly blocked. He was not impressed, in his own words, " who the eff wipes their butthole 15 times" Lots of giggles went round and in one corner sat little Danny Smith with a smile on his face.

|

Non Gratum Anus Rodentum

10/9/2019 10:13 AM

Interesting times, some Americans found a career in the GPs and for a 4-5 year stretch Americans were winning more titles than anyone else in the GPs while JMB paved a path for GP riders to head stateside all in the same time frame.

|

10/9/2019 10:17 AM

Park Boys wrote:

Interesting times, some Americans found a career in the GPs and for a 4-5 year stretch Americans were winning more titles than anyone else in the GPs while JMB paved a path for GP riders to head stateside all in the same time frame.

Supercross was starting to evolve and getting more and more dangerous, some guys still wanted to just race motocross. But then again, there wasn’t too much money on the sport back then.

|

9/2/2020 3:34 PM

langhammx wrote:

Many forget that he won a 125 SX championship after graduating (public) high school. He was fun to watch ride, I was lucky enough to grow up with Bobby and we were and still are good friends. He’s also the last American to win a MXGP championship. He’s made a good career in the industry and was also inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I will send him a link to this thread, he gets a kick out of it, as he doesn’t really do social media or forum boards.

Sorry to ressurect this, but does Bobby still ride? Would he, if he had, say, a year notice, and the race was something that would interest him like no other race could?

|

9/2/2020 6:18 PM

i remember being in middle school and always wanting to have those 909 grips on my bike

Photo

|

9/2/2020 7:06 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/2/2020 7:51 PM

TheTwostrokeTaliban wrote:

Sorry to ressurect this, but does Bobby still ride? Would he, if he had, say, a year notice, and the race was something that would interest him like no other race could?

He does not ride much these days, he works for the Wasserman Group as an agent. I believe he mostly works with MotoGP riders. I have offered my bikes and a place to stay and have yet to get him to commit. lol But I doubt he’d be interested in racing at 54 years old, if that’s what you’re thinking. I’d be glad to pass on a message if you’d like ?

My email is langhammx@sbcglobal.net

|

9/2/2020 7:28 PM

Boomslang wrote: Photo

Beautiful

|

9/2/2020 7:49 PM

I watched Bob race in those Duke videos, 90,s world championships. He was really fast, corner speed was awesome. His 94 YZ125 was fast as hell.

|

9/2/2020 8:05 PM

I still have a set of 909 bars. Best bars ever made

|

9/2/2020 9:18 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/3/2020 8:25 PM

langhammx wrote:

Many forget that he won a 125 SX championship after graduating (public) high school. He was fun to watch ride, I was lucky enough to grow up with Bobby and we were and still are good friends. He’s also the last American to win a MXGP championship. He’s made a good career in the industry and was also inducted into the Hall of Fame.
I will send him a link to this thread, he gets a kick out of it, as he doesn’t really do social media or forum boards.

TheTwostrokeTaliban wrote:

Sorry to ressurect this, but does Bobby still ride? Would he, if he had, say, a year notice, and the race was something that would interest him like no other race could?

langhammx wrote:

He does not ride much these days, he works for the Wasserman Group as an agent. I believe he mostly works with MotoGP riders. I have offered my bikes and a place to stay and have yet to get him to commit. lol But I doubt he’d be interested in racing at 54 years old, if that’s what you’re thinking. I’d be glad to pass on a message if you’d like ?

My email is langhammx@sbcglobal.net

Shaun,

funny that you know Bobby, I ran into him and i believe it was his dad at a desert practice track east of scottsdale AZ back in like 95/96 time frame i think it was. He had a lowered dually PU and they were high centered in a large rain rut when they tried to turn around. He comes over and asks if we can pull them out and introduced himself as bob moore and my jaw hit the floor, I asked him, your bobby moore? like former world champion bobby moore... I think he was more surprised that I knew who he was out in the middle of the ft mcdowell indian reservation on a blown out lame locals desert practice track!

Any way i’m sure he doesn’t remember that at all but i do... was a really cool memorable experience for me!

edit: i didn’t realize this was an old thread when i posted the same story as had above... at least i told it the same twice!

|

Never try to argue with idiots; they will only bring you down to their level.....and being more experienced, they will beat you at their own game!

2020.5 KTM 450 SXF FE
2006 KX250