Blatant Spam: New Awesome Moto Photo Book : Great Holiday Gift!

Snoqualmie
12/10/2018 1:29pm Edited Date/Time 12/13/2018 12:10pm
Will to Victory by Roddy MacLeod

Roddy is a great photographer - his book should be awesome! Some notes from him below:

Will To Victory Is On The Way!

Last week my printer in Verona, Italy finished the printing and binding of Will To Victory. That means, a truck load of books is now on it's way to me here in Germany.

While the books were printing, and because I had nothing better to do, I've moved from Mannheim to our new place in Heidelberg. My girlfriend and I both work from home, so the old place was too small. The new place is big enough to store several pallets of books, so that is a good thing.

The books arrive here later this week and I will be personally packing orders over the weekend. Many of you have been asking when your books will arrive and the good news is all orders received to date will be shipped on Monday 17 December!

Order Now For Delivery Before Christmas

What are you waiting for? If you haven't ordered already, all orders received this week will be shipped on 17 December. Place your order now and, while you're at it, get one for your riding buddy, friend or relative who shares your passion for motocross.

Many of you got into racing/motocross because of a parent or brother and what better way to thank them than to share your passion for MX together? There are a limited number of books being printed, so don't miss your chance.

paypal-visa-mastercard-amex

Credit Cards Are Accepted

For the last weeks an error on my website meant only PayPal payments could be made to purchase the book. That error has been fixed and now again all major credit cards may be used to make your purchase!
Print Namur Border01

Free Print: Grand Prix of Belgium in Namur (2005)

Signed Copies and Prints

More good news: all orders for Will To Victory will be individually signed by me, the author, as well as receive a free print of the famous Namur track in Belgium (above).
Print Herlings Border01

Free Print: Jeffrey Herlings at the Grand Prix of Trentino, Italy (2018)

Plus orders received this week will get a print of the cover photo used for the December issue of Racer X Illustrated magazine featuring Jeffrey Herlings at the grand prix of Trentino (above)! As many of you know, the December cover has received a "Roger" award from Racer X in honour of The Man, Roger De Coster.

Again, all orders received before Friday will receive these prints at no charge!

Have a great week everyone and for those of you who've already placed an order, a heart felt welcome from my side! The support for the book and my work has been a truly satisfying conclusion to my year in the grand prix!

Roddy
|
newmann
12/11/2018 6:24am
Good stuff and comes with a Namur print! Probably not as nice as this one Roddy hooked me up with several years back....Smile

Have always thought of this as one of the most epic moto photos of all time and wanted it for the top of the stairwell in my garage.

TXDirt
12/11/2018 6:26am
^^^^ One of the coolest mx pics ever!
stangkag
12/11/2018 6:30am
newmann wrote:
Good stuff and comes with a Namur print! Probably not as nice as this one Roddy hooked me up with several years back....:) Have always thought...
Good stuff and comes with a Namur print! Probably not as nice as this one Roddy hooked me up with several years back....Smile

Have always thought of this as one of the most epic moto photos of all time and wanted it for the top of the stairwell in my garage.

Dang Newmann, that's an awesome picture. I have to ask what you do for a living, you have a very nice setup sir!

The Shop

newmann
12/11/2018 11:51am
stangkag wrote:
Dang Newmann, that's an awesome picture. I have to ask what you do for a living, you have a very nice setup sir!
We work, and work, and work....Blush

I have a bunch of memorabilia and gear I want to hang on the walls all the way up the stairs but still have none of it done. Keep telling myself "one day".
Snoqualmie
12/11/2018 9:09pm
newmann wrote:
Good stuff and comes with a Namur print! Probably not as nice as this one Roddy hooked me up with several years back....:) Have always thought...

Agree. Roddy’s Namur image ranks up there with Cudby’s RC bar dragging image or Kardy’s Bubba and Larocco’s leap image.
roddy409
12/11/2018 10:30pm
Thanks for the spam guys!

Looks like the links to the photos got lost, so here are the two free prints going out with each book purchased this week:

Namur, Belgium (2005)

Jeffrey Herlings at the grand prix of Trentino (2018)

The Herlings photo graced the cover of the December Racer X Illustrated and recently won the "Roger" for best cover of the year. Smile

The book itself is large (28,5 x 35 cm/11.2 x 13.7 inches) and the paper thick and arty. All orders received this week will be shipped Monday, December 17th:

www.willtovictory.com

Roddy
roddy409
12/12/2018 10:36pm
Some additional details from inside the book...

From The Outside - It's Big

Will To Victory is a large format, fine art photo book that happens to be about Motocross. And by large I mean 28,5 x 35 cm (11.2 x 13.7 inches). Go ahead and get your ruler out.

It weighs a hefty 3.2 kilos (7 lbs). It might even be the largest motocross book ever?

Not just a pretty face. A big, heavy, pretty face. The little book on the left? That's a paperback.

From The Inside - It's Thick

Normally motocross books hover in the 180-240 page range and, in fact, I originally planned to print only 256 pages which, according to the chart below, would still make it one of the thickest MX books around. Instead, I added another 32 pages bringing the total to 288 pages - some 20-40% more pages than what we usually see.

(My business training is showing, I know...)

Composition Of The Book

Inside those 288 pages we find more than 70% is photography from the 2018 season: 205 pages in total.

Next, over 20% of the book (60 pages) is interviews and photos of former world champions (S. Everts, H. Everts, J. Smets and D. Thorpe) plus an interview with Irish and British champion Gordon Crockard. The interviews are long, averaging more than 6,000 words each - enough to get into the minds of each of the champions.

Plus I added some of my stories from the road accounting for 8% of the book and 23 pages. Again, it might be the thickest book on MX to date...

(I can't help it...)

Show Me The Beef - Sample Pages

Jeffrey Herlings and Max Anstie at the Cathedral of Speed, Grand Prix of The Netherlands, Assen

Inside spread from the Grand Prix of Turkey in Afyonkarahisar

Some never-published photos accompany the interviews of Stefan Everts and Joël Smets. Here Smets (3) leads Mickael Pichon (2) and Josh Coppins (31) at Valkenswaard

Mechanics literally get the dirty work, Grand Prix of Indonesia, Pangkal Pinang

It Smells

A word on the paper in the book... It is thick paper. Specifically the brand of paper is Garda Mat 170. I didn't know what that meant either, but now that I have the pages in my hands, I can tell you it means they are thick pages. Really thick. And rich and wonderful. You can feel the texture of each page as you turn them in your fingers.

But not only. The pages are not coated glossy like a brochure. Instead, they are matte and the ink and all its aroma rise up off the pages and into your nose in a slightly intoxicating way. A book that fires all the senses. Sniffing encouraged.

About My Photography

All of the 2018 photos are shot with Leica cameras. I kind of made a big deal about this in my video (above) because... it's kind of a big deal. Leica is unique in the photography world for the way the lenses produce colour saturation and contrast. That's why I chose Leica and, to the best of my knowledge, nobody else is using them in motocross.

In fact, one magazine even asked me if I was sponsored by Leica. Sadly, I am not. I paid full pop for both of my cameras and all six lenses too. Incredibly, the book is still only 50€.

All that to say the one thing I have not done is photoshop the photos. They are not artificial in any way - they are as the camera, the lighting and the conditions have produced. Therefore, the book is not an example what can be done with photoshop, but rather what can be done with high quality cameras and great care.

One More Thing...

Orders received before Friday, December 14th will also receive the two prints shown above absolutely free!

www.willtovictory.com

Bearuno
12/13/2018 12:07am
I ordered mine the minute I saw it's announcement.

So, they are despatching on the 17th - I really am hanging out for it. It looks absolutely Wonderful.

2 days ago my copy of this year's Motocross GP album arrived. I've got those since 2009.

I've come to realize I'm spent a ( not so) small Fortune on just my Motorsport books since the 70s. And worth every bloody penny, too. I revere books of almost any type, but my numerous Motorsport / Motorcycle Sports books are dear to me.

I was shocked to see the prices of issues of Motocourse ( Road Racing Annual, for those that are not familiar with it) a while ago. Mind boggling - some single copies are going for a few thousand. I've got 2 full sets, and after my GF saw the prices, she's been onto me to 'realize' one of those 'assets'. Well, fat chance, Girlie. The ones that might get to do so, are my 2 Great Grand Nephews. They , more than anyone, it seems, appreciate Unka Bears Book Room.
Snoqualmie
12/13/2018 6:35am
Whoa.

Roddy, you shoot with a Leica? Holy cow. Now I am more impressed.

Plus, I feel for your wallet on the 6 lenses you purchased.

Looking forward to my copy landing here in Idaho!

Rex Backman
roddy409
12/13/2018 8:31am
Leica M and the S Typ 007.

Your book leaves Germany on Monday!
FreshTopEnd
Fantasy
4133rd
12/13/2018 11:55am
Really happy to support this project, Roddy, can't wait for my copy
peelout
12/13/2018 12:10pm
yeah i'll be ordering this, thanks for the heads up and Rod for the info!
neverwas
Fantasy
868th
12/13/2018 12:34pm
Ordered mine and can't wait to get it. Looks awesome.

Post a reply to: Blatant Spam: New Awesome Moto Photo Book : Great Holiday Gift!

The Latest