Blaming the AMA flag guy in practice.

Motofinne
3/28/2017 6:48am
This is the most ridiculous thing that i have heard for a long, long time.

I just listened to the Racer X race review and the Pulp MX show and they were talking about the AMA guy that starts the practice just like in any other series and they were discussing that the flag guy has a part in the carnage that goes on in the 250 practices.

This is by far the most ridiculous excuse that i have ever heard. If these riders can't control themselves because a flag guy waves a flag, we have a problem.

The bottom line is that any rider that starts a conflict in practice is an idiot and the flag guy can't possible have a part in the blame pie.
|
brimx153
3/28/2017 8:47am
Flag guy needed to party more Tongue
3/28/2017 8:50am
They blame the flag guy because he didn't stick the flag in the front wheel of anyone being over aggressive lol
cameron96
3/28/2017 8:53am
I look at things in a vacuum so who cares
Matthes
3/28/2017 8:58am
Motofinne wrote:
This is the most ridiculous thing that i have heard for a long, long time. I just listened to the Racer X race review and the...

I just listened to the Racer X race review and the Pulp MX show and they were talking about the AMA guy that starts the practice just like in any other series and they were discussing that the flag guy has a part in the carnage that goes on in the 250 practices.

This is by far the most ridiculous excuse that i have ever heard. If these riders can't control themselves because a flag guy waves a flag, we have a problem.

The bottom line is that any rider that starts a conflict in practice is an idiot and the flag guy can't possible have a part in the blame pie.
What I said numerous times was that the riders are still to blame, it's not the flag guys fault that these guys are losing their minds BUT he's not helping the situation out. Jordon Smith, who's done nothing wrong, confirmed that the guy apparently REALLY loves this part of his job. Just a thought.

And yes, he should've partied in Temecula more.

The Shop

Motofinne
3/28/2017 9:05am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 9:07am
Motofinne wrote:
This is the most ridiculous thing that i have heard for a long, long time. I just listened to the Racer X race review and the...

Matthes wrote:
What I said numerous times was that the riders are still to blame, it's not the flag guys fault that these guys are losing their minds...
What I said numerous times was that the riders are still to blame, it's not the flag guys fault that these guys are losing their minds BUT he's not helping the situation out. Jordon Smith, who's done nothing wrong, confirmed that the guy apparently REALLY loves this part of his job. Just a thought.

Haha yeah, partying in Temecula can solve all the problems in our world!

I do understand that there are riders somehow get caught up in some kind of "race" for the first practice lap, that happens in every series out there from pro to local racing.

But what i meant was i think it's amazing that these high profile riders get caught in these situations(they have made themselves look stupid these last weeks), i would be furious if i would be their team manager or sponsor. And they have to be smarter than that. Just because the flag guy gets his 2 minutes of fame doesn't mean that the riders go all crazy and punt each other off the track, for basically nothing. And to use the flag dude as an excuse is ridiculous.
Ted722
3/28/2017 9:11am
Let them out based on points. Start timer when last one leaves. Trying to get the holeshot on qualifying (where the fast times are at the end) doesn't make sense.
3/28/2017 9:21am
I say stop timing the practice and you'll see a lot less carnage and I think it will open the track up a bit more in terms of lines. They might be a little more concerned with learning how the track races than getting one good lap. I'm not sure how they'd do gate picks but I'm sure they could figure it out
Matt Wozney
3/28/2017 10:45am
Being down by the riders when they take off for qualifying, that flagger does spark it up a bit. But the riders are collectively staring down a holeshot that doesn't count and the flagger just joins the party. It shouldn't be a free for all into the first turn for practice.
early
Fantasy
2139th
3/28/2017 10:48am
Ted722 wrote:
Let them out based on points. Start timer when last one leaves. Trying to get the holeshot on qualifying (where the fast times are at the...
Let them out based on points. Start timer when last one leaves. Trying to get the holeshot on qualifying (where the fast times are at the end) doesn't make sense.
This
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
3920th
3/28/2017 11:10am
Ted722 wrote:
Let them out based on points. Start timer when last one leaves. Trying to get the holeshot on qualifying (where the fast times are at the...
early wrote:
This
Good point.
Motofinne
3/28/2017 11:28am Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 11:31am
Ted722 wrote:
That is a good solution.

I've been at races where everyone is lined up in front of the gate and the flagger lets the riders out on the track one by one.
GuyB
Fantasy
1274th
3/28/2017 11:34am
I don't think the Alex/Christian deal was early in that practice.

Also, I've watched the start of practices. If the flag guy flinches the tiniest bit, the riders are ready to launch. They watch him like a hawk, but I don't think he's to blame.
RyanD797
Fantasy
464th
3/28/2017 11:35am
I say stop timing the practice and you'll see a lot less carnage and I think it will open the track up a bit more in...
I say stop timing the practice and you'll see a lot less carnage and I think it will open the track up a bit more in terms of lines. They might be a little more concerned with learning how the track races than getting one good lap. I'm not sure how they'd do gate picks but I'm sure they could figure it out
Draw clothes pins.
lostboy819
Fantasy
1568th
3/28/2017 12:27pm
Matthes wrote:
What I said numerous times was that the riders are still to blame, it's not the flag guys fault that these guys are losing their minds...

Matthes who likes to stir up trouble apparently REALLY loves this part of his job. Just a thought.Cool
stremme12
Fantasy
3648th
3/28/2017 12:32pm
JS7 was always one of those guys who would never leave first in qualifying and he seemed to always qualify alright.
Dimblewambie
3/28/2017 12:35pm
Doing a tritip and beer can chicken Saturday, PM for addy.
rrjr
3/28/2017 12:48pm
Super pole qualifying. Give everyone two 10 minute sessions of free practice. Then they get one lap on a clear track to lay down their best time. Then nobody can complain about someone getting in their way.
rrjr
3/28/2017 12:50pm
Ted722 wrote:
What are you going to with the guys that don't have any points?
Ted722
3/28/2017 12:53pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 12:55pm
Ted722 wrote:
rrjr wrote:
Talking about Group A. Let the 5 or so leave together. It's more about the beginning of the session.
Motofinne
3/28/2017 12:54pm
Ted722 wrote:
rrjr wrote:
Some riders in B practice have points some don't. Those who don't goes in what ever order.
MXD
3/28/2017 12:56pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 12:58pm
rrjr wrote:
Super pole qualifying. Give everyone two 10 minute sessions of free practice. Then they get one lap on a clear track to lay down their best...
Super pole qualifying. Give everyone two 10 minute sessions of free practice. Then they get one lap on a clear track to lay down their best time. Then nobody can complain about someone getting in their way.
Then you have to worry about the track breaking down. That works on a hard racing surface but it would be tough to pull off on dirt. The track would change so much from the first guy to the last. Even more so when the dirt is different from week to week. A better idea might be to break up the sessions into smaller groups. Instead of 3 groups of 20, maybe 4 groups of 15? Or divide the top 30 by odd and even numbers into groups. Odd numbers are session 1 and even numbers are session 2.
peelout
3/28/2017 12:58pm
how much whiskey is too much whiskey when posting a flagger thread on Vital?
HenryA
3/28/2017 1:02pm
Replace the flagger with:
gt80rider
3/28/2017 1:10pm
Ifmar qualifying, just sayn... (And even that would still suck)
Ted722
3/28/2017 1:31pm
peelout wrote:
I don't know peelout, I think there's some fireball in there too.
Motofinne
3/28/2017 1:32pm
peelout wrote:
Ted722 wrote:
I don't know peelout, I think there's some fireball in there too.
With a mix of absinthe.
Matt Wozney
3/28/2017 1:34pm
HenryA wrote:
Replace the flagger with: [IMG]https://l7.alamy.com/zooms/ef4e42b60e96477087f9b6d855dc1740/marina-bay-singapore-18th-september-2014-formula-1-grand-prix-singapore-e7hej0.jpg[/IMG]
Replace the flagger with:
I agree.
Tenacious P
3/28/2017 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 3/28/2017 2:10pm
I agree with OP, but this sport loves placing blame and hates taking responsibility. They will go so far as to blame the FLAG GUY for CC railing AM. This was even after CC made a statement and apologized.

Personally, I vote for Le Mans starts for 2018.
Jake_CR250R
3/28/2017 3:43pm
I also thought they seemed to be searching a little too far for someone to blame by putting in on the starting flagger. I haven't seen what he's been doing, but I'm sure riders are doing alot of other things the pump them up, and a flagger won't change that much.
racer495a
3/28/2017 3:49pm
Ted722 wrote:
+1 agreed. I also think these guys need to chill and just learn the track. Dungey and Tomac don't freak out over a practice lap time, they understand the points are awarded in the mains.

Post a reply to: Blaming the AMA flag guy in practice.

The Latest