Bike sitting for years

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2019 2:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 2:37 PM

Have a kawi 450 and haven’t cranked it in probably 4 or 5 years. I know. I know. Busy times.

I wouldn’t attempt to crank without changing oil and gas.

Is there anything to worry about or watch out for with it being so long?

|

7/10/2019 2:42 PM

Busy 5 straight years? No time to start a bike. Wow. Okay. Change the fluids, fire it up. Use your vital mx posting time to start it every now and then.

|

7/10/2019 2:42 PM

Oh man, did you run it dry before you parked it? Carb/injectors may be plugged. Can you move the kickstarter at all?

|

7/10/2019 2:51 PM

I thought maybe you were watching someone’s bike while they were out of town! “ bike sitting “ 🤦🏻‍♂️

|

7/10/2019 2:51 PM

Make sure your air filter isn't falling apart.

|

7/10/2019 3:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 3:10 PM

Almost certain the Fuel injector is blocked due to gummed up fuel and possibly the fuel pump itself. 2 years sitting did it on my little bros 09 Kawi 450, new injector is about 100$ on eBay. Fuel pump was saved by soaking in clean fuel for a few nights, then reinstalling and kicking the bike to get it to squirt some gas. Good luck.

|

7/10/2019 3:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 3:49 PM

Yeah I pretty much just got out of riding and life and stress got in the way and being lazy to be honest. I’ll get into it. Thanks for the tips. Just didn’t want to mess things up when I finally did decide to go riding.

|

7/10/2019 3:50 PM

kdizzle_rider wrote:

Almost certain the Fuel injector is blocked due to gummed up fuel and possibly the fuel pump itself. 2 years sitting did it on my little bros 09 Kawi 450, new injector is about 100$ on eBay. Fuel pump was saved by soaking in clean fuel for a few nights, then reinstalling and kicking the bike to get it to squirt some gas. Good luck.

Mine is an 09 also.

|

7/10/2019 3:59 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 7:37 AM

Dont start it man. Valves are probably rusted to the head........


...sarcasm guys

|

7/10/2019 4:21 PM

Some of you are so dramatic lol. Kick it over i bet it fires right up then change the fluids.

|

7/10/2019 4:27 PM

Heck yeah! Super stoked for you! Getting ready to set a new world record for driving through gates of fire?

|

7/10/2019 4:31 PM

You probably will blow the shock and forks pretty quick. I would have them rebuilt before I rode it. Nothing like hitting a jump at speed and having everything collapse

|

7/10/2019 6:27 PM

Yeah I’ll take it somewhere most likely to a local mechanic before I attempt to ride it just to be safe. Probably not worth it on my own. That is if I decide to ride again. If I got back into riding I would most likely sell it anyways and get a newer bike.

|

7/10/2019 6:30 PM

RyanD797 wrote:

Make sure your air filter isn't falling apart.

Been there before

|

7/10/2019 7:12 PM

I would bet that the water pump seals has seized and need to be replaced.

Paw Paw

|

7/10/2019 7:19 PM

I had a street bike I didn’t ride/start for maybe 3-5 years. I opened the gas tank one day getting ready to sell it and it had formed like crystals all inside the tank. Looked almost like fuzzy mold but was some kinda crazy gas crystals. Some form of chemical change was occurring. Anyone had this happen before? This was a metal tank. Perhaps it was gas rust growing? I really don’t know what it was.

|

7/10/2019 7:21 PM

you’re probably going to die the first time you kick it over

|

7/10/2019 7:26 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Some of you are so dramatic lol. Kick it over i bet it fires right up then change the fluids.

Agreed

Check the air filter. Is the gas tank empty ? If not, dump that smelly gas out and refill it with fresh gas. It’ll most likely fire right up. You’re not going to hurt anything trying to start it

|

7/10/2019 7:31 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Some of you are so dramatic lol. Kick it over i bet it fires right up then change the fluids.

langhammx wrote:

Agreed

Check the air filter. Is the gas tank empty ? If not, dump that smelly gas out and refill it with fresh gas. It’ll most likely fire right up. You’re not going to hurt anything trying to start it

Exactly, what do you think a mechanic at a shop is going to do?

It’s either going to start or not, then you can worry about spending money and finding out why.

|

7/10/2019 7:33 PM

zehn wrote:

you’re probably going to die the first time you kick it over


He has a Maico 490?
|

7/10/2019 7:33 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 7:34 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Some of you are so dramatic lol. Kick it over i bet it fires right up then change the fluids.

langhammx wrote:

Agreed

Check the air filter. Is the gas tank empty ? If not, dump that smelly gas out and refill it with fresh gas. It’ll most likely fire right up. You’re not going to hurt anything trying to start it

UGOTBIT wrote:

Exactly, what do you think a mechanic at a shop is going to do?

It’s either going to start or not, then you can worry about spending money and finding out why.

Bingo. 5 years is nothing. Ive seen cars sitting for 20, 30, or even longer fire up with little more then a fresh battery and pouring some fuel down its throat to wake it up.

Valves rusted to the head was the funniest reply ive seen yet.

|

7/10/2019 7:53 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 7:53 PM

Paw Paw 271 wrote:

I would bet that the water pump seals has seized and need to be replaced.

Paw Paw

Indeed...

The hard shaft finish worn away by seal friction, left to sit and the lil' rust ridges form at the seal lips and chows the seals, causing leaks.

Brake system needs a going over as well.

Left to sit 4-5 years? Stored indoors or outdoors ?... Big difference.

|

.

7/10/2019 8:00 PM

(I don’t advise doing it) but it would probably just fire up even if you didn’t touch anything, people so dramatic here

|

7/10/2019 8:14 PM

Fresh gas and 2 squirts. Fucking drama queens here

|

I was G before the "moto drive" to Vital

7/10/2019 8:31 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 8:34 PM

Torque you sprocket bolts.

Dump left over gas. get to the injector, spritz with carb cleaner, change your oil, check air filter. Give it a shot. Don't try to put it in gear until it is good and warm and the clutch feels loosey goosey. I've brought quite a few vintage bikes to life and it really hasn't takenany more than that.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

7/10/2019 8:42 PM

Its a fuckin dirt bike. New fuel. Prime it with a teaspoon of gas down the plug hole. 1 kick it will be running.

Warm it up and change the oil. Re-Oil air filter or clean if needed.

People overthink this shit,.



|

7/10/2019 8:47 PM

One thing I'd recommend is popping the valve cover off and running a bit of oil over the cam lobes and valve buckets. Then, kick the thing over a few times with the kill switch pressed just to get oil flowing again and you should be good. It takes a little while for oil to work its way up there and I've seen premature wear due to bikes sitting for extended periods of time.

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh




7/10/2019 8:48 PM

DONT TOUCH THAT MOTHERFUCKER WITHOUT A LEVEL 1 HAZMAT SUIT. Do NOT touch that mofo...

|

7/10/2019 9:00 PM

level wrote:

Have a kawi 450 and haven’t cranked it in probably 4 or 5 years. I know. I know. Busy times.

I wouldn’t attempt to crank without changing oil and gas.

Is there anything to worry about or watch out for with it being so long?

You had the time to start 907 different threads on vital but no time to ride? you need to get your priority's straight.

|

Ed Johnson

7/10/2019 10:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 10:47 PM

level wrote:

Have a kawi 450 and haven’t cranked it in probably 4 or 5 years. I know. I know. Busy times.

I wouldn’t attempt to crank without changing oil and gas.

Is there anything to worry about or watch out for with it being so long?

lostboy819 wrote:

You had the time to start 907 different threads on vital but no time to ride? you need to get your priority's straight.

It's OK, "level"

The wildly divergent suggestions as to what you need to do to revive your bike are all over the proverbial "Map".

Sorry you are such a "spot". Good Luck. Ask Santa for a new one. Cool that you are a fan.

|

.