Bike rack/carrier V2.0

FWYT
Built this awesome bike carrier for the back of my Rav4. This is actually version 2.0. (I've posted the first version before somewhere here on Vital.) I know there are tons of people that have no problem whatsoever with the hitch mounted carriers but watching them sway around that single mounting point causes my anxiety to skyrocket.

So the idea here is that the bike is supported under each wheel. Way more solid. And then the rack tucks into place to look like a bumper when not in use so it can just stay on the car. Unobtrusive and out of the way. No big carrier to take off and set on the side of the house (or leave on the car where you whack your shin on that tie down mount that sticks out.) I used a similar sort of set-up, version 1.0 on my last car and it just worked FANTASTIC. Yes, the Rav4 is a little low so I have to watch it here and there but that's not a big issue.

Party on, Garth.

|
FWYT
1/3/2021 9:34am Edited Date/Time 1/3/2021 9:43am
what make are the over center latches?
Not sure. Some no-name. They are rated at 300lbs. or so each. Got them a few years ago for version 1.0
and I just recall when I was looking around online, they seemed to jump in size from this to really giant and
not much in between so I went with these. Been fine so far. I recall they were about $22 each or something.

Not sure if these are them but it's something along these lines.
https://north40.com/koch-industries-tightener-orange-3

I think "load binders" might be a more accurate search description.

Post a reply to: Bike rack/carrier V2.0

The Latest