Bike carrier on an motorhome

Related:
Create New Tag

8/1/2019 6:50 AM

So I'm considering buying a small Class C RV and have heard from most people that using a motojack to carry my CRF ( probably a total weight of around 300-325 lbs including bike ) on the back hitch of a motorhome could result in a nightmare...
Anyone out there run that kind of setup ? Any advice ?

Thanks

|

8/1/2019 7:07 AM

My pops hauls his Grom on the back of his motorhome. Not quite the same but, his is solid when I was following him down the road.

|

Instagram: logi.bear93
Youtube: Logi. Bear93

8/1/2019 7:55 AM

Check the weight rating of the hitch, if you are under it you should be fine.
Some class c units don't have much tow capacity.

|

8/1/2019 8:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/1/2019 9:32 AM

KTMsc wrote:

Check the weight rating of the hitch, if you are under it you should be fine.
Some class c units don't have much tow capacity.

A big issue with this for many class Cs more than the weight rating is that they have a lot of body hanging out past the rear wheels, and they already drag over steeper curbs/driveways -- as in gas stations -- even before sticking something heavier/longer back there

|

8/1/2019 12:08 PM

I have been thinking about doing to same thing in a few years if we get a std motorhome.

I have had a rack jack for years and used it on Silverado, Tahoe and still use it local on Honda Pilot.

You have to pick up the bike a couple inches to slide it on but my fear would be the RV hitch would be much higher so putting the bike on could be a pain ..... in your back.

I would use a longer ramp carrier with both wheels in not just the frame cradle

|

8/1/2019 12:16 PM

It should work fine.

Paw Paw

|

8/1/2019 12:25 PM

Cheap hitch carrier from harbor freight is all I've used for years. Never had any issues. I did buy a better stabilizer to stop it from rocking on Amazon.

|

8/1/2019 12:30 PM

chilly72 wrote:

So I'm considering buying a small Class C RV and have heard from most people that using a motojack to carry my CRF ( probably a total weight of around 300-325 lbs including bike ) on the back hitch of a motorhome could result in a nightmare...
Anyone out there run that kind of setup ? Any advice ?

Thanks

Why would it be a nightmare?

|

8/1/2019 2:21 PM

Can’t you put it inside?

|

8/1/2019 2:39 PM

|

8/1/2019 3:08 PM

Slapaho thanks for the pics didn't consider the front as an option

And to an earlier question about it being a nightmare is because I've seen YouTube videos of bike racks not being handled well by rv hitches and literally bike carrier falling off while driving due to weak hitch on the RV

Thanks for all the info 👍

|

8/1/2019 4:47 PM

Bigfoot garage model!

Photo

|

8/1/2019 6:41 PM

Timo, tell me more. That's freaking perfect. My bike and kids pw would be just fine in there.

|

8/2/2019 4:06 AM

Meister wrote:

Timo, tell me more. That's freaking perfect. My bike and kids pw would be just fine in there.

Not really small at 29'8" long, but so far I'm pretty happy with it. They made them from 1998-2009, it's a Bigfoot 29G. Solidly built motorhome, but I think they are a bit overpriced on the used market. This one is a 05 model that I found with only 15,000 miles on it back in May, it's at 24,000 miles now lol. The garage is under the queen size bed, so it's big enough to fit my FX and my wife's TTR, says not to exceed 330lbs, but it handles both bikes without any handling issues. Going to load my Maxim-X in it for a lake trip this weekend! FYI, any one you buy will probably need some work. This one was hardly used, but was still 14 years old. Tires were 10 years old, and the AC cover was rapidly biodegrading on our last road trip.

|

8/2/2019 5:12 AM

I have a class A diesel pusher with it mounted on the front so I can pull my boat or tow my Jeep. You also can see it so no worries if it fell off a few miles back..

|

8/2/2019 6:56 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/2/2019 6:57 AM

Many years back, before they were available, I built a hauler and went to Mammoth with it many times. Never an issue. The M/H I have now is an old class C with the beds in the back. Removed the beds and cut a hole in the side for 3 bikes and gear. I installed air bags and it gets used often. As long as the hitch is rated, the only problem you might have is from not loading your bike properly. haha PS, it's a 26 footer.

|