Bike Insurance

DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
1/1/2018 9:05am
Im seeing it more often anymore with bikes getting stolen.

PLEASE insure them its cheap & its the piece of mind. Only making the post for the people who may not know where to obtain a policy.

My Progressive policy is only $74 for the year on my 2017 KTM. I didn't do the collision, just the comprehensive policy.
It can be from my house, truck, or track it doesn't matter its covered.
|
Indy mxer
1/1/2018 9:24am
I hate seeing people getting bikes stolen. But that said, I never understood not having insurance on them.
If you can afford a bike and what it costs to ride, you should be able to afford insurance. And you're right, compared to a car it's cheap.

I've always had a hard time having any sympathy for people that get bikes stolen and don't have insurance.

Hell, I don't want mine stolen. But if they were, no big deal, take them. I'll buy a new one. lol
mxb2
1/1/2018 9:28am
Indy mxer wrote:
I hate seeing people getting bikes stolen. But that said, I never understood not having insurance on them. If you can afford a bike and what...
I hate seeing people getting bikes stolen. But that said, I never understood not having insurance on them.
If you can afford a bike and what it costs to ride, you should be able to afford insurance. And you're right, compared to a car it's cheap.

I've always had a hard time having any sympathy for people that get bikes stolen and don't have insurance.

Hell, I don't want mine stolen. But if they were, no big deal, take them. I'll buy a new one. lol
Exactly 5-15k toys, insure them. They are either rich or dumb.
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
1/1/2018 9:33am
Indy mxer wrote:
I hate seeing people getting bikes stolen. But that said, I never understood not having insurance on them. If you can afford a bike and what...

mxb2 wrote:
Or not educated on the topic most think home owners would cover them
wacker
1/1/2018 9:37am
It is seriously so cheap it is ridiculous. I have 3 of mine insured with Geico and its $17/month for all 3. Granted money will never replace what I have into them or what they are, it is a decent piece of mind. If I saw my 125 or my '94 CR MC replica doing a wheelie down the street in a youtube video that wasn't me I would be pretty bummed, but if it were a $9k 450 I would just go pick up another and be on my merry little way.

The Shop

JohnnyD13
1/1/2018 9:48am
Every bike I sell, I plead with them to have it covered. I had my bikes stolen when I was 19. Pit bike, 450 and 250 2 stroke. It hurts for sure
Indy mxer
1/1/2018 9:50am
wacker wrote:
It is seriously so cheap it is ridiculous. I have 3 of mine insured with Geico and its $17/month for all 3. Granted money will never...
It is seriously so cheap it is ridiculous. I have 3 of mine insured with Geico and its $17/month for all 3. Granted money will never replace what I have into them or what they are, it is a decent piece of mind. If I saw my 125 or my '94 CR MC replica doing a wheelie down the street in a youtube video that wasn't me I would be pretty bummed, but if it were a $9k 450 I would just go pick up another and be on my merry little way.
Yeah you're right. Classic bikes are a different story. That would really suck!!

But like you said. Mines a 16 450. No biggie, I'll just get an 18.
Although it's still not cool. I wouldn't get my money back I spent on my suspension and aftermarket stuff.

And I don't understand people thinking homeowners covers them. I figured by now everybody would know better.
The key word in there is "home". Bikes have nothing to do with your home. lol
mxb2
1/1/2018 9:50am
Indy mxer wrote:

mxb2 wrote:
DTR830 wrote:
Or not educated on the topic most think home owners would cover them
Make phone calls. And do research before buying. Simple
305FC250
1/1/2018 9:57am
Try living in south Florida. Progressive want's $200 a month per bike for my 2 bikes for just comprehensive and nothing else. Shit is ridiculous and I refuse to pay it. I can get coverage on a car for less money....
uxcryno
1/1/2018 10:02am
It was $89.00 a year with progressive for my 12 yz250. When I got my 18 KTM 450. It only went up like 47.00. So $137.00 a year for a 10k bike not bad at all
Indy mxer
1/1/2018 10:02am
305FC250 wrote:
Try living in south Florida. Progressive want's $200 a month per bike for my 2 bikes for just comprehensive and nothing else. Shit is ridiculous and...
Try living in south Florida. Progressive want's $200 a month per bike for my 2 bikes for just comprehensive and nothing else. Shit is ridiculous and I refuse to pay it. I can get coverage on a car for less money....
Wow!! That's high as hell.

I'd have give that some serious thought.

That may be an exception to the argument. lol
RandyS
1/1/2018 10:10am
I went to Progressives website and try to get a quote but there were no dirt bikes on any list that I found? I have a car policy with them, do you just have to call to do it?
mxb2
1/1/2018 10:20am
RandyS wrote:
I went to Progressives website and try to get a quote but there were no dirt bikes on any list that I found? I have a...
I went to Progressives website and try to get a quote but there were no dirt bikes on any list that I found? I have a car policy with them, do you just have to call to do it?
Call them, phone service is 24/7
fast willy
1/1/2018 10:29am
My 2018 350sxf is insured through progressive & cost $150 yr. I have a $3000 aftermarket parts coverage that came with my policy. Back in 08 my 300xcw was stolen. I reported it to the police reported it to my insurance and 1 month later I ended up getting the check plus the 3 grand in after market parts. It was a win win as it covered all my parts and I walked into the dealer and bought a brand new bike and still had about $1800 left over to buy some after market parts. Sometimes people are on the fence about insuring a bike, but for a $150 it covers my $9000 dirt bike, God forbid something happens to it. #peaceofmind
Bruce372
1/1/2018 10:31am
Progressive are good, farmers have their own separate company that does off road stuff and are good also
Bruce372
1/1/2018 10:32am
305FC250 wrote:
Try living in south Florida. Progressive want's $200 a month per bike for my 2 bikes for just comprehensive and nothing else. Shit is ridiculous and...
I would call around, or see if a family member could buy from another state
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
1/1/2018 10:49am
DTR830 wrote:
Im seeing it more often anymore with bikes getting stolen. PLEASE insure them its cheap & its the piece of mind. Only making the post for...
Im seeing it more often anymore with bikes getting stolen.

PLEASE insure them its cheap & its the piece of mind. Only making the post for the people who may not know where to obtain a policy.

My Progressive policy is only $74 for the year on my 2017 KTM. I didn't do the collision, just the comprehensive policy.
It can be from my house, truck, or track it doesn't matter its covered.
You do know the rates are cheap because the odds of it being stolen are very low. Insurance companies do not want to lose and they rarely do. They are a billion dollar a year industry because they play the odds in their favor

I have owned multiple bikes at once for the past 50 years and have yet to have one stolen. They are locked in the garage and when we were on overnighters they slept in the hotel room with us. Most of my friends were riders/racers and don’t recall any having a bike stolen. To me it’s a waste of money, no matter how little it is. If you have a bike stolen you need to be a little more careful on where you leave it.

But that’s just my opinion. I’m the one that hates giving insurance companies any more than I am required by law. They are crooks with a license to steal.
305FC250
1/1/2018 12:13pm
305FC250 wrote:
Bruce372 wrote:
I would call around, or see if a family member could buy from another state
I thought about the family member thing as I have grandparents that live in Murphy, NC. Small town with low crime. I imagine the rates would be extremely cheap. But should I be the victim of theft here in Florida, would that present any issues when filing the claim? Would they question where the bikes actually are kept? Would the claim effect my grandparents auto insurance rates? It's something I've considered but just want to make sure I have all my bases covered so in the unfortunate event I do need to actually make a claim, it's a smooth process, and obviously it's not something I can just ask the insurance agent.
c0ncEpT
1/1/2018 1:30pm
My policy cost about $120/year. It's a no brainier.
fisher725
1/1/2018 2:22pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Progressive are good, farmers have their own separate company that does off road stuff and are good also
Foremost is Farmers company for their specialty products like motorcycles, boats, rvs... That's who I have our bikes insured with. I don't remember what I pay but I just added a '18 150SX for $68/year. My 450 was somewhere just north of $100 and my boys 65 was pretty cheap. It is for Comp and Collision as well as liability coverage. Not that I would ever need liability but they make you have it on their policies.
Jack_Wagon
1/1/2018 2:40pm
I have 3 YZ250Fs insured by Pogressive. Two are stock. One I have insured for $20k. It's only $700 a year for full coverage and covers up to $3000 in upgrades on the stock bikes.
harescrambled
Fantasy
1864th
1/1/2018 3:51pm
305FC250 wrote:
I thought about the family member thing as I have grandparents that live in Murphy, NC. Small town with low crime. I imagine the rates would...
I thought about the family member thing as I have grandparents that live in Murphy, NC. Small town with low crime. I imagine the rates would be extremely cheap. But should I be the victim of theft here in Florida, would that present any issues when filing the claim? Would they question where the bikes actually are kept? Would the claim effect my grandparents auto insurance rates? It's something I've considered but just want to make sure I have all my bases covered so in the unfortunate event I do need to actually make a claim, it's a smooth process, and obviously it's not something I can just ask the insurance agent.
That's known as fraud. It's a felony for those who don't know.

Post a reply to: Bike Insurance

The Latest