Bike Build Electric RMZ

rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
10/6/2020 8:11am
rivvs wrote:
The motor is from a chinese company. Looking around online I have seen good review about it but I havent seen people who used it for...
The motor is from a chinese company. Looking around online I have seen good review about it but I havent seen people who used it for motocross riding more like enduro. So we will try it. The goal for this bike is to be able to performe on an mx track like the alta. There is also the possibility that it is going to be a piece of shit haha we will see. And considering the countershaft if there is a problem we can always build another version.

I can’t quite make the model number out from the picture. Do you happen to recall it?
QS 138 90H
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
10/6/2020 8:15am
OG725 wrote:
That is really cool! I'm assuming the torque is phenomenal? What is the power delivery like, smooth or abrupt? As much as it pains me to...
That is really cool! I'm assuming the torque is phenomenal? What is the power delivery like, smooth or abrupt?

As much as it pains me to say this, I'm actually looking forward to seeing the progression of the E market. I'm thinking a stripped down MX bike or a DH MTB on steroids. Saw one recently that I thought was really cool, the Alta. And then they were gone!
WE have not tested it yet
Skerby
10/6/2020 8:24am
Need more stuff like this. I see all these Emtb guys and Im just thinking "put a twist throttle on that thing already, you guys aren't fooling anyone with the pedal assist bs"

The Shop

rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
12/3/2020 6:57pm
Little update we finished the bike.
weight: 255 lbs but it feels way lighter than that when moving it around.Feels lighter than my ktm.
I have a lot of tuning but as of now it feels like a 125 but with more power down low.

numbers
12/3/2020 7:03pm
rivvs wrote:
Hi' I want want to show you guys a project I have been working on with my brother, 2010 Rmz 450 converted to electric. The goal...
Hi' I want want to show you guys a project I have been working on with my brother,
2010 Rmz 450 converted to electric. The goal is to have around 43 hp.
And this is not the number that will be on the bike!

I dont know how DM . Id like to know some specifics if ya don't mind on the motor and battery types you used. Thinking about doing this to a KX100 big wheel frame.
12/3/2020 7:16pm Edited Date/Time 12/3/2020 7:17pm
Bruce372 wrote:
Nice.

If I had the resources, I'd put a big block v8 in a tesla...
That’s a good way to slow down a Tesla 🤣
12/3/2020 7:31pm
rivvs wrote:
Little update we finished the bike. weight: 255 lbs but it feels way lighter than that when moving it around.Feels lighter than my ktm. I have...
Little update we finished the bike.
weight: 255 lbs but it feels way lighter than that when moving it around.Feels lighter than my ktm.
I have a lot of tuning but as of now it feels like a 125 but with more power down low.

Awesome, post a video riding it!
APLMAN99
12/5/2020 10:54am
rivvs wrote:
Changed a couple settings today and its alot faster now I almost looped out on the street. All tracks are closed because of winter so can't...
Changed a couple settings today and its alot faster now I almost looped out on the street.
All tracks are closed because of winter so can't fully test the bike but here is a start I did today.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIZPpj7BruU/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
That almost looked a little bit slow, then I realized that the back tire never actually got much traction at all. Just a little bit of rolling on the throttle to let the rear hook up and it looks like that could be a rocket!
12/6/2020 1:10am Edited Date/Time 12/6/2020 1:12am
Sick. Have you though about an e-clutch? On a 125 you hold it wide open and govern power with the clutch. And if it bogs you fan the clutch. Given an e-bike is controlled entirely by the throttle, and the controller is mapped. Well even if you didn’t delve into the controller mapping you could build a seperate unit to combine clutch and throttle inputs electronically. Whiskey throttle is an issue. Ask Doug Henry. There is more control of power with finger grip than wrist twist. And if you DID delve into the controller mapping. Well.
The Moto Log
12/6/2020 6:03am
So how much do you think you have into the conversion money wise?
jerrett
Fantasy
47th
12/6/2020 6:10am
@rivvs great work man. This thing is badass. I'd be really interested to know all the electrical components you used. I've been really interested in starting an electric project for a while and it seems like there are good options available now to do it.
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
12/6/2020 9:21am
It the first time I ride an electric bike and I am hooked! It so much fun. In the video I could not get any traction it dug around 5 inches deep rut all the way! Considering the e-clutch I don't think it needs it I can map the trhottle and the engine to get the best setting etc. The it is settup now It hit very hard maybe i will need to detune it a bit.
For the cost I have around 5000 to 6000 canadian dollar invested (including the price of the bike itself)
Broseph
12/6/2020 9:32am
DA498 wrote:
About 746 watts per 1 HP, but I’m sure you knew that

“Lol”
gt80rider wrote:
oh.. you can do the "conversion"...... but in electric, spodes use the term horsepower... WATTAGE is the terminology most commonly used.... you wanky boomer you..... LMFAO......

You keep bringing up kV, but that’s the abbreviation for kilovolts (kv or kV). The unit you’re looking for is Kv.

spode.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/6/2020 12:06pm
Sick. Have you though about an e-clutch? On a 125 you hold it wide open and govern power with the clutch. And if it bogs you...
Sick. Have you though about an e-clutch? On a 125 you hold it wide open and govern power with the clutch. And if it bogs you fan the clutch. Given an e-bike is controlled entirely by the throttle, and the controller is mapped. Well even if you didn’t delve into the controller mapping you could build a seperate unit to combine clutch and throttle inputs electronically. Whiskey throttle is an issue. Ask Doug Henry. There is more control of power with finger grip than wrist twist. And if you DID delve into the controller mapping. Well.
Ask Ronnie Renner about whiskey throttle on the Alta. I personally would want a clutch just for that time that shit goes sideways. It does happen and even if I never used the clutch any other time, I’d want it just for that one time things go south.
Camp332
12/6/2020 1:08pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Ask Ronnie Renner about whiskey throttle on the Alta. I personally would want a clutch just for that time that shit goes sideways. It does happen...
Ask Ronnie Renner about whiskey throttle on the Alta. I personally would want a clutch just for that time that shit goes sideways. It does happen and even if I never used the clutch any other time, I’d want it just for that one time things go south.
Holy crap! I saw that Ronnie Renner whiskey clip the other day. Scary deal.

rivvs that RMZ is really cool.
hard2kill
12/7/2020 10:28am
rivvs wrote:
The motor is from a chinese company. Looking around online I have seen good review about it but I havent seen people who used it for...
The motor is from a chinese company. Looking around online I have seen good review about it but I havent seen people who used it for motocross riding more like enduro. So we will try it. The goal for this bike is to be able to performe on an mx track like the alta. There is also the possibility that it is going to be a piece of shit haha we will see. And considering the countershaft if there is a problem we can always build another version.

What Controller did you use for this build? Also would it be possible to flip the motor around and do away with the jackshaft?
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
12/7/2020 4:10pm
rivvs wrote:

hard2kill wrote:
What Controller did you use for this build? Also would it be possible to flip the motor around and do away with the jackshaft?
ASI controller
Yes it would be possible but then you have the sprocket far from the swingarm and you eed to get a custom made rear sprocket to have the correct reduction.
12/7/2020 4:39pm
Amazing build! Looking forward to updates and seeing how it hooks up on non-frozen ground!
CM_84
12/7/2020 8:13pm
This is a super interesting build.
Thanks for sharing, I will be keeping an eye out for updates.
StevieTimes
12/7/2020 10:02pm
face biter wrote:
You have to bolt a kickstarter to it, just for nostalgia.... and grins.
...or just paint a realistic looking kickstarter on the side!

I would love to put that motor in a YSR50! On second thought...

So I know nothing, and only dream of one day doing something like this to my YSR 50. Your work looks outstanding! Nicely done!

In my "fantasy Yamaha future e-bike" design, and as an outsider who knows nothing... it's too bad that down spar near the front can't be pushed towards the front wheel a little more. In my imagination, the battery box becomes a battery "fit wherever it can" to get the weight as far down as possible, in line with the wheels as much as able. I imagine that one could get separate cells, wire them together, and have them fit wherever they can, making a custom "box" with the weight in front of the motor as much as possible, with whatever doesn't fit in front of the motor, is above it.

I can see that blocking the air to the motor more too... I am no expert. We'll wait for the major manufacturers to come out with their 9th year models to see how refined they'll get.

Nice work! Thanks for sharing.
Adam43
12/8/2020 9:05am
rivvs wrote:
It the first time I ride an electric bike and I am hooked! It so much fun. In the video I could not get any traction...
It the first time I ride an electric bike and I am hooked! It so much fun. In the video I could not get any traction it dug around 5 inches deep rut all the way! Considering the e-clutch I don't think it needs it I can map the trhottle and the engine to get the best setting etc. The it is settup now It hit very hard maybe i will need to detune it a bit.
For the cost I have around 5000 to 6000 canadian dollar invested (including the price of the bike itself)
Gear it taller?
early
Fantasy
2231st
12/8/2020 9:16am
Where did you source the battery? Did you build it yourself? How are you charging it? Looks damn good!
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
12/8/2020 4:17pm
early wrote:
Where did you source the battery? Did you build it yourself? How are you charging it? Looks damn good!
I built the battery myself inspired from the battery design of tesla.
Bac 8000 the 4000 wouldhave been too slow.
cmotodad
12/8/2020 5:57pm Edited Date/Time 12/8/2020 5:59pm
Did you use 18650's for batteries? Are you running the bms on charge only? Or are you regulating on discharge too? I am part way thru a very similar build. I am also running a gear reduction shaft as I am not too keen on the oversized rear sprockets necessary to get the correct ratio for the electric motors without the clutch reduction on an ICE bike. It just takes some time to source which parts and then fitting them together. Looks great, after watching your video, I can't wait to get mine to spinning.
12/9/2020 7:46am
cmotodad wrote:
Did you use 18650's for batteries? Are you running the bms on charge only? Or are you regulating on discharge too? I am part way thru...
Did you use 18650's for batteries? Are you running the bms on charge only? Or are you regulating on discharge too? I am part way thru a very similar build. I am also running a gear reduction shaft as I am not too keen on the oversized rear sprockets necessary to get the correct ratio for the electric motors without the clutch reduction on an ICE bike. It just takes some time to source which parts and then fitting them together. Looks great, after watching your video, I can't wait to get mine to spinning.
What battery's are you using and how many parallel and series.
rivvs
Fantasy
1542nd
12/9/2020 5:13pm
cmotodad wrote:
Did you use 18650's for batteries? Are you running the bms on charge only? Or are you regulating on discharge too? I am part way thru...
18650 cells and bms only for charging.

Post a reply to: Bike Build Electric RMZ

The Latest