Biggest Motocross Busts?

SBO
Edited Date/Time 5/17/2020 11:59pm
Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do you guys think? Here are some guys that come to mind for me.

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

Could you consider TP199 as a bust?

|
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/15/2020 10:15am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2020 10:24am
SBO wrote:
Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do...
Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do you guys think? Here are some guys that come to mind for me.

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

Travis sold more Suzuki's in his career than RC, so, no.

Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you came in with. I don't think Baker, Gannon or Darryn came in with anything close to the hype of guys like Alessi, Millsaps, J-Law as vtec said. Bradshaw would be considered a bust compared to the hype coming out of the 125 class. Same for JS7. Or Bogle, Wilson, Barcia, etc. etc.

The thing is, it's all relative and Amateur is not the same as 125/250 class, which is not the same as the 250/450 class.

I personally don't think any of these guys were "Busts" except for very few like Izzi who threw his career away, or guys like Hill or Hanny who had a ton of potential and just didn't put in the work. I don't consider anyone a bust due to bad luck, team circumstances, injuries, etc. They're all great riders who made it to the top .1% of racers in our sport.
5/15/2020 10:23am
SBO wrote:
Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do...

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TP199 is one of the most successful riders of all time, how is he a bust?
Forty
5/15/2020 10:25am
This thread is a bust so far. Hope it gets better.
Mr. Afterbar
5/15/2020 10:29am
Expectations versus results as a racer is what he meant, I believe. Travis is insanely successful in life and as a racer, but there is no doubt that he didn’t match the expectations that were put on him as a young motocross and Supercross prospect. I say that with all due respect.

The Shop

ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
5/15/2020 11:29am
But not one of the most successful mx/sx racers.

OTOH, he has incredible success in charting his own way, based on riding skill and infectious enthusiasm.
dimetime
5/15/2020 11:34am
ACBraap wrote:

OTOH, he has incredible success in charting his own way, based on riding skill and infectious enthusiasm.
I'm sorry but when you win a national outdoor championship, you were successful. Period.
IWreckALot
5/15/2020 11:43am Edited Date/Time 5/15/2020 11:45am
SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:
Travis sold more Suzuki's in his career than RC, so, no. Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you...

Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you came in with. I don't think Baker, Gannon or Darryn came in with anything close to the hype of guys like Alessi, Millsaps, J-Law as vtec said. Bradshaw would be considered a bust compared to the hype coming out of the 125 class. Same for JS7. Or Bogle, Wilson, Barcia, etc. etc.

The thing is, it's all relative and Amateur is not the same as 125/250 class, which is not the same as the 250/450 class.

I personally don't think any of these guys were "Busts" except for very few like Izzi who threw his career away, or guys like Hill or Hanny who had a ton of potential and just didn't put in the work. I don't consider anyone a bust due to bad luck, team circumstances, injuries, etc. They're all great riders who made it to the top .1% of racers in our sport.
Pretty well agree with you.

But Izzi's problems stemmed from his injury followed by his team owner backing him into a corner and told to take pain pills and ride or lose his ride. He made the decision and the rest is history. But I chalk his end result up to injury also.

I wish JLaw would have kept his same personality but put in the work and commitment to winning. He was just naturally hella fast.

JS7 doesn't really belong in the conversation, but I think a few key decisions made differently would have resulted in 3 or 4 more championships. The TV show and moving to Yamaha on the 2010 backwards engine were two key decisions specifically. Not saying he would have won more, but things took a dip in that time period. Not a bust but more of a what more could have been.
ACBraap
Fantasy
505th
5/15/2020 11:43am
ACBraap wrote:

dimetime wrote:
I'm sorry but when you win a national outdoor championship, you were successful. Period.
What the question of this thread is getting at is unfulfilled potential. One can not look at the potential for future success that TP had after winning that 125 championship, his age at the time, and the expected future success (in racing) and call the results he had in 250/450 successful. Not because they are bad results, but because he had the potential for so much more.

Without a doubt, he is one of the successful motorcycle riders of all time.
Forty
5/15/2020 12:10pm
Now this thread is coming around.
avidchimp
Fantasy
1182nd
5/15/2020 12:16pm
avidchimp wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2020/05/15/427493/s1200_Christina_Hendricks.jpg[/img]

Who the fuck down votes Christina Hendricks??? hahaha
5/15/2020 12:28pm
Forty wrote:
This thread is a bust so far. Hope it gets better.
Yah I'm with ya bro. Can't believe the OP even went there, guys' a joke.
tp4
5/15/2020 1:42pm
lechien ..in japan
TriRacer27
Fantasy
47th
5/15/2020 1:44pm
SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:
Travis sold more Suzuki's in his career than RC, so, no. Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you...

IWreckALot wrote:
Pretty well agree with you. But Izzi's problems stemmed from his injury followed by his team owner backing him into a corner and told to take...
Pretty well agree with you.

But Izzi's problems stemmed from his injury followed by his team owner backing him into a corner and told to take pain pills and ride or lose his ride. He made the decision and the rest is history. But I chalk his end result up to injury also.

I wish JLaw would have kept his same personality but put in the work and commitment to winning. He was just naturally hella fast.

JS7 doesn't really belong in the conversation, but I think a few key decisions made differently would have resulted in 3 or 4 more championships. The TV show and moving to Yamaha on the 2010 backwards engine were two key decisions specifically. Not saying he would have won more, but things took a dip in that time period. Not a bust but more of a what more could have been.
Good points.

It's usually not a single issue that causes someone to not reach their potential, but rather a series of events and decisions combined.

But in general, I wouldn't consider anyone a bust for reasons outside of their control, especially if they managed to make it to the professional level.
BobbyM
5/15/2020 2:13pm
Bobbym for sure 😳🙄😎
loftyair
5/15/2020 2:19pm
Lil hanny, Trettel, izzi, stroupe, and almost carmichael the time he had 'bad gas'.
rcm406
5/15/2020 2:21pm
SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:

JS7 a bust!? 7 Championships, 116 pro wins, 2 MXON wins. Holy shit dude, high standards ehh lol
spacecat
5/15/2020 2:29pm
Robbie Reynard. In 1993 I was convinced he was going to be the next big thing.
5/15/2020 2:32pm
loftyair wrote:
Lil hanny, Trettel, izzi, stroupe, and almost carmichael the time he had 'bad gas'.
That's pretty harsh including Trettel with that group. He was 2 or 3 races into his pro career when he had a career ending injury.
otg042
5/15/2020 2:34pm
By the way this thread is going, everyone who raced MC was a bust.

I enjoy watching everyone on the gate, they're doing stuff on a dirt bike I could or will never do.
Good for all those dudes for making it into the stadium, that's a huge accomplishment.
dimetime
5/15/2020 2:38pm Edited Date/Time 5/15/2020 2:39pm
ACBraap wrote:

dimetime wrote:
ACBraap wrote:
What the question of this thread is getting at is unfulfilled potential. One can not look at the potential for future success that TP had after...
What the question of this thread is getting at is unfulfilled potential. One can not look at the potential for future success that TP had after winning that 125 championship, his age at the time, and the expected future success (in racing) and call the results he had in 250/450 successful. Not because they are bad results, but because he had the potential for so much more.

Without a doubt, he is one of the successful motorcycle riders of all time.
We can agree to disagree. Travis's potential as a rider, performer and celebrity were always infinitely higher than virtually any other rider ever.

Most of Travis's potential laid outside of the myopic moto community from the very beginning with all his video features before he ever raced a pro moto or SX. Travis was a star outside the community of hardcore moto guys.

Tracis raced moto as part of an overall plan to be bigger than the sport and he achieved it. He was never moto or SX only. It was always a bigger plan and he executed it to perfection and became arguably the biggest action sports hero ever. All while winning a national championship. How many guys dedicate their lives to get just one championship? Vitually everyone. Travis accomplished that while back flipping in his backyard and on his way to global domination as an action sport athlete.

So in my opinion, potential achieved in this sport and others.

5/15/2020 2:47pm
SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TP won a National MX championship, Regional SX championship and MXoN... how is he a bust?
rileymx
5/15/2020 2:48pm
this is a big subject when we talk about young hot kids that didnt make it to the big boys, even when some big boys just loose competitiveness.......
we all know how hard on your body the sport is and how easy it is to get major injuries, we all know how expensive it is to race at top level, we all say you are just as good as your last race, we all know how adictive opioid pain killers are......
i think it is very unfair to blame a young hot racer that takes those pain killers to deal with his injuries, and to keep racing and holding his contracts, and finds himself adicted to opioids and his life goes the wrong way......
i think it is wrong to blame them and they should be helped not criticise.....
its easy to point out nico izzi, but like him there was a lot more, some you know, some you dont even imagine, if there was a lot more tests, those cases could have been stopped and those pain killers could have been taken out of the sport....
but this is a subject that every one avoids, and it keeps happening, and talent keeps being wasted......
ktmwoods
5/15/2020 4:04pm
Had def expected more from guys like Josh Hansen and Davi Milsaps, not that their careers were busts but had multiple title hype and pedigree.

Post a reply to: Biggest Motocross Busts?

The Latest