Biggest Motocross Busts?

Related:
Create New Tag

5/15/2020 9:49 AM

Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do you guys think? Here are some guys that come to mind for me.

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

Could you consider TP199 as a bust?

|

5/15/2020 10:07 AM

Mike Alessi

Broc Hepler

Davi Millsaps

Jason Lawrence

|

5/15/2020 10:15 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2020 10:24 AM

SBO wrote:

Been thinking about a lot of guys that just appeared and disappeared since we have been watching so many old races during this time. Who do you guys think? Here are some guys that come to mind for me.

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

Travis sold more Suzuki's in his career than RC, so, no.

Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you came in with. I don't think Baker, Gannon or Darryn came in with anything close to the hype of guys like Alessi, Millsaps, J-Law as vtec said. Bradshaw would be considered a bust compared to the hype coming out of the 125 class. Same for JS7. Or Bogle, Wilson, Barcia, etc. etc.

The thing is, it's all relative and Amateur is not the same as 125/250 class, which is not the same as the 250/450 class.

I personally don't think any of these guys were "Busts" except for very few like Izzi who threw his career away, or guys like Hill or Hanny who had a ton of potential and just didn't put in the work. I don't consider anyone a bust due to bad luck, team circumstances, injuries, etc. They're all great riders who made it to the top .1% of racers in our sport.

|

5/15/2020 10:23 AM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TP199 is one of the most successful riders of all time, how is he a bust?

|

5/15/2020 10:25 AM

This thread is a bust so far. Hope it gets better.

|

5/15/2020 10:29 AM

misterwaterfallin wrote:

Expectations versus results as a racer is what he meant, I believe. Travis is insanely successful in life and as a racer, but there is no doubt that he didn’t match the expectations that were put on him as a young motocross and Supercross prospect. I say that with all due respect.

|

5/15/2020 10:31 AM

TP199 made way more $$ being himself then he would have had he been a succesful racer

|

5/15/2020 11:09 AM

Justin Buckelew

|

5/15/2020 11:29 AM

misterwaterfallin wrote:

But not one of the most successful mx/sx racers.

OTOH, he has incredible success in charting his own way, based on riding skill and infectious enthusiasm.

|

5/15/2020 11:34 AM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

misterwaterfallin wrote:

ACBraap wrote:

OTOH, he has incredible success in charting his own way, based on riding skill and infectious enthusiasm.

I'm sorry but when you win a national outdoor championship, you were successful. Period.

|

5/15/2020 11:43 AM
Edited Date/Time: 5/15/2020 11:45 AM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:

Also, to be considered a bust has to be weighed against how much hype you came in with. I don't think Baker, Gannon or Darryn came in with anything close to the hype of guys like Alessi, Millsaps, J-Law as vtec said. Bradshaw would be considered a bust compared to the hype coming out of the 125 class. Same for JS7. Or Bogle, Wilson, Barcia, etc. etc.

The thing is, it's all relative and Amateur is not the same as 125/250 class, which is not the same as the 250/450 class.

I personally don't think any of these guys were "Busts" except for very few like Izzi who threw his career away, or guys like Hill or Hanny who had a ton of potential and just didn't put in the work. I don't consider anyone a bust due to bad luck, team circumstances, injuries, etc. They're all great riders who made it to the top .1% of racers in our sport.

Pretty well agree with you.

But Izzi's problems stemmed from his injury followed by his team owner backing him into a corner and told to take pain pills and ride or lose his ride. He made the decision and the rest is history. But I chalk his end result up to injury also.

I wish JLaw would have kept his same personality but put in the work and commitment to winning. He was just naturally hella fast.

JS7 doesn't really belong in the conversation, but I think a few key decisions made differently would have resulted in 3 or 4 more championships. The TV show and moving to Yamaha on the 2010 backwards engine were two key decisions specifically. Not saying he would have won more, but things took a dip in that time period. Not a bust but more of a what more could have been.

|

5/15/2020 11:43 AM

misterwaterfallin wrote:

ACBraap wrote:

dimetime wrote:

I'm sorry but when you win a national outdoor championship, you were successful. Period.

What the question of this thread is getting at is unfulfilled potential. One can not look at the potential for future success that TP had after winning that 125 championship, his age at the time, and the expected future success (in racing) and call the results he had in 250/450 successful. Not because they are bad results, but because he had the potential for so much more.

Without a doubt, he is one of the successful motorcycle riders of all time.

|

5/15/2020 11:53 AM

Define what a 'bust" is?

|

5/15/2020 12:02 PM

Erin Bates
Photo

|

5/15/2020 12:07 PM

Photo
|

5/15/2020 12:10 PM

Now this thread is coming around.

|

5/15/2020 12:16 PM

avidchimp wrote: Photo

Who the fuck down votes Christina Hendricks??? hahaha

|

5/15/2020 12:28 PM

Forty wrote:

This thread is a bust so far. Hope it gets better.

Yah I'm with ya bro. Can't believe the OP even went there, guys' a joke.

|

5/15/2020 12:47 PM

|

5/15/2020 1:11 PM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

But Izzi's problems stemmed from his injury followed by his team owner backing him into a corner and told to take pain pills and ride or lose his ride. He made the decision and the rest is history. But I chalk his end result up to injury also.

I wish JLaw would have kept his same personality but put in the work and commitment to winning. He was just naturally hella fast.

JS7 doesn't really belong in the conversation, but I think a few key decisions made differently would have resulted in 3 or 4 more championships. The TV show and moving to Yamaha on the 2010 backwards engine were two key decisions specifically. Not saying he would have won more, but things took a dip in that time period. Not a bust but more of a what more could have been.

i really doubt anyone forced nico izzi to take pain pills and race

hes just one of the many casualities of the opioid epidemic

|

5/15/2020 1:42 PM

lechien ..in japan

|

5/15/2020 1:44 PM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:

IWreckALot wrote:

Good points.

It's usually not a single issue that causes someone to not reach their potential, but rather a series of events and decisions combined.

But in general, I wouldn't consider anyone a bust for reasons outside of their control, especially if they managed to make it to the professional level.

|

5/15/2020 1:46 PM

Brian Gray.

|

5/15/2020 2:13 PM

Bobbym for sure 😳🙄😎

|

5/15/2020 2:19 PM

Lil hanny, Trettel, izzi, stroupe, and almost carmichael the time he had 'bad gas'.

|

5/15/2020 2:20 PM

you know..i dont even want to say Jason Lawrence is a bust. He won a title. He didn't go as far as he could have but he still accomplished alot, all things considered.

|

5/15/2020 2:21 PM

SBO wrote:

Austin Stroupe
Zack Bell
Nico Izzi
Travis Baker
Gannon Audette
Darryn Durham

TriRacer27 wrote:

JS7 a bust!? 7 Championships, 116 pro wins, 2 MXON wins. Holy shit dude, high standards ehh lol

|

5/15/2020 2:29 PM

Robbie Reynard. In 1993 I was convinced he was going to be the next big thing.

|

5/15/2020 2:32 PM

loftyair wrote:

Lil hanny, Trettel, izzi, stroupe, and almost carmichael the time he had 'bad gas'.

That's pretty harsh including Trettel with that group. He was 2 or 3 races into his pro career when he had a career ending injury.

|

5/15/2020 2:34 PM

By the way this thread is going, everyone who raced MC was a bust.

I enjoy watching everyone on the gate, they're doing stuff on a dirt bike I could or will never do.
Good for all those dudes for making it into the stadium, that's a huge accomplishment.

|