Bigger Impact: Bikes or Riders

Related:
Create New Tag

4/30/2018 8:24 AM

Curious to know which you guys feel have the bigger impact on race results: Bikes or Riders? So as a thought experiment let’s say a week before a Motocross/Supercross race, the top Factory riders traded bikes with the mid-tier privateers. How would it impact the race results?

Given the top 250 riders tend to have much better lap times than the 450 privateers, despite their bikes having a lot less power, I personally tend to think it’s 90% rider and 10% bike. I’ve also just recently started following the sport closely so curious to hear what some of you more knowledgeable fans think.

-Jesse

|

4/30/2018 8:28 AM

Tomac could probably take a stock kx450 from 2008 and still get in the top 5. 80% rider imo.

|

4/30/2018 8:49 AM

Its 80-90% rider unless we are talking about the Alta MXR, then its 80-90% bike..blink

|

4/30/2018 9:43 AM

When was the last time a fully privateer bike won in SX? Brayton's bike isn't a full HRC bike but I am sure they get technology from HRC. Your certainly not winning many races on a non factory machine.

My guess is it's 70:30 rider to bike ratio.

|

4/30/2018 9:51 AM

deluxeman wrote:

When was the last time a fully privateer bike won in SX? Brayton's bike isn't a full HRC bike but I am sure they get technology from HRC. Your certainly not winning many races on a non factory machine.

"When was the last time a fully privateer bike won in SX?"

Andrew Short Seattle SX 2012.
|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

4/30/2018 10:00 AM

deluxeman wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote: "When was the last time a fully privateer bike won in SX?"

Every time you bring this up, it takes me back. What a race.

|

4/30/2018 10:30 AM

deluxeman wrote:

-MAVERICK- wrote: "When was the last time a fully privateer bike won in SX?"

Donovan759 wrote:

Every time you bring this up, it takes me back. What a race.

His only win but it's a memorable one.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."