Beta or Gas Gas

Related:
Create New Tag

7/10/2019 5:46 PM

After racing a KDX for a couple years, my parents have came on board in support of an upgrade. I've never raced a new bike before so I've obviously been excited to research all the options out there. We're currently looking to go with a New 200 two stroke since I'm already comfortable on a 200. Currently I'm most interested in either a GasGas 200XC or Beta 200rr and I wasn't sure if anyone had a personal experience with either bike or the pros and cons of each. The bike will be used in predominantly local hare scrambles, as well as general play riding. I'm a C level rider, 5'9, and 135lbs...I hope this is enough information to get a solid opinion, thanks in advance for any advice anyone can offer!

RCB33

|

7/10/2019 5:55 PM

I'm not sure Gas Gas has actually built any 200's yet, it is designed on the existing lower end of the bigger engines. They just released the new Ranger and it has some very nice attributes. Gas Gas as a company has been circling the drain for a good while, so it would be a bit of a risk.

Beta's bike is well reviewed and there is a test or 3 out there. Go to Thumpertalk Beta forum and read all you want. The new 2020's will be released any day, and although they are still several months out will likely be a new frame and plastics at minimum. Check out BoneCutter Beta near you for a great dealer that races them and also carries Sherco's.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

7/10/2019 6:00 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

I'm not sure Gas Gas has actually built any 200's yet, it is designed on the existing lower end of the bigger engines. They just released the new Ranger and it has some very nice attributes. Gas Gas as a company has been circling the drain for a good while, so it would be a bit of a risk.

Beta's bike is well reviewed and there is a test or 3 out there. Go to Thumpertalk Beta forum and read all you want. The new 2020's will be released any day, and although they are still several months out will likely be a new frame and plastics at minimum. Check out BoneCutter Beta near you for a great dealer that races them and also carries Sherco's.

Thanks for the advice, Gas Gas as a company concerns me, Beta seems a tad more stable and I obviously want to be able to get parts and such. I think I prefer the Gas Gas stock components (KYB suspension for example) but I am definitely concerned about the long term viability of Gas Gas as a brand.

|

7/10/2019 6:35 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/10/2019 6:35 PM

Get the beta between the two. My old man has a 2018 beta 125rr. It’s a really fun bike. I love the feel of everything on it right off the showroom floor including the suspension. gas gas really scares me too, they could fold any day. Beta is pretty well established and shouldn’t be going anywhere anytime soon.

With all that said, here’s the issue with the beta. My dad dented his pipe (stock is an FMF) and the dealer wants $400 for a new one. I contacted FMF directly and they told me they don’t make a pipe for the beta. The damn thing came stock with an FMF, yet they don’t make them? It’s crazy.

Want an honest opinion? Buy the KTM or Husky 150 and be done with it. Parts are easily assessable and they’re great bikes. You wouldn’t notice much if any difference regarding power between the 150s and the 200.

|

7/10/2019 6:39 PM

Gas Gas is in financial trouble again, i would go the beta 200

|

7/10/2019 7:18 PM

RCB33 wrote:

Thanks for the advice, Gas Gas as a company concerns me, Beta seems a tad more stable and I obviously want to be able to get parts and such. I think I prefer the Gas Gas stock components (KYB suspension for example) but I am definitely concerned about the long term viability of Gas Gas as a brand.

Beta is much more stable than GG, not a “tad more.” GG is still in financial trouble, even with Torrot in control... they lost of ton of market share during the last time they shut down. Beta on the other hand, is a completely cash-based business at every single level with no debt whatsoever. I would have absolutely no fear in buying a Beta... they aren’t going anywhere.

That being said, the new Shercos are the most underrated enduro bikes in the market right now, IMO. That’s probably what I’d buy.

|

7/10/2019 7:20 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

RCB33 wrote:

FMF makes the muffler only. Scalvini makes a killer pipe if you don't want stock.

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1301708-dirtbike-beta-200-vs-husky-150-comparison/

https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/1289208-first-ride-on-the-2019-beta-200rr/

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

7/10/2019 7:39 PM

I owned a GasGas once, and will only be once. It was a '12 300. Handled awesome and ran very strong, but it was a real bear to work on. It's hard to describe, but nothing was convenient to take off or put back on. One thing to consider, much like AGN5009 said, aftermarket support on the botique brands are slim. Maybe it's getting better, but most mail order companies didn't stock any Gasser parts when I owned one, and the dealer didn't carry a ton of parts either (Small shop). I also vote to take a look at Sherco, they are some really nice bikes

|

7/10/2019 7:53 PM

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

7/10/2019 8:09 PM

Reviews on gassers all seem very positive, would love to see a new 200, any timeline when they are arriving? The one thing don't like on those bikes is the starter motor placement. Just looks a little weird...

|

7/10/2019 8:15 PM

I own a few Beta Trials bikes it can take over a month to get parts. I would go with a KTM or Husky.

|

7/10/2019 9:40 PM

i wouldnt limit yourself to a 200, any new 200 is going to feel so much different then your kdx. I would def consider a 250 or 300, lot more options.

|

7/10/2019 9:44 PM

'18 and '19 GasGas are exceptional bikes. Best suspension and fantastic handling. Would be clear choice for me... Just have to be aware of a possible future that is rough for GasGas. Otherwise... Sherco.

|

'75-'83 through the minicycle boom.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was fast... But being fast is relative to who else is on the track with you.

ZachO fan! ZO16

7/10/2019 10:02 PM

I recently bought a 2018 GasGas 300XC. I’ve owned a Beta 300RR as well. Hands down the GasGas is the better bike IMO. It rides incredibly well for an enduro bike, I actually spend most of my time at the track with it and it is an absolute blast. I’m not too worried about GasGas going under, if they do I’ll just be sure to buy up any big parts I can’t fab myself.

|

7/10/2019 10:22 PM

Go a 250 I reckon. I remember riding a 200 EXC and thinking that it fell very flat up top. The 250s can be tuned pretty easily if you find them too aggressive.

|

James = #7. Malcolm = #27
7/27=0.259259259259259259259
Stewart return confirmed!

7/11/2019 12:43 AM

Another vote for a Sherco if willing to branch out. Otherwise, I'd go the Beta.

|

7/11/2019 5:09 AM

I was riding a KDX 200 when I did the Beta Ride Day in TX. I rode a bunch of their bikes around a couple mile test track. The 200 was at the top of my list and would be a great choice, but the bike I _really_ liked was the 125 RR. I rode it 3x that day and it gave me the confidence to buy a NOS '18 KTM 150 XC-W which I got for nearly $2000 off. Otherwise, the 200 RR would've been an excellent choice. My son had his KTM 150 SX at the time and said the 200 RR felt very much like his bike except smoother and just a little heavier.

I didn't find anything I didn't like... I'm sure the suspension would need to be dialed in for you. The bigger 2S vibrated badly to the point where I couldn't wait to get off the 250.

Can't reply on GasGas. I have their trials bikes and have seen the off-road bikes in person. The Sherco mentioned looks great, too, but no personal experience there.

|

2015 GasGas TXT Racing 125
2015 Husqvarna TC 125
2018 KTM 150 XC-W

7/11/2019 5:16 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

RCB33 wrote:

Moto Mofo wrote:

Beta is much more stable than GG, not a “tad more.” GG is still in financial trouble, even with Torrot in control... they lost of ton of market share during the last time they shut down. Beta on the other hand, is a completely cash-based business at every single level with no debt whatsoever. I would have absolutely no fear in buying a Beta... they aren’t going anywhere.

That being said, the new Shercos are the most underrated enduro bikes in the market right now, IMO. That’s probably what I’d buy.

Spot on. Have owned both, numerous GG. Sherco/Beta for sure and I love Spanish bikes but their company situation is shaky at best

|

Kevin Windham‏ @kdub_14

Not 1factory racer hasnt been told that if ucan help teammate out, then do it 4 championship. Few r in a position like MM25 #partofthesport

7/11/2019 5:23 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

RCB33 wrote:

Moto Mofo wrote:

I hated the 2019 Sherco 300. It’s a really weird bike. A few guys I ride with who have less experience loved the Sherco. The ones with a great deal of experience (myself included) really didn’t care for the bike. It’s very strange that 5 guys with 30+ years and are A level riders hated it and 4 guys with just a few years and are high C low B level riders loved it. I can’t explain it that’s for sure.

|

7/11/2019 5:27 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

RCB33 wrote:

Moto Mofo wrote:

I agree. Sherco would be my pick, but they do not have a 200. (Just go 250 anyway) Betas are great bikes but not everyone can update/work on their suspension. GasGas are good bikes as well but who knows if they will be around.

|

7/11/2019 6:38 AM

I’m not entirely against a 250, I recently rode a 2019 KTM 250xc and started to feel more comfortable the more I rode. However, It was almost exhausting to ride due to the obvious power difference. I understand that most new bikes are going to feel more powerful than the KDX but I still want to be able to rev a bike out and the KTM felt a tad overly aggressive for the woods. Thanks again to everyone trying to point me in a decent direction!

RCB33

|

7/11/2019 6:57 AM

Boutique bikes can be a bitch to maintain. I would stick to the big 6. I also would recommend a 250f for you. Way easier to ride then a 2 stroke, handles rough track better.

|

sponsored by zip tie, JB weld and peanut butter and jelly

7/11/2019 7:17 AM

RCB33 wrote:

I’m not entirely against a 250, I recently rode a 2019 KTM 250xc and started to feel more comfortable the more I rode. However, It was almost exhausting to ride due to the obvious power difference. I understand that most new bikes are going to feel more powerful than the KDX but I still want to be able to rev a bike out and the KTM felt a tad overly aggressive for the woods. Thanks again to everyone trying to point me in a decent direction!

RCB33

By fixing the jetting, which is fairly easy to do, installing the green power valve spring, and turning the power valve adjuster in, you can drastically change the power. Depending on how far you turn the power valve adjuster in, you can make it so your KDX feels faster, Really. The amount of adjustability to the power band, via the power valve is pretty impressive.

|

7/11/2019 7:40 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 7:49 AM

resetjet wrote:

Boutique bikes can be a bitch to maintain. I would stick to the big 6. I also would recommend a 250f for you. Way easier to ride then a 2 stroke, handles rough track better.

Beta parts and accessories are easier than most big 6 bikes to come by, and you don't need a dealer around the corner. There is a very active online community at TT, and I have never heard of anyone waiting for anything. If you can't find a part you post up and dealers from all over offer up solutions, both new and used parts. No other manufacturer will build you a custom bike like Beta will, the list is endless at BYOB Build Your Own Beta and the labor is FREE. Beta has the best warranty on dirt bikes and great support, they really stand behind their products. This is 2019, not 1990. Beta is the new KTM.

https://www.betausa.com/content/welcome-byob

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/beta-dirt-bike-parts

Here's 12 pages of parts and accessories for the new 200. There are much more for the other models.
https://shopbetamotorcycle.com/collections/beta-200rr

Gas Gas is in trouble with manufacturing halted, and Sherco just switched U.S. distributors and has failed to catch on here as well as reliability issues on the new models. It will be years before Sherco catches up to where Beta is in the U.S. Let's not forget Beta currently holds 4 World Championship titles...

|

7/11/2019 8:06 AM

resetjet wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

Beta parts and accessories are easier than most big 6 bikes to come by, and you don't need a dealer around the corner. There is a very active online community at TT, and I have never heard of anyone waiting for anything. If you can't find a part you post up and dealers from all over offer up solutions, both new and used parts. No other manufacturer will build you a custom bike like Beta will, the list is endless at BYOB Build Your Own Beta and the labor is FREE. Beta has the best warranty on dirt bikes and great support, they really stand behind their products. This is 2019, not 1990. Beta is the new KTM.

Here's 12 pages of parts and accessories for the new 200. There are much more for the other models.

Gas Gas is in trouble with manufacturing halted, and Sherco just switched U.S. distributors and has failed to catch on here as well as reliability issues on the new models. It will be years before Sherco catches up to where Beta is in the U.S. Let's not forget Beta currently holds 4 World Championship titles...

Nonsense. They are absolutely not easier to get than the big 6.

|

7/11/2019 8:26 AM

Johnny Depp wrote:

I'd say Sherco will catch up pretty fast. They're motivated to make a big push on the US market and products are pretty good. Here's me riding the 2020 range :

Beta 2020 will be released monday i guess, we ride them wednesday in Italy, at Il Ciocco (place of the Hell's Gate race).
|

7/11/2019 9:09 AM

Performance wise the 18+ GasGas outshines ktm, husqvarna, beta and Sherco. Period. They bikes are are simply amazing. As of right now it is easy to get any parts and after market accessories and very easy to maintain. But like mentioned the financial situation is troubling. I love my bike. But if my bike got stolen tomorrow and I had every penny back to buy a brand new one of my choice, I’d buy a ktm or husq just because of the financial situation. Hopefully the brand bounces back and becomes well established. The 18s are very well built just not well known, poor resale value because of that, and the future is unknown for the brand.

|

7/11/2019 10:01 AM

I own a few Beta’s ,they have their quirks but in general all brands do. Quality units.
I would not hesitate to buy a Gas Gas either. I actually like the look of Gassers a lot more. They look like quality bikes in person. Know a guy that has a 2011 300 with 300hrs. And still ticking.

Ghost

|

7/11/2019 10:03 AM
Edited Date/Time: 7/11/2019 10:05 AM

resetjet wrote:

Johnny Depp wrote:

agn5009 wrote:

Nonsense. They are absolutely not easier to get than the big 6.

I can text my dealer (lots of people use him) and have it shipped the same day without even getting out a credit card even late at night shipped next day. If he doesn't have it he'll pull it off of a bike and wait for the part himself. Try that with your big 6 dealer. Many Beta owners at Thumpertalk that have owned many brands comment that they have a better parts situation with Beta than their previous or other bikes. I'm not sure how you form your opinion?

|

7/11/2019 10:03 AM

I have owned several Gas Gas trials bike and a Beta. Always had the parts needed within a week. The new 200 rr looks really nice. Too bad KTM stopped making 200's. Austrian should stroke the 150 to make a 175 and throw PENTON colors on it.

|