Beta Motorcycles Shipped to your front door, is this the future?

Johnny Depp
Edited Date/Time 4/25/2020 9:18pm
In recognition of current Cornavirus situation and its effects, Beta USA is offering customers the option to have a new Beta sent directly to their home or business, ready to ride.

https://enduro21.com/index.php/usa/4924-beta-motorcycles-shipped-to-you…

|
DoctorJD
4/23/2020 7:19am
The direct-to-consumer model has certainly taken hold in the MTB market with YT and Canyon becoming a force. I think it's a sign of the times.

maicocd
4/23/2020 9:55am
soggy wrote:
i posted about this last year as a possible way to make bike cost more consumer friendly.. It was met with mixed emotions.
https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Should-manufacturers-ado…
I don't know how many recall this or acted on it back then- but TUF Racing from Illinois used to sell you and ship your bike in a factory crate to your doorstep.

I got several KX's (mostly KX-250's) sent to me this way in the late 80's / early 90's.

You'd call them and get your complete price with shipping, send them a certified check, and usually a week or two later a crated KX showed up at your doorstep. It was way better then seeing your latest Amazon package for those of you wondering what that experience was like! LoL!!
First- the bike was significantly cheaper then my local dealer.
Second- I knew how to open a create, put on a front tire, handlebars, and a fender.
Third- I was not blessed with a cool, or knowledgeable, or even very friendly local shop despite them having my family's return business for over 20 years... In fact- they were pretty much assholes. They were so bad that if I needed a spark plug to be able to race and had to buy it from them- I'd opt to skip racing... Why would I want to pay them more for a bike that I could have for less and also avoid them altogether?

At the time, I would have though that this was the direction things were headed, so its surprising the concept is only being revisited 30+ years later... I got away from the sport (as far as actively participating) for the second half of the 90's, and returned to the dealer purchased method upon returning again in the early 2000's... I'm not sure why myself nor the industry didn't continue in this direction...

I realize that their are tons cycle shop owners here as well as those that have and support their local and favorite shops... That's great for wherever this can happen. Its a perfect combo when you have good availability, parts, and service and the customer recognizes this, and continues to return to support this.
Unfortunately, convenience is now the stiffest competition to the even the best run store.
Discounting the current need to do this right now for most in the country- how many of us could actually have run out and bought half the stuff that regularly arrives on a porch in an Amazon box?
Lots of it is sitting on shelves in stores that also need customers walking through the front door to stay afloat too.

soggy- nailed it when he said his post from last year was met with mixed emotions... It will be even more interesting to see what happens when things return to "normal"... Like a lot of things in life- we might change what we have known and become accustomed to and this includes the sport that I've enjoyed for almost all of my 50 years.

The Shop

Forty
4/23/2020 9:59am
I had my 2009 yz450 shipped to my house. In a crate. In 2010.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
4/23/2020 10:22am
newmann wrote:
Like anyone would see it there...Dry
Laughing Once a day is all Vital asks...
Ted722
4/23/2020 11:00am Edited Date/Time 4/23/2020 1:34pm
soggy wrote:
i posted about this last year as a possible way to make bike cost more consumer friendly.. It was met with mixed emotions.
maicocd wrote:
I don't know how many recall this or acted on it back then- but TUF Racing from Illinois used to sell you and ship your bike...
I don't know how many recall this or acted on it back then- but TUF Racing from Illinois used to sell you and ship your bike in a factory crate to your doorstep.

I got several KX's (mostly KX-250's) sent to me this way in the late 80's / early 90's.

You'd call them and get your complete price with shipping, send them a certified check, and usually a week or two later a crated KX showed up at your doorstep. It was way better then seeing your latest Amazon package for those of you wondering what that experience was like! LoL!!
Second- I knew how to open a create, put on a front tire, handlebars, and a fender.
Third- I was not blessed with a cool, or knowledgeable, or even very friendly local shop despite them having my family's return business for over 20 years... In fact- they were pretty much assholes. They were so bad that if I needed a spark plug to be able to race and had to buy it from them- I'd opt to skip racing... Why would I want to pay them more for a bike that I could have for less and also avoid them altogether?

At the time, I would have though that this was the direction things were headed, so its surprising the concept is only being revisited 30+ years later... I got away from the sport (as far as actively participating) for the second half of the 90's, and returned to the dealer purchased method upon returning again in the early 2000's... I'm not sure why myself nor the industry didn't continue in this direction...

I realize that their are tons cycle shop owners here as well as those that have and support their local and favorite shops... That's great for wherever this can happen. Its a perfect combo when you have good availability, parts, and service and the customer recognizes this, and continues to return to support this.
Unfortunately, convenience is now the stiffest competition to the even the best run store.
Discounting the current need to do this right now for most in the country- how many of us could actually have run out and bought half the stuff that regularly arrives on a porch in an Amazon box?
Lots of it is sitting on shelves in stores that also need customers walking through the front door to stay afloat too.

soggy- nailed it when he said his post from last year was met with mixed emotions... It will be even more interesting to see what happens when things return to "normal"... Like a lot of things in life- we might change what we have known and become accustomed to and this includes the sport that I've enjoyed for almost all of my 50 years.
Did the same with my '94 KX250. I think it was $4,000 and $200 shipping if I remember correctly. That's the only time I ever did that and it worked out just fine. It was out of Manitowoc, WI from Mitch Hansen who later formed the HMC Ducati / KTM teams in Road Racing.

Agree about when that truck showed up. Backed my F250 up to it and we pushed the box/crate into the bed of the pickup and closed the tailgate. Great feeling! Smile
navalseabee
4/24/2020 2:24am
Im sure they are going to couple this option with the B.Y.O.B (build you own bike) feature they have on their website.
4/24/2020 4:58am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 4:59am
I think most of the OEMs are allowing their dealers to deliver bikes to the consumer’s house right now. Normally, the dealer’s sales and service agreement requires the consumer to take delivery of a unit at the dealership. This is not the same as the “direct to consumer” model that bicycle companies have been utilizing, where the manufacturer is selling directly to the consumer. In the Beta scenario, the motorcycle is being ordered online, it is still being sold by a dealer to the consumer.
woodsgoon
4/24/2020 5:15am
My last 2 MTBs have came from YT with a great experience. Since then i have wondered about dirtbikes going direct to consumer, especially with the prices of bikes now days. It would be nice to save the mark up. A similar built Giant would have cost 3k more than what i paid for my YT capra. The only dirtbike dealership I deal with is shutting its doors fast tracked by covid but he was planning it anyway so i dont ever want to step foot in a dealership again if i can help it. It took many years to build that relationship and i went to him for almost everything i bought, most of the time paying more than i could buy it on rmatvmc for. Sounds like beta is getting there, but not quite as direct as bike manufactures are.
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
4/24/2020 6:42am
woodsgoon wrote:
My last 2 MTBs have came from YT with a great experience. Since then i have wondered about dirtbikes going direct to consumer, especially with the...
My last 2 MTBs have came from YT with a great experience. Since then i have wondered about dirtbikes going direct to consumer, especially with the prices of bikes now days. It would be nice to save the mark up. A similar built Giant would have cost 3k more than what i paid for my YT capra. The only dirtbike dealership I deal with is shutting its doors fast tracked by covid but he was planning it anyway so i dont ever want to step foot in a dealership again if i can help it. It took many years to build that relationship and i went to him for almost everything i bought, most of the time paying more than i could buy it on rmatvmc for. Sounds like beta is getting there, but not quite as direct as bike manufactures are.
i dont think we ever see the large manufacturers do it (like we'll never see giant go d2c) but i see it as away to gain market share for a new company or existing ones like beta, sherco, rieju etc..

biggest hurdle is gaining consumer confidence but several bike brands have pulled it off, cpra, canyon, evil etc.
ccullins
4/24/2020 8:33am
Just to clarify, the bikes are still being sold through a dealer. There is no cutting a dealer out and there is no savings because of this. Also the bikes aren’t just shipped out in the crates they come from Italy in. Beta USA is fully assembling the bikes and doing all the pre-sale services that a dealer normally does. Bikes come fully ready to ride including handle bars already on.
piscokid
4/24/2020 10:00am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 10:21am
If the motorcycle business is like the car business, it is a push business. In other words, Honda makes 1000 CR250F's and ALL are sold to dealers immediately. In a D2C model, they would be having to deal with the customer AND having to wait for the motorcycle's to sell 1 at a time! Imagine doing that with every model they build! Street bikes, trail bikes, Quads, SXS, it would be a nightmare.
vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
4/24/2020 11:08am Edited Date/Time 4/24/2020 11:10am
Not sure how this is considered the future lol. I bought a 2018 Husqvarna TX300 in 2017 with fmf gnarly, Powercore Ti 2.1, Michelin’s front and rear, tubliss front and rear, G2 handguards, skid plate, rekluse core exp installed from the dealer and had them deliver it to my local track I wanted to take the first ride on it at along with all the stock unused parts. Never talked to a single person just an email and PayPal and done. That was 3 years ago now lol.

vdrsnk04
Fantasy
4295th
4/24/2020 11:09am
And another thing. On thumpertalk all the Beta guys said it’s a ripoff because the part cost is higher then dealer and you don’t get the stock parts the aftermarket parts replaced.
CivBars
4/24/2020 1:00pm
I don't know if it's THE future, but I hope it's in MY future..
BAMX
4/25/2020 9:18pm
soggy wrote:
maicocd wrote:
I don't know how many recall this or acted on it back then- but TUF Racing from Illinois used to sell you and ship your bike...

Ted722 wrote:
Did the same with my '94 KX250. I think it was $4,000 and $200 shipping if I remember correctly. That's the only time I ever did...
Did the same with my '94 KX250. I think it was $4,000 and $200 shipping if I remember correctly. That's the only time I ever did that and it worked out just fine. It was out of Manitowoc, WI from Mitch Hansen who later formed the HMC Ducati / KTM teams in Road Racing.

Agree about when that truck showed up. Backed my F250 up to it and we pushed the box/crate into the bed of the pickup and closed the tailgate. Great feeling! Smile
I have done it twice. Both times, I saved a ton of money and aggravation.

Post a reply to: Beta Motorcycles Shipped to your front door, is this the future?

The Latest