Beta 390 or Exc/Fe 350?

Related:
Create New Tag

12/3/2019 2:42 PM

Hi, I wonder how that bike would be for someone who weights 140 lbs? Would that 390 cc be to strong or manageble? Dream bike for both on and offroad right now smile
I would get the 350 exc/Fe but have heard that they are more racey and highrevved. I want to take it to the road to offroad location, to school and on the highway sometimes. Casual things you knowsmile I will not race with the bike since im scared breaking bones and not able to do things. Which one of the bike, Beta 390 or 350 would be the best for this or does them both work for that with no problem?

//Patric smile

|

12/3/2019 3:34 PM

My buddy has both bikes. Likes them both, but he said the KTM he had to put some cash in it to make run. I guess the Beta does not have to meet smog crap like the KTM. But he loves that 390 and even better then the 430 Beta.

|

12/3/2019 6:45 PM

Herb Eaversmells wrote:

My buddy has both bikes. Likes them both, but he said the KTM he had to put some cash in it to make run. I guess the Beta does not have to meet smog crap like the KTM. But he loves that 390 and even better then the 430 Beta.

Ahh ok, yea did hear that u need to put money on the Ktm. Damn beta 390 watsuppp!

|

12/3/2019 6:54 PM

I think the 2019 390’s are discounted like $1500 right now.

|

12/3/2019 7:12 PM

kr wrote:

I think the 2019 390’s are discounted like $1500 right now.

:o that nice ty fo info

|

12/4/2019 4:21 PM

Would any of these 390 or 350 like throw me around when i first get to ride one of them? Or are they easy to handle and adapt to the power?

|

12/4/2019 4:38 PM

More higher speed street =bigger displacement. More off road tighties=smaller displacement.

|

12/5/2019 4:21 AM

Have you considered a 250?

|

12/5/2019 6:15 AM

Go with a Husky FX 350. I feel its the perfect on/off road weapon. No emission and in Pa I had it street legal with a tusk dual sport kit, Amazon LED headlight, trail tech speedo and I went ahead an purchased a high output stator for $200. Total cost to street legal a 100% dirtbike? $520.

|

12/5/2019 11:58 AM

loftyair wrote:

More higher speed street =bigger displacement. More off road tighties=smaller displacement.

What has that to do with what bike i should get?

|

12/5/2019 11:59 AM

Tuna wrote:

Have you considered a 250?

I have but people have said that they rev to much on high speeds which i would rather not want go have

|

12/5/2019 12:03 PM

loftyair wrote:

More higher speed street =bigger displacement. More off road tighties=smaller displacement.

Patric2000 wrote:

What has that to do with what bike i should get?

You gonna ride more on higher speed street, or lower speed dirt?
For example, I could get an Africa twin, but to ride it in first gear through tight woods? Nope. Or I could get a small bore, but I ride 100's of mies on street. Not good either. Get what 'fits' the type of riding you will be doing most.

|

12/5/2019 12:09 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2019 12:09 PM

walleyeguy wrote:

Go with a Husky FX 350. I feel its the perfect on/off road weapon. No emission and in Pa I had it street legal with a tusk dual sport kit, Amazon LED headlight, trail tech speedo and I went ahead an purchased a high output stator for $200. Total cost to street legal a 100% dirtbike? $520.

Oh damn thats exciting to hear because i have never seen an opinion to turn a 100% dirt bike as you said to street legal! DAMN :D Is the Fx 350 much stronger than the Fe 350? :o Im gonna youtube and google that bike up right now thx dude, WONT IT BE REVVY ASF ON HIGHER SPEEDS SINCE ITS A RACE BIKE? thogh??

|

12/5/2019 12:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2019 1:25 PM

loftyair wrote:

More higher speed street =bigger displacement. More off road tighties=smaller displacement.

Patric2000 wrote:

What has that to do with what bike i should get?

loftyair wrote:

You gonna ride more on higher speed street, or lower speed dirt?
For example, I could get an Africa twin, but to ride it in first gear through tight woods? Nope. Or I could get a small bore, but I ride 100's of mies on street. Not good either. Get what 'fits' the type of riding you will be doing most.

I see... ty for infosmile

|

12/5/2019 12:34 PM

Patricd2000 you must be trolling us? Everyone knows the Beta is the best choice right?wink

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

12/5/2019 1:43 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2019 1:43 PM

walleyeguy wrote:

Go with a Husky FX 350. I feel its the perfect on/off road weapon. No emission and in Pa I had it street legal with a tusk dual sport kit, Amazon LED headlight, trail tech speedo and I went ahead an purchased a high output stator for $200. Total cost to street legal a 100% dirtbike? $520.

Ahh why do much extra work when i can buy something that is ready and ride, idk now

|

12/5/2019 3:08 PM

Both bikes are very easy to handle. The power is very smooth. If i was riding more on the street, i'd go with the 390 or 430 Beta. If you are doing more off road then the 350 is hard to beat in my opinion, Its so easy to ride, very forgiving.

|

12/5/2019 4:07 PM

Im gonna try and find out how the Beta 350rrs vs Ktm 350 exc/Husqvarna Fe 350 compares with each other. Maybe if they are very similar, Beta 350rrs or Beta 390 would be a better question to ask with instead of Beta 390 vs Ktm 350/Fe350 that i used

|

12/5/2019 4:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/5/2019 4:19 PM

Beta FTW. Been extremely happy with mine (Xtrainer).
2020 Race editions come with KYB's if you're wanting the better suspension.

Another brand i would look at is Sherco if you're willing to consider a 300 or 450 4T.
Next bike i really want to try a Sherco Factory edition 300 2T.
I ride a Sherco 250 FST trials bike right now and am really impressed with the brand so far.

For mainly street riding, i'd likely be looking more at the larger displacement motors (450 & 500's) or maybe even a KTM 690/Husky 701. Bike in my avatar is a 690 Enduro converted to supermoto. For comparison, i weigh about 5lbs more than you. Only ever took it on the street and on interstate runs, anything over 70 IMO was revving it a little high.

|

12/5/2019 5:37 PM

Patric2000 wrote:

Im gonna try and find out how the Beta 350rrs vs Ktm 350 exc/Husqvarna Fe 350 compares with each other. Maybe if they are very similar, Beta 350rrs or Beta 390 would be a better question to ask with instead of Beta 390 vs Ktm 350/Fe350 that i used

Beta makes a great 350, more low end than other 350's, it is not like the Kato's where you live over 10k rpm to make it boogie. Still it's a 350 vs. a 390. The 390 (and the 480) are long stroke engines and you can tell when you ride them, they have unreal torque and ease of riding, especially at walking speeds where they won't flame out. They are sneaky fast, you'd swear your just cruising around until you see a stopwatch and notice the trees blurring by. In the U.S Beta offers a RR-S fully 50 state street legal, which you won't have in Sweden.

5 time World Champion Steve Holcombe is switching to the 390 and competing in the EnduroGP E2 category next year, while still testing the 430 it looks like the 390 is his choice.

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4643-5-minutes-with-steve-holcombe-missing-the-isde-and-switching-to-four-stroke-power-for-2020

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

12/5/2019 7:38 PM

Yo guys thank you so much for your replies:D, i will answer them when i wake up, need to sleep

|

12/6/2019 2:16 PM

Crisp wrote:

Both bikes are very easy to handle. The power is very smooth. If i was riding more on the street, i'd go with the 390 or 430 Beta. If you are doing more off road then the 350 is hard to beat in my opinion, Its so easy to ride, very forgiving.

Nice to hear Crisp that they are smooth and easy to handle! It will surely be more street for me, 75% road and 25% offroad but those road % will just be casual things, no 4 hour adventure rides on road etc.

One thing though, is the 390 really that smooth? When i will go offroad i think i will want to go pretty fast, when in the forrest/woods i always think that there is something out there looking at me and wants to attack so i want the bike that can fly away when i want it to.
Can both bikes go from from 10 mph to 50 mph real quick? I want something like that and something than can ride low 5-15 mph speeds chilling. If something comes after me in the nature i want to fkn fly from there. Not something like a tractor bike. The 390 seems like a tractor.

You said the 350 was so easy to ride and very forgiving. Maybe thats something i need, something forgiving since it will be a first time motorcycle experince and first one offroad for me!

The 390 sounds kind of too much for someone like me honestly, but maybe im wrong?! Thx for ur reply dude

|

12/6/2019 2:21 PM

1983YZ125 wrote:

Beta FTW. Been extremely happy with mine (Xtrainer).
2020 Race editions come with KYB's if you're wanting the better suspension.

Another brand i would look at is Sherco if you're willing to consider a 300 or 450 4T.
Next bike i really want to try a Sherco Factory edition 300 2T.
I ride a Sherco 250 FST trials bike right now and am really impressed with the brand so far.

For mainly street riding, i'd likely be looking more at the larger displacement motors (450 & 500's) or maybe even a KTM 690/Husky 701. Bike in my avatar is a 690 Enduro converted to supermoto. For comparison, i weigh about 5lbs more than you. Only ever took it on the street and on interstate runs, anything over 70 IMO was revving it a little high.

Yo nice that u like Beta! I did consider the Sherco 300 before but the replies i got, wasnt so good:/

Im 100% sure a 450 would be way to much for me, Husky 701/690 ktm looks dope never will i get one of those, 139lbs and never ridden a motorcycle lol, ty for ur replysmile

|

12/6/2019 2:30 PM

Patric2000 wrote:

Im gonna try and find out how the Beta 350rrs vs Ktm 350 exc/Husqvarna Fe 350 compares with each other. Maybe if they are very similar, Beta 350rrs or Beta 390 would be a better question to ask with instead of Beta 390 vs Ktm 350/Fe350 that i used

Johnny Depp wrote:

Beta makes a great 350, more low end than other 350's, it is not like the Kato's where you live over 10k rpm to make it boogie. Still it's a 350 vs. a 390. The 390 (and the 480) are long stroke engines and you can tell when you ride them, they have unreal torque and ease of riding, especially at walking speeds where they won't flame out. They are sneaky fast, you'd swear your just cruising around until you see a stopwatch and notice the trees blurring by. In the U.S Beta offers a RR-S fully 50 state street legal, which you won't have in Sweden.

5 time World Champion Steve Holcombe is switching to the 390 and competing in the EnduroGP E2 category next year, while still testing the 430 it looks like the 390 is his choice.

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4643-5-minutes-with-steve-holcombe-missing-the-isde-and-switching-to-four-stroke-power-for-2020

Damn "unreal torque" that sounded dope and a little scary smile so what speeds does Beta's 350 low end shine? Like 10 mph speeds? Wait while the 390 have it easy riding walking speeds as you say, the 350 flames out? what do you mean with that flame out?

Damn trees blurring by lol thats sick

|

12/6/2019 9:11 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/6/2019 9:12 PM

Patric2000 wrote:

Im gonna try and find out how the Beta 350rrs vs Ktm 350 exc/Husqvarna Fe 350 compares with each other. Maybe if they are very similar, Beta 350rrs or Beta 390 would be a better question to ask with instead of Beta 390 vs Ktm 350/Fe350 that i used

Johnny Depp wrote:

Beta makes a great 350, more low end than other 350's, it is not like the Kato's where you live over 10k rpm to make it boogie. Still it's a 350 vs. a 390. The 390 (and the 480) are long stroke engines and you can tell when you ride them, they have unreal torque and ease of riding, especially at walking speeds where they won't flame out. They are sneaky fast, you'd swear your just cruising around until you see a stopwatch and notice the trees blurring by. In the U.S Beta offers a RR-S fully 50 state street legal, which you won't have in Sweden.

5 time World Champion Steve Holcombe is switching to the 390 and competing in the EnduroGP E2 category next year, while still testing the 430 it looks like the 390 is his choice.

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4643-5-minutes-with-steve-holcombe-missing-the-isde-and-switching-to-four-stroke-power-for-2020

Patric2000 wrote:

Damn "unreal torque" that sounded dope and a little scary smile so what speeds does Beta's 350 low end shine? Like 10 mph speeds? Wait while the 390 have it easy riding walking speeds as you say, the 350 flames out? what do you mean with that flame out?

Damn trees blurring by lol thats sick

Flame out is a low speed engine stall, and all of the Beta's do not exhibit that trait which is more common on pure MX bikes used for trails.

The 350 will require slightly more clutch skill to bring it up to speed where the 390 is more roll on. The 2 bikes are extremely close in all other characteristics, you can't go wrong either way. Most people choose the smaller bike assuming it's safer, although bigger engines are usually easier to ride. With a majority of street riding you will get better longevity with a bigger engine.

|

2015 Beta 500 RS, history: 99 KTM 300, 87 CR250, 84 KLR 600, 82 GPZ 550, 81 KX 250, 80 KX 250, 79 Montesa 414 VE, 78 250 VB, 77 360 VB, 76 360 VA, 75 YZ 125, 74 TM 125, 72 TS 125, 60's West Bend Go Boy Kart

12/7/2019 4:02 AM
Edited Date/Time: 12/7/2019 4:05 AM

1983YZ125 wrote:

Beta FTW. Been extremely happy with mine (Xtrainer).
2020 Race editions come with KYB's if you're wanting the better suspension.

Another brand i would look at is Sherco if you're willing to consider a 300 or 450 4T.
Next bike i really want to try a Sherco Factory edition 300 2T.
I ride a Sherco 250 FST trials bike right now and am really impressed with the brand so far.

For mainly street riding, i'd likely be looking more at the larger displacement motors (450 & 500's) or maybe even a KTM 690/Husky 701. Bike in my avatar is a 690 Enduro converted to supermoto. For comparison, i weigh about 5lbs more than you. Only ever took it on the street and on interstate runs, anything over 70 IMO was revving it a little high.

Patric2000 wrote:

Yo nice that u like Beta! I did consider the Sherco 300 before but the replies i got, wasnt so good:/

Im 100% sure a 450 would be way to much for me, Husky 701/690 ktm looks dope never will i get one of those, 139lbs and never ridden a motorcycle lol, ty for ur replysmile

Power wise, the 690/701 is no worse than a 350/390/w/e variant will be. It's a VERY tame motor in delivery. A little heavier of a bike, but doesn't feel fat. It does nothing great, but is excellent as an in between package for those that want to put a good amount of miles on the street.

Any 250F or larger i've ridden, lifts the front wheel in about every gear.
The 690s struggle after 2nd gear with a very soft and linear power delivery.
They make about the same power as the 500's, but do not deliver power in a hard hitting kind of way.
The last tuned Husky 501 i rode, scared me shitless and hit way harder than the 690 tuned ever did.

I wouldn't rule it out until doing some research as i think you'd be surprised. The maintenance intervals and overall longevity are WAY better than any small bore thumper you'll pick out.

If i recall correctly, 6,000 mile oil change intervals (I did mine at 3k as 6k seemed excessive)

|

12/7/2019 5:04 PM

Johnny Depp wrote:

Beta makes a great 350, more low end than other 350's, it is not like the Kato's where you live over 10k rpm to make it boogie. Still it's a 350 vs. a 390. The 390 (and the 480) are long stroke engines and you can tell when you ride them, they have unreal torque and ease of riding, especially at walking speeds where they won't flame out. They are sneaky fast, you'd swear your just cruising around until you see a stopwatch and notice the trees blurring by. In the U.S Beta offers a RR-S fully 50 state street legal, which you won't have in Sweden.

5 time World Champion Steve Holcombe is switching to the 390 and competing in the EnduroGP E2 category next year, while still testing the 430 it looks like the 390 is his choice.

https://enduro21.com/index.php/endurogp/4643-5-minutes-with-steve-holcombe-missing-the-isde-and-switching-to-four-stroke-power-for-2020

Patric2000 wrote:

Damn "unreal torque" that sounded dope and a little scary smile so what speeds does Beta's 350 low end shine? Like 10 mph speeds? Wait while the 390 have it easy riding walking speeds as you say, the 350 flames out? what do you mean with that flame out?

Damn trees blurring by lol thats sick

Johnny Depp wrote:

Flame out is a low speed engine stall, and all of the Beta's do not exhibit that trait which is more common on pure MX bikes used for trails.

The 350 will require slightly more clutch skill to bring it up to speed where the 390 is more roll on. The 2 bikes are extremely close in all other characteristics, you can't go wrong either way. Most people choose the smaller bike assuming it's safer, although bigger engines are usually easier to ride. With a majority of street riding you will get better longevity with a bigger engine.

Hm i see, then the Ktm 350 Exc and Husqvarna Fe 350 will be out of option. Okay i will get the 390 100% now! tyyy for everything

|

12/7/2019 5:06 PM

1983YZ125 wrote:

Beta FTW. Been extremely happy with mine (Xtrainer).
2020 Race editions come with KYB's if you're wanting the better suspension.

Another brand i would look at is Sherco if you're willing to consider a 300 or 450 4T.
Next bike i really want to try a Sherco Factory edition 300 2T.
I ride a Sherco 250 FST trials bike right now and am really impressed with the brand so far.

For mainly street riding, i'd likely be looking more at the larger displacement motors (450 & 500's) or maybe even a KTM 690/Husky 701. Bike in my avatar is a 690 Enduro converted to supermoto. For comparison, i weigh about 5lbs more than you. Only ever took it on the street and on interstate runs, anything over 70 IMO was revving it a little high.

Patric2000 wrote:

Yo nice that u like Beta! I did consider the Sherco 300 before but the replies i got, wasnt so good:/

Im 100% sure a 450 would be way to much for me, Husky 701/690 ktm looks dope never will i get one of those, 139lbs and never ridden a motorcycle lol, ty for ur replysmile

1983YZ125 wrote:

Power wise, the 690/701 is no worse than a 350/390/w/e variant will be. It's a VERY tame motor in delivery. A little heavier of a bike, but doesn't feel fat. It does nothing great, but is excellent as an in between package for those that want to put a good amount of miles on the street.

Any 250F or larger i've ridden, lifts the front wheel in about every gear.
The 690s struggle after 2nd gear with a very soft and linear power delivery.
They make about the same power as the 500's, but do not deliver power in a hard hitting kind of way.
The last tuned Husky 501 i rode, scared me shitless and hit way harder than the 690 tuned ever did.

I wouldn't rule it out until doing some research as i think you'd be surprised. The maintenance intervals and overall longevity are WAY better than any small bore thumper you'll pick out.

If i recall correctly, 6,000 mile oil change intervals (I did mine at 3k as 6k seemed excessive)

Oh nice:o ty for the info and sorry for the short reply. i will get the 390!

|

12/8/2019 3:15 AM

Actually im not sure i want the 390. Damn still 50% unsure, will keep reading threads

|

12/8/2019 4:53 AM

I rode all '20 betas a couple months back. Everyone seemed to fall in love with the 390. I liked the 430 better though...

You should try them before deciding

|