Best wrist brace?

Related:
Create New Tag

1/16/2020 8:31 AM

I'm currently on my second broken scaphoid, after the first broken scaphoid they said I would have to fuse my wrist if I broke it again. I got super lucky and didn't need surgery again or a fusion the second time I broke it. I already plan on getting some Flexbars, to help make sure this doesn't happen again. My other plan is a good wrist brace.

What do you recommend?I was thinking mobius but wanted to get some info from people who already wear wrist braces. I am unexperienced when it comes to wrist braces, so any info helps a ton.

Thanks,
Brent.

|

1/16/2020 8:40 AM

I’ve used the CTI wrist brace in the past and it did the job. All sport Dynamics has a nice one as well, but the Mobius seems to be popular among the pro riders

|

1/16/2020 9:22 AM

The Mobius is great. I hurt my wrist casing a jump and couldn't ride if I wasn't wearing it to limit my wrist motion for about 2 months. I lent it to my buddy for the same type of deal and he was blown away at how it helped him be able to ride as well. Just make sure you don't put it to tight or you'll pump up.

|

1/16/2020 9:50 AM

The nice thing about the Mobius is you can adjust the tension and range of flex...I use it in MTB and dirt bikes. If you have limited motion in your wrist they definitely help with preventing over-extension and injury.

The CTI basically allows free movement but limits extension to whatever you set. A lot of pro motocrossers have a pocket sewn into the back of their glove (top of hand) that the brace puck slides into; it eliminates any strapping across the palm or fingers...

|

1/16/2020 10:21 AM

I love my mobius. super adjustable and comfortable. I use it playing hockey too

|

1/16/2020 12:26 PM

Brent_Apodaca wrote:

I'm currently on my second broken scaphoid, after the first broken scaphoid they said I would have to fuse my wrist if I broke it again. I got super lucky and didn't need surgery again or a fusion the second time I broke it. I already plan on getting some Flexbars, to help make sure this doesn't happen again. My other plan is a good wrist brace.

What do you recommend?I was thinking mobius but wanted to get some info from people who already wear wrist braces. I am unexperienced when it comes to wrist braces, so any info helps a ton.

Thanks,
Brent.

I use the All Sport Dynamics OTS brace for my wrist. I chose it over the mobius simply because I felt like it gave me a little more stability in the lateral movement of my wrist. You can also contact Darkside of the MotoXpod and he can hook you up. You can just DM him on instagram at Darksidemx3 and hell help you out.

|

1/16/2020 12:56 PM

i have a set of mobius braces for sale if youre interested. size med/ large. i used them a few times...i didnt gel with them. $275 shipped

|

1/16/2020 1:20 PM

I have a pair of Mobius braces but I’ve never worn them. I really need to give them a whirl!

|

1/16/2020 3:46 PM

Another vote for the Mobius brace with history of a scaphoid fracture years ago. Although I haven’t wore another wrist brace to compare it to I’m very happy with the way this fits, and the adjustability. It allows you to adjust the extension with a turn if a dial. Had it for a while so durability is great. Their customer service is top notch as well. Cheers

|

1/16/2020 4:54 PM

I use Mobius. Broken schapoid years ago. I had a cheap compression style brace and would be in bad pain for days after riding. With my mobius the most i experience post ride is minor discomfort.

|

2018 CRF250R

1/16/2020 5:27 PM

I'm a fan of the Mobius. On my left hand, it's hardly noticeable and I use it most of the time even though I don't need it anymore. The throttle hand takes some time getting used to but I've been impressed by it

|

Instagram: @TrevorHunter224
Facebook: Trevor Hunter 224
YouTube: Trevor Hunter 224

1/16/2020 6:14 PM

See this is why I joined this forum . I needed this to help me with my next step. Any more information is welcomed , I have at the minimum 2 months to decide.

|

1/16/2020 6:53 PM

Mobius user here.

|

1/16/2020 7:24 PM

Scaphoid injury, mobius Braces were good for a while. I didn’t want to rely on it though, I found it easier to ride without it after a few months, probably because it was on my right wrist.

|

1/17/2020 9:30 AM

I will add this - prior to my left wrist reconstruction two years ago, I couldn't get through a race without severe pain in my left wrist. I wore my Mobius and installed Flexx bars, and it was a massive difference. Now that my wrist is all healed up, I am back and forth. If it's a long, rough ride ahead I'll throw on the Mobius, and it keeps everything solid. On a lot of technical trail rides I go without it. They're solid....

|

1/18/2020 3:19 PM

I have same issue on my left wrist. Live with the pain or get it fused are my only options. I tape it every day I ride and wear a brace. For years I used only a TLD compression brace on that wrist, then I jacked up my throttle hand wrist about a year ago. I bought a Möbius for that side and taped it at the beginning, now I don’t need to use tape but still wear the brace.

I think the Möbius is really good. It’s a bit of a PIA to get on and off the first dozen times or so and then you get used to it.

|

8/10/2020 6:31 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2020 6:32 AM

Probably world's dumbest question but I gotta ask.

Are wrist braces designed to stabilize wrists AFTER a fracture/sprain, or are they there to protect AGAINST fractures?

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
Current project: 2007 Kawasaki KX250-R7 retro build
Current project #2: 1987 Kawasaki KX250-E1 rider/racer resto
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/10/2020 7:44 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

Are wrist braces designed to stabilize wrists AFTER a fracture/sprain, or are they there to protect AGAINST fractures?

Been back on the bike for 2 months after fractured scaphoid and surgery. From the research I did into wrist braces the mobius are for both. I’ve got all my range of motion and strength back and still wear them in hopes they will help prevent the same injury in the future.

At first I wore them pretty tight and restricted the amount they could allow my wrist to move. Now I wear them a little more loose and allow full extension Which is still a little less than my wrist could move naturally w/o them on.

|

8/10/2020 8:27 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

The Mobius is unique in that it compresses the wrist to keep it stable after injury. The All sport Dynamic doesn't do this. EVS has a couple of compression type wrist protectors that also work great to stabilize a wrist post-injury.

|

8/10/2020 9:22 AM

Do any of the current wrist braces prevent actual breaks of the wrist? The Mobius doesn't look like it offers much break protection since when we fall we put our palms out and there isn't anything there.

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/10/2020 10:18 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

Do any of the current wrist braces prevent actual breaks of the wrist? The Mobius doesn't look like it offers much break protection since when we fall we put our palms out and there isn't anything there.

A lot wrist breaks come from hyper extension of the wrist. Not actually just falling on it. The mobius helps to reduce hyper extension the way it tightens Itself as your wrist moves back. Will it totally prevent a wrist break no. Just like guys still tear acl’s wearing knee braces, break necks with a neck brace, ribs while using a chest protector etc. But I believe it will dramatically reduce the risk of a break in the result of a hyper extension situation.

For me so far there has been no down side to wearing them. I don’t notice them while riding. If they even help me one time they are worth putting them on every-time.

|

8/10/2020 10:31 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

duckdog77 wrote:

A lot wrist breaks come from hyper extension of the wrist. Not actually just falling on it. The mobius helps to reduce hyper extension the way it tightens Itself as your wrist moves back. Will it totally prevent a wrist break no. Just like guys still tear acl’s wearing knee braces, break necks with a neck brace, ribs while using a chest protector etc. But I believe it will dramatically reduce the risk of a break in the result of a hyper extension situation.

For me so far there has been no down side to wearing them. I don’t notice them while riding. If they even help me one time they are worth putting them on every-time.

Do you wear them on both hands? how does the throttle feel?

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/10/2020 10:48 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

Do you wear them on both hands? how does the throttle feel?

Yup! I broke my right wrist but now wear them on both. I had the motion limited on throttle side for the first few weeks after I was released and I did notice it but didn’t affect my riding. Just could tell I had it on. Now that I don’t have the movement restricted I don’t notice it on either side.

|

8/10/2020 11:09 AM
Edited Date/Time: 8/10/2020 11:09 AM

duckdog77 wrote:

Yup! I broke my right wrist but now wear them on both. I had the motion limited on throttle side for the first few weeks after I was released and I did notice it but didn’t affect my riding. Just could tell I had it on. Now that I don’t have the movement restricted I don’t notice it on either side.

How about arm pump have you noticed an increase? Or did you have issues before to begin with?

|

Ride like a girl!!!
2016 KTM 500 EXC-F
1989 KX125 resto
1987 RM250 resto

8/10/2020 11:20 AM

queen of spodes wrote:

How about arm pump have you noticed an increase? Or did you have issues before to begin with?

I used to get arm pump in both arms pre broken wrist and on my 11’ KX250F with a clutch that felt like squeezing a brick! Now I’m on a 20’ KTM and don’t get any arm pump in my left arm. My right hand has been going numb after about a half hour (race harescrammbles) not really pumped up just goes numb. Judging by the fact I don’t get any pump or numbness in my left arm and wear a brace on that side as well I feel I have some strength issues or something still wrong in my wrist. It even does it on my mountain bike on long rides at around the half hour mark and I don’t wear my braces on the mountain bike.

|

8/10/2020 11:42 AM

Guys an update,

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my question and discuss your own situations. I have been running the mobius for the past 3 months. I have paired it with the FLEXX bars. Let me tell you all this has made such a difference in my riding. I can now ride in comfort without having to worry about my wrist. I rode without my mobius one time last weekend by accident,and could tell from the second I hit the first whoop that it makes a worlds difference. All said and done I paid 600+$ for this set up,and its worth every penny. I can only tell I'm wearing the brace or have the bars when Im over jumping something or coming into choppy stuff. 10/10 would recommend.

Brent

|

8/10/2020 11:44 AM

I've heard great things about the Flexx bars post wrist injury.

|

8/10/2020 11:49 AM

Might have to look into the Flexx bars if my numbness issue doesn’t go away. Have a few things I was going to try before swapping bars but that was a thought if all else fails.

|

8/10/2020 11:58 AM

Mobius user here. It’s really a preventative measure as I now have full range in my left wrist after a scaphoid fracture caused me issues. I’m thinking about buying another one for my right wrist but haven’t yet.

I don’t feel the brace limits my riding ability at all, unlike the other brace I used which created arm pump really bad.

|

-streets-

8/10/2020 12:00 PM

duckdog77 wrote:

Might have to look into the Flexx bars if my numbness issue doesn’t go away. Have a few things I was going to try before swapping bars but that was a thought if all else fails.

I ran Flexx bars for a while. They do feel nice and certainly helped with fatigue. I don’t run them anymore tho.

|

-streets-