Best way to store a bike?

GaryC1
Edited Date/Time 7/7/2018 2:13pm
I am curious if there is a "correct" way to store your bike between rides. Is it better to have the bike fully raised on a stand with no load on suspension or is it better to have it sitting under it's own weight?

Just curious if there is any benefit to doing it either way.

Cheers!
|
RedDirtDog
7/7/2018 3:14am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2018 3:17am
Ive always kicked the engine over by hand to feel it hit top dead center and store it there anytime i store it over a month. I think it's good for the valve seats but I dont hear about many guys doing it.
7/7/2018 9:08am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2018 9:09am
RedDirtDog wrote:
Ive always kicked the engine over by hand to feel it hit top dead center and store it there anytime i store it over a month...
Ive always kicked the engine over by hand to feel it hit top dead center and store it there anytime i store it over a month. I think it's good for the valve seats but I dont hear about many guys doing it.
I'm not sure there's any logic to this. Your valve seats aren't going to be damaged if a valve set is left closed for an extended period of time. If anything, perhaps it's beneficial to the valve springs to ease the tension on them but this is still without logic.

lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
7/7/2018 10:26am
I don't think it makes any difference how you store it between rides except if its going to be in storage for extended periods,then there are some thing to do so its ready to go but they are mostly fuel related. On a stand or leaned against a wall or a triangle stand wont matter. Cool

The Shop

GregDVT
7/7/2018 10:49am
I like the keep it on a stand, I feel like my fork seals last longer. My parents used to road bike to so its been ingrained in me to not leave the tires under load (a road bike tire is much different than an MX but it can't hurt.)
If it is carburated make sure to run the gas out of the carb before you store or ethanol will come and bite ya.
MR. X
7/7/2018 11:02am
Vertical
ctbale
7/7/2018 11:05am Edited Date/Time 7/7/2018 11:06am
oil the chain, drain the carb & unhook the neg battery cable if applicable, TDC compression stroke, on the stand, out of the rain, If it sits for more then a season (10 months?) , fog the engine.

Or just let me ride it, then you wont have to mess with all that
SoCalMX70
7/7/2018 2:13pm
Possibly all in my head, but I feel I've had much better luck with fork seals over the years when I've left my bikes on stands.

Springs also wear (even if over a very long period of time), so why leave any weight on the suspension when you're not riding?

Also, I pretty much never ride in July or August (SoCal), but I'll fire up my bike a couple times during this off season period. YZ250, so no bullshit electronics to worry about.

Post a reply to: Best way to store a bike?

The Latest