btn
btn
1 of 2
Related:
Create New Tag
jjmon5 jjmon5
11/10/2019 8:17 PM

I have a predicament. I am 6'7 and need some guidance on how to make my 2016 CRF450R fit me properly. The biggest problem I have is that I have to grip my bike with my shins instead of my knees. From what I have read on this forum most people suggest getting some bar risers with a higher bend and a tall seat. I have heard a few people drop their pegs but that it is not recommended. I am open to any ideas that would help me be more comfortable on my bike. It seems like once you get past 6'3 you are kind of SOL.

temporarily_locked temporarily_locked
11/10/2019 8:20 PM

6’4” here and I haven’t found anyways to make it more comfortable with out adversely effecting handling. I never vibed with taller bars or bar risers. I can get away with a stock seat but you may want to look into a taller one to make going from sitting to standing easier. Lowered pegs made my feet get pulled off too much in ruts. I’ve made everything work by adjusting my riding technique.

Spudnut Spudnut
11/10/2019 9:52 PM

A guy at my home track That rides a 500 is about your height and he runs some pretty dramatic risers and gets around pretty good

Supermega1 Supermega1
11/10/2019 10:31 PM

"Only" 6'3" but I rock a sub-mounted steering stabilizer which is basically bar risers. Along with Windham bend Pro Tapers bars and a Guts Tall seat. That gives me almost 3" at the bars and 1.3" at the seat.

For leg grip I run 3M Safety Walk on the frame to help my legs grip better. I also run a small piece on the airbox as well.

Seat Concepts also makes seat covers with rubber sides to help with leg grip as well.

I'd start with taller bars and a taller seat. Then go bar risers if you need more depending on riding style

Teamoatmealpie Teamoatmealpie
11/10/2019 11:52 PM

I run the full deal - tall bar risers, tall Windham Bend bars, tall Guts seats on 4 bikes. 1 has lowered pegs which does take some getting used too, as yep you will hit some ruts with your heels. But not a deal killer.

My main race bike has all the above minus the lowered pegs. However I do use Leg Pegz which is the copy cat of the original Steg Pegz. These are huge for grip with your legs, as you mentioned it's damn hard to do when your knees are above the seat. Gives you something to grip onto, surprisingly simple idea that works really well. Helps me ride more efficiently and save energy when standing.

Don't be afraid to try diff stuff to see what works for you.

Jeremy Macbeth Jeremy Macbeth
11/11/2019 4:31 AM

I’m 6’6”

Bar risers and/or taller bars aren’t really going to help with where your knees are positioned when you’re standing. The only thing that can do that is lowered pegs, but that’s only going to give you 1/2” at best.

I’ve never liked tall seats. We’re tall enough as it is. Sitting taller on the bike makes handling worse, especially when cornering.

I’ve learned to ride slightly squatted but still mostly grip the bike with my shins. When I’m standing on the bike, my knees are just forward of my ankles.

I do run bar risers and the cr-hi bend. I suppose this combo makes it a little easier to stand in a more squatted stance since I’m not having to hunch over with lower bars.

hellion hellion
11/11/2019 5:10 AM

Fastway pegs in the low position. Bars as far forward as your clamps allow and spaced up enough so you can stand comfortably. Seat, stock height or maybe 1/2” taller max and firmer foam.

After many many years of experimentation (I’m 6’3”) I’ve learned that the only thing that really messes up the handling is the tall seat. I’ve also learned that the 1/2” lower pegs are a huge benefit, and combined with the tall and forward bar set up, it keeps your mass centralized when standing.

The mistake many tall guys make is running really tall bars but they’re not forward enough. So when you’re standing you don’t have enough weight on the front wheel so you can’t corner standing with any confidence. Also, you’re always feeling like you’re falling backwards which makes you hold on too tight.

Xtrig makes a top triple for a few brands that has three bar mount holes. It fits their PDHS mount and they sell spacers to get them up.

Hope this helps.

245MX 245MX
11/11/2019 5:53 AM

6'4" here. With regards to the seat even if you don't go taller (although I would) try the Guts Racing "Wing" seat cover. You can find it on their site, I've been using one and it really helps for gripping on with your legs.

nascarnate326 nascarnate326
11/11/2019 6:43 AM

6’4’’ and I recently got a Kawasaki. Stock bars stock pegs bars in forward position. I’m a Honda guy but I just couldn’t find my groove on the big red. Kawi just “fits” me but is the wrong color lol.

Don’t be afraid to try another bike. Acerbes frame guards are a must have for me. I’ve learned to grip with my Boots and calves basically.

twotwosix twotwosix
11/11/2019 7:05 AM

I'm 6'2" so not as tall as you, but I am a national B level speed and I can tell you that technique becomes more and more important the taller you are. Get your suspension setup for your weight and skill level, find a taller bar bend you like and then just keep practicing perfect technique. The more drastic changes you make to the bike, the more you run the risk of limiting it's capability.

I would bet you $100 that Benny Bloss could ride a stock 450 faster than he could ride a bike with crazy tall bars/bar risers/drop pegs/different linkage/flat, tall seat. You still need the bike to handle well and it's easy to throw parts at one and F up the balance quickly. Just my experience.

Bret Bret
11/11/2019 8:00 AM

I'm 6'3" so not quite in your league. I have tried bar risers, taller bars, taller seats and lowered pegs. The worst mod was the taller seat. It really messed up the cornering. Went back to a stock seat. Lowered pegs offered very little difference when it came to the position of my knees so the difference was minimal. I did notice that I caught my feet and pegs in ruts more often. The best modification I found was bar position and height. Some bar risers will move the bars up and forward. I also prefer Renthal RC High bars and run them on all of my bikes. Nirvana for me is the Kawasaki 450. You can move the bars forward and back and you can move the pegs down a bit too. The Kawasaki is very roomy. Other things you can do as a taller rider is have your suspension set up for your height. Your body is a big lever that is going to affect the suspension quite a bit. The other thing is to adjust your riding style and get used to smacking your knees on your levers. Being tall we have some advantages, especially in the whoops. On fast straights that are torn up we can get more weight to the back too since we can stretch back much more.

Bret Bonham

Moto520 Moto520
11/11/2019 8:05 AM

6'3"....i always get a taller seat, move the bars mounts into the farthest stock location possible, run the stock Honda bar bend from 2008-2017, and get the suspension set up for me (your weight is higher up so your suspension has to be set up a little stiffer to keep it from pitching (or however you describe this). I think the Kawi is the best tall guy bike but the Honda will be fine.
I used to get the tall bar mounts but it changed the leverage a little too much so i kind of go bike to bike on that. People that ride my bike always complain but for us taller guys setup is huge.

Falcon Falcon
11/11/2019 1:16 PM

6'1" but I have long arms. I've found that moving the bar mounts forward is a great mod for me. This opens up the rider's cockpit and also makes the net handlebar height go up slightly due to angle of the top clamp. Pair that with a good, flat bar bend and you'll have a much different experience; instead of feeling like you are riding a tricycle with the bars at your knees, you'll be able to sit behind the bars a little.

Braaapin' aint easy.

wide open wally wide open wally
11/11/2019 6:01 PM
Falcon wrote:

6'1" but I have long arms. ...more

I agree. I’m 6’5 220 and the best thing I’ve done is move my bars forward in the kawi mounts and I run the Stew Bend Twin walls for years believe it or not. Flat with minimal rake, it’s the tallest bend I believe with the smallest rake. I run stock seat, I Did have the tall before and I thought it hurt me more overall comfort wise and basic at made my bar issue come back (and I was less comfortable in ruts). Also I always try to run my suspension higher in the stroke to help keep my pegs and feet from dragging as much.

Brad460 Brad460
11/11/2019 6:24 PM

6’-4” here...I’ve been running the same ProTaper KX High bend for years and find them to be perfect. I’ve found no other changes are needed.

FIREfish148 FIREfish148
11/11/2019 9:44 PM

Camp suggested running a rc high bend a while back I'm almost 6'5" and have found that the best mod. i would suggest that and getting some gripper tape for sure and an SDG tall seat. People say it throws off your center of balance cornering and it might a little, but it also gives you more to grip and extra leg room in those deep ruts when you're cornering.

Michael_Winter Michael_Winter
11/11/2019 9:50 PM

Buy a new Yamaha yzf 450... bar risers are what you need. Do not touch the seat and stay away from tall bars .. moving the bar mounts forward or back will only change the way it stears. Use your normal .. I’m 6’4 ran my mounts at
My forward for outdoors and used a bar riser by gytr that gave me max height by any riser. Bam!!! Perfect !! Suspension is critical when your tall and I swear
To this that Yamaha works well for taller people. You will be seat bouncing everything just because it feels so good!! Then you will realize this is how great it is for everyone else who’s short!! Short little ass holes!!
You will be sitting down like Dungey all over the track and relaxed .. seat bounce heaven and laying the bike over off of everything. Massive massive difference .. get
A Yamaha and the tallest
Bar mounts you can get by gytr I think it out my like 3/4 of an inch higher and have me a new world on the bike.

Bruce372 Bruce372
11/12/2019 6:24 AM

Ktm and husky makes 20mm taller set, I found it easier to move forward during cornering and easier to grip the bike when standing. For $120 for the complete setup it's easy to swap them out back to back and not major if you dont like it.

I do run wider pegs, not lowered, and pillow top grips for bigger feet and hands respectively. On my 125, I did go for a longer shifter, only because of shifting a lot more.

Still run stock bars on the ktm also.

Going one higher spring than recommended for your weight can also be helpful if you are tall.

nascarnate326 nascarnate326
11/12/2019 6:26 AM

Just curious do all the tall riders have suspension setup for their height/ weight? Can’t believe I missed that. By far the most important thing you can do.

Moto520 Moto520
11/12/2019 8:32 AM
nascarnate326 wrote:

Just curious do all the ...more

Not all tall riders but the ones that want to fine tune their bike to perfection. I think it's more critical for a tall guy to have his suspension stiff enough because we are able to get further back on the bike (need stiffer shock) and further forward (stiffer forks). It helps with the rocking for and aft

Kenny Lingus Kenny Lingus
11/12/2019 8:54 AM

I'm not that tall compared to some, I'm 6'2". I have a '18 CRF450 and got bar mounts to move bars forward and up, taller bars with less sweep, longer shift lever and wider pegs. FC suspension with one rate higher spring in the forks than normal for my weight, as well. I will be getting a seat. I'm not sure if I will get a taller one or not. It's more because of how small and hard the stock seat is, feels like a 2x4 with the 2"x side up.

We are the sum of a 1,000 lives. What we know is almost nothing at all.

A.j._Stevens A.j._Stevens
11/12/2019 11:12 AM

6'6" here. I run CR bent bars with a tall seat and stock peg position. I found that instead of gripping with my knees I grip with my ankles more. When standing I tend to ride more like Danny Hammel did over the bars

motoGleamer motoGleamer
11/12/2019 11:46 AM

I have a yz450 and I did not like running the front bar mounts. Steering felt less stable to me with that position vs back.

idworx idworx
11/12/2019 12:09 PM

I am 1,93 meter. I use 30 mm lower pegs from DirtDox for KTM/Husq (made them mainly for myself). 30 mm taller seat as well and and a DirtDox Smartbone that extends the handlebars 30 mm forward and increases them in height by ca. 10 mm. Handlebars with very little back sweep. Only way to go for me.

It is silly that the motorcycle industry only makes one frame size and us bicycle folks make at least three sizes per bike... Of course they save a lot of money that way.

50dippin 50dippin
11/12/2019 2:28 PM
idworx wrote:

I am 1,93 meter. I use 30 ...more

I would pay a premium for an XL dirtbike, since I do anyways to get the stock bike to fit me better. If just one brand made a large size they would likely capture the entire tall rider market. It seems like it could be financially viable, especially if mtb companies can get by with 4 or 5 sizes.

Crush Crush
11/12/2019 3:19 PM
idworx wrote:

50dippin wrote:

I would pay a premium for ...more

I've been thinking about this a bit since i've gotten more in to MTB.

Their sizing makes a massive difference and even more so, they're still really really really changing geometry and overall positioning on the bikes, with a lot of benefits. A lot of the longer slacker bikes, with a few clever changes are still plenty nimble, climb great etc... And the longer sizing makes it sooooo much more comfortable if you're tall.

Costs are the issue but it would be cool if there was a sizing approach.

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

idworx idworx
11/13/2019 1:23 AM

Yes, when you go longer on the "top tube" on the MX bike for an XL for example to make the bike fit, you could make the head angle slightly steeper to compensate in the handling area.

TogaSet TogaSet
11/13/2019 5:45 PM

Kawi 450

Crush Crush
11/13/2019 7:16 PM
idworx wrote:

Yes, when you go longer on ...more

Looking at MTB though, they don't do that... being centred on the bike, literally between the wheels is what they're really pushing. Lots of them are doing size relative chain stays, steeper seat tubes, longer reach etc.

If you're tall on an MX bike, you naturally will sit back further unless you close up your leg angles etc. The 2Tall kit is good for that as it draws you into the mid-point where shorter rides sit/stand naturally... but a completely longer wheelbase, proportionally done (ie, swingarm, frame points etc) would be the ultimate.

$$$$$$$$!!!!!

Cheers, Crush
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIREfish148 FIREfish148
11/13/2019 7:35 PM
idworx wrote:

50dippin wrote:

I would pay a premium for ...more

Crush wrote:

I've been thinking about ...more

bike size doesn't matter mang grin

check out ratboys setup though.
Photo

btn
btn
1 of 2

Post a Reply

Cool Wink Smile Tongue Laughing Shocked Sick Angry Blink Sad Unsure Kissing Woohoo Grinning Silly Pinch Sideways Whistling Evil Dizzy Blush Cheerful Huh Dry